Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

I finished Neuromancer for my book club. What a weird prose style. The stream of consciousness is nuts. Who's Gibson trying ape there?

Honestly maybe noir? The grungey "punk" part of cyberpunk is all criminals trying to out-criminal each other. Like Elmore Leonard stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would also rather not see a bunch of Amazon links in this thread, but since others apparently like the posts the ignore function is useful. I don't mind if people quote them to actually discuss the books, but if a significant portion of this thread turned into discussion about sourcing and buying books, or it was all "Oh yeah, this is a great deal!" then a separate thread for it would be appropriate.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For folks who’ve read Wool and are following the Silo TV version, if I started reading Wool and skipped to the point the show has reached, would I be missing anything important? Any major deviations from the book that would trip me up? I’m growing increasingly frustrated with the execution of the show, but I’m curious enough about the story to want to know where it goes.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Yeah, ignoring me is perfectly fine, but enough people like it so I'll probably keep on going. If there's any advice on how to do better I'm open to suggestions.

My only motivation is that I like reading and deals and figure other people do as well. No affiliates cause I find them sketchy. Sorry to non-US and non-Kindle goons for whom my posts are just annoying white noise.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UM5BUU/

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade and Silvereye #1) by Django Wexler - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ25BCX/

Spellslinger (#1) by Sebastien de Castell - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DNTPRK/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pradmer posted:

Yeah, ignoring me is perfectly fine, but enough people like it so I'll probably keep on going.

Please do, I appreciate it.

…just bought something off this last list in fact.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

Anyone read this? I vaguely recall reading something of his before and that it was a fun, light if ultimately shallow adventure romp.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Rendezvous with Rama that existed in my memory was a far more interesting novel than the one that I just reread. The Ramans conciously or subconciously designing everything in threes as a reflection of their triskelion form is cool, especially the cool radial robots roaming rotationwise. Points it out early with the passage talking about how useful a tail would be for navigating low or zero G environments. Holy poo poo though, every time the narrative started talking about "wife" or "wife" or "James Cook" I wanted to loving die. If you go see a boxing match and I ask you how the fight went you don't preface the bout with your parking lot adventures or quests in queuing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Kestral posted:

For folks who’ve read Wool and are following the Silo TV version, if I started reading Wool and skipped to the point the show has reached, would I be missing anything important? Any major deviations from the book that would trip me up? I’m growing increasingly frustrated with the execution of the show, but I’m curious enough about the story to want to know where it goes.

The show has invented a lot of stuff that isn't in the book, so you might be a bit confused, for example the whole George mystery is an invention for the show. The show's plot is moving much slower than the book, so the convergence point is probably fairly early on anyway. The book is a pretty easy read and quite the page-turner, so if you start from the start you'll get to where the show is fairly quickly.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Also I am filled with fury every time I read an amazon sales post, but that's just because the sales are so much better than the ones we get in my region.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

pradmer posted:

Sorry to non-US and non-Kindle goons for whom my posts are just annoying white noise.

If you post something I'm interested in I see if it's on Google books. Typically the sales on Kindle are also on Google books. Almost as if the major publishes are just putting them on sale in general. Even not using amazon I still find it helpful.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I use Kobo and I'd say like 80% of the things that are on sale on Amazon are also on sale for Kobo

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone read this? I vaguely recall reading something of his before and that it was a fun, light if ultimately shallow adventure romp.

That’s about right. Spell singer is lighter than his musketeers (I’ve for gotten the exact term) series, but his most recent The Malevolent Seven is great black comedy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Metis of the Hallway posted:

The show has invented a lot of stuff that isn't in the book, so you might be a bit confused, for example the whole George mystery is an invention for the show. The show's plot is moving much slower than the book, so the convergence point is probably fairly early on anyway. The book is a pretty easy read and quite the page-turner, so if you start from the start you'll get to where the show is fairly quickly.

The show's pacing is excruciating and the whodunnit feels forced as helllll, so if neither of those things are book problems then you've just sold me on this. Thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

ulmont posted:

That’s about right. Spell singer is lighter than his musketeers (I’ve for gotten the exact term) series, but his most recent The Malevolent Seven is great black comedy.

Greatcoats

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People quote them to comment about them, recommend them, etc, and I don't see how that's not the type of content you'd want to have here, in the thread about certain genres of fiction in The Book Barn, the forum for talking about and/or recommending books.

nthing this post, this forum can be quiet sometimes and prad's book sales posts generate discussion and geniune interest in books we haven't all read.

even if the sales are never valid for me in Australia.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

these are very YA, kind of fun and there are heaps of them. Very frothy though.

telepathic cat/weasel creature, hero without his (evil) family magic, travelling mentor with hidden secrets. nothing ground-breaking but I've certainly read worse stuff.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

If you post something I'm interested in I see if it's on Google books. Typically the sales on Kindle are also on Google books. Almost as if the major publishes are just putting them on sale in general. Even not using amazon I still find it helpful.

Yeah, I'm in Canada and don't have a Kindle, but the sales are quite often mirrored on Kobo and Google even outside the US.

Now, those aren't my first choices for where to buy books, but they're ok I guess and better than Amazon, so I'll take it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone read the Kirk Rogers series? I've seen em in ku, and the sample is basically RIGHT AT the 50/50 level of "will either be good or will be a war crime against literacy" and I can't decide if I wanna grab it or not. Thought I'd see if anyone here had read it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Just finished the Commonwealth pair by Peter Hamilton. The story starts a bit slow and I'm not the biggest fan of detectives but IN SPACE, but it turns out I am a huge fan of SPACE TRAINS. Hamilton certainly drags on a bit about glider aerodynamics or the specific characteristics of this specific JD50 space train engine but having just come off the Red Mars series I found KSR's dozen page descriptions about Martian wind patterns above Tharsis or whatever to be way worse. I could have done without the sex scenes but I haven't read a good sci fi one yet and Hamilton's seemed less cringe than other examples, though my understanding is that some of his prior writing gets a lot worse here.

The real winner however was Morning Light Mountain which may be the best portrayal of an alien intelligence I've seen in sci fi - there are definitely multiple scenes that I'll remember / rethink for quite some time. I also thought Hamilton did a decent job of thinking through the implications of different technological advances from both the human and alien perspective, did a good job of keeping the tempo up for most of the books, and more or less wrapped up the pair nicely for the reader.

I've got about 2 months of backlog on my podcasts, and after I've gone through that I'm going to jump into Hamilton's Void trilogy as my understanding is it's set in the same universe with many of the same characters 1000 years later.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anias posted:

Great. Sincerely, my apologies to prad. I will still have their account on ignore because just like people enjoy those sale posts, I do not, and ignoring them was a see less solution that didn’t require even this much disruption. It simply makes the thread much easier to read while allowing the people who want to read them to still see them. I don’t need them to stop posting, and in fact if they post something more topical than book name: price, please quote it when you respond. My only ask is that if we are going to have sale dumps in thread we avoid quoting them.

You can just keep scrolling? The universe does not exist to min/max your personal preferences you weirdo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Morning Light Mountain

Hamilton has his issues but trains running through wormholes and Morning Light Mountain push that series into the good column, sex scenes notwithstanding.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pradmer posted:

Yeah, ignoring me is perfectly fine, but enough people like it so I'll probably keep on going. If there's any advice on how to do better I'm open to suggestions.

My only motivation is that I like reading and deals and figure other people do as well. No affiliates cause I find them sketchy. Sorry to non-US and non-Kindle goons for whom my posts are just annoying white noise.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UM5BUU/

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade and Silvereye #1) by Django Wexler - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ25BCX/

I appreciate it even though I don't usually buy the stuff on sale. However the lists contain a lot of links where I'll click on them because "Oooh. Wonder what that is?" I have bought the paperback versions after doing that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I read those Peter F Hamilton novels when I was a teenager. I remember nothing but the Wormhole trains and Al Capone escaping space hell. So, thumbs up.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I remember the 80s banker made of gold who went beast mode on alien assassins(???) and that train chase at the end that went on for like over 100 pages

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Marsupial Ape posted:

I read those Peter F Hamilton novels when I was a teenager. I remember nothing but the Wormhole trains and Al Capone escaping space hell. So, thumbs up.

Those two things were from two different series though.

Agree that the Commonwealth duology is peak Hamilton, at least of the stuff that I've read. MorningLightMountain was great.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
In my defense, it was 1998.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Groke posted:

Those two things were from two different series though.

Agree that the Commonwealth duology is peak Hamilton, at least of the stuff that I've read. MorningLightMountain was great.

The POV of MLM while they are trying to figure out the "human motiles" is one of the most unsettling passages I've read in sci fi.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 7, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

fermun posted:

Yeah, I use Kobo and I'd say like 80% of the things that are on sale on Amazon are also on sale for Kobo

Same.

Kobo will also price match if they don't have it on sale.

I've also found that about 80% of the things are on sale in Canada at the same time, and another goon mentioned getting ebooks for under three Euros, so I'd assume publishers tend to just put the same book on sale in most markets simultaneously.

I've also found these posts super helpful. The categories on both Amazon and Kobo are so full of trash that it's a Herculean task just to find books that are on sale and actually good. I really appreciate Pradmer taking that on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

anilEhilated posted:

Pretty sure I read it awhile back and that it was decent and entertaining but not amazing. Not as good as Greatcoats but it's two very different series so it's not the best comparison.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Ravus Ursus posted:

Cool, I was not aware there was that much crossover so thanks to all who mentioned it.

The World Jones Made by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR01A/

Nightwings by Robert Silverberg - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHW661Q/

Empire of Sand (Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8J34CC/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Someday I am going to go read my copy of Robert Silverberg's At Winter's End and finally find out what's up with that series. I see the cover, go "ooh what's going on there" and then forget about it when I go to pick another book to read.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someday I am going to go read my copy of Robert Silverberg's At Winter's End and finally find out what's up with that series. I see the cover, go "ooh what's going on there" and then forget about it when I go to pick another book to read.

Presumably the cool times are over.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

i wouldn't bother, read 'wool' or even the dumb bit at the end of 'seveneves'.

Silverberg could really write but this one, despite an interesting premise, isn't great.

Read the Book of Skulls, Nightwings or the Majipoor series instead.

*edit*

especially if you can get the Josh Kirby cover art, not the daggy generic ones

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Josh Kirby just does rad as hell art in general doesn't he

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dervival posted:

Josh Kirby just does rad as hell art in general doesn't he

I actually can't stand his stuff but I have an affection for it anyway because it's just Discworld to me.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

oh. well that's mostly what I meant by rad as hell so same difference, really

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone read the archive undying and would you recommend it?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

pradmer posted:

Cool, I was not aware there was that much crossover so thanks to all who mentioned it.

The World Jones Made by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVR01A/

Nightwings by Robert Silverberg - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHW661Q/

Empire of Sand (Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8J34CC/

I just want to say I also appreciate these posts and look for them daily, I've gotten so many cheap books because of these posts.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I recently read The World Jones Made and, whereas I cannot remember a thnig about it now, I recall liking it at the time.

That's a powerful recommendation I realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Re: pradmer's posts of book sales

Starkk posted:

I just want to say I also appreciate these posts and look for them daily, I've gotten so many cheap books because of these posts.
:emptyquote: