Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

explosivo posted:

Hey who the gently caress cares how other people are playing the game, how about that? People have fun in different ways and if you're too dense to realize that or too much of an rear end in a top hat to let people play the huge open world game the way they want to well,
Thank you.

goferchan posted:

I think there are a lot of ways to go with Rogue & I know Whirling Blades is the meta spec but as far as leveling goes, Flurry is great. Take Puncture and the upgrade that makes it apply Vulnerable when you hit an enemy with two blades at once, take Flurry and the upgrade that makes it spread Vulnerable to all enemies hit when you hit at least one Vulnerable enemy, then get to level 15 and do the Rogue Specialization quest that sends you into the dungeon that rewards you with the "Flurry casts in a 360° angle" aspect. Then you get to zip around and get huge packs of monsters chasing you and you can stand in the middle and just buzzsaw them. The "each time Flurry damages a vulnerable enemy, you heal 1% of your maximum life" node makes you really hard to kill.
I ended up combining the Flurry Poison Imbune and Death Trap builds by dropping poison imbune for death trap.

Flurry Trap Rouge

My build/rotation is:
  1. Find group of enemies
  2. Cast Death Trap to suck them all into one spot
  3. Drop Poison Trap
  4. Drop Caltrops (which is a trap skill)
  5. Dash into the mob which automatically drops smoke grenade to daze enemies
  6. Alternate Puncture and Flurry (with 360 aspect) in middle of vulnerable, poisoned, slowed, and dazed crowd till death trap resets
  7. Go back to #2 and repeat until the mob dies

Build synergies include:
  1. Healing from Enhanced Flurry and Siphoning Strikes
  2. Pulling mobs in helps me got more targets with flurry
  3. Lucky Strikes reset traps before they deactivate with Exposure Key Passive
  4. Lots of mobility with 3 evades, 2 dashes, and 2 caltrops
  5. Improved Flurry spreads Vulnerable to the whole mob
  6. Very minimal positing required thanks to enemies getting sucked in and 360 attack of flurry, so it's a great lazy person build

orange juche posted:

Flurry Rogue is apparently s-tier in the meta and I imagine it's because of the survivability given by "flurry is 360 degrees and also 1% health gain per vulnerable enemy"
Felt like a glass cannon tool I switched to this. See build above.

Mikojan posted:

The only use case for those is when you can reduce the cooldown by a ton and have it somehow buff your existing spells

I'm playing rogue trap / barrage and with a certain captsone talent I can reduce the cooldown so much I can usually use it a few times on big monster packs. But even then the damage is ... meh

I'm hoping stacking some extra trap damage and ulti damage will make it worthwhile, or I could give up on it and just skill an imbue
It very much is. See above build!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Penetrating Shot with double imbuements seems p good. That is all.
It was great for leveling, but in World Tier 3 there's a big damage cliff and I don't think it's as good as it was at lower levels since enemies are more tanky and so there are much less explosions.

Envgard posted:

So I started with Rogue doing twisting blades but oh my god my 37 year old gamer hands get sore using controller. Its a very active playstyle so I switched to Flurry after getting into T3 and it's so much less work and only slightly less damage on bosses but better for groups. It helps that I found an aspect that allows infinite poison infusion if I proc a critical hit on a poisoned enemy. It's nice just filling up the poison bar and just walking off to the next enemy. Also helps that I can save dash and shadowstep for dodging but I can just facetank most things otherwise with all the healing. Feel like this has to have a nerf coming its way.
Check out my lazy man build above.

Verviticus posted:

a couple things:

A: if a weapon says "20% more damage to close enemies", is this across all attacks with all weapons, or just for skills associated with that weapon?
B: is there a good reason or set of reasons why my skill (death blow) is doing like 60% of its listed damage? other skills using that weapon do the right amount
A - It applies across all attacks. If you're not using that weapon in your build, they are just 'stat sticks' so don't worry about the damage, just the affixes.
B - Not sure, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stux posted:

related to this, sacred items w a +2 to a skill will end up at +3 on the final upgrade :ssh:

I don't think that's necessarily true, it depends on whether the upgrade pushes them over the ilvl breakpoint for the next tier of mods. I definitely have some sacred +2s that don't get +3 from the 5th upgrade

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just started and was having trouble with Druid, to the point that I dropped down to WT1 around level 15 because I felt super underpowered. Elites and bosses were taking forever to kill, even after shuffling around skills and upgrading equipment.

But around level 28 something just clicked and now I'm an unkillable badass lightning-spewing werebear guy. I guess I'll bump it back up now?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is anyone running this on a i7-6700k or Nvidia 970? If so, how's the performance?

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think

Hughmoris posted:

Is anyone running this on a i7-6700k or Nvidia 970? If so, how's the performance?

I'm not but also goddamn man.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CaptainAssholay posted:

I'm not but also goddamn man.

LOL I'm not as cool as I used to be. I swear, I had a kick rear end rig for the original Diablo release.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That's well over minimum requirements. 660 is minimum and 970 is recommended, this game runs on a potato.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

are i7s not good? I think I’m on an i5 6400k but my graphics card is a 3 series

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Apparently I've overestimated this games minimum specs, 660? Jesus christ.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man im really over the build/spend cycle. really trying to get my druid through the level 50 hump but every legendary i've picked up has been for landslide/trampleslide but i haaaate the cooldown based cycle, then maybe landslide twice then swing my slow rear end attack 6 times before doing 2 more landslides.

really wish some pulverize or storm legendaries would drop

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

queeb posted:

man im really over the build/spend cycle. really trying to get my druid through the level 50 hump but every legendary i've picked up has been for landslide/trampleslide but i haaaate the cooldown based cycle, then maybe landslide twice then swing my slow rear end attack 6 times before doing 2 more landslides.

really wish some pulverize or storm legendaries would drop

Coming from playing a lot of PoE I was just thinking how different the skill philosophies are. I'm really enjoying with my twisting blades rogue how active the playstyle is. I'm zipping around using a lot of buttons, whereas poe encourages having one skill and spamming it forever. Also how dynamic health sustain is, it feels like there's a lot of push and pull and my health is going up and down all the time, where in Poe you're basically immortal until you suddenly die.

I get the builder spender frustration though, it feels like something you always want to build around so you have maximum uptime on your good skills, it feels kind of dumb to have skills that are just there to be poo poo and take up a skill slot. To compare to poe again, in that you solve mana issues on your build and then you never have to stop spamming, which can also be a bit boring. combat feels much more dynamic in this, but I wouldn't want to play a build that still relies on builder skills into endgame.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm 0/4 against the butcher, the latest attempt at lvl 56 on my ranged rogue build. I'm starting to think it's probably not even possible as a ranged rogue without using pots or very specific legendary imbues. I've seen melee rogues handle him without much issue.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

are i7s not good? I think I’m on an i5 6400k but my graphics card is a 3 series

The i7 isn't the important part. That's an ~8 year old CPU my man.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Butcher seems to be balanced for a higher tier than you are, he's a bastard.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The story for this game fire as hell.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That Act VI cutscene ruled

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

Thank you.

I ended up combining the Flurry Poison Imbune and Death Trap builds by dropping poison imbune for death trap.

Flurry Trap Rouge

My build/rotation is:
  1. Find group of enemies
  3. Drop Poison Trap
  6. Alternate Puncture and Flurry (with 360 aspect) in middle of vulnerable, poisoned, slowed, and dazed crowd till death trap resets

Build synergies include:
  6. Very minimal positing required thanks to enemies getting sucked in and 360 attack of flurry, so it's a great lazy person build

It was great for leveling, but in World Tier 3 there's a big damage cliff and I don't think it's as good as it was at lower levels since enemies are more tanky and so there are much less explosions.

A - It applies across all attacks. If you're not using that weapon in your build, they are just 'stat sticks' so don't worry about the damage, just the affixes.
B - Not sure, sorry.

You didn't "combine builds" you read the descriptions and realized that pulling things together then using aoe is a good idea.

Diablo 4 actually tells you what everything does and it's incredible for it.

Following a "build guide" is ruining a huge part of the games satisfaction and you're wrong if you do it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

McLarenF1 posted:

Thank you.

Flurry Trap Rouge

My build/rotation is:
  1. Find group of enemies
  3. Drop Poison Trap

Build synergies include:

B - Not sure, sorry.

If this guy can make a build, anyone can

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

satanic splash-back posted:

You didn't "combine builds" you read the descriptions and realized that pulling things together then using aoe is a good idea.

Diablo 4 actually tells you what everything does and it's incredible for it.

Following a "build guide" is ruining a huge part of the games satisfaction and you're wrong if you do it.

So many basement dwelling autists in this thread.

Some people just like pressing buttons fast and making poo poo explode.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

goferchan posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true, it depends on whether the upgrade pushes them over the ilvl breakpoint for the next tier of mods. I definitely have some sacred +2s that don't get +3 from the 5th upgrade

huh, all mine have as long as they had +2 as the base and not +1. will have to experiment see where exactly thhe breakpoint is so i dont waste resources lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kin33 posted:

So many basement dwelling autists in this thread.

Some people just like pressing buttons fast and making poo poo explode.

if you dont have the mental faculty to looka t the skill description that has in big flashing letters what affixes you need on gear you deserve to be flamed endlessly, and of course, blown away with a .45

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Whatever.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
I like using the starter guides on maxroll but once legendaries start dropping I build around them. I'm mostly a smooth brain but with the skill descriptions even I feel clever in putting together my own builds.

Look at me, I'm a D4 centrist!

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to be in the original goon squad but I fell off a pole and was in hospice.

Instead I applied for CoG

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
The whole tree of whispers sequence is loving fantastic

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Xbox making GBS threads the bed, stuck on transition screen.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Stux posted:

if you dont have the mental faculty to looka t the skill description that has in big flashing letters what affixes you need on gear you deserve to be flamed endlessly, and of course, blown away with a .45

Or, maybe people just don't care about that poo poo and play games for different reasons than you. Go zoom zoom and make boom boom. Reading is for nerds.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I haven't raged at a game in a while, but that kor dragan boss fight is loving bullshit

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am trying to avoid poo poo while doing my initial campaign with my first character, but I cannot help but feel I am playing this game very wrong.

I am level 42 and am in act 2, I have not unlocked mounts yet and see dudes half my level riding them around. Am I just doing way too much side stuff or something?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pretty much, campaign caps out at level 50, you can level beyond that but mobs wont scale higher so you're "wasting" exp at that point, you get the mount later int he acts

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That Act VI cutscene ruled

The light vs dark battle scene? Yes... definitely one of the best cutscenes I've seen in a long time and, if you want to show it off to someone else: https://youtu.be/FIQPLo0kzbc

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

drat this game is big lol, I had to eventually start skipping some sidequests and now I figure that will mix things up a bit with my next character since I can just do the ones I missed as I level. Some surprisingly neat little bits of lore and micro-stories in some of them, though there are also a lot of "go here and kill X" type of things.

Only thing that bums me out a little is you don't seem to really get any sidequests from finding little hidden trinkets or journals or anything. A few books you can loot give you a sidequest but it always just seems to be "port to town and talk to the guy who lost it" type of stuff. A lot of the exploration manages to feel both organic and non-diegetic at the same time, in the sense that I'm stumbling across all these cool nooks and crannies but it doesn't really feel like my character is exploring, if that makes sense. Mostly it seems like he's wondering who keeps building mile-long root cellars in the middle of the desert.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
If I join a friend's game and do a quest that was available to me in my game, but that I hadn't gotten to yet, the progress carries over to my own campaign, and when I play solo again, the game reflects that quest as done -- right? Or is progress only made in the host's game?

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Do poison/aoe casting mobs hurt the friendlies you're supposed to protect during events? I think I just had a trio of poison shamans nuke all 3 of the survivors before their spawn animation was over.

Almost cleared at 25 w/ another goon this evening, unfortunately I am made of tissue paper and got cannot seem to remember which monsters explode on death. (they all do at this point).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ultrachrist posted:

Injured is below… 35%? And healthy is 85%+.

Loading screen told me this.

Healthy is 80 not 85

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've tripled by damage output since yesterday. Helltides are the poo poo for getting upgraded in WT3

I have a ton of fun filtering through new loot and trying to see how it fits into my build. I kinda want to try a bow build but twisting blades is crazy when you stack all the buffs on a single target

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

faantastic posted:

Do poison/aoe casting mobs hurt the friendlies you're supposed to protect during events? I think I just had a trio of poison shamans nuke all 3 of the survivors before their spawn animation was over.

Almost cleared at 25 w/ another goon this evening, unfortunately I am made of tissue paper and got cannot seem to remember which monsters explode on death. (they all do at this point).

Never, ever do the "make sure hostages survive" events :)

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

how long til girl Marius fucks everything up for us?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Astryl posted:

how long til girl Marius fucks everything up for us?

I mean things are already pretty hosed as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Blizzard: "The world thinks our company is full of chauvinistic assholes, what can we do?"

Also Blizzard: https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1666166527953977345