Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I had a feeling after I typed that this might happen. I think that's the first time a thing I said ended up as a thread title. Pretty fun.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I love Pikmin 4's plot. What a bunch of goofballs.
I'm so hyped for Pikmin 4 now!

My dream Pikmin game has always been a more open world survival-y game, with a character creator, where building up and running around with your Pikmin is more free form and low pressure, and for the high pressure challenge bits there would be Pikmin 2 style dungeons. I think we saw something like dungeons in one of the other trailers. Now we've got a character creator. The fact that you're just one of dozens of random explorers bodes well for chill self-paced exploration with pikmin friends!

It seems like a small thing, but character customization is a really fun feature. I think this might really be my ideal Pikmin game.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The completely weird and alien nature of the wildlife helps combined with your and the Pikmin's general helplessness. The fact they get eaten doesn't help because that's just straight up one of the worst ways to die.

In so many games you just get killed/shot but in Pikmin you get digested.
And the pikmin scream as they die, oh god their screams. Their cute, charming screams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Just catching up. I'm 95+ hours and 103 shrines into BotW.
Holy poo poo, game of the decade 2012-2022.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Hey guys just got fight crab anybody down to play plz let me know

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Quick couch and big TV update, someone ran a stop sign and hit my son while he was riding his bike home from school. He was wearing his helmet, but they got him pretty good and trashed his bike. Just got back from the doctor, he's got some bruises and road rash, but other wise he's ok. His thumbs are fine, though, so he's enjoying some TOTK (I let him play on my account, given the situation) and he's created a scorpion like fan flier that is armed to the teeth.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wow wow wow loving woooooow

I was very much not expecting to stumble across the master sword there, of all places. An all time great gaming moment I think

agreed, my favorite Zelda moment period

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hrist posted:

It's taking forever because the movie did so well. Mario keeps demanding to renegotiate his whole contract now that he "famous" and all.

All the kids in my daughter's kindergarten have been singing songs from that movie at drop offs for a while now.
Seems real popular in the 5or6yo demographic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

beer gas canister posted:

It loving ruled

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

i must compose posted:

How does that run?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

i must compose posted:

Fight crab rules.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

B33rChiller posted:

How does that run?

Sideways

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

otter posted:

Sideways

Hahaha, yeah!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As someone else said, 2 fans and a steering stick makes a nice glider. Add a big glow up front and yer set. Then go to hyrule, find a shrine, click it, drop down, mark that spot. Do that for all the shrines you have. Then fly from shrine marker to shrine marker underground and you'll find the rest if you keep looking at the map to see dark areas you missed. Anything that is newly lit up, look for the dark red stuff and go check that out. Mines are obvious due to the platform layouts. Yiga bases becme obvious, too. As do the ascendalators. Black spots are impassable and are mirrors of water up above. In fact, as far as I can see, the vast majority of the depths is just hyrule in reverse. The steeper the moutain, the deeper the valley underground. You can even use your hyrule minimap as a guide as you fly around underground.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Pikmin 1 has such a lonely atmosphere, particularly for a Nintendo game. The calm but odd music, the time limit, and the very casual and natural violence that fills the game was so initially off-putting when I first played it as a kid. Even now going back to it, it has a unique vibe the sequels never hit.

The time limit and constraints are an important part of the series, but one I understand is alienating at first. For anyone who hasn't touched a Pikmin but wants to try, I'd recommend starting with 1 and going from there. It's a quick game, and the time limit is a non-issue if you commit to trying to just get 2 pieces during a day or two. You otherwise don't need to multitask too much unless you're returning to the series and want to treat it as either a sort of score attack or speed run.

2 and 3 are probably better games than 1, but I don't think they capture the same vibe.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
3 stops right when it gets going, it needed one more area once you get all the Pikmin so you can play with all your tools some more

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The other Pikman games have too many controls and buttons to worry about. The first one is a perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. The Gamecube controller really shined.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
how the gently caress am i supposed to set up the two fans/control stick air bike combo because i keep hearing its a good way to get around and every time it throws me around like a 2 year old trying to hold a fire hose

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Pikmin 1 was the game that sold me on the Gamecube. I saw it at my friend's house and it made me say, "Wait, this is something special". Then I sank hundreds of hours into Animal Crossing and spent insane amounts of money (What was it, $59??) on Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how the gently caress am i supposed to set up the two fans/control stick air bike combo because i keep hearing its a good way to get around and every time it throws me around like a 2 year old trying to hold a fire hose

You have to have them as perfectly lined up as possible. And even your best efforts might have a little bit of drift. If you're trying it in a low gravity area it really hard to control

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wow wow wow loving woooooow

I was very much not expecting to stumble across the master sword there, of all places. An all time great gaming moment I think

Your next stop should be Doing the Tears memories. Do them in the order on the walls in the canyon temple Impa took you to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your next stop should be Doing the Tears memories. Do them in the order on the walls in the canyon temple Impa took you to.

Just do them in whatever order you want. I didn't even go down there until I had like two left to see

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Been trying out tons of poo poo on NSO and holy poo poo contra hard corps is cool. Also, completely impossible to where I don't even want to rewind because I recognize my limits

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

CainFortea posted:

You have to have them as perfectly lined up as possible. And even your best efforts might have a little bit of drift. If you're trying it in a low gravity area it really hard to control

So you're saying there's some stick drift happening?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Like this:

_/
/

The straight line is the steering stick. The other two are fans. The fans air should point away from the direction you are facing. You could use a stake to start with. Put the stake straight into the ground. Flip the stick and put it on top and attach it so it is level. Then attach the fans.

Or look on youtube.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waltzing Along posted:

Like this:

_/
/

The straight line is the steering stick. The other two are fans. The fans air should point away from the direction you are facing. You could use a stake to start with. Put the stake straight into the ground. Flip the stick and put it on top and attach it so it is level. Then attach the fans.

Or look on youtube.

Don't attach it if you're wanting to use it in auto-build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also when you steer lean forward on the stick as it'll respond much better, and be less likely to flip.

Also the short version of building the airbike is to have both fans angled at 45 degress facing back and down. One attached to the front of your steerinf stick, one behind, ideally parallel with eachother.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use a more Segway inspired design, it’s cool there are so many ways to do it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I legit think a remake of 1 with 3's engine would be the best Pikmin game by a long shot. I think its my favorite in the series ideas-wise, but the execution has a lot of jank that the other 2 (especially 3) really smooth out.

2 is a weirdly mean game. It gives you tools like Purple Pikmin, White Pikmin, and Bitter Spray that on the surface seem like they'd neutralize any challenge. Then you get to the level design of the later caves and realize nope, gently caress this, I am not pulling punches anymore. It also has the most different vibe in the series, which might be why its either the favorite or least favorite with no in between.

3 feels like the easiest for newcomers to wrap their heads around, but the QOL features might make returning to 1 and 2 a little hard. Its also the easiest game in the series by far. It has a lot of personality, though. Especially in Deluxe, where they bring the Piklopedia back with tons of extra content.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 7, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bought one of those 8bitdo wireless controller adaptors and it's kind of magical being able to just use an Xbox controller for the Switch, hopefully this will make playing shooters a little easier than with the default sticks on my Switch Lite

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

So you're saying there's some stick drift happening?

lol, yes.

Unless this isn't a joke and the answer is no. It's just part of the physics. Your controllers are fine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Purah called me Linky. She’s my gf now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the current state of the Switch “version” of Ocarina of Time? I heard it was laggy and had graphical issues. Is that still the case?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the current state of the Switch “version” of Ocarina of Time? I heard it was laggy and had graphical issues. Is that still the case?

This very well may be the case but when I first heard it I definitely assumed that the people crowing about it had just never played Ocarina of Time.

"Lots of input delay and the framerate is terrible" like yeah bud it's Ocarina of TIme

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

beer gas canister posted:

This is just genuinely the best Zelda experience ever and I say that as someone who has played pretty much all of them except for skyward sword cuz ew lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

trevorreznik posted:

Been trying out tons of poo poo on NSO and holy poo poo contra hard corps is cool. Also, completely impossible to where I don't even want to rewind because I recognize my limits

When the Konami Contra collection came out I ended up playing through that like six times in a row for all the endings and it's a great feeling once you know all the bosses enough to do them without relying on any emulator shenanigans.
Fun fact the JP version had a health meter system which they took out for the US/EU release which is why it feels brutal even compared to other Contra games. Though I still say Shattered Soldier is harder and doesn't have that excuse lol

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I'm extremely loving it and think I've already passed my Elden Ring playtime. Still though, Majora's mask is still the GOAT zelda for me. Nothing can beat that atmosphere

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Quick couch and big TV update, someone ran a stop sign and hit my son while he was riding his bike home from school. He was wearing his helmet, but they got him pretty good and trashed his bike. Just got back from the doctor, he's got some bruises and road rash, but other wise he's ok. His thumbs are fine, though, so he's enjoying some TOTK (I let him play on my account, given the situation) and he's created a scorpion like fan flier that is armed to the teeth.

can't believe you'd run your own son over to restore your image

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CainFortea posted:

lol, yes.

Unless this isn't a joke and the answer is no. It's just part of the physics. Your controllers are fine.

You say that but both my pairs of joy cons have been fine for three years and started drifting during TotK. I may have been putting excessive strain on them, idk what makes them start to drift.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Fun fact the JP version had a health meter system which they took out for the US/EU release which is why it feels brutal even compared to other Contra games. Though I still say Shattered Soldier is harder and doesn't have that excuse lol
My understanding based on an interview with the director I read years ago is that it was actually vice-versa - the life bar was added to the Japanese release after the US version was completed, because... I forget the reason exactly, it was some rambly stuff about how the domestic market couldn't handle action games anymore because they played JRPGs too much or something.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Lisa the Painful and Joyful coming to Switch next month is going to be a very depressing experience for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Wow, I can't believe you tried to run over your own son just to get them bedridden too so you can play more TotK. This one sure backfired on you, huh?? :smuggo:.

(Glad your kid's okay!)