Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Deki posted:

The peak of Irony would be if China's hypersonics are just as poo poo as Russia's (apparently they worked pretty closely together on their respective missile programs), and this ended up with America having a new toy purpose built to gently caress with the Navy China's trying to build

it's the MiG-25 all over again! :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The commander of the joint forces of Ukraine, Sergiy Naev said that the flooding of the territories after the emergency at Kakhovka HPP will not interfere with the offensive of the Ukrainian troops

(not actually from this flooding, just a joke about ukrainian troops stealing flooded out tanks like they did with the tractors. the statement from Naev is real though)

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Deki posted:

The peak of Irony would be if China's hypersonics are just as poo poo as Russia's (apparently they worked pretty closely together on their respective missile programs), and this ended up with America having a new toy purpose built to gently caress with the Navy China's trying to build

We can always dust off this old classic if that comes to pass.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i've read that the soviet model tanks were designed to be capable of snorkeling across the bottoms of shallow rivers. this seems like something that neither side would even bother trying if any river or stream with the necessary accessibility were to be found

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i've read that the soviet model tanks were designed to be capable of snorkeling across the bottoms of shallow rivers. this seems like something that neither side would even bother trying if any river or stream with the necessary accessibility were to be found

the snorkels were notoriously bad and in trials using them for amphibious crossings resulted in lots of drowned tankers because even when the snorkels worked, the loving crew compartments weren't watertight lol

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Zippy the Bummer posted:

many modern tanks have this capability, but something has probably gone terribly wrong if you are actually trying to use it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tiaz posted:

many modern tanks have this capability, but something has probably gone terribly wrong if you are actually trying to use it

The issue can often be worked around by shooting the lieutenant.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Not only did Russian army not evacuate its troops, it didnt even tip off the defenders because it would've alerted the Ukrainians to what they were going to do

:byewhore:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

the snorkels were notoriously bad and in trials using them for amphibious crossings resulted in lots of drowned tankers because even when the snorkels worked, the loving crew compartments weren't watertight lol

Would you want to be the one testing if that shoddily made Soviet coffin is waterproof?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 7, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lol that prigozhin is becoming a poster. No doubt competing with girkin for saltiest dog online fighting for Russia

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

5d chess once again! :bravo:

Maybe the tankies will find a sock commonly worn by ever-uhh, us special forces?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Would you want to be the testing if that shoddily made Soviet coffin is waterproof?

quote:

All modern Soviet/Russian tanks since the 1960s (such as the T-55, T-72, T-90) may deep ford. Russian snorkels are only a few inches wide; they may be carried by tanks and erected in minutes. Underwater crossings are unpopular with crews as escape is impossible through such small snorkels; a stuck or disabled tank must be towed back to the surface before the crew can exit. Large diameter snorkels are often used in exercises for safety.

lol now that you mention it, no

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

HonorableTB posted:

you mean to say that the method for hermetically sealing the tanks, which had been constructed to do that, did not work, letting in water that drowned the crew because their small scuba kits that had been constructed, delivered to supply, sent through the logistical chain, and issued to the tankers prior to the crossing attempt, did not properly function?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

you mean to say that the method for hermetically sealing the tanks, which had been constructed to do that, did not work, letting in water that drowned the crew because their small scuba kits that had been constructed, delivered to supply, sent through the logistical chain, and issued to the tankers prior to the crossing attempt, did not properly function?

the aristocrats! (yes, precisely). The reason for this is that Soviet tanks often had much larger manufacturing tolerances compared to western tanks. As long as enough of them worked well enough the Soviet design bureaus and procurement bureaucracy were okay with accepting abysmal failure rates on the aggregate under the thought that any war against NATO would need to be wrapped up within a week or the nukes would fly so zerg rushing with large amounts of overall shittier tanks but getting to the Rhine in a week was worth drowning 30% of your tanker crews trying to actually ford the Rhine itself. This was flawed strategic thinking for many reasons as you can surmise (not least because the same Soviet doctrine that they followed which dictated this also started off hostilities with a pre-emptive series of tactical nuclear strikes in West and East Germany to clear the way to the Fulda Gap invading from Poland which would have triggered MAD immediately anyway)

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 7, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

the aristocrats! (yes, precisely). The reason for this is that Soviet tanks often had much larger manufacturing tolerances compared to western tanks. As long as enough of them worked well enough the Soviet design bureaus and procurement bureaucracy were okay with accepting abysmal failure rates on the aggregate under the thought that any war against NATO would need to be wrapped up within a week or the nukes would fly so zerg rushing with large amounts of overall shittier tanks but getting to the Rhine in a week was worth drowning 30% of your tanker crews trying to actually ford the Rhine itself. This was flawed strategic thinking for many reasons as you can surmise (not least because the same Soviet doctrine that they followed which dictated this also started off hostilities with a pre-emptive series of tactical nuclear strikes in West and East Germany to clear the way to the Fulda Gap invading from Poland which would have triggered MAD immediately anyway)

Gallant uses his nuclear arsenal to perform oil exploration and construct shipping lanes for civilian purposes in Alaska.

Goofus uses his nuclear arsenal to annihilate everything between his forces and the Fulda Gap, triggering the end of the world.

makes u think

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

Gallant uses his nuclear arsenal to perform oil exploration and construct shipping lanes for civilian purposes in Alaska.

Goofus uses his nuclear arsenal to annihilate everything between his forces and the Fulda Gap, triggering the end of the world.

makes u think

you may or may not be surprised to learn that in 2010 when the Deepwater Horizon oil rig broke and spilled a bajillion barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, Russia offered legitimate assistance to the United States about how to shut the oil well down by way of advising the detonation of a small yield nuclear weapon at the wellhead to seal it off because that's what they do when they have the same problem and Obama's reaction was essentially :stare:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HonorableTB posted:

Not only did Russian army not evacuate its troops, it didnt even tip off the defenders because it would've alerted the Ukrainians to what they were going to do

Lends credence to the idea Russia was trying to flood enough to stop a cross river attack, not a major biblical level flood that would gently caress themselves even worse.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

you may or may not be surprised to learn that in 2010 when the Deepwater Horizon oil rig broke and spilled a bajillion barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, Russia offered legitimate assistance to the United States about how to shut the oil well down by way of advising the detonation of a small yield nuclear weapon at the wellhead to seal it off because that's what they do when they have the same problem and Obama's reaction was essentially :stare:

I reserve all of my surprise with regards to Deepwater Horizon for the fact that one of the shears on the blowout preventer was wired backwards, but also its battery died due to a totally separate wiring fault, allowing the redundant successfully powered motor to actuate without fighting the backwards-wired motor. Not that it prevented the disaster as intended despite that "two failures make a success" serendipity.

I'll leave it there since this isn't the OSHA thread but my god, strong recommend for the USCSB youtube video on the subject, it's :stare: all the way down

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Sucks to suck, occupiers. :byewhore:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

I reserve all of my surprise with regards to Deepwater Horizon for the fact that one of the shears on the blowout preventer was wired backwards, but also its battery died due to a totally separate wiring fault, allowing the redundant successfully powered motor to actuate without fighting the backwards-wired motor. Not that it prevented the disaster as intended despite that "two failures make a success" serendipity.

I'll leave it there since this isn't the OSHA thread but my god, strong recommend for the USCSB youtube video on the subject, it's :stare: all the way down

Ooh I love OSHA related things, wanna know what else was installed backwards?

(unmanned rocket, no injuries)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLnNc_0TnXA

This Russian rocket was carrying a payload of GLONASS satellites to add to the Roscosmos constellation. However, the technicians, when assembling the rocket, took a look at the critical angularity velocity sensors, tried to install them, couldn't install them, and then took a hammer to BEAT THEM INTO PLACE UPSIDE DOWN since they couldn't be installed "normally" (because..they were upside down..)

This caused the rocket to think it was actually upside down when it WASN'T, and because as we all know guided missiles know where they are because the missile knows where it ISN'T, the rocket promptly spun around in mid-air and flew nose-first into the ground 32 seconds after liftoff.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666306424434032643
Russian air defense scored another own goal.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Fresh numbers off the presses, lots of zinky boys today and hachi machi that's a lot of artillery systems destroyed.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 7, 2023

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

HonorableTB posted:

lots of zinky boys today

don't be ghoulish.

the preferred nomenclature is Lada token.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Plus those troops and equipment Russia sent to reinforce the Black Sea submarine fleet by not telling beforehand that the troops stationed upstream are going to blow the dam them moment UAF counterattacks.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

frumpykvetchbot posted:

don't be ghoulish.

the preferred nomenclature is Lada token.

fish brick exchange ratio is what these days?

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if that 800 figure includes the Russian own-goal of literally liquidating their own soldiers downstream.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Skanky Burns posted:

I wonder if that 800 figure includes the Russian own-goal of literally liquidating their own soldiers downstream.

In an uncommon seriouspost from me, the dam's destruction was an absolutely calamitous event. The flood waters are not expected to dissipate into the Black Sea for up to 2 weeks, and therefore it is extremely unlikely that casualty counts, whether civilian, Ukrainian, Russian, animal, or human, will be known for quite some time, and will likely never be fully known in the same vein as other mass casualty events such as tsunamis and hurricane storm surges. If anyone would have those figures, it would be the RU Ministry of Defense, and since they didn't bother telling their own boys to get the gently caress out before flooding them to death, there's likely never going to be anything like a real accounting of the losses from this on the Russian side. I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin to count the casualties from this because from all satellite imagery, ground footage, and released intelligence reports, the entire Russian first echelon of defensive fortifications in the Zaporizhzhia oblast along the Dnipro is just etch-a-sketched out of existence.

E: and here's the start of the resulting consequences for the ecocide Russia perpetrated. Ukraine's getting "a significant number" of F-16s where Zelenskyy had hoped for a handful

https://news.yahoo.com/zelensky-ukraine-receive-significant-number-170719307.html

E2: Russians mined the flood waters so the mines would float downstream and wash up along the river bank south of Nova Kakhovka:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

HonorableTB posted:

In an uncommon seriouspost from me, the dam's destruction was an absolutely calamitous event. The flood waters are not expected to dissipate into the Black Sea for up to 2 weeks, and therefore it is extremely unlikely that casualty counts, whether civilian, Ukrainian, Russian, animal, or human, will be known for quite some time, and will likely never be fully known in the same vein as other mass casualty events such as tsunamis and hurricane storm surges. If anyone would have those figures, it would be the RU Ministry of Defense, and since they didn't bother telling their own boys to get the gently caress out before flooding them to death, there's likely never going to be anything like a real accounting of the losses from this on the Russian side.

yeah for anyone struggling to visualize the scale of the disaster, dam is (was) the red line, reservoir is circled

that's a body of water 1/3 the size of delaware and in terms of volume, about 2/3 of lake mead or lake powell

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 7, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah for anyone struggling to visualize the scale of the disaster, dam is (was) the red line, reservoir is circled

that's a body of water 1/3 the size of delaware.

Thanks for this, it really helps provide some context. For added context on top of that, the reservoir that is currently draining into the Black Sea held 18km^3 of water volume at the time the dam was breached. That's the same volume of water as the volume of lava released during the eruption of Krakatoa in the eruption that produced a year without a summer due to atmospheric pollution

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666314661698981889
gently caress off, you think you're not going to pay for this? By the time this war ends, you won't have anything resembling an army.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nuke my dang balls right here right now

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean he ain't wrong

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Do you have a source for this?

I'm totally open to believing it, but I had a pretty strong feeling that aside from North Korea, nobody has been actually detonating nukes since the nuclear test ban treaties came into effect and thought that pretty much any nuke detonation would have been detected by US SIGINT so even if true, it shouldn't have surprised Obama. So I'd be interested to read about it if I'm wrong.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXWQoyXwZA
Insights from Ukraine and Russia with a couple new interceptions, including wild claims that Pigozhin somehow found 200,000 people to replenish the ranks of his mercs, information that apparently Russia wants Ukraine to occupy the villages past the Ukrainian border so they can indiscriminately shell them, and one pretty damning bit where he posted a poll that 72% of the locals in Shebekino (where the Russian volunteer corps are at now) voted in agreement for the "special military operation" to happen. Guess it's hitting a lot different now that the war came home to them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Reporting from Ukraine proposed a theory about the dam. Basically the Russians wanted to prevent Ukrainians from launching attacks in the Kherson direction because that would pull away troops from the main assault. So they decided to flood the islands in the middle of the river. Only they hosed it up. Badly.

https://youtu.be/RQbQXUxfhGM

(disregard the clickbait thumbnail, his videos always have those but the content isn't sensational like that.)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The good news, as little as can be got from that situation, is that the Ukrainians did manage to successfully evacuate their positions and most of their kit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

5d chess once again! :bravo:

Maybe the tankies will find a sock commonly worn by ever-uhh, us special forces?

They'll find footwraps and declare that smoking gun evidence for the dam breach to be due to NATO forces.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

spankmeister posted:

Reporting from Ukraine proposed a theory about the dam. Basically the Russians wanted to prevent Ukrainians from launching attacks in the Kherson direction because that would pull away troops from the main assault. So they decided to flood the islands in the middle of the river. Only they hosed it up. Badly.

https://youtu.be/RQbQXUxfhGM

(disregard the clickbait thumbnail, his videos always have those but the content isn't sensational like that.)

This doesn't gel with the fact that the russians closed the spillway gates and kept them closed for days before the bombing, in order to raise the reservoir water level to a historical high.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666012180217462785/photo/1

The hydroelectric generators were in operation and there was local power to control the gates, so if all they wanted to do was create a controlled amount of flooding, they could have done so.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

peanut posted:

nuke my dang balls right here right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

frumpykvetchbot posted:

The hydroelectric generators were in operation and there was local power to control the gates, so if all they wanted to do was create a controlled amount of flooding, they could have done so.

Not deniably, though up to interpretation if that's sufficient.