Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The fetus voices your skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the "maybe a sequel with a pregnant woman?" thing is pre-release wondering from kurvitz himself https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/disco-elysium-sequel

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

World War Mammories posted:

the "maybe a sequel with a pregnant woman?" thing is pre-release wondering from kurvitz himself https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/disco-elysium-sequel

That's it! That's where I remember it from! I didn't dream it!

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 6, 2023

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Harry is pregnant with Kim

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Play as La Revacholiere.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You are pregnant with The Revolution.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's it! That's where I remember it from! I didn't dream it!
That quote came out before the game was released but it still stuck with me. It made me think the sequel would be about Klaasje as she partied pretty hard in Revachol and theres far more ambiguity with her than any other character in the game. She'd still have a thought cabinet but it would be vastly different from Harry's.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Crain posted:

Playing around with the concept of "Magpies" in the DE world would be fascinating. If anyone doesn't (I'm assuming most here do) know that term, I don't think it's explicitly in the game but in the expanded lore and concept work there's an idea for people who can pull memories/ideas from the future (or maybe also steal them from the past?) via the Pale somehow, and that partly feeds into the spread of the Pale.

You could have a character/protagonist that is somehow using that to augment themselves which ends up causing more problems. Have the game really center around choices between failing in minor ways or struggling through the game by avoiding using that power, or saying "gently caress you, got mine" and only acting for short term success.

But yeah, that could really quickly turn into a massive concept ouroboros.

This is present in both the game and the novel. In the game, you have the Paledriver; in the novel, there's Ulv, the self-chiller, who employs his ability to read the Pale (through, and I poo poo you not, the sheer bass power of anodic dance music) to help solve deaths and disappearences. The protagonists visit him midway through the book. Additionally, in the book's epilogue, Ion Rodionov, a key, yet forgotten figure in the Revolution shares a completely accurate prediction of the future with a composer; the same composer whose music sets Ulv on the path of self-chilling

Then, of course, there's La Revacholiere in the church. The term isn't explicitly named but the phenomenon is present in both works, more prominently in the novel.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

If they did a sequel I would hope for a non Harry story in another area of the world, giving us more info about the people/culture, and more stuff on the pale.

Oh also an American Truck Sim spin off where you're a paledriver and the end of the game is you going insane.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Is there a greater point to Cunoese? I remember people making bad takes about Cuno's rehabilitation, but nothing about Cunoese.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

not sure what you mean by "point," but cunoesse is probably a trafficking victim. cuno says he suspects that she was in one of the *snuff milieus* that the game brings up occasionally, forced to kill somebody, and I fear he's right. encyclopedia says that the finnish she speaks is from katla, which is basically as far from revachol as it's possible to be. so the conclusion I think one is intended to draw is that she was trafficked from a world away and chewed up by the worst of revachol's underworld, and she is therefore understandably hosed up beyond recognition.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
SET ME FREE

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Awwww, she looks so cute in that hat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

A woman? Pregnant? How does that happen?

women are bourgeois, casting one as a protagonist is a sure sign de2 has sold out

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

women are bourgeois, casting one as a protagonist is a sure sign de2 has sold out

Has Disco Elysium gone woke?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

World War Mammories posted:

not sure what you mean by "point," but cunoesse is probably a trafficking victim. cuno says he suspects that she was in one of the *snuff milieus* that the game brings up occasionally, forced to kill somebody, and I fear he's right. encyclopedia says that the finnish she speaks is from katla, which is basically as far from revachol as it's possible to be. so the conclusion I think one is intended to draw is that she was trafficked from a world away and chewed up by the worst of revachol's underworld, and she is therefore understandably hosed up beyond recognition.

It's funny that something a thousand times more hosed up than the murder is happening like ten feet away from the body and you can't even write it down in your cop notebook. No wonder Harry threw it in the dumpster.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Cuno is trying his best.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's left ambiguous exactly what happened to cunoesse or what her history is but based on her behavior and the things we know about the world around her it's safe to say it some bad things happened. What we know for sure is that she killed someone and that "someone" was probably another child and the experience left her so hosed up that she was nearly catatonic until Cuno started taking care of her. Oh, and her response to having a gun pointed at her is "do it! Set me free" and she gets angry if you fail to kill her after threatening to do so. I think the "point" of Cunoesse is that she's an emotionally unstable and traumatized child and Cuno is trying to help her the best he can but he's also an emotionally unstable and traumatized child so there's not much he can do to and there are no adults around to help these sad hurt children and it sucks and it sucks that the world is like this.

worm girl posted:

It's funny that something a thousand times more hosed up than the murder is happening like ten feet away from the body and you can't even write it down in your cop notebook. No wonder Harry threw it in the dumpster.

You know that creepy house with the single chair? The game never lets you investigate it further, but my first thought when I walked in there was "oh. This is definitely a place where one of those snuff recordings I've been hearing about was made."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The point of Cunoesse is to demonstrate that Cuno is a decent human being underneath all the trauma.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The gently caress, Cuno does care!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Disco Elysium: The gently caress, Cuno does care!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

The point of Cunoesse is to demonstrate that Cuno is a decent human being underneath all the trauma.

I think this is also likely the first conversation you have in the game that drops you significant 'theres something deeper going on with the character you are looking at here' hints that lets the player know that this is that kind of detective game

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Alchenar posted:

I think this is also likely the first conversation you have in the game that drops you significant 'theres something deeper going on with the character you are looking at here' hints that lets the player know that this is that kind of detective game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I think the snuff film was longer than we think. If you get my drift.

I mean, what happened to cunosse that she was allowed to leave?

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 7, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
ABPC (Always Be Punching Cuno)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The gently caress, Cuno does care!

That's it, that's the sequel. Cuno has grown up, cares deeply, and uh, is a rapper now.

Cuno cares, if don't nobody else care

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The slight taint now associated with the Final Cut’s development affirms the superiority of Cuno’s original voice actor. We should have known something was wrong when they recast Cuna.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Are you disrespecting The Cuno, pigfuck?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

KORNOLOGY posted:

I think the snuff film was longer than we think. If you get my drift.

I mean, what happened to cunosse that she was allowed to leave?

Could just be that she managed to escape right before the ring was busted so they couldn't track her down

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tarezax posted:

Could just be that she managed to escape right before the ring was busted so they couldn't track her down

Or she was there when the ring was busted and the cops didn't help her besides that.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
There are no cops but people know what cops are.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

VictualSquid posted:

Or she was there when the ring was busted and the cops didn't help her besides that.

Maybe the Hardy Boys arranged for her to fall in with Cuno because it was the only form of help that either of them would accept :smith:

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Maybe the Hardy Boys arranged for her to fall in with Cuno because it was the only form of help that either of them would accept :smith:

No, don't rationalize it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if she is actually a new form of cryptid that imitates its environment, especially Cuno's domestic abuse and drug-addled profanity elements

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
She's Dolores Dei

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Angry Diplomat posted:

She's Dolores Dei

take the shot

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the new DE2 is the player as Sunday Friend going around convincing people that the Pale is Nothing To Worry About

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are several Disco-likes that have demos or playtests that you can play right now. I made a little list:

Esoteric Ebb is an isometric single-player RPG where you unravel a political conspiracy with your goblin sidekick. Roll dice in tense encounters. Explore a city on the brink of its first ever election. Steal anything not nailed down. Become a cleric of legends or completely ruin the campaign. Loosely adapts D&D 5e to Disco-ish gameplay.

Clam Man 2: Open Mic is a narrative RPG where you try to become a standup comedian. You can lie to children, explore the sewers, haggle for butter, and be anxious. The four attributes in this one are:
  • Aquadynamics - your ability to perform physical comedy, mime, act out scenarios or just remain deadpan!

• Improv - the ability to think on the spot, be strange and absurd, or come up with new takes or ideas!

• Detection - your ability to perceive the world and use logic to deduce it! The key ingredient in observation comedy!

• Self-Awareness - how much of an absolute mess you are! Taking a page from games like Fallout: New Vegas and 'dumb' playthroughs, high Self-Awareness could turn you into an empathic, nervous wreck, while Low Self-Awareness will let you be mean to children, slap people, and blurt out the most unbelievable b******t you could think of. Yay for self-deprecating comedy!

Sovereign Syndicate is a Victorian steampunk RPG with tarot cards instead of dice. Investigate the disappearance of society’s most vulnerable to uncover a mysterious cult. Play as three characters, each with their own skills and motivations. Customize your characters with narrative choices to unlock new tarot cards.

And the new one that only got a demo today:

Broken Roads is DE meets Mad Max in postapocalyptic Australia. Decide whether your character is more Utilitarian, Humanist, Nihilist or Machiavellian using the game's Moral Compass system!

As a little bonus, Glasshouse looks cool but doesn't have any kind of demo yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That UI design is a little on the nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider