Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kind of looks like stop motion at the end. Wonder what that’s about

E: regarding the paint peeling gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
What could go wrong?

https://i.imgur.com/4yDkBOR.mp4

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

drat, the graphics in the new Street Fighter are realistic as hell

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Kind of looks like stop motion at the end. Wonder what that’s about

E: regarding the paint peeling gif

Time lapse?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

aas Bandit posted:

Just another shift in the raccoon-throwing factory.

Snake yeeter still beats that gif

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I'm stillllllll in a dreaaaaaam
Snake yeeter

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 6, 2023

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Guyver posted:

Rattlesnakes hate being around people and black widows live in dark holes so don't stick your hand somewhere you can't see.

The few rattlesnakes this far north are so timid that I only know of two reported bites. Both involved men and alcohol.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the snake yeeting gif?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

No, we wanted a DOUBLE helix

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/sndPKO3.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/M3936NV.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/C97qAud.mp4

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

We have the technology to just top it with one giant pepperonus slice and yet we don't.

We've done that as well. "Giant" may be relative though...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

If that's an 8" pepperoni, that pizza must be three feet across.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vlaphor posted:

pepperonly

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Just hammering on a drum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good news, you no longer have to choose between working and banging on a drum all day

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vlaphor posted:

Some of these Minions tie-ins are a stretch.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

Good news, you no longer have to choose between working and banging on a drum all day

:thumbsup:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Weembles posted:

pepperonly

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MrQwerty posted:

it's one of these, the things that actually matter are that all the pepperoni lands on the pizza, and each one has the same quantity and weight on it

I mean once it goes into box and eventually ends with a customer the sausages will be rearranged already and they can tune it themselves before they put it in the oven. Or they could just blend it and eat it as a soup, it's irrelevant how they are placed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wow, I had no idea that the Transformers show featured a giant hog.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Wow, I had no idea that the Transformers show featured a giant hog.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Transformers, more than yeets in yer eye.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Needs a soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsrqKE1iqqo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Give a man a hook he can catch fish he can eat
Give him a magnet and he will never be hungry again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thought I was in the schadenfreude thread and got real worried about what was gonna happen to that kid on roller skates. :ohdear:

I don't know much about radioactivity or mining uranium but shouldn't you, you know, not handle that poo poo by hand at all? Especially if the geiger counter sounds like a 70s drive thru speaker when it's near it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thought I was in the schadenfreude thread and got real worried about what was gonna happen to that kid on roller skates. :ohdear:

I don't know much about radioactivity or mining uranium but shouldn't you, you know, not handle that poo poo by hand at all? Especially if the geiger counter sounds like a 70s drive thru speaker when it's near it?

The emissions are all alpha particles. They can’t penetrate the nitrile gloves or for that matter bare skin. It’s only a danger if you eat or inhale the dust.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
e;fb

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The emissions are all alpha particles. They can’t penetrate the nitrile gloves or for that matter bare skin. It’s only a danger if you eat or inhale the dust.

What if you put it up your butt though?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

old news, but that's like $100 of brass this person is throwing away for this video

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HolHorsejob posted:

old news, but that's like $100 of brass this person is throwing away for this video

I'm pretty sure the intended outcome was producing the brass sculpture, not just the video showing how it was made.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

HolHorsejob posted:

if it's inside of an enclosure they can just recover most of it :shrug:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MrQwerty posted:

if it's inside of an enclosure they can just recover most of it :shrug:

Most small shops are making worthless mixed scrap. If you want good brass prices from the scrappers it has to be brass. You need machines dedicated to running brass only to get the good prices: nobody with a small shop is going to be willing to spend the amount of time cleaning out the machine to get the contaminates out to get the good prices.
Hell, we even ran our brass chips, and only the brass, through a centrifuge just to help drive off the oil so the scrappers would pay us more. Boy howdy did work get mad when somebody mixed some aluminum into the brass hopper! Contaminating ~44,000 lbs of brass is an extremely expensive mistake.

In today's prices that's roughly a $96k vs $44k difference for a full hopper.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At that value can't you shred it then use compressed-air to sort by density?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah brass is still used industrially compared to steel or aluminium, despite its expense, because its scrap is valuable. For part with like 93% stock removal that means suddenly it's cheaper to use brass since the cost of the billet minus the swarf return is less than the cost of a steel billet and writing off the swarf loss.

Brass also machines very nice, it chipbreaks itself and is good on tools, so you can run tools faster and feed them mote aggressively, which is also in its favour for such parts.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 7, 2023

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

HolHorsejob posted:

Not if he sells it for 200 as a piece of industrial art.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

At that value can't you shred it then use compressed-air to sort by density?

Oh that's a neat question. Steel can obviously be picked up with a magnet so we always used to joke "there's no aluminum magnet" or "there's no delrin magnet." Compressed-air density sorting could work I suppose? The volume of material is probably the problem.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Brass also machines very nice, it chipbreaks itself and is good on tools, so you can run tools faster and feed thrm mote aggressively, whicj is also in its favour for such parts.

I know steel/aluminum home machinists get upset at how "gummy" brass is but I loved how it machined. Obviously having an "unlimited" tooling budget and machines dedicated to the material makes a difference and a lot of home machinists are using tooling ground for other materials because buying a pack of carbides is a shitload of money. We had an open tool crib with a log book instead of some vending machine or tool crib nazi demanding to know why we needed a replacement. Our department alone went through $10k of drill bits every month. We didn't sharpen them, ever: we replaced with new bits and trashed the used ones. (Drone Fragger you seem to know. We were a CNC Swiss department so we used Jobber/Swiss length bits and you probably know how loving expensive those shorties are)

I blew through several thousands of dollars of carbide slitting saws in a few weeks because one of my machines had the slitting saw control box wired incorrectly (neutral/hot power lead swap IIRC) and heard nothing about the cost. If anything they were happy that the lowest level of employee called in a tech to figure out the problem with the machine's wiring.

One of the things with running brass in brass dedicated machines is that you're flooding it with 100% oil instead of running it dry, spritzing some home-shop aluminum with WD-40, running a mist cooler, or that NASTY oil-water emulsion stinky poo poo they use in non Swiss-style machines.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This actually made me wonder: Are Geiger counters still built in a way where detecting radiation directly leads to them making that particular sound? Or are they just fully digital now and there's just a sound chip inside translating the readings into the familiar sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Perestroika posted:

This actually made me wonder: Are Geiger counters still built in a way where detecting radiation directly leads to them making that particular sound? Or are they just fully digital now and there's just a sound chip inside translating the readings into the familiar sound?

If they can make whatever sound they want it should be scary, like a horror sound effect, or a gradually raising scream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSvHGtqStSM