Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

frumpykvetchbot posted:

This doesn't gel with the fact that the russians closed the spillway gates and kept them closed for days before the bombing, in order to raise the reservoir water level to a historical high.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666012180217462785/photo/1

The hydroelectric generators were in operation and there was local power to control the gates, so if all they wanted to do was create a controlled amount of flooding, they could have done so.

Idk I'm not a hydroelectric engineer. Are you? The Russians sure seem to suck at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Mokotow posted:

Gotta say I found today particularly hard to follow in light of the human and animal suffering due to the dam failure, on top of the, I loathe the term, usual war suffering. My kid is due in four weeks and it twists my insides to think what kind of a world he’s coming into. Think I’ll use those weeks to unsub and clear my head.

Hey, in the same boat here -- not only is our kid going to be born with the war still going, but also having to deal with the fact that our extended family is nationalist morons who support putput :smith: doesn't compare with the experience of Ukrainians whose lives were destroyed and they had their russian relatives tell them they deserve it though. And it's going to be a brighter world to come into after the bunker grandpa gets his hoboarmy destroyed. It would have been a much darker place had the three day war went according to plan

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Carth Dookie posted:

Do you have a source for this?

I'm totally open to believing it, but I had a pretty strong feeling that aside from North Korea, nobody has been actually detonating nukes since the nuclear test ban treaties came into effect and thought that pretty much any nuke detonation would have been detected by US SIGINT so even if true, it shouldn't have surprised Obama. So I'd be interested to read about it if I'm wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Explosions_for_the_National_Economy

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spankmeister posted:

Idk I'm not a hydroelectric engineer. Are you? The Russians sure seem to suck at it.

I'm a civil engineer that primarily deals with flooding, and if I wanted to flood a large an area as possible raising the dam level as high as I could before doing it would probably be how I did it. But if you're going to use explosives, with a reservoir that big whatever you do the flooding is going to be catastrophic so I'm not sure I buy the "controlled flooding" explaination. With a ropey dam like that if you use explosives nothing about it is controlled, especially if you are russian. Also the reservoir is so big even if they didn't raise it the flooding would still be massive.

That said, it could be that the level was rising because the control mechanism was hosed, and the dam failed because it overtopped (combined with it being in poor condition). Entirely possible, a lot of dams aren't very good at dealing with overtopping and it had been shelled over the last year I believe. There were reports of explosions, which could just be unreliable witnesses or the sound of the dam failing (mayyyybe).

We don't really know enough, but I'm 90%+ sure it was the Russians, either by malice or incompetence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Roblo posted:

I'm a civil engineer that primarily deals with flooding, and if I wanted to flood a large an area as possible raising the dam level as high as I could before doing it would probably be how I did it. But if you're going to use explosives, with a reservoir that big whatever you do the flooding is going to be catastrophic so I'm not sure I buy the "controlled flooding" explaination. With a ropey dam like that if you use explosives nothing about it is controlled, especially if you are russian. Also the reservoir is so big even if they didn't raise it the flooding would still be massive.

That said, it could be that the level was rising because the control mechanism was hosed, and the dam failed because it overtopped (combined with it being in poor condition). Entirely possible, a lot of dams aren't very good at dealing with overtopping and it had been shelled over the last year I believe. There were reports of explosions, which could just be unreliable witnesses or the sound of the dam failing (mayyyybe).

We don't really know enough, but I'm 90%+ sure it was the Russians, either by malice or incompetence.

Well you know what you have to do

Use your job access to blow up a reservoir of comparable size so we can make a scientific comparison

zone
Dec 6, 2016

....... they drew an actual monkey on one of their tanks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HonorableTB posted:

Ooh I love OSHA related things, wanna know what else was installed backwards?

(unmanned rocket, no injuries)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLnNc_0TnXA

This Russian rocket was carrying a payload of GLONASS satellites to add to the Roscosmos constellation. However, the technicians, when assembling the rocket, took a look at the critical angularity velocity sensors, tried to install them, couldn't install them, and then took a hammer to BEAT THEM INTO PLACE UPSIDE DOWN since they couldn't be installed "normally" (because..they were upside down..)

This caused the rocket to think it was actually upside down when it WASN'T, and because as we all know guided missiles know where they are because the missile knows where it ISN'T, the rocket promptly spun around in mid-air and flew nose-first into the ground 32 seconds after liftoff.

CLOWNASS

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A second invasion just hit Kherson

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1665958550512730112

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zone posted:

....... they drew an actual monkey on one of their tanks.

Looks more like still-undiscovered orangivore animal to me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

Ooh I love OSHA related things, wanna know what else was installed backwards?

This Russian rocket was carrying a payload of GLONASS satellites to add to the Roscosmos constellation. However, the technicians, when assembling the rocket, took a look at the critical angularity velocity sensors, tried to install them, couldn't install them, and then took a hammer to BEAT THEM INTO PLACE UPSIDE DOWN since they couldn't be installed "normally" (because..they were upside down..)

This caused the rocket to think it was actually upside down when it WASN'T, and because as we all know guided missiles know where they are because the missile knows where it ISN'T, the rocket promptly spun around in mid-air and flew nose-first into the ground 32 seconds after liftoff.

That's the most infamous Proton-M launch failure, but issues didn't stop there. After several failures, it was found that someone replaced key components made from expensive heat-resistant precious metals with cheaper alternatives and falsified documentation. It's grift-funded dachas all the way down.
https://www.dw.com/en/russia-grounds-proton-m-rockets-over-crash/a-37315115

But what can be expected from a hollowed-out space agency running on Soviet-era fumes that recruits their rocket engineers into war

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1662158341341077505

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 7, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Neat. Seems like this was mostly experimental and ended with the Soviet union so not a thing done during Putin's rule unless there's some other info out there.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

madeintaipei posted:

Looks more like still-undiscovered orangivore animal to me.

Not googling that

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Groda posted:

Not googling that

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Regarding the fate of Russian soldiers that were digging trenches in irradiated soil

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1666373040429465600

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it was so wild to me that chernobyl was still an active place

it's just the visitor center says "go away why are you here cyka lol"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

Not really, there are very few permanent residents, mostly elderly people that refused to move out or some squatters. The rest are state employees maintaining NPP or rest of the exclusion zone and they are there only temporarily. But otherwise it was fairly popular tourist destination before the war, the most irradiated areas can be simply avoided.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

huh, I thought it looked familiar, but Cheburashka didn't occur to me immediately.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Weapons like that feel especially...war crime-y. That is a tiny explosive and looks like a toy.

Yes. Nothing new for Glorious Russia, they absolutely carpeted Afghanistan with those. Their military use is very limited, but they look appealing to children and have a VERY low activation pressure, which means a small child picking up a fun brightly coloured thing can blow themselves up. And sure enough apparently a lot of Afghani children in fact did.

But of course if you ask the tankies, that's not why they did it, no no. It had tons of valid military reasons such as... and... uhh...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Godammit, beaver, DO SOMETHING!!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes. Nothing new for Glorious Russia, they absolutely carpeted Afghanistan with those. Their military use is very limited, but they look appealing to children and have a VERY low activation pressure, which means a small child picking up a fun brightly coloured thing can blow themselves up.

America did too ofc, and also dropped food-aid packets the same colour as the bomblets. Afghanistan's one of those places everyone wants to invade, even if nobody can properly articulate why.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

America did too ofc, and also dropped food-aid packets the same colour as the bomblets. Afghanistan's one of those places everyone wants to invade, even if nobody can properly articulate why.
I was a bit surprised by this and tried to google this. From what I found there was a single time anti-personnel mines were used by the US in Afghanistan:

"HRW posted:

11. Question: When and why did the U.S. last use antipersonnel mines, and with what result?
Answer: During Operation ANACONDA, Afghanistan, in March 2002, special operations forces employed anti-personnel landmines (pursuit deterrent munitions) while awaiting extraction from a helicopter pick-up zone to cover an enemy avenue of approach that could not be observed or covered with direct fire.
Not that this is not bad, mind you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
he's referring to a famous incident where humanitarian food-aid packets were designed to be highly visible and as such were put in bright yellow plastic packaging. simultaneously, an unrelated group designing cluster bombs for the US was designing the bomblets to be highly visible and used a similar bright yellow plastic packaging that resembled the food ration. iirc it was promptly addressed once they figured out what was going on, but the issue was two completely unrelated design decisions that until then no one had thought to coordinate.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1666355640875319297
This pathetic creature apparently finds great happiness in the suffering of innocent people.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Experts say dam collapse was likely an (explosive) inside job, collapses due to heavy flow, high water or damaged sluice gates usually follow different patterns

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1666396865317728257

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1666396866747965442

From the article:

quote:

Experts cautioned that the available evidence was very limited, but they said that an internal explosion was the likeliest explanation for the destruction of the dam, a massive structure of steel-reinforced concrete that was completed in 1956. And local residents reported on social media that they heard a huge explosion around the time the dam was breached, at 2:50 a.m.
A blast in an enclosed space, with all of its energy applied against the structure around it, would do the most damage. Even then, the experts said, it would require hundreds of pounds of explosives, at least, to breach the dam. An external detonation by bomb or missile would exert only a fraction of its force against the dam, and would require an explosive many times larger to achieve a similar effect.
“You’re going to be limited in how much a warhead can carry,” said Nick Glumac, an engineering professor and explosives expert at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Even a direct hit may not take out the dam.”

“Dams do fail; it’s absolutely possible,” said Gregory B. Baecher, a professor of engineering at the University of Maryland and member of the National Academy of Engineering, who has studied dam failures. But, he said, “I look at this and say, ‘Gosh, this looks suspicious.’”
Some dams have collapsed because of unusually heavy water flows “overtopping” them. “Normally, such a failure would start on the earthen part of the dam, on either bank,” said Professor Baecher. Image
But photos and videos show that the Kakhovka dam was first breached in the middle, next to the power plant adjoining the Russian-held bank. Both ends of it appeared to be intact at first, though as the day went on, more and more of the dam collapsed.
A combination of damaged sluice gates and high water might tear away a few gates, but would not be expected to rip apart so much of the dam, the professor said.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 7, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

You used to be able to go on guided tours and there's a bunch of youtube videos of dorks sneaking into the exclusion zone so they can irradiate their balls live out their S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fantasies irradiate their balls AND live out their S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fantasies.

also of the videos I saw even those idiots who snuck in had the sense not to dig a loving trench or move stuff around too much.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Experts say dam collapse was likely an (explosive) inside job, collapses due to heavy flow, high water or damaged sluice gates usually follow different patterns

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1666396865317728257

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1666396866747965442

From the article:

That fits with my relatively limited knowledge of dams too. That said it was damaged due to shelling (I believe) so isn't exactly a normal dam failure situation.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Roblo posted:

Interesting, thank you.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Roblo posted:

That fits with my relatively limited knowledge of dams too. That said it was damaged due to shelling (I believe) so isn't exactly a normal dam failure situation.

Is it normal practice that the same two sluice gates are left open for months on end, and if not, what would the detrimental effects of that be? Is there any way to square this kind of neglect with the damage we've seen?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is it normal practice that the same two sluice gates are left open for months on end, and if not, what would the detrimental effects of that be? Is there any way to square this kind of neglect with the damage we've seen?

Normally there would be a pretty comprehensive maintenance regime on any infrastructure that important, I doubt Russia was doing any of that so maybe the penstocks seized shut or something. Could be a power failure so they couldn't operate the asset and the backups were damaged. There is a poo poo load that can go wrong in an asset like that.

There's often a way to do an emergency drawdown of a reservoir to reduce levels if needed - that didn't seem to be going on.

We really don't know enough and it's drat hard to tell whether something is malice or incompetence with Russia. Have to admit I haven't exactly looked into what happened in detail - funnily enough I'm at a flooding conference, there are some of the worlds top dam engineers here and they are pissed about what happened in Ukraine.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

the snorkels were notoriously bad and in trials using them for amphibious crossings resulted in lots of drowned tankers because even when the snorkels worked, the loving crew compartments weren't watertight lol

that's not really unique to russians though, trying to turn any armored vehicle into some flavor of boat or submarine is incredibly sketchy at best and with very still water.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

How is denazification going: dreams of squashing "roaches" and of Lebensraum for Russian peasants

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666277668994547712

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

How is denazification going: dreams of squashing "roaches" and of Lebensraum for Russian peasants

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666277668994547712

By the time of the next Mooooobilization, I somehow doubt you'll even have enough equipment left to arm a third of the poor bastards that get dragged in. And as for armored vehicles, maybe you'll be desperate enough to raid Kubinka, or maybe you won't be. We'll see that happening almost for a certainty if the Ukrainians keep up the pace they've been at for the last couple days.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Let's see

Chechnya x2
Invades Georgia
Invades Crimea
Invades mainland Ukraine
Commits large scale civilian murder
Loots homes
Rapes countless people
Tortures people
Tortures animals
Forced deporation of people/children
Loots places of culture
Bombs civilian housing
Bombs hospitals and schools
State controlled media calls for the extermination of all of Ukraine
Continually lie to your country about the war
Conscripts and sends it's own people without training to fight
Jails it's own people for speaking out about the war
Threaten to nuke everyone
I'll ignore everything prior to USSR collapse cos lol not enough word count
e - It actually mined the dam last year

So anyway, I'm having a hard time waiting for evidence on who did blow up the dam

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 7, 2023

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Anything negative that goes on in that part of the world is Russia's fault regardless - it wouldn't have happened if Russia hadn't invaded. As far as I'm concerned if someone stubs their toe in Ukraine it's Russia's fault.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Know one knows anything and everything is just rumor and innuendo but there's talk floating around socials etc that the dam was destroyed by some Russian soldiers...without orders. Retaking that area is an obvious objective and the undergeared, undersupported, staring down the barrel of the oncoming offensive guys in the field know it. The bridge roadway was already damaged back during the initial invasion and the control gates may have also been damaged at that time. Temporary repairs were supposed to have been made but...why repair something when you can say it was fixed and grift the money?

So a damaged dam that never got repaired, that is also a known objective and supply line, surrounded by guys that aren't being watched because the Russians are stretched thin and undermanned, with access to piles of high explosives and little else, and who are being told they are going to have to hold back the offensive, with no gear or support. Meanwhile fallback positions are already being prepared and the dam is being filled to maximize the flood threat making it a better bargaining chip or to flood out the Ukrainians after they take the area.

Could easily just be talk, but some mobiks dumping a truckload of high explosives off the side and blowing the thing in an effort to escape in the chaos or at least delay the offensive and be moved to safer fallback positions seems somewhat plausible when the flooding as it happened is not beneficial to the grand scheme of Russia really or Ukraine but too coincidental in its timing to be ignored as just unlucky timing or accidental.

Translated telegram bullshit and all that but it makes as much sense as anything.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Roblo posted:

Anything negative that goes on in that part of the world is Russia's fault regardless - it wouldn't have happened if Russia hadn't invaded. As far as I'm concerned if someone stubs their toe in Ukraine it's Russia's fault.

:emptyquote:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1666364025456717825
:laugh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No lies detected.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The UN was never meant to reign in world powers.

It sucks, but the second it tries it, the whole purpose of it (providing direct means to limit tensions between nuclear powers) falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Deki posted:

The UN was never meant to reign in world powers.

It sucks, but the second it tries it, the whole purpose of it (providing direct means to limit tensions between nuclear powers) falls apart.

Street Fighter movie lied to me