Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just soloed the capstone to unlock tier IV as a Necro! The last boss was annoying but not bad once you memorize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Once you unlock the Nightmare difficulty and start getting sacred items to drop, your build options become much more free because the higher ilevel and ranges of values mean you aren't as bound to get all best-in-slot rolls - plus, you get permanent buff 4 times each level.

Paradoxically, the game might be the hardest at Veteran difficulty.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Saw a wind druid ripping poo poo up and immediately wanted to reroll :blastu:

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Any other clans going? Cathedral of goon didn't take my request and now I can't even find them. I'm a poopsocker and play most of the time when I'm at work anyway. TomB#1244

CaptainAssholay fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015

McLarenF1 posted:

Check out my lazy man build above.

Thanks for this. I didn't initially try this out but then my first unique dropped which has Death Trap reset itself until it kills an enemy and I immediately switched. Love it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

1-25 at T2 Rogue has been a trip especially on bosses. My power bumps have gotten ahead of the curve and my kill times feel great though I did my first stronghold yesterday and the entire thing was a heartpounder of twitch reflex dodges and potion chugs.

I love it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Found a legendary with a skill that "critical strikes with core skills increase your attack speed by 21%"... doubled on my bow to 42% attack speed. Using core skill with rapid fire and 20'ish percent crit rate means I'm basically attacking at +50% attack speed with 100% uptime as long as I'm attacking something that is vulnerable and it's pretty ridiculous. :black101:

Also there is a bug where if you upgrade an item with crit on it, there is a chance the crit chance goes down instead of up.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not terribly surprising. This was how Grim Dawn worked. Early veteran was way tougher than anything until ultimate difficulty DLCs if you were prepared and knew what benchmarks you needed to hit to survive.

Boss fights in T2 seem pretty tedious sometimes. I switched from a sever necro to a twisting blades rogue because the necromancer tore through packs, but just took forever against bosses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

isk posted:

Each region offers the same renown rewards

I think this is 100% true, but I'm a completionist and must fill the renown bar lol. I'm almost done fortunately. But yeah whispers seem like almost a complete waste of time. World bosses might also but I haven't done it on wt4 so idk how much more loot it gives.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For all the talk of populating the world with players the overworld is pretty barren, even at launch. Not that player populations are low, but because it doesn't often show you other players. Yeah, you can't have everyone stealing all the mobs, but I was having an impromptu race with another player on horseback to an objective while traveling last night until I got caught on some terrain and fell half a screen back, which caused the game to delete the other guy from my space.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

That is done deliberately. They said long ago that they didn't want the overworld to have too many players as they still want the atmosphere to feel like an isolating experience. I think it's capped at 8 for your current zone/shard and players are constantly being moved around.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I find the population level really solid. Mostly I’m doing my own thing, but events almost always have others, towns always do, and the overworks sometimes does. Makes for a good blend and way more organic than instances in D2/D3.

also if you want to see other players farm altars of lilith lol. Always see folks showing up at them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Act 4 - the gently caress you mean Andariel doesn't deal obscene amounts of poison damage? :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Act 4 - the gently caress you mean Andariel doesn't deal obscene amounts of poison damage? :colbert:

That was a great reveal and character model

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I gave money to Activision Blizzard again

e: Sorry I thought this was in E/N

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

I gave money to Activision Blizzard again

e: Sorry I thought this was in E/N

It happens. Enjoy the videogame!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

katkillad2 posted:

Found a legendary with a skill that "critical strikes with core skills increase your attack speed by 21%"... doubled on my bow to 42% attack speed. Using core skill with rapid fire and 20'ish percent crit rate means I'm basically attacking at +50% attack speed with 100% uptime as long as I'm attacking something that is vulnerable and it's pretty ridiculous. :black101:

Also there is a bug where if you upgrade an item with crit on it, there is a chance the crit chance goes down instead of up.

Dude I got that at like level 30 and imprinted it on something, now I am approaching 60, have obviously outgrown and replaced the item, but I miss that aspect so much. Can't wait for it to drop again

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I just noticed Blizzard sent me an e-mail thanking me for killing Lilith :twisted:

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Hey fellow hardcore players guess what. I was fighting Lilith and I fell.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Complete noob here. Is there any point in getting a second basic attack? My rogue is only level 18, and I've been using Forceful Arrow and Penetrating Shot for the most part, and also have caltrops and poison trap and poison infusion on my 1-2-3 buttons. I took a look at a guide before bed, though, and it said I should be using the knife basic Puncture even if I want to be an archer? Am I doing it right? Is there a way to swap my leftclick/rightclick abilities without going to the ability menu?

e: ooh, also, should I just be salvaging everything I find if I don't want to wear it?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 7, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Substandard posted:

I got my first unique item. Gloves that make the corpses run towards enemies before exploding and do additional corpse explosion damage.

They are pretty fun but don't change a ton in my build. I still don't really think corpse explosion is viable as a primary damage dealer.

I do have a build guide question for you all. Virtually none of the maxroll build guides put any extra points into the basic skills and keep them at 1/5 with 1 or 2 enhancements. In my experience every class ends up having to cast the basics quite a bit (except maybe Necro relying on corpse explosions but bosses still end up needing some basic spam so far in t3). Is the damage per extra point just mathematically awful on them?

It's kind of odd to me that the min max way to play is to put 1 point into each skill except for your one big DPS skill and then take virtually every passive.

Oh god yes corpse explode is viable.

Pick up the modifier that turns them into gas bombs that do dark damage, and then get the final skill thing that ticks off of dark damage. Grab all the assorted skills that dump bodies around (scythe skellies for example) and grab the passive that gives you spirit for consuming corpses.

Your buddies will generate a few corpses by killing poo poo, and if they're slow bone spear some fools. Then just spam corpse explosion and watch as your homing suicide bombers turn the entire loving screen black and the people you're with swear at you.

Bosses need a little more thinking re: corpse generation, but it's very doable. A lot of guides poo poo on the army of the dead, but there's a modifier for it that makes them spawn corpses which turns it into a great "need corpses now" boss battle button.

edit: also make sure to grab the passive that makes your skellies only take a max of iirc 20% at top levle of their life from a single hit, makes them MUCH more survivable in boss battles.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still don't like the design of the skill tree. It needs less negative space between the skills and not make it super annoying to refund skills higher in the tree because doing so will make stuff in the lower part unavailable or whatever. That said, I'm not one who usually comes up with builds as I just don't have the mind for it but I found it pretty easy to find symmetry between passives and skills in the Rogue tree.

It seems like Twisting Blades is a huge meta for the class, unfortunately. A lot of Rogues use it which means instead of upping all the other skills they'll probably nerf this one into the ground. Not our fault the ability is super fun and satisfying to use, dammit!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Fwiw I started with a Necro and Sever feels kind of like a reverse twisting blades.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Made it to lvl 23 on my Rogue and I think it's finally starting to click with me after I got shadow imbuement to blow up mobs with some decent AOE, something I was struggling to do efficiently before. It's no exploding palm + seven sided strike and it sucks that it's on a 10+ second cool down but it's good enough. Has anyone tried a hybrid Rogue with both ranged/melee with success? I'd like to be able to use my bow besides being a stat buff for show.

I'm surprised I'm getting weapon drops for other classes every so often though, has Blizzard learned nothing from Loot 2.0 in D3? I'm also assuming it's not really worth going out of your way to do every codex of power dungeon if it's not applicable to your class?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 7, 2023

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

explosivo posted:

This is the one I started with then transitioned over to this one past level 25 or so since most of the skills align. Currently in T3 using the Shredder build and rockin'.

thank you for this! It's been fun so far!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Phenotype posted:

Complete noob here. Is there any point in getting a second basic attack?

If the utility provided is better than you'd get from having any other non-generator, sure. Having a ranged option as a melee build can be a life saver and many generators have great utility, like invigorating feeding you easy vulnerability or shifting strike letting you pass through enemies and get move speed.

However that is a big ask in most cases and typically you only want one basic attack. I use flurry to get stuns and build stagger on bosses and my other abilities improve my DPS more than the absence of vulnerability from invigorating strike.

There's likewise nothing wrong with stacking same category skills, I used shadowstep/dash for awhile until I felt comfortable dodging and surviving CC and tossed an ultimate in to experiment instead of shadowstep.

Experiment freely, just recognize the harsh opportunity cost the six button limit enforces.

I don't think you can practically swap skills outside of hitting S and slowly replacing the button but this does mean you can use skills granted by gear or even a point or two in your tree to have a back up, like if you want to swap to ranged for a boss. Don't expect to have uptime on anything you need to keep on the bar while it's active like a druid pet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Complete noob here. Is there any point in getting a second basic attack?
e: ooh, also, should I just be salvaging everything I find if I don't want to wear it?

Good god no.

e: yes, but I understand that there's massive price inflation once you hit 50 and it might be better to vendor stuff at that point. But I'm not there yet myself!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh god yes corpse explode is viable.

Pick up the modifier that turns them into gas bombs that do dark damage, and then get the final skill thing that ticks off of dark damage. Grab all the assorted skills that dump bodies around (scythe skellies for example) and grab the passive that gives you spirit for consuming corpses.

Your buddies will generate a few corpses by killing poo poo, and if they're slow bone spear some fools. Then just spam corpse explosion and watch as your homing suicide bombers turn the entire loving screen black and the people you're with swear at you.

Bosses need a little more thinking re: corpse generation, but it's very doable. A lot of guides poo poo on the army of the dead, but there's a modifier for it that makes them spawn corpses which turns it into a great "need corpses now" boss battle button.

edit: also make sure to grab the passive that makes your skellies only take a max of iirc 20% at top levle of their life from a single hit, makes them MUCH more survivable in boss battles.

The passive Hewed Flesh at 3/3 has a 12 percent chance of spawning a corpse when you do any damage, including ticking damage, so once you get a corpse or two exploded on a boss he just starts sloughing flesh and you can basically machine gun Corpse Ex. I always hated corpse mechanics in D3 but in D4 they're loving great. Corpses everywhere.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 7, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

That is done deliberately. They said long ago that they didn't want the overworld to have too many players as they still want the atmosphere to feel like an isolating experience. I think it's capped at 8 for your current zone/shard and players are constantly being moved around.

And i get that, it's just so abrupt that it feels weird. It's like playing Dark Souls and watching the white shadows fading in and out of existence. It's cool to show we are sharing a world together but at the same time it's not like I can exactly interact with someone who vaporizes if they are five steps away from me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phenotype posted:

I'll salvage everything unless I need more money. The mats will be more useful in the long run. At level 50+ you can get 100k-200k for a full load of loot from a single dungeon so it's usually easy enough to get a bunch of gold relatively quickly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also gold drops out of monsters all the time, and once you're past WT2 it's not uncommon to see some dipshit fallen crap out 500+ gold on their own. Meanwhile mats drop in the world much more rarely.

I was a little cash starved in my late 40s on WT2 when I was trying to drag my build over the finish line to to the capstone, and then when I hit WT3 I had 500k before I knew what was going on.

Frankly it makes that 2 million gold mount make a lot more sense.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I had 2 million gold, then spent literally a million on some minor enchanting / upgrading in early WT3. Also almost out of the yellow crafting material. It’s definitely a balancing act, with costs going parabolic to min/max.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dreissi posted:

Hey fellow hardcore players guess what. I was fighting Lilith and I fell.

When that happened to me in normal, I immediately thought, "I'm so glad my first campaign wasn't on hardcore." lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Going through the campaign I kept all of my gear upgraded to level 2, salvaged anything that would be a transmog, and salvaged all rares to build up a stockpile of crystals, and vendored the rest. I always had a growing stockpile of all mats and gold with that approach. I also always click every plant and ore in the open world as I pass by them but I never make it a point to basically deviate more than like half a screen to get them and am also swimming in elixer mats too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still early on, but is Tyrael dead? Between the Horadrim being a shell of its former self again, no one ever mentioning him, and Inarius returning and taking over the church, it feels like something really bad happened to him in the time between games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I tent to salvage rares and above then sell everything else. It helps me maintain a good amount of gold and crafting supplies. Occasionally I just sell everything for that extra sweet gold.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Rhonne posted:

I'm still early on, but is Tyrael dead? Between the Horadrim being a shell of its former self again, no one ever mentioning him, and Inarius returning and taking over the church, it feels like something really bad happened to him in the time between games.

It’s expansion bait.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
For folks starting out, always remember the opportunity costs. So if you add a second basic skill for example you won’t have room for that cool save my rear end skill maybe. If you continue put points in your basic skills then later down the line you’ll need to respec those points for better damage/defense/passives. Look at what’s available to you, keeping in mind your skill that defines your build (corpse explosion or pulverize as examples) and make sure your choices support those defining builds.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I found a Unique that makes Earthen Might also apply to my Storm Skills. Seems pretty strong, but I'm really enjoying the lulz to be had from Nature's Fury

I found another Legendary that makes Pulverize an Earth skill and was excited to sometimes randomly turn into a Bear while casting my Storm skills, but that hasn't once happened so it's either bugged and doesn't get added to the pool of spells that could be cast, or it's intended to not work that way :(

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 7, 2023

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think my beef with the game right now is that the transition between World Tier 3 and 4 seems kind of rough. My necro (59) is at a point where I can solo Tier 20 NM dungeons and the world content is trivial, but the level 70 Capstone dungeon feels really tough - and getting to the point where it gets easier basically just feels like I'm supposed to grind out XP to get closer to 70. I can't really improve my gear at this point - nothing that drops is markedly better than what I have, I have the uniques I need for my build, and all the right legendary aspects.

Could just be the nature of my build being not great for the capstone (shadow necro), but it takes everything else I throw at it so I dunno.

I get that having 16 tiers of difficulty might have been confusing but the current level of granularity feels bad like Diablo 3's initial set of big broad difficulty categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DNK posted:

It’s expansion bait.

True, I'm guessing that Tyrael probably had something to do with freeing Inarius, and Inarius betrayed him.