Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Grip isn't that important as long as it passes this test: have someone try to take the disc away from you and hold onto it. Don't let them take it. Whatever grip works for you during that test is a correct grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDHuNyFszM

Ehhhh you can throw pretty far just pinching the flat part of the disc with two fingers. Overthrow gets into it, and a comment there pointed out the second video of Chandler throwing. My whole thing is not thinking about squeezing it and letting my hand decide pressure onto it while it starts moving forward. If I think about gripping, i'll just grip lock and yank it way right every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar4mQsWxaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrdZTVupEk&t=1270s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played dubs with a 67 year old guy that must have had carpal tunnel, and he looked like he couldn't even hold on to the disk. He used a loose looking 1.5 finger grip and was throwing further than me.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

headcase posted:

I played dubs with a 67 year old guy that must have had carpal tunnel, and he looked like he couldn't even hold on to the disk. He used a loose looking 1.5 finger grip and was throwing further than me.

Hell yeah

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been trying to push my left+right hand consecutive drive distance high score and I tore my left MCL, so everyone make sure you're getting up onto your heels when you pivot. I drilled this like crazy for right hand where I have more power, but I neglected it lefty and now I have to take 6 weeks off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
On the plus side I'm getting a cool collection of photos where I tore a muscle playing disc golf and you can see it bleeding under the skin:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

Yeah I am old and broken and can't really do the run throw thing but I think I started to get the hang of the fairway driver I have. If I tilt the nose down just a little bit, it seemed to fly truer and straighter. However, that was like 1 out of 3 times I'd throw it. Other times I'd release too early or too late and it'd go all over the place.

It's nothing serious for us and we aren't in a hurry to get great. It's just nice to have a reason to get out and move around and getting to see some trees and a little bit of nature is a bonus.

That "It" disc seems a lot like the Westside Underworld, except a bit more stable (going by flight numbers). Should be a good beginner disc. Assuming you throw RHBH and you release it flat (sideways angle), and it hooks left without ever going right, then you probably aren't throwing it with "enough" power (for its speed). Nothing wrong with that, but you won't see big gains from going to an even faster disc. If it sometimes goes right, sometimes goes left, sometimes goes straight - then it sounds like a matter of angle control. Or wind!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Get a Discmania FD in C-line plastic and enjoy your laser beam

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I did set my personal distance record with the Underworld (again) though, and this one was not downhill. When it popped out of my hand, oooh drat. Felt awesome.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

I did set my personal distance record with the Underworld (again) though, and this one was not downhill. When it popped out of my hand, oooh drat. Felt awesome.

It's those perfect throws or one laced hole that stay with us and keep us coming back. Congrats on the personal best!

One thing I'm trying to find again on the course is that that chill golf mentally, one toss at a time type of thing. The simple nature of stepping up to the teebox, placing your shot in the fairway and forgetting about it. Just enjoying nature and the walk until you get up to your next lie and only then thinking about the next throw.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a bad round yesterday, I was tired and the course was crowded. But I did learn a thing that seems obvious in retrospect.

I had shanked a drive way left into an area with way too many trees. Trying to find some way to get just past them, I pulled out my Berg in K1 Soft plastic. Of course I hammered that right into a tree :sigh:. However, because it's so soft it just kinda folded in on itself, folded out, and then fell straight down. All the energy had gone into folding the disc so there was no kick left.

Now I kinda want to get a K1 Soft Falk or similar driver, just for the gimmick with those drives where you don't want to risk a hard kick. There are plenty of trees around here.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NFX posted:

I had a bad round yesterday, I was tired and the course was crowded. But I did learn a thing that seems obvious in retrospect.

I had shanked a drive way left into an area with way too many trees. Trying to find some way to get just past them, I pulled out my Berg in K1 Soft plastic. Of course I hammered that right into a tree :sigh:. However, because it's so soft it just kinda folded in on itself, folded out, and then fell straight down. All the energy had gone into folding the disc so there was no kick left.

Now I kinda want to get a K1 Soft Falk or similar driver, just for the gimmick with those drives where you don't want to risk a hard kick. There are plenty of trees around here.

I miss my bt soft harp I lost just as the snow started to fly here in Michigan. That thing loved to almost pancake and stick right under the basket for me. Very useful but I still tend to bag one in a softer premium plastic.

Tree kicks are one of the main reason in woods golf I'm thinking more mid-ranges then fairways off the teebox, along with keeping my lines lower in the air. I'd much rather have a tree kick me to the other side of the fairway then WAY off in no mans land with a higher speed disc.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sorry for the Reddit link, but this is hilarious. Florida man tries to retrieve a disc from water next to a gator, and it escalates from there.

https://redd.it/13j9hyr

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Bandire posted:

Sorry for the Reddit link, but this is hilarious. Florida man tries to retrieve a disc from water next to a gator, and it escalates from there.

https://redd.it/13j9hyr

Gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I haven’t been able to play in almost a month because of foot injuries and I’m about ready to **** ******

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone just found an old f5 I lost almost 2 years ago today. At the time it was my go to disc. Just wild to think about how much time has gone by since I started playing and that while I’m still a noodle arm loser, I have gotten a lot better.

I want to try doing a tourney just for fun…

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Has anyone gone to be a spectator at a DGPT tournament? I'll be in Portland over the weekend and the GA tickets to the Portland Open are only $25.

Can you see enough to really make it interesting, or is it mostly a long day of standing around to see the pros from a distance and occasionally half a good shot?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Grandito posted:

Has anyone gone to be a spectator at a DGPT tournament? I'll be in Portland over the weekend and the GA tickets to the Portland Open are only $25.

Can you see enough to really make it interesting, or is it mostly a long day of standing around to see the pros from a distance and occasionally half a good shot?

It's going to depend tournament by tournament in terms of how well they have the spectator experience set up. Portland Open was elevated to an Elite Plus tier event I think in large part because they are supposed to have a great spectator experience. I can't speak to Portland Open personally, but I've spectated OTB Open the past two years, but with a VIP pass so that I could actually follow a card up close. OTB Open also has very thoughtfully laid out GA areas and would be worthwhile even without VIP.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The Preserve one let you follow any card but had volunteers rope off the top cards if you're following. I followed for a few holes before moving ahead to see drives landed and get front looks of putts. This was 2021 so it was probably a much smaller crowd but I never felt like sightlines were blocked.

The course probably dictates crowd flow more than anything and with the Preserve being such an open course they were much more lax on where spectators were. The only place they had roped off was 18's green and player only areas.

Also have to recommend volunteering to do Udisc score keeping. You get into the event for free, walk and watch with some great players, and some free swag. The card was a lower seeded one with each player knowing they weren't making cash so they were all shooting the poo poo with each other and myself.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Playing a wide open course after playing the usual Seattle based tight courses is so rad, especially now that most of my usual tracks are overgrown forests. Just letting it rip in a chill way.

Going to get overconfident and throw some higher speeds in the bag.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Was in the market for a new bag, since my DD Trooper bag is a bit rode hard and put away wet. Splurged for the Cheimburg Squatch bag, gets here tomorrow!! Ahh I'm excited.

I started practicing putting with dgputt and actually doing the proper exercises and stretches to uncramp my elbow, hoping to improve my game this year :bubblewoop:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Was in the market for a new bag, since my DD Trooper bag is a bit rode hard and put away wet. Splurged for the Cheimburg Squatch bag, gets here tomorrow!! Ahh I'm excited.

I started practicing putting with dgputt and actually doing the proper exercises and stretches to uncramp my elbow, hoping to improve my game this year :bubblewoop:

Can you link they elbow exercises? Ive been having issues. Nice bag!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

headcase posted:

Can you link they elbow exercises? Ive been having issues. Nice bag!

These are the exercises that I saw a noticeable difference in my arm after just one week! It's wild how the isometric exercises helped me so much tbh. I'm a primarily forehand driver, thanks Ultimate, but these help to alleviate tension pain on my anconeus and brachioradialis.

https://youtu.be/z3PGELcFhMM

DG Strong I think has been rec'd in this topic before, but dude is great. I'm gonna see about trying the Turkish getup challenge he did as well, I'm a fan of whole body single exercises.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

These are the exercises that I saw a noticeable difference in my arm after just one week! It's wild how the isometric exercises helped me so much tbh. I'm a primarily forehand driver, thanks Ultimate, but these help to alleviate tension pain on my anconeus and brachioradialis.

https://youtu.be/z3PGELcFhMM

DG Strong I think has been rec'd in this topic before, but dude is great. I'm gonna see about trying the Turkish getup challenge he did as well, I'm a fan of whole body single exercises.

I've been using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066D6K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which seems to work great when I actually do it. Word of warning though: It wobbles like a dildo and your wife will make fun of you.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I started playing during COVID because it was outside and able to hang out with friends. Hadn't played in awhile and picked it up again after a friend suggested to do a trilogy. Had a ton of fun and since the weather has been pretty nice, been playing the last few weeks. I'm primarily a forehand thrower, what numbers should I look for on discs?

I'll also pimp out my friend's app Disconnector, another way of letting people know you lost a disc.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whatever you got is probably great for throwing forehand. Post what you're using and I'll tell you if they're okay, but its a pretty rare one that isn't going to get the job done.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My main go to right now for distance is a Ballista from Latitude 64. I'll have to dig into my bag but one of the ones I got from the trilogy was war something (Matty-O) that has been working well for me.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

calandryll posted:

My main go to right now for distance is a Ballista from Latitude 64. I'll have to dig into my bag but one of the ones I got from the trilogy was war something (Matty-O) that has been working well for me.

That'd be the Westside Warship

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You're golden.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If you want some flat discs to forehand, try some of Axiom/MVP’s lineup. I can’t forehand for poo poo but my buddy who was a former baseball player swears by his Prism Insanity.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

NickRoweFillea posted:

If you want some flat discs to forehand, try some of Axiom/MVP’s lineup. I can’t forehand for poo poo but my buddy who was a former baseball player swears by his Prism Insanity.

I got the Neutron Insanity, I guess the names means different plastics? Anyway, first throw for me put me about 10 feet from the basket. The Ballista throws further for me but the Insanity is going to be my primary go to I think. Might have to try some of their other discs.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm a forehand thrower and just got an MVP Photon Proton to try out. It fades pretty hard right now but hoping that evens out a bit as I learn it and it breaks in.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

calandryll posted:

I got the Neutron Insanity, I guess the names means different plastics? Anyway, first throw for me put me about 10 feet from the basket. The Ballista throws further for me but the Insanity is going to be my primary go to I think. Might have to try some of their other discs.

Yeah. They come in different plastics. Proton, Neutron, Electron, Fission, Plasma, lots of em. The insanity is understable which means it’ll turn more before fading. It’s a cheat code for noodlearms to get some distance (which is why I love it)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

calandryll posted:

This thread is probably tired of me pumping the Virus but you should grab a light one in Proton plastic and give it a rip.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mcqueen posted:

This thread is probably tired of me pumping the Virus but you should grab a light one in Proton plastic and give it a rip.

And I snagged one. Stupid tropical storm is creating crappy weather so won't be able to play for another week or so.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I played in the trilogy challenge in Memphis today. Shot six over. It was my first ever tournament and I had a great time. I put the warship and the pure to good use but I didn’t have much need for the vandal that they gave us. The course we played in was mostly woods and required some tight shots. I highly recommend playing one of those “challenge” type tournaments if you want to have a fun experience!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm running a Trilogy Challenge at the end of July. Definitely aiming for a laid back event that anyone can play.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I played a trilogy challenge last year, was super fun. I still huck the purple see through tursus I got, love that midrange.

I hosed my left big toe up bad yesterday by kicking my deck out of frustration because I am a Real Big Idiot, just reallllllllly hoping it's not broken and just very bruised.

I was hoping to ask this local player to give me some lessons in my backhand soon, too :cry:

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I left my 2016 Ace Race disc outside over a few years and ended up bagging it recently because it remarkably still flies well, needed an understable midranger. Can put that thing on a steep hyzer out of the hand and it will still turn over but reliably come back given enough air.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

There’s a Trilogy challenge and an MVP circuit challenge near me in August and I’d love to do one or both, schedule permitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

NickRoweFillea posted:

I played in the trilogy challenge in Memphis today. Shot six over. It was my first ever tournament and I had a great time. I put the warship and the pure to good use but I didn’t have much need for the vandal that they gave us. The course we played in was mostly woods and required some tight shots. I highly recommend playing one of those “challenge” type tournaments if you want to have a fun experience!

I really like the pure. We played some today and were testing out throws. I ended up throwing the pure backhand about 180 feet. Still really liking the insanity. Got the virus in this afternoon and will try to get out and throw it tomorrow.