Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

EL BROMANCE posted:

The amount of apps that change their entire core to become just a generic clone makes that feel fine. OKCupid is now basically Tinder with all of its original functionality essentially stripped.

But the show went out of its way earlier to tell us that Bantr was super attached to its brand and theme when Shandy launched the whole "gently caress a celebrity" thing. I think an easier explanation is the writers are lazy and wanted that character to say something during the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Senor Tron posted:

Jamie becoming not an rear end in a top hat is one of the things the show did really well, especially the growth of his friendship with Roy and increased maturity and self-reflection in dealing with Keeley.

this is one of those things like the star wars sequels where the end product is so muddled and incomplete that it becomes a story about kylo ren, the only character with anything resembling an arc

in that way jamie tartt is the kylo ren of ted lasso, the only guy in three seasons to have a recognizable beginning middle and end

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i was trying to think if anyone else really had any kind of resolution to their plotlines and i remembered that the nigerian billionaire trying to ruin sam's life just kind of got bored and stopped doing it lol

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Wolfsheim posted:

i was trying to think if anyone else really had any kind of resolution to their plotlines and i remembered that the nigerian billionaire trying to ruin sam's life just kind of got bored and stopped doing it lol

"just kind of got bored and stopped doing it" feels like the ethos for season 3.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hmm

https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1666105302134009856?s=20

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
If the darts scene from season one was transplanted into season three it would just be a post-game scene with Ted and Rebecca, ruffled hair remarking “wow that was wild”, and we never see the actual game between Ted and Rupert.

Major plot developments happening off screen really deflated season 3 for me.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

God jesus no just let it die

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nate quitting/getting fired offscreen is probably the worst of those, since I honestly thought I missed an episode at first

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

bobjr posted:

Nate quitting/getting fired offscreen is probably the worst of those, since I honestly thought I missed an episode at first

Pretty much everything important in Nate's arc this season was done off screen, it's mind boggling.

But hey we did get the farewell dance!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Squashing Machine posted:

God jesus no just let it die

There is no god. Not if this gets made.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

They saved all of those important Nate scenes as flashbacks for the upcoming Ted-less season

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ted's story was really compelling (to me at least) when he was going through his divorce and having panic attacks. But that's probably because I've been through it and knew it was a really great portrayal of what can happen out of nowhere. This last season had a lot of good moments but the overall narrative really feels like they had to redo a bunch because Sudekis decided to leave after all. Kind of like Babylon 5 season 4 where they had to quickly wrap everything up because they thought they weren't getting season 5 after all.

I think the show has potential to continue as honestly Ted was the least interesting character in the whole thing and the schtick wore off pretty quick. Like someone said earlier, the last Scrubs season was actually pretty good once they found their footing, and at least the rest of the cast in this already has it. I'd rather they not and just let it go, but also I like a lot of the actors and hope they continue to get work and paid well.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ted can still use iMessage and Facetime to add in some folksy wisdom whenever needed, or during Diamond Dog meetings!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Nate was such an annoying turd I couldn’t imagine him being featured even more in a show

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Robobot posted:

The show started losing its way as soon as it stopped whole sale ripping off Major League. They had one season of worthwhile story to tell and then spun their wheels with saccharine swill. Not to mention getting super preachy about their swill this last season.

The juxtaposition of Rebecca and Ted’s stories of their parents during the funeral followed immediately by them all singing a group song was where it totally came apart for me. Finding your dad’s body after he took his own life is NOT the same as someone staying with a cheater. Like, what the hell?

Oh god the song. Cringiest pop culture moment of the past few years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why the hell did everyone lose their poo poo cheering when Ted said it was "perfect"? Was there some significance to the word "perfect" that I missed?

They lingered on the cheer for like a minute, I was looking around like what on earth is going on

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I half expected it to turn into a Harlem Shake

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Data Graham posted:

Why the hell did everyone lose their poo poo cheering when Ted said it was "perfect"? Was there some significance to the word "perfect" that I missed?

They lingered on the cheer for like a minute, I was looking around like what on earth is going on

they practised very hard on a thing they did for their soon-departing boss for whom they have a lot of affection, there's not a lot to it. diamond dogs were talking about julie andrews previously (i think roy said sound of music was his fav)

i've been down on the season like everyone else but imo it was a cute scene

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was cute, but it did get pretty long in the tooth by the end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Data Graham posted:

It was pretty over the top and ruined the "oh, that's kind of cute and touching in a weird way" moment

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah wait did they explain that this is what happened or did I blink? Remember them saying he got to play on the team but missed any justification.

Going to 'House of the Dragon' this show when it comes back with a fourth season. Not going to bother until the whole things out and only if folks say they righted the course.

TK-42-1 posted:

Ted's story was really compelling (to me at least) when he was going through his divorce and having panic attacks. But that's probably because I've been through it and knew it was a really great portrayal of what can happen out of nowhere.

I'm not someone who's been through that, so out of curiosity did it feel like a betrayal that the show takes the 'Ted's Moved On As Best He Can' resolution of the past couple seasons and turned it back into a will-they-won't-they with his ex? That she began dating his previous psychiatrist felt scummy on both her and the doc's end, but then the show leaned super hard into just the doc being an rear end. Hard to view that any other way than groundwork for them to reconcile, which to me felt like a "please disregard our previous morales".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It is so loving bananas unethical for a marriage counselor to date a former client that I'm loving gobsmacked that the show landed on Ted being the bad guy for being pissed about it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Hobo Clown posted:

They saved all of those important Nate scenes as flashbacks for the upcoming Ted-less season

New series should be called Ted-Less o.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

What’s really weird to me is that (unless I missed it somehow) they didn’t address that issue at all, to the point where it’s kinda like…why even make him the ex-counselor in the first place? Why not just make him some random guy?

And then his heel-turn into a condescending rear end during the West Ham match was just bizarre, given he really hadn’t acted very dickish at any other part of the season, least that I can remember.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'm not someone who's been through that, so out of curiosity did it feel like a betrayal that the show takes the 'Ted's Moved On As Best He Can' resolution of the past couple seasons and turned it back into a will-they-won't-they with his ex? That she began dating his previous psychiatrist felt scummy on both her and the doc's end, but then the show leaned super hard into just the doc being an rear end. Hard to view that any other way than groundwork for them to reconcile, which to me felt like a "please disregard our previous morales".

Yeah pretty much. Like the entire therapy storyline just kind of.... went away? and he was suddenly fine with it. But now he's not because the therapist moved in. The bit about having some other dude start doing stuff with/for your son in your absence is jarring and hard to get over but even that they just kind of touched on and didn't go into it at all. Which I guess is a running theme in storylines this season. Kind of like the bullying thing. Just.... dropped.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

LividLiquid posted:

It is so loving bananas unethical for a marriage counselor to date a former client that I'm loving gobsmacked that the show landed on Ted being the bad guy for being pissed about it.

It's so bad and weirdly unquestioned in the show that I have to believe it's intentional ragebait, similar to no one on the show having even the slightest hesitance around Sam and Rebecca hooking up. It's good for The Discourse and writing articles but terrible for believing these are actual people we're watching

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah pretty much. Like the entire therapy storyline just kind of.... went away? and he was suddenly fine with it. But now he's not because the therapist moved in. The bit about having some other dude start doing stuff with/for your son in your absence is jarring and hard to get over but even that they just kind of touched on and didn't go into it at all. Which I guess is a running theme in storylines this season. Kind of like the bullying thing. Just.... dropped.

Part of me wonders if maybe they tried to explorer this but it was hitting just a little too close to home for Sudeikis and they decided to drop it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

LividLiquid posted:

The counselor got gray hair in his last scene so you know he is BAD. simple

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They didn't even play up how wrong it was as a therapist dating their client, more Ted needed to move on from the marriage for good, because it was becoming a negative thing from him. It's mostly just the last episode where he's a huge dick about soccer for no reason, when his kid is a superfan of the team and presumably watches any game he can, so it's not like this would be a new thing for him.

If they weren't going to address it then it probably should have just been some random guy Ted didn't know at all, because then the idea that she's moving on when he isn't would come off better.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frasier grappled with the ethical issues of it more and he was an walking ethical disaster.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Beard answered a question about the therapist in that AMA and made it seem like the writers discussed it for a while but then landed on, “well enough time has passed since she was a patient so TECHNICALLY, LEGALLY it was ok! That’s it!” with their reference for the time period being one of the writers who was just pretty sure it was true.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Yeah wait did they explain that this is what happened or did I blink? Remember them saying he got to play on the team but missed any justification.

I think it was just a "good things are happening to everyone, he got to play on his national team" thing. Unless maybe that super league thing was so embarrassing that the billionaire just gave up entirely and moved on to another obsession.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Tweak posted:

Beard answered a question about the therapist in that AMA and made it seem like the writers discussed it for a while but then landed on, “well enough time has passed since she was a patient so TECHNICALLY, LEGALLY it was ok! That’s it!” with their reference for the time period being one of the writers who was just pretty sure it was true.

I love all these post-show interviews because the more people that worked on it talk about it, the more bizarre it all seems.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You could have had a few decent plots out of it, from Ted’s kid knowing something is wrong about it but not knowing exactly, and Ted having to talk to him without demonizing his ex-wife, to Ted wondering if he was manipulated, but they just kind of sidestepped all of it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

LividLiquid posted:

Not only that, it was supremely unethical for him to go from just being her counselor to being their couples counselor. That's a "let me refer the two of you to someone" situation. Couples counseling is a whole different ballgame.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

esperantinc posted:

Not only that, it was supremely unethical for him to go from just being her counselor to being their couples counselor. That's a "let me refer the two of you to someone" situation. Couples counseling is a whole different ballgame.

Wait I missed this part, he was her solo one first?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Lol it's 100% coming back

https://twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1666106940471009282

I'd be very surprised to see Brett Goldstein involved, I would think he's too busy with his commitments in Hollywood.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Adrianics posted:

Lol it's 100% coming back

https://twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1666106940471009282

I'd be very surprised to see Brett Goldstein involved, I would think he's too busy with his commitments in Hollywood.

Title change to The Richmond Way?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

socialsecurity posted:

Wait I missed this part, he was her solo one first?

Yeah I swear there was a bit in S2 where Ted was in with Dr. Sharon and went through the whole ordeal with her starting only with him solo, then Ted came in. I could be off base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Adrianics posted:

His only major ongoing/upcoming credit is Shrinking as far as I know. And a voice role in the Garfield movie I guess.

He has an MCU role but it feels unlikely that they'll do anything with his character any time soon.