Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, it mostly worked in Korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Eh, it mostly worked in Korea

The only reason Korea was a UN operation was because the USSR was boycotting the security council because China's vote was held by Taiwan.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Do people think the UN is a world government of some sort? It's weird how people constantly have a go at the UN as if it had power to do things. It's a talking club, that's the whole point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

Do people think the UN is a world government of some sort? It's weird how people constantly have a go at the UN as if it had power to do things. It's a talking club, that's the whole point.

UN could literally authorize use of force against russia right now. The only thing stopping that is russia (and China) being on the SC. See the post above for the one weird trick around that.

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

UN could literally authorize use of force against russia right now. The only thing stopping that is russia (and China) being on the SC.

Just one tiny thing stopping the UN. The entire way it is set up.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Would be pretty good if the idea of permanent members was scrapped tbh. Being able to block everyone with a veto only a few countries have is pretty poo poo. I'm sure countries like Palestine would like this a lot.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Antigravitas posted:

Do people think the UN is a world government of some sort?

Yes. A UN-led coup leading to the One World Government is a classic modern American conspiracy theory.

Blue Helmets! Black Helicopters! FEMA Death-Camps!

Tai posted:

Would be pretty good if the idea of permanent members was scrapped tbh. Being able to block everyone with a veto only a few countries have is pretty poo poo. I'm sure countries like Palestine would like this a lot.

This kills the UN. The security council, permanent seats and the veto power afforded to them is the only reason the UN lives while the League of Nations died.

I don't think Palestine benefits particularly much from that happening. Not saying it would hurt them more than they already are hurting, but who knows.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dead forum user posted:

Just one tiny thing stopping the UN. The entire way it is set up.
It's not just a "talking club" if it authorized military response multiple times before. It's pretty reasonable to want it to work when russia is genociding you too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

mobby_6kl posted:

UN could literally authorize use of force against russia right now. The only thing stopping that is russia (and China) being on the SC. See the post above for the one weird trick around that.

What would authorizing use of force against russia accomplish that isn't already happening? Do you think everyone else would suddenly invade Russia if they were to do so?

That only mattered (and not that much, given how it went in the end) for, like, Iraq, and only because nobody really thought Iraq was an actual threat on any level (no, not even with Colin's BS). Russia does, at least, have actual nukes, whatever their working condition or willingness to actually use them may be, and the sole proven useful trait of having nukes thus far has been 'prevents conventional invasion of your territory'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shoot you down, or support Russia (hahahahano), I just don't see what use there would be in that, as that graffiti so succinctly pointed out.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Neat. Seems like this was mostly experimental and ended with the Soviet union so not a thing done during Putin's rule unless there's some other info out there.

I remember they did successfully use a nuke to seal a gas well blowout, at least once. That was in ussr times well before the test ban treaty though. Sorry don't have a source handy, I wanted to reply before your post got buried. Neat stuff.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

This kills the UN. The security council, permanent seats and the veto power afforded to them is the only reason the UN lives while the League of Nations died.

I don't think Palestine benefits particularly much from that happening. Not saying it would hurt them more than they already are hurting, but who knows.

meh it might as well be

US uses it's veto when Isreal decides to be poo poo
China uses it for Taiwn and Uyghur concentration camps
Russia uses it when goes on joy rides into countries for a murder spree
UK et all probably have done it like Libya, Iraq etc

e - typo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Blue Helmets! Black Helicopters! FEMA Death-Camps!

Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Gee idk UN Peacekeepers could go in and demilitarize the ZNPP and ensure IAEA safety

It's only the Security Council stopping stuff like that

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/savaadaak/status/1666382852080955393

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Victis posted:

Gee idk UN Peacekeepers could go in and demilitarize the ZNPP and ensure IAEA safety

It's only the Security Council stopping stuff like that

What exactly do you do when a nuclear armed power says "nah" and starts shooting at the international peacekeeping forces?

The system could be improved but ultimately the permanent security council members are there because they already have a de facto veto.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

What exactly do you do when a nuclear armed power says "nah" and starts shooting at the international peacekeeping forces?

The system could be improved but ultimately the permanent security council members are there because they already have a de facto veto.

You shoot the russians

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Antigravitas posted:

United Nations serves as one of countless paper tiger threats for the right-wing to hate, simultaneously the juggernaut of the new world order leading to the destruction of sovereignty and a helpless baby organization with no authority or power

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is weird Clancy chat let's stop it here

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:allears:

Carth Dookie posted:

You used to be able to go on guided tours and there's a bunch of youtube videos of dorks sneaking into the exclusion zone
also of the videos I saw even those idiots who snuck in had the sense not to dig a loving trench or move stuff around too much.

Thanks for reminding me of how a bunch of conscripts decided to play around in said zone and mess with a load of spicy rocks :lmao:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Leopard 3:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1666352845573029889
Oryx got a shout out from David Petraeus.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

mobby_6kl posted:

You shoot the russians

Another example of Russians getting blamed when someone stubbed their toe

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Someone - could have been anybody, really - blew up an ammonia pipeline near Kharkiv:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russia-bombs-ruptures-ammonia-pipeline-30174311

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-forces-repeatedly-shell-ammonia-pipeline-ukraines-kharkiv-region-2023-06-06/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ll wait for the photo of a boot that’s commonly used by American soldiers.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

This smells like horseshit to me

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1666477698607087616?s=20

Kofman weighs in. I'm not a military expert, but it matches my impression that a river crossing was highly unlikely in any case.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1666477698607087616?s=20

Kofman weighs in. I'm not a military expert, but it matches my impression that a river crossing was highly unlikely in any case.

Once the water recedes in a few weeks, it may actually make river crossings easier, or at least open up a bunch of new places where it would be possible.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I was thinking that didn't bursting the dam also pretty much gently caress up the Russian possibility to support their front in Melitopol from west? So if Melitopol or Berdiansk is where UAF is currently attacking, Russian also did a major fuckup to ensure that their forces in Herson which also could have helped in Melitopol are now floating towards Romania.

And in few days when the water starts to recede, they need to asspull new brigades to guard the southern bank to replace the drowned ones, unless they just withdraw to Crimea and leave the area uncontested.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

the rebuilding has already begun I see

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Canadian troops spotted, first confirmed NATO soldiers

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Once the water recedes in a few weeks, it may actually make river crossings easier, or at least open up a bunch of new places where it would be possible.

Youtuber Reporting From Ukraine makes this point too, he says that water upstream where the reservoir was will now recede over the next two weeks and turn the front where an amphibious assault is possible from 70km to 250km.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

deported to Canada posted:

Youtuber Reporting From Ukraine makes this point too, he says that water upstream where the reservoir was will now recede over the next two weeks and turn the front where an amphibious assault is possible from 70km to 250km.

That's the only thing that makes me consider that it could be Ukraine. But I very very much doubt they would do it. Putting Kherson (which is Ukranian) underwater is not a good look.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Deki posted:

The UN was never meant to reign in world powers.

It sucks, but the second it tries it, the whole purpose of it (providing direct means to limit tensions between nuclear powers) falls apart.

Which is fine, but in that case it doesn't require limitless salaries for six figure, two weeks' work a year, 'risk and security advisory research working group' grifters. Find something else for ambassadors' lovely kids and washed up spies to do.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The dam break smells like the Russian military seeing the start of the counteroffensive and deciding "well we have to do something to stop it!" as a kind of half baked attempt at appearing to the Kremlin that they are fighting to hold ground at all costs.

Though more likely it's just a petty "gently caress you" as they leave the area and won't be around to detonate it later.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Volunteer Update

I'm in touch with the international affairs liason for Dobrobat and have a much more clear picture of how things are run. Kyiv has daily rebuilding groups that organize at a metro station and work for 8 to 10 hours. For my stay in Kyiv I'll need to coordinate my own lodging. For oblasts outside of Kyiv, Dobrobat has a dormitory system set up with trips that run between 1 and 2 weeks. I've set up a gofundme to help cover some of my travel and equipment costs. Can I get a mod sanction to post it here?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Roblo posted:

That's the only thing that makes me consider that it could be Ukraine. But I very very much doubt they would do it. Putting Kherson (which is Ukranian) underwater is not a good look.

BTW lovely avatar considering the situation.

On the other hand, had Russians been competent just once, and caused only partial collapse the water level below the dam would have risen enough to make amphibious assault west of Nova Kahkova impossible due to those shallow south bank island being just enough underwater that they cant carry vehicles, and cannot be fortified. But they messed it up, caused too much damage to the dam, and washed their entire south bank defense positions to the black sea. Along with all the equipment and manpower they still had stationed there.

If the water travels 24 km/h and water rises rapidly to waist level, and keeps rising for the next several days, anything that was parked in the flooded area when the water got there will be written off as a total loss, army vehicles or not. And troops which were abandoned there aren't going to just walk away either.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 7, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Roblo posted:

Also, the part where it's a massive piece of infrastructure that will take years to rebuild. The kind of thing you own that you would generally prefer to avoid blowing up without a drat good reason.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mr. Merdle posted:

Can I get a mod sanction to post it here?

Hard no on posting the GoFundMe here my friend

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 7, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr. Merdle posted:

Volunteer Update

I'm in touch with the international affairs liason for Dobrobat and have a much more clear picture of how things are run. Kyiv has daily rebuilding groups that organize at a metro station and work for 8 to 10 hours. For my stay in Kyiv I'll need to coordinate my own lodging. For oblasts outside of Kyiv, Dobrobat has a dormitory system set up with trips that run between 1 and 2 weeks. I've set up a gofundme to help cover some of my travel and equipment costs. Can I get a mod sanction to post it here?

No and please don't Caro yourself goon buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Merdle posted:

Volunteer Update

Go to r/Ukraine and talk to their mod staff for charitable/volunteer verification. They have a whole process for in-country volunteers. I'm taking the assumption that you're either going regardless or already there, so stay safe