Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They confirmed they were doing a live action Miles movie a few weeks ago.

A lot of terrible things get confirmed all the time what's your point :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

I’m sure it could work, but all I could think when I saw this IMDB picture was “how do you do fellow teens?”

Could probably pull it off for a cameo in Secret Wars. Then cast an actual teen when for Spider-Man 5 or 6.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did Vulpes ever say if it was his decision to make Spider-Punk Hobie? I think he said the universe designation was his choice.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I saw an interview with Moore before the movie and it was weirding me out because he's clearly a grown man, but that's his actual voice

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did Vulpes ever say if it was his decision to make Spider-Punk Hobie? I think he said the universe designation was his choice.

Yeah, that was mine.

edit: from the original script (apparently before I knew how to use a script template)-

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 7, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a fan of original Lee/Romita Prowler it somewhat saddens me that that Hobie is pretty much gone. A combination of Miles' various versions of Prowler and now Spider-Punk have taken precedence.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider Punk rules hard though. People seem to be reacting well to another black Spider-Man.

With great power comes no future.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider Punk rules hard though. People seem to be reacting well to another black Spider-Man.

With great power comes no future.

He definitely does, and I like the Davis Prowler as well.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Spider-Punk is about to be so loving popular after this movie lol it’s kinda cool to see Hobie get this giant surge in popularity (even if it’s an alternate universe version of him) 50+ years after his first appearance.

In general, it’s really cool the way the Spider-Verse movies have elevated the Prowler character. They feel vital to the stories now. It’s like they’re in a way investigating Prowler as the other side of the coin of “Spider-Man,” which was certainly subtext in some of his early appearances…but is text now in the films

It’s just wild to see giant crowds of people lose their minds at a Prowler reveal, who was at best a C-tier Spidey foe/supporting character. But all you have to do is find the right story!!

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 7, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It’s just wild to see giant crowds of people lose their minds at a Prowler reveal, who was at best a C-tier Spidey foe/supporting character. But all you have to do is find the right story!!

Having a godlike theme song definitely helps too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It helps that his Spiderverse design looks cool but also he looks amazing in animation.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Not seen the film yet but it's really heartwarming to hear Hobie's getting some time to shine at long last, even if it is a multiverse Spider-Punk version. HIs Prowler was around a fair bit when I first properly got into Spidey comics and he left an impression on me, so I have to admit all the "Miles' uncle is the only Prowler anyone knows these days" stuff kinda bugged me a bit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Bendis was barking up the wrong tree when he tried to change Aaron's identity after Secret Wars. They should've made Hobie into the new Iron Spider.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Not seen the film yet but it's really heartwarming to hear Hobie's getting some time to shine at long last, even if it is a multiverse Spider-Punk version.

The best thing about Hobie, major spoilers for the movie ahead, they squash the love triangle stuff pretty much immediately when he shows up. He's INSTANTLY on Miles' side, and Miles thinks he's super cool. The movie makes it pretty clear to me that Gwen has a thing for Miles, not Hobie, and Hobie is on Miles' side the entire movie. There's never a hint of a triangle outside of Miles being a little jealous when first hearing about Hobie. He even helps Miles escape his cage and then of course he's the reason Gwen is able to leave her dimension and find Miles. I don't know what was up with that tweet from one of the people on the film (I think?) that was saying how ATS is a love triangle between the three of them because it's not at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macaluso posted:

The best thing about Hobie, major spoilers for the movie ahead, they squash the love triangle stuff pretty much immediately when he shows up. He's INSTANTLY on Miles' side, and Miles thinks he's super cool. The movie makes it pretty clear to me that Gwen has a thing for Miles, not Hobie, and Hobie is on Miles' side the entire movie. There's never a hint of a triangle outside of Miles being a little jealous when first hearing about Hobie. He even helps Miles escape his cage and then of course he's the reason Gwen is able to leave her dimension and find Miles. I don't know what was up with that tweet from one of the people on the film (I think?) that was saying how ATS is a love triangle between the three of them because it's not at all.

Yeah, it's pretty clearly implied Gwen tried to move on because of the situation with Miles. Once she sees him again though that's just 100% over. And Hobie definitely knows because he peaces out while Gwen is still on Team Miguel and doesn't see the turn, yet he sent the watch so he knew exactly what the situation is.

God drat Hobie's so cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On the many, many things that make Hobie the coolest dude ever, there's gotta be the fact that he's so distinctly and awesomely animated in a movie all about having a dozen distinct and cool animation styles.

In a movie with a couple hundred spider-men and like twenty spider-man stand out, he really stands out. loving love it here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hobie himself has 3 or 4 different animation styles at once.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
About the Love triangle. Which isn't a thing. But also it feels gross as hell to me. Isn't Hobie mid-20s and Gwen like 16-17?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RE: Hobie I think it again plays into the 'watch the hands' thing from the first one: Miguel and everyone else is so focused on Hobie's Camden punk banter that they don't notice him stealing a bunch of bits and pieces he then uses to make Gwen her new dimensional portal watch. Which he's doing even before Miles decides to fight (and he even makes a few comments to Miles about Miguel that make it clear some of the banter is the typical Spider-Man 'keep talking to distract your opponent' shtick)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bunnyofdoom posted:

About the Love triangle. Which isn't a thing. But also it feels gross as hell to me. Isn't Hobie mid-20s and Gwen like 16-17?

Weirdly Hobie is meant to be about 17/18, but he reads mid-20s

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I didn't realize Miles and Gwen were only supposed to be 15, although I'm pretty unfamilar with the type of school situation Miles is in where he's got like a dorm room but also he stays at home too. I know that type of system exists but that's never been a thing in my life or in anyone I know's life so when I see dorm room I just automatically think "college"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I didn't realize Miles and Gwen were only supposed to be 15, although I'm pretty unfamilar with the type of school situation Miles is in where he's got like a dorm room but also he stays at home too. I know that type of system exists but that's never been a thing in my life or in anyone I know's life so when I see dorm room I just automatically think "college"

In ATSV Miles is supposed to be about 16 and Gwen 17. She’s a bit older.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
One thing I'll say: a proper triangle has three sides.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not a love triangle, Hobie doesn't care for labels

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I believe he says he’s 15 in this movie. And Gwen was a year older than him in the first one. So 16 now, presumably.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think she says she's 15 months older in one of the two movies. I also thought everyone was older in general, but being a spider-man is a lot of stress and difficult situations, plus massive growth spurt, so it's probably that.

Random stray thoughts a day after seeing the movie
-I love so, so, so much that the movie tackles the self inflicted circle of suffering spider-man can trap themselves in, and Miguel essentially creating a system that ensures it (even if it does seemingly need to happen so the multiverse don't break) and even helps Spider-people get away from their real identities for a while to be spider-man even more, thus getting even further away from their humanity and love is just, ungh, this movie was made for me.
-The payoff to Universe 42 is so cool, I can't wait to see more of it.
-If the point of the Spider Society is to ensure the safety of the multiverse, by ensuring the six steps of being spider-man, which seem to be suffering, and Miles is already an aberration to it by having teh bite of a spider from another universe, then Peter B. having a family again, having a daughter, a daughter he straight up says only exists thanks to Miles, then... then idk but Mayday is gonna be super important and cool.
-Spectacular Spider-man almost made me scream. loving love that manlet. Can't believe we got to see him over Captain Stacy's body like they had supposedly planned. I think it was said that would be like season 5 or something and Gwen's death would be in a hypothetical movie?
-I wonder if we'll get to see 90s cartoon Spidey. He could be a pretty cool foil to Miguel since he also did some universe hopping, met Stan Lee and found self-worth and happiness at the end. I would be more than satisfied if we see that he found MJ. Just kinda wondering if they could be saving him since his show is also pretty much the only other time Spot showed up outside of comics, but it's also a fox cartoon now owned by Disney so idk how those rights would work and maybe he's just not gonna be here.
-"I bet she doesn't speak spanish" Miles' mom was so loving on point

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The dorm is kind of weird because it is clear the school isn't that far away for his apartment.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
not all boarding schools are military schools or punitive.

on the other end of the spectrum they are prestigious and tuition-based. kids will go and spend the week there, and then spend the weekends at home.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Spider-Man Unlimited, who we see quite a bit in this movie, IS technically 90’s TAS Spidey. I assume that’s why we didn’t see both.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Spider-Man Unlimited, who we see quite a bit in this movie, IS technically 90’s TAS Spidey. I assume that’s why we didn’t see both.

Just have another one be from another another dimension.

Also a severe lack if symbiotes in all of these spider men.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

kiminewt posted:

Just have another one be from another another dimension.

Also a severe lack if symbiotes in all of these spider men.

I suspect that like, based off the multiverse watching and canon events, HQ has a strict no symbiotes unless prisoner rule.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I watched this time and it seems like the symbiote thing is classified as a “canon event”, so Miguel probably needs it to happen, but also needs to not have any Spidey people currently connected to one at HQ

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope we get actual comics 616 Peter in the next movie somehow. I keep thinking how cool it would be if they could find a way to translate him being from a comic book on to the screen. Maybe 2 dimensional and talking in speech bubbles. I dunno. I'm sure they could come up with a way to do it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^^^Well, maybe not 616 but newspaper Spider-Man?

Ok so I haven't seen Across the Spiderverse yet, without getting too spoilery, is it a bummer in anyway? Like I know Gwen's story is and the trailer seems to be setting Miles up a "you can't save everyone" plot and he seems to be resisting that idea but it is a 2 parter. Basically my partner found the conclusion of No Way Home to be triggering and has been lamenting that every hero story has to involve losing a loved one or some other comparable tragedy. Where does this one lie on the Spider-Misery scale?

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 7, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't symbiotes canonically have like a cross-dimensional, seeing across all time hive mind now? Seems like that's more trouble than it's worth even if it could occasionally be useful.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ok so I haven't seen Across the Spiderverse yet, without getting too spoilery, is it a bummer in anyway? Like I know Gwen's story is and the trailer seems to be setting Miles up a "you can't save everyone" plot and he seems to be resisting that idea but it is a 2 parter. Basically my partner found the conclusion of No Way Home to be triggering and has been lamenting that every hero story has to involve losing a loved one or some other comparable tragedy. Where does this one lie on the Spider-Misery scale?

It's not an Empire Strikes Back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Without trying to spoil too much, it kind of feels like a pushback against a lot of what Spiderman "has" to be

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only bummer is that it ends.

But no, it's not a downer movie at all.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Seeing it Friday.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Macaluso posted:

Without trying to spoil too much, it kind of feels like a pushback against a lot of what Spiderman "has" to be

Yeah this is entirely a movie about how the “canon” and slavish dedication to it can be harmful to story-telling.

He’s gonna save everybody. Because he’s Spider-Man. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, the law of film says that the antagonist is wrong when he tells the hero he can't do something. We all know that.

But a 2 parter means they can usually have their cake and eat it too, like Infinity War. This is not that though.