Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

And I love that there’s also this video from the identical spot. No serious injury afaik. Tucks is such a shitshow this weekend. Glad I’m not up there.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrGMwiTOZNI/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ought ten posted:

And I love that there’s also this video from the identical spot. No serious injury afaik. Tucks is such a shitshow this weekend. Glad I’m not up there.

it was actually a ton of fun, except those 5 minutes where I thought that guy died

Also respect to this dude for sending it like that but it was a wild rear end fall

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yesterday was cold as poo poo on top of the tunnel. 3” on top of boilerplate. We bailed by noon and went to Tommyknocker. The cask IPA is legit, and their green chile remains S-tier :ssh:. A++ would dip the poo poo out of some fries into it.

I heard Vail got dumped on, though. Shoulda gone there.

My body is ready for corn.

Warbird posted:

I’m up in NJ and realized I left my gloves in NC. Anyone got some decent glove recommendations? Preferably available at REI? I don’t want to pay for another up charged crappy Big Snow pair again.

Truck M1 Pros. If your hands run cold, maybe grab some mittens too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ended up grabbing a pair of Kinco Hydroflectors but I’ll give those a look if I end up not liking them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Time posted:

it was actually a ton of fun, except those 5 minutes where I thought that guy died

Also respect to this dude for sending it like that but it was a wild rear end fall

Fair enough. Glad it was a good time.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Yesterday was cold as poo poo on top of the tunnel. 3” on top of boilerplate. We bailed by noon and went to Tommyknocker. The cask IPA is legit, and their green chile remains S-tier :ssh:. A++ would dip the poo poo out of some fries into it.

Skied close to there yesterday in dry gulch. Started clearing up around 1 and was downright nice by the time we were back at the car. I enjoyed the conditions a lot - not the best pow day ever but super entertaining. We found some very smooth bed surface to ski too which helped a lot. Would not want to be skiing over refrozen tracks in that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Been eyeing San Gorgonio for months and now that the spring is upon us, the weather just refuses to align with my schedule. When I have free time it’s too warm and doesn’t freeze overnight, when I’m busy we get nice overnight freezing and sunny days.

Meanwhile the snow down at the 7000ft trailhead is melting out fast.

Maybe I have to bail on work this Wednesday even though I’m already taking off Friday…

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ought ten posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrJdq9PrJyS/

Gopro footage after his fall and climb out of the ice waterfall. Really shows how lucky he is to be alive. That hole is insane.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy sugar is his chosen expletive after cheating death by falling into a waterfall crevasse and ice climbing out?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Holy Sugar is a good phrase and I'm stealing. Holy sugar in my head is the proper term for snow which can be sweet but is also basically poison that can kill you if there is too much.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thinking about going back to tucks this weekend

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm just back from a really nice ski tour. The original plan was to start in Gressoney in Italy, climb over Monte Rosa to Zermatt, then cross into the Val d'Anniviers where my place is, but Zermatt has had a really bad season and the Grenzgletscher is apparently super sketchy so we did a loop in the val d'Anniviers instead. Tbh it was probably a better trip, we did a huge couloir, à little bit of mountaineering crossing an arête, climbed and skied a 4000er.

Here are some pics. Apologies Postimages messes up the order so they're not sequential.

One of the guys summiting the Blanc de Moming with the Obergabelhorn in the back

This is the Pigne de la Le, we skied the couloir to the right as you look at it

Cabane de Tracuit, the glaciated knobble in centre of the pic is the Breithorn which we skied

Skiing the Glacier de Moming, amazing to do with huge crevasses all over the place

Skinning up the Moiry glacier to access the Pigne de la Le. That's me on the left

This is the Glacier de Moming with the Zinalrothorn on the left and the Besso to the right. We traversed the ridge at the top and climbed onto the rounded peak mid-right then skied diagonally across the glacier to the shelf, crossed over to the right, and descended the last bit at the edge of the glacier. Amazing day.

The Arête du Blanc

Glacier de Moming

Summiting the Pigne de la Le

Early start from the Cabane de Moiry

One of the guys on the top of the Bishorn, the Weisshorn in the background

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Awesome tour, that couloir looks fantastic

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Any idea of how long the season in whistler will last this year?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ubiquitus posted:

Any idea of how long the season in whistler will last this year?

Blackcomb closes May 22

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spring resort skiing is stupid fun.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Spring resort skiing is stupid fun.

Today was such a good day. I dusted off the tele setup for the Corn Harvest. Fantastic conditions all day, and everyone just having a good time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They had a slush cup at Breck but we just did a few hikes up to lake chutes. Everyone was having fun.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Has anyone been to Tahoe, specifically Heavenly, lately that can comment on the remaining snow quality? My wife and I have flights for closing weekend but the weather looks pretty crummy this whole week so we might cancel.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

resident posted:

Has anyone been to Tahoe, specifically Heavenly, lately that can comment on the remaining snow quality? My wife and I have flights for closing weekend but the weather looks pretty crummy this whole week so we might cancel.

I can't comment on what Heavenly conditions are like specifically. I've been out consistently at Palisades and there's still a fuckload of snow, like, lines that often don't go at all the entire season are still going right now. It's spring, which IMO is great skiing.

Yesterday took the kids out for their last day of lessons for the year; ended up hanging out with my daughter's lesson group for a little bit in the morning and helping the instructor out and just being around for her. Learned that NASTAR at Palisades is now free when the instructor suggested taking everyone there. Haven't run gates in many years and NASTAR courses are a joke but it was still fun.

Peeled myself away when a buddy showed up and wanted to get some laps in; he's a bolder skier than I am so it was good to be pushed a bit. Started escalating our chute straightlines and then ended up running into Daron Rhalves, Connery Lundine, and Donny Pelletier (lol) standing around above a cornice waiting for the sun to come out for a Warren Miller film segment. Chatted for a bit, then took a lap down to this chute:

https://i.imgur.com/49msLMG.mp4
(Adrenaline chute, for those familiar with palisades).

Looped back around, they were still there. Mentioned that we hit it and it was good, then they suggested to each other that they go there next.

Then we skied down ahead of them to this line

https://i.imgur.com/POCdDZo.mp4
(apologies for my poor video editing, I'm lazy)

You can see above he was watched

Then this morning I saw across a few IG stories that they did indeed follow my buddy down that same line, and then also followed his suggestion to ski adrenaline chute.

So he better get credited in whatever they were filming.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The moral of the story here is that I loving love skiing, and while I'm a bit grumpy that I can't ride my mountain bike yet without driving downhill a bunch, I'm not that grumpy because I can resort ski for the next two months still

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
gently caress Vail

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

The moral of the story here is that I loving love skiing, and while I'm a bit grumpy that I can't ride my mountain bike yet without driving downhill a bunch, I'm not that grumpy because I can resort ski for the next two months still

The stuff palisades is doing with Donny has been really funny

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The weather for the closing weekend of my VT resort has gone from dreary and rainy to warm and increasingly sunny and I'm so pumped to have a proper send off to the season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Took a PTO day and had a big one with Anachronist.

Ruby Gulch trail head tup to Woods, down the south face, up to Parnassus, skied the drain pipe, up to unnamed 12730, down something, into a bush whack/slog to the car. 10.3 miles, 5800'. My legs are dog tired right now. Anachronist completely carried me as usual.

Pretty well nailed the plan: https://caltopo.com/m/4LE8U

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Took a PTO day and had a big one with Anachronist.

Ruby Gulch trail head tup to Woods, down the south face, up to Parnassus, skied the drain pipe, up to unnamed 12730, down something, into a bush whack/slog to the car. 10.3 miles, 5800'. My legs are dog tired right now. Anachronist completely carried me as usual.

Pretty well nailed the plan: https://caltopo.com/m/4LE8U

TIL you can ski off the back of URAD (was the lake open?). That looks like a big, and awesome, day!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They haven't plowed from the switch backs up yet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Couple videos from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g6JHwdPXmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3-6qQ5IqOE

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
https://twitter.com/sheriffalert/status/1654968094538833920?s=46&t=kL6Z0A7av6SPDgzujLAtkg

Was just thinking today, “I bet people are skiing Wilson Peak”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Feel bad for that guy but can I just take a minute to say

goddam Telluride is picturesque

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
yeah it’s a nice place to be

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Two thousand foot fall :catstare:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My partner said she saw someone lose a ski down 600' of vert on Mt Sopris today near the topmost ridge. Mountains and gravity are some pretty impressive things

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Waxing involves a lot of bro-science, doesn't it? Apparently I'm a horrible monster for not caking my board in a thick layer of wax over summer, to prevent it from "drying out". The hell does that mean anyway? It's ultra high density polyethylene, why it would it be affected by anything if it's stored away instead of being used/worn down?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Waxing involves a lot of bro-science, doesn't it? Apparently I'm a horrible monster for not caking my board in a thick layer of wax over summer, to prevent it from "drying out". The hell does that mean anyway? It's ultra high density polyethylene, why it would it be affected by anything if it's stored away instead of being used/worn down?

If you let your board dry out over the summer it becomes that much more difficult to bring it back to shape next winter. It takes like five minutes to put a layer of wax on your board before next season, do it to take care of your equipment.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you store it in a cool place out of the sun i wouldn't worry about it. I never wax my boards for the summer, somehow they are always fast in the fall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just making sure your skis are clean and dry is probably fine. Doing a normal wax job would be nice to do. Leaving a big caked on layer without scraping and brushing I guess saves you time now but then is more work next winter.. After I get home I usually lean my skis against the bench and wipe the bases and edges dry and then let them sit for awhile before i strap them together. And then I did buy myself some nice vices and an iron and stuff this year so I've been tuning and waxing my skis on a pretty regular basis. BC stuff basically when I notice my skins sticking too hard to the bases, resort skis when the edges don't seem grabby enough.

This swix video is pretty good for how to wax skis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_7wOLDc0Kk

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 29, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a rotobrush which makes a huge difference to the faff of waxing skis. A bit annoyingly expensive but makes me much more likely to bother.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What are the best sites to pick up gear during the summer sales? As a Texas skier that's looking to put more time on the slopes every year it's finally time I got something proper instead of the stuff I've scavenged from Goodwill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

George H.W. oval office posted:

What are the best sites to pick up gear during the summer sales? As a Texas skier that's looking to put more time on the slopes every year it's finally time I got something proper instead of the stuff I've scavenged from Goodwill.

When I bought my skis, evo did a pretty great clearance on them when I bought in March a few years back. They were 50% off (last year of the soul7)