Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does nnk2 ever acknowledge the last thing the president sees before getting isekaied is his country getting nuked?

Feel like you could get some interesting character writing out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes but not until the last ten minutes where it turns out it never actually happens because uh magic?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people who love the time loop stuff and puzzling stuff out between loops should check out the japanese board game Tragedy Looper, it's very good and also insanely niche

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Countblanc posted:

people who love the time loop stuff and puzzling stuff out between loops should check out the japanese board game Tragedy Looper, it's very good and also insanely niche

Good luck finding people to play it with though. :smith:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

oh dang, that sounds insanely cool

I know literally zero people for board game stuff though rip

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Tragedy Looper is such a sick social deduction X board game crossover that leans super hard into the anime time loop aesthetic, but yeah I have only played like two games ever of it :negative:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
haha... one day i will play my copy of tradgey looper... one day...

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

my favorite mechanic in Tragedy Looper is how since the mastermind plays facedown, you are explicitly permitted to bluff and make illegal plays that don't do anything solely to gently caress with the other players

there's nothing like revealing they spent a once-per-loop cancel on your attempt to make the school get up and walk somewhere to really get you into the right mindset

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Refunded Ni No Kuni 2 because of persistent microstutter, and because the game chose not to rip of Ys, nor did the game look to transform into Dark Cloud 3.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is SMTV the game hold on its own? I do know that the story doesn't exist.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Its good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Refunded Ni No Kuni 2 because of persistent microstutter, and because the game chose not to rip of Ys, nor did the game look to transform into Dark Cloud 3.

It has the main facet of a Dark Cloud game, being extremely boring and repetitive

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SMTV Pwns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
poo poo mehgami turdsei why

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Win Megami Tensai Voted 5

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SMT 5 is pretty good. I don't like it as much as SMT 4 or SMT 4 or SMT 4 but it's still a banger.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked Ni no Kuni 2. The town building and war battles had the faintest whiff of suikoden vibes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Still no date on either the Suikoden remaster or Suikoden knockoff.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Still no date on either the Suikoden remaster or Suikoden knockoff.

It's coming. In Keighley we trust :pray:

Although I'd be surprised if the Suikoden kickstarter game comes out this year judging by their monthly updates..

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

the remasters are shadow dropping this month. hashtag manifesting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't think there's a greater upgrade in a sequel than getting a car in Trails to Azure. You spend the entirety of Zero having to take the bus to get anywhere and being annoyed by the fact that the 1st division detectives get personal cars, and then early in Azure you get your own customizable ride and it's just the absolute best feeling even if it barely actually makes a difference in gameplay.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
SMT V is more of a disappointment than anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey do the Etrian Odyssey games have a lot of plot or are they just mostly crawling the dungeon. I need something that doesn't have much/any next.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Hey do the Etrian Odyssey games have a lot of plot or are they just mostly crawling the dungeon. I need something that doesn't have much/any next.

They have a barebones plot but it's mostly just context as to where you're dungeon diving. The remakes back on the 3DS had a more explicitly plot heavy mode but I don't think those are part of the HD versions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hd versions are pretty direct updates of the ds versions and not the untolds at all so yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

they have a plot but not a ton of it. like every group of 4-5 floors has its own little plot arc for the most part but we're talking like, 30 lines of text per, split up over hours of exploring. you'll go entire play sessions without any. the sidequests also have little narratives but 90% of the time they're just the side quest npc explaining the problem and then them explaining how it resolved. again, like 5-6 lines per sidequest.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m kind of offended EO1 doesn’t seem to have new lines from the townspeople for each floor. That’s the real improvement 2 made.

Although admittedly the only text I remember from 2 is Cass getting mad when you left boulders in front of his bar.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I've full circled from pretending I like Yiik as a bit to actually liking it. It's flawed in many ways and has a largely unlikeable cast, but it never feels boring. I like the way the game looks and sounds, and the combat is engaging even though the timed reaction parts seem tuned to mostly make you fail.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

huh, the ps4 version isn't happening in pal-land

or, australia at least

?

Showing on my ps store here in Aus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Sometimes Food posted:

?

Showing on my ps store here in Aus.

can you guess why i might say that then

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Etrian Odyssey is up next on the docket next, then, thanks ya'll

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played some of the Dungeon Menu demo, didn't really like it. Concept is neat but the execution is kind of shallow, there's nothing to do besides just going from floor to floor with no sense of progress, the dungeons are bland as hell and there aren't really enough interesting mechanics to keep me hooked otherwise. Maybe I didn't play far enough, or the demo is limiting the stuff that it's showing though.

Also yes Tragedy Looper is an excellent board game, the only issue I have with it is that I am absolutely terrible at playing The Mastermind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

doesn't the president of the united states murder some dudes with his piece in that game?
yeah but then you hit gameplay and it turns into just The Type Of Ranged Weapon He Can Equip and is no longer notable or special

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
from reading user reviews, it seems like they're a bit kinder to loop8 but even the one i read from a jp gunparade march fan shares the same universal issues people have with it and seems to admit that they're mostly giving the game a chance because it's been so long since there's been anything like it

the biggest bummer it sounds like is that most of the relationship stuff is just stat boosts and they don't recreate any of the weirder and deeper aspects of it that were in older games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Redezga posted:

I've full circled from pretending I like Yiik as a bit to actually liking it. It's flawed in many ways and has a largely unlikeable cast, but it never feels boring. I like the way the game looks and sounds, and the combat is engaging even though the timed reaction parts seem tuned to mostly make you fail.

confirmed: irony is toxic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry but yiikpilled posters must be expelled from this thread, with lethal force.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does nnk2 ever acknowledge the last thing the president sees before getting isekaied is his country getting nuked?

Feel like you could get some interesting character writing out of that.

The most amazing thing is how the game starts off with a bonkers intro and then just fails to follow up at all.

fridge corn posted:

It's coming. In Keighley we trust :pray:

Although I'd be surprised if the Suikoden kickstarter game comes out this year judging by their monthly updates..

I'm fine with it coming out next year instead of this year if it means the game is better able to live up to expectations.

Redezga posted:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ni no kuni games are so bad that they made me not really like ghibli movies anymore