Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SpartanIvy posted:

Whoever originally set up those lot lines needs to be punched

I'd like to blame the fact that the entire block, except for our two houses, got bought out in the 80s for a for-profit college building (which has since been torn down and redeveloped) but my garage facing the street was built in like the 20s, with an addition in the 70s. And there used to be an alley behind our houses. But basically it's always been hosed up from the very start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

How would knowing the property line is 2 foot 6 vs 2 foot 8 from my garage inform my decision-making?

Because if one of the garages is on a lot line then it's only ONE of your problems for example.

The exercise here is not allowing part of your property to be fenced in with their property to prevent multiple potential issues going forward. If you don't know what is your property you can't do that.

As I said before: if they want to put up a fence they have to pony up for the metes and bounds survey.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They may be getting one of those done, they mentioned they don't know exactly how far back their lot goes, and that they'd need to figure that out as part of this. Both of our garages have roof overhangs, so I highly doubt either of them is built with the structure up against the lot line, so no matter what I'm sure the real legal property line is somewhere between those two structures, making it a shared problem of ours.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's probably worth considering some other ways to dissuade people from camping out between your garages to shoot up as well. Having people just hanging out and doing drugs that close to your houses is a big problem to begin with, before we even get into discussing property lines. You need to sit down with your neighbor and discuss how you can address that. I don't know that fencing in the alley between your garages is going to do that, not unless you build something pretty high that would be difficult to scale. I'd also be concerned with liability on your homeowner's if someone got injured in there, just in general, in addition to the fact that being the local drug hang out isn't great for a host of reasons.

I'd probably start by putting up visible lights in that area, visible cameras, and some signs to that effect. That alone might be enough to encourage people to gently caress off somewhere else. The solitary good thing about that property layout is that from where I'm sitting it looks like you could put some really gently caress off huge flood lamps in between the garages without bothering either your houses or any other neighbors.

Beyond that, in your shoes, and with the situation as I understand it, I'd be VERY tempted to get a property survey done myself and then put a good fence around my entire lot. Maybe that means that you end up tying the fence into the side of your garage to keep the walkway between them intact. Maybe not. But at the very least it would make all this sketchy poo poo your neighbor's problem and not yours. This also doesn't require you sitting down with your neighbor if you're adverse to that. Even so, I'd be slapping up some big assed lights and cameras on my garage pointing into that walkway.

Their solution to the drug users etc. is probably going to be to fence in their property as well, especially the part that bumps up against those woods.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FISHMANPET posted:

How would knowing the property line is 2 foot 6 vs 2 foot 8 from my garage inform my decision-making?
Because the property line might be 1 foot from his garage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because the property line might be 1 foot from his garage.

Or with the history provided and screwy lots it might be through the inside of one of the garages. Nobody knows and I don't really understand how its even a question as to how much the specifics matter in a situation like this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If the property line is directly against one of our garages, or goes through one of our garages, then that would change things. But let's say for the sake of argument that the property is somewhere between our two garages. If we get a survey and that's the result, what next?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

If the property line is directly against one of our garages, or goes through one of our garages, then that would change things. But let's say for the sake of argument that the property is somewhere between our two garages. If we get a survey and that's the result, what next?

It still depends on exactly where the property line is and where the other ones are.

It's not clear why you think you can pre-figure this out without the most relevant piece of information or what you are trying to accomplish in doing so.

I guess that's the question then: why are you trying to shop for a solution based on guessing? Where do you think that gets you? Are you trying to come up with alternative solutions to present to your neighbor? Are you trying to come up with defensive options?

The next step is either talking to your neighbor and being like "hey, got it you want to put up a fence. But I can't agree to any proposal or even really discuss options until we understand where the property lines are. When are you getting a survey done? Let's discuss solutions for the shared lines then."

Or if you want to be conflict avoidant get your own survey done.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Secure your own property. Build a fence along your lot lines. Make the area unattractive for people to shoot up via cameras and lights. Recommend that your neighbor fence in the wood line on his side and anything else that helps make it unattractive as a pass through or hang out.

This is one of those situations where you need to take care of your own poo poo, regardless of what your neighbor decides.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In which direction was your garage expanded? Towards the house? It's pretty unusual to have a structure built that close to the property line post ~1940

You need to get a survey done to figure out where your property line is. I'd then build a fence along the property line to fence the guy with the absurd lot out of your life forever.

Building a locked 10' gate/door on both sides of your garage-alley thing is probably not a bad idea either. Get a motion camera installed and security light and be done with it, that's an easy fix

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I know in somerville that similar situations seemed to have a gate at *both* ends of the little alley. I always wondered why, but I guess exactly for this sort of reason. So that you're not just completely ceding the area to the other landowner.

Always seems silly to sort of fight over small little areas like this, but everyone's points about "who knows who will move in next and what they will try to pull" are completely valid.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That "alley" between the garages is only about 4 feet wide, which is why I really don't understand the significant difference it makes if the property line is 2 foot 8 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage, vs 2 foot 6 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage vs 1 foot 10 from my garage and 2 foot 2 from their garage. The space is so narrow that no matter where the actual property line is, even if it was directly in the middle between the two structures, it would create a space that's impossible for either of us to physically move through. So building a fence on the lot line, no matter where precisely it is there isn't an option.

The original garage was built close to the east property line, and the expansion towards the house in the 70s. The neighbors and I are in the process of having these conversations, so I'm asking here at the very beginning to make sure I'm asking them the right questions and asking for them to do the right things. I think they might be getting a survey done anyways, since like I said they mentioned not knowing exactly where the rear lot line is for them.

I don't want to come off as a pain in the rear end who refuses to cooperate with them, but I also don't want them to just walk all over me. I think if nothing else this has given me enough info when I talk to them to say that I'm worried about them enclosing part of my property and what that would do or either of us when one of us tries to sell at some point in the future, so that's reasonable. And to that point, if they're not planning on doing a survey, they really should before they do anything, to protect both of us.

My property is as secure as it can be, my entire backyard is enclosed by a fence, there's nowhere else I could build a fence all on my own. My fence is 6 foot tall all around, which is what I imagine there's would be as well. And my assumption is that any gate between our garages would be that tall as well, so I'm not worried about someone scaling the fence. Putting some motion lights in that space is probably a good idea regardless, that wouldn't be super difficult for me to do.

That screenshot makes it look like "woods" but it's not woods, we're in the heart of the city. They've got trees around their property, but just north of their house, and just east of their garage is a large parking lot. Our houses are close to a train station as well as a local high school, so there's a lot of foot traffic, and people have gotten used to just taking the path of least resistance. So I'm not worried about someone trying to scale a fence to cut through when that's going to be much harder than just walking 20 extra feet down the sidewalk to get to the train station via the parking lot.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

That "alley" between the garages is only about 4 feet wide, which is why I really don't understand the significant difference it makes if the property line is 2 foot 8 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage, vs 2 foot 6 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage vs 1 foot 10 from my garage and 2 foot 2 from their garage.

Well because no one agrees with the original proposed solution which doesn't protect your property. Everyone is telling you to find your line and protect your backyard.

You're right, if you do the original plan none of it matters and you get all the risks also brought up be multiple people here. If you've talked yourself into that risk then there you go.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, we're on the same page then. Good to know that my instinct was right that having them enclose a part of my property could cause problems.

Keeping all that in mind, I feel like I should ask about our garages as well. They're less than 4 feet apart, and who knows where exactly the property line between them is. But regardless, the space is so narrow that building a fence on the line would effectively prevent both of us from even moving through there in any way. So, a picture:

First of all, yes our lots our pretty weird. I'm the house/garage with the black roof, which is a corner lot. The front street is just clipped off to the left of the picture, and the cross street is at the bottom of the picture. Their lot wraps around mine, with their house and garage having the biege/tan roof. For reference/curiosity, the circled yellow part is where the original fence question is happening.

The green line is where we'd both like there to be a locked gate between our garages, that we would share access to. The blue line is their door into their garage. The red line is where we could safely build a gate that doesn't enclose any of my property in their fence. However we've found people sleeping or doing drugs in that space between the red and green line, so both we really want that part blocked off. And I suspect that if we put up a gate at the red line, people would be more likely to hang out there, as it would then be a dead-end rather than a through route from the street to the parking lots above and to the right of the picture. I don't use that space for any regular access, I would only need it for maintenance to my garage. Also the back of my garage would be the barrier for most of that side of the property, as putting a fence up with 6-12 inches of space between the fence and my garage would be insane, and it's a pretty common feature in the city to have garages built up to the lot-line and comprise part of a "fence".

If it were me I'd want shared gates on both the red and green lines.

But you really need to have a survey, just to know where the property line actually is. If you don't actually know where the property line is beyond "that's what they said" you don't actually know your fence is a shared fence, among other things. In my area a lot of fencing contractors won't even start unless you have a plat of survey.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think what the thread is saying is something like this: put fences at the purple, green and blue red lines

Your neighbor has created a problem for themselves by not protecting their property. You haven't fully protected your property, which is that purple line (assuming that's roughly where the property line is). You should probably close off the alleyway because eventually someone's gonna OD in there or some crime and it's going to become a problem. How your neighbor chooses to fence off their property isn't your problem.

Edit: If I were you, I'd fence in your driveway while you're at it, and put in some sort of gate for vehicular access. That would make your poo poo a lot more secure and probably make people a whole lot less likely to gently caress with your poo poo than theirs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 5, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Edit: If I were you, I'd fence in your driveway while you're at it, and put in some sort of gate for vehicular access. That would make your poo poo a lot more secure and probably make people a whole lot less likely to gently caress with your poo poo than theirs

If I found people shooting up next to my garage I'd fence the whole lot in. It doesn't need to be a ten foot security fence, even a 4 foot chain link will be enough to discourage most people who are just looking for a place to crash.

FISHMANPET posted:

That "alley" between the garages is only about 4 feet wide, which is why I really don't understand the significant difference it makes if the property line is 2 foot 8 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage, vs 2 foot 6 from my garage and 1 foot 4 from their garage vs 1 foot 10 from my garage and 2 foot 2 from their garage.

It matters because for all your know the property line could be six inches inside your garage, or six inches inside theirs, etc. Maybe your garage was built right up to the lot line. Maybe theirs was. If someone kicks in your fence on the area between the garages, who's responsibility is it to repair and replace it? Who has the keys? Who has the legal right to change the locks? How does having shared responsibility for maintaining the fence factor into the liability on your homeowner's if they don't get a fix done and some third party injures themselves in there?

poo poo, how about if someone breaks into their old favorite shooting up spot and OD's or just cuts themselves badly on a piece of scrap wood or some other debris while they're hosed up? Did they get injured on your property or the neighbors? Because believe me, that's a question the insurance companies are going to want a very concrete answer to.

There are a bunch of solutions to this issue. Some of them involve both you and your neighbor, some of them are things you can do on your own. But all of them require certainty about what land is actually yours.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hadlock posted:

I think what the thread is saying is something like this: put fences at the purple, green and blue red lines

Your neighbor has created a problem for themselves by not protecting their property. You haven't fully protected your property, which is that purple line (assuming that's roughly where the property line is). You should probably close off the alleyway because eventually someone's gonna OD in there or some crime and it's going to become a problem. How your neighbor chooses to fence off their property isn't your problem.

Building a fence at the purple line would be absolutely insane, I'm not going to build a fence that's 2-3 feet away from my house for the entire stretch just as a middle finger to the neighbors. It would either be a 6 foot tall fence that would be an enormous pain in the rear end to build and a huge middle finger to the neighbors, or some short 3 foot chain link fence (I've seen those in houses around the neighborhood) that wouldn't actually provide physical security to the property on that side.
Building a fence around my driveway would... also be insane, and is not something I've seen anywhere in the city. And I can't close off the alleway myself, because of my current assumption that I don't own all of it, which is the actual thing I'm asking about here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

And I can't close off the alleway myself, because of my current assumption that I don't own all of it, which is the actual thing I'm asking about here.

If only there were a way to know for sure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

And I can't close off the alleway myself, because of my current assumption that I don't own all of it, which is the actual thing I'm asking about here.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It matters because for all your know the property line could be six inches inside your garage, or six inches inside theirs, etc.

This is an assumption you need to turn into a certainty before you proceed with anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah get a survey figure out your property lines and then figure out if you're going to have to net the cost of walling off the alley, or split it

Get a survey to figure out where your side yard line is. You could cede your side yard to the neighbor but that seems like a bad idea. If you don't cede your side yard they're gonna build the fence 3' from your house and now the druggies are just going to start shooting up in the new alley which your house is part of

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We all seem to be falling into the goon trap of "assume the worst possible option when something isn't explicitly stated." We're just starting to talk about this with the neighbors. No decisions are being set into stone. I'll ask them what their plans are for doing a survey, and go from there. If they're planning on getting a survey done already great, and it doesn't sound like an unreasonable thing to ask them to do regardless.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh man I should post pictures of the fence situation at my place that I will eventually need to talk to my neighbor about.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Protect ya neckproperty

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

... now the druggies are just going to start shooting up in the new alley which your house is part of

Hah, this was exactly my thought when I saw the plan to do this fence from house to house..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FISHMANPET posted:

Install outward-opening gates at each end along with the floodlights & blasting Nickelback.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

wait was i supposed to change my hard-wired dishwasher out for an outlet when i replaced it?

because i stripped the power cable, put a metal junction box back there with 3 wire nuts and some stress relief clamps and called it a day

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That’s fine. I hard-wired the Bosch; they sell a kit for it, too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

wait was i supposed to change my hard-wired dishwasher out for an outlet when i replaced it?

because i stripped the power cable, put a metal junction box back there with 3 wire nuts and some stress relief clamps and called it a day

The modern preference is GFCI outlet but as long as it's on a GFCI protected circuit and there's a junction box you're to code I believe.

With the GFCI requirements, outlets are easier and simpler for installers and builders so that's why they do it that way now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PainterofCrap posted:

That’s fine. I hard-wired the Bosch; they sell a kit for it, too.

yeah this was to replace the bosch kit that arced and melted. they are on my poo poo list.

SpartanIvy posted:

The modern preference is GFCI outlet but as long as it's on a GFCI protected circuit and there's a junction box you're to code I believe.

With the GFCI requirements, outlets are easier and simpler for installers and builders so that's why they do it that way now.

well, the nearest outlet is GFCI, so it's _probably_ fine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

well, the nearest outlet is GFCI, so it's _probably_ fine.

I believe the modern code is for it to be on a dedicated circuit so for a modern build a GFCI outlet and plugged dishwasher is cheaper than GFCI breaker and hardwired dishwasher.

In practice, as long as it's GFCI protected you're probably fine. I have neither a dishwasher or disposal in my house currently but I'll probably put them on the same circuit when I do because I'm running out of breaker slots.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

We all seem to be falling into the goon trap of "assume the worst possible option when something isn't explicitly stated." We're just starting to talk about this with the neighbors. No decisions are being set into stone. I'll ask them what their plans are for doing a survey, and go from there. If they're planning on getting a survey done already great, and it doesn't sound like an unreasonable thing to ask them to do regardless.

Everyone is telling you to get a survey so that you won't have to make any assumptions, if your neighbors plan on giving you a copy then that's cool

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your in a subdivision surveys are cheap problem solvers, other surveys are inexpensive problem solvers. In my state it take a city council vote to change a subdivision property line but I would get on to prevent dumb neighbors from being angry

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions for outdoor patio furniture? Looking for a table and chairs that can fit at least 8, is sturdy and won't die in 5 years. Willing to spend a bit to not have to buy again in 5 or 10 years. We live in the bay area, so wet winters but no snow or real freezes, and hot summers.

Found this, but hard to know if it will last.

https://www.livingspaces.com/departments/outdoor/furniture/dining/sets?seating_capacity=8+Seat

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions for outdoor patio furniture? Looking for a table and chairs that can fit at least 8, is sturdy and won't die in 5 years. Willing to spend a bit to not have to buy again in 5 or 10 years. We live in the bay area, so wet winters but no snow or real freezes, and hot summers.

Found this, but hard to know if it will last.

https://www.livingspaces.com/departments/outdoor/furniture/dining/sets?seating_capacity=8+Seat

Based on the older edition of this article (https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-patio-furniture/) I bought and have been happy with the IKEA Applaro. Apparently that's now out of production, but I would trust whatever they recommend now to a similar level of satisfaction.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would check out an outdoor patio furniture store, personally. It's hard to tell where the online guys are going to cut corners

I had no idea Ikea sells patio furniture, or rather, forgot, I'll have to look at that, we're going to be in the market for that soonish. Ikea makes good stuff so long as you're not buying their poverty tier college dorm room stuff

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Polywood or similar is the poo poo and should last forever, albeit expensive. I think they have some bigger sets like that. I have a couple of andirondacks and a little table that I love, just take them in the yard and pressure wash them occasionally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Final Blog Entry posted:

Polywood or similar is the poo poo and should last forever, albeit expensive. I think they have some bigger sets like that. I have a couple of andirondacks and a little table that I love, just take them in the yard and pressure wash them occasionally.

Climate/shade dependent and all, but that plastic wood stuff gets scalding hot. A trex deck with polywood furniture would be absolutely unusable for the better part of the afternoon here.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Ah fair point, mine are on a covered patio

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Comedy option: there was a company in Cherry Hill, NJ, called Florida Pipe that built outdoor beach - shore house deck furniture out of Schedule 40 PVC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

groverhouse.jpg