Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That would be Jude Doyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I would describe the episode as one of the best of theirs that I've listened to, but I'd also generally put CTH as pretty far down the list in general

It's not the episode that's boring. I mean Clarence Thomas himself is uninteresting. It's just a bunch of words to end up at "acquire the bag", anybody whose been on the internet runs into some variation of Clarence Thomas all the time lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kunster posted:

That would be Jude Doyle.

Danke

Homeless Friend posted:

It's not the episode that's boring. I mean Clarence Thomas himself is uninteresting. It's just a bunch of words to end up at "acquire the bag", anybody whose been on the internet runs into some variation of Clarence Thomas all the time lol

I'll agree to disagree in this case because I went in thinking that and came out the other end genuinely intrigued

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

Yeah but they're posters. None of them have held a position for of high office for the past thirty two years in the most powerful empire thats ever existed. Thats why its interesting. Theres a lot to dig into there and the interview talks about that.

Sassbot Alpha
Sep 2, 2011
Fallen Rib

I would describe the episode as one of the best of theirs that I've listened to, but I'd also generally put CTH as pretty far down the list in general

Does anyone remember offhand who the lib podcaster was or what the podcast she had was that Adam shared a ride with?

It was someone called Sarah Lerner. Here's the tweet
https://archive.vn/Yis31

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Does anyone remember offhand who the lib podcaster was or what the podcast she had was that Adam shared a ride with?

sarah lerner

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was Sarah Lerner, and the story was on YouTube as Adam's Lyft story or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0ONogCmDg&t=5s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I earnestly mixed Taintrunner's story with that. Sorry about that, ClassActionFursuit.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

hey its funny having a hotep crank ayatollah with an insane wife.

That's not what a hotep is lol.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

Some of the reasoning doesn't track for me. For example, this:

“Whatever the inclination of slave owners, their actual behavior was limited by the crop they were growing and this in turn was limited by the climate and soil where they were. The land most suitable for cotton production became the land where plantation slavery was most concentrated. In turn, the attitudes and ideologies of this region of slave-driving were those providing the strongest justification for slavery in terms of the most degraded picture of the Negro race. Those parts of the South least adaptable, by climate and soil, to plantation slave crops were those in which racism did not achieve the same degree of fervor in word and deed.”

Generally aligns with recent scholarship on the political economy of slavery and the antebellum sociopolitical system. Makes sense, right? Chattel slavery and the racial hierarchy that accompanies it were correlated with land that could support cash crop plantations. It also explains why West Virginia (hills, rocks) was Unionist, as well as East Tennessee and North Carolina. It's an argument that finds support from Marxist historians of the American Civil War too, pretty straightforward material cause of a social order.

So, how does he (Sowell, Thomas or Robin I suppose) go from there to:

“This notion—that capitalism was the one power that could bring the white slaveholder to heel, that the economy was the one force that the white man could not control, that the market was the one institution to which the white man would have to yield—is a through line of Race and Economics. For Thomas, it was a lifeline. ”?

The slaveholders dealt with running out of alluvial lands by starting the American Civil War, once westward expansion was blocked. I'm not sure how this is an argument that King Cotton was a force for black liberation. Am I missing something?

The Market did not cause slaveholders to yield, The Market drove chattel slavery.

I don't think you really have to try to understand the mind of reactionary like this, there are going to be plenty of contradictions. For example there were plenty of reactionaries in the black nationalism space, here's what CLR James had to say about Marcus Garvey and the Garveyists.

quote:

Articles in every newspaper and editorials on Garvey have borne witness to the great impression which this extraordinary man made on American life in less than ten years stay in this country. The revolutionary movement is woodenly obtuse to the immense significance of his career. Thereby it shows itself still dominated by the powerful prejudice which belittles or ignores all action and achievements by Negroes. Garvey landed in America some time during the war and agitated for his organization, the UNIA, the Universal Negro Improvement Association. He had a fantastic program of Back to Africa, fantastic, because Britain, France, and Germany would not fight wars for Africa and then hand it over to Garvey. It is doubtful whether he believed it himself. It is possible that when he began he took the idea seriously, but before long he must have become convinced of its impracticality. But Garvey’s ideas are not important.

The first thing to note is that he burst into prominence in the post-war period, when revolution was raging in Europe and the workers were on the move everywhere. The Negro masses felt the stir of the period, and it was that which made Garvey. The next great movement of the American working class was the pro-Roosevelt movement in 1936. It swung hundreds of thousands of Negro votes from the Republican to the Democratic Party. The third great movement of the American workers was the CIO. It swept hundreds of thousands of Negroes into unions for the first time. In every great step forward of the American masses since the war, the Negroes have played their part. Yet the biggest response was to Garvey.

Why? Garvey was a reactionary. He used fierce words but he was opposed to the labor movement and counseled subservience to bosses. One reason for his success was that his movement was strictly a class movement. He appealed to the black Negroes against the Mulattoes. Thus at one strike he excluded the Negro middle class which is very largely of mixed blood. He deliberately aimed at the poorest, most down-trodden and humiliated Negroes. The millions who followed him, the devotion and the money they contributed, show where we can find the deepest strength of the working class movement, the coiled springs of power which lie there waiting for the party which can unloose them. Garvey, however, was a race fanatic. His appeal was to black against white. He wanted purity of race. A great part of his propaganda was based on the past achievements of blacks, their present misery, their future greatness.

With that disregard of facts which characterize the born demagogue, he proclaimed there were 400 million Negroes in the world, when there are certainly not half as many. Who does all this remind us of? Who but Adolph Hitler? The similarity between the two movements does not end there. The Negroes were too few in America for Garvey to give them excitement by means of baiting whites as Hitler baited the Jews. But his program had a nebulousness similar to the the Nazi program. Was this the reason that long before Hitler, he anticipated the Nazi leader in his emphasis on uniforms, parades, military guards, in short, the dramatic and the spectacular? Stupid people saw in all this merely the antics of backward Negroes. Recent events should give them an opportunity to revise their judgements. Everything that Hitler was to do afterwards in the way of psychological appeal, Garvey was doing in 1921 His array of baronets, etc., with himself as Emperor of Africa was a hangover from his early life in the West Indies.

In one important respect, the Garvey movement was the most remarkable political mass movement that America has ever seen. Note that Garvey promised the Negroes nothing and at the same time everything. His organization was not a trade union which offered higher wages, nor was it a political party which could offer prospects of realizing a program. All he did was to speak of Africa, and near the end of his career he bought one or two leaky ships which made one or two streaky voyages. Yet so deep was the sense of wrong and humiliation among the Negroes and so high did he lift them up that they gave him all that they did, year after year, expecting Garvey to perform some miracle. No revolution is ever made except when the masses have reached this pitch of exaltation, when they see a vision of a new society. That is what Garvey gave them.

Personally, Garvey was one of the great orators of his time. Ill-educated, but with the rhythms of Shakespeare and the Bible in his head, he was a master of rhetoric and invective, capable of great emotional appeals and dramatic intensity. In his late years he could hold English crowds spellbound in Hyde Park while he told them that God would save black Ethiopia because Simon the Cyrenian, a black man, helped Jesus on the way to Calvary. As the great poet says, it ain’t what you say, it’s the way that you say it. Yet this remarkable movement and the remarkable figure who led it remain unstudied by American Marxists.

Every two-cent revolutionary who has talked to Negroes in cafeterias and therefore knows the Negro question, points out Garvey’s errors and absurdities and thinks that thereby a contribution has been made to knowledge. More than in all the theses of the Comintern, a basis for the building of a real mass movement among the Negroes lies in a thorough study of this first great eruption of the Negro people.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Glenn sucks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

lol come on in what sense is he uninteresting? sure you can boil it down to a pithy summation but a former black separatist turned radical conservative married to insane white woman and who is one of the most powerful people in the country is p interesting imo, even if it does all come down to simple power/money hunger. esp since robin was one of the few to attempt a thorough biography and documenting his intellectual history before all this harlan crowe poo poo

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the Clarence Thomas life story is pretty relatable at time outside the typical boiler plate conservative shi,t sounds like he had almost the correct opinion after meeting the white liberal for the first time

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Listening to the end of the latest 5-4 and wow can't believe Law Boy and I have something in common (neither of us has ever see a Fast & Furious movie)

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

C-Euro posted:

Listening to the end of the latest 5-4 and wow can't believe Law Boy and I have something in common (neither of us has ever see a Fast & Furious movie)

1 3 5 7 skip the rest

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1666177442132656128

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Kind of bummed if Amber goes down the terf route tbh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm parsing that as lady in the sense of propriety rather than strictly gender tbh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

She has a bit of Matt Tiabbi brain so this tracks.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm parsing that as lady in the sense of propriety rather than strictly gender tbh

yeah

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

she'll explain this fully in her upcoming documentary, "What is a Lady?"

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

mcmagic posted:

She has a bit of Matt Tiabbi brain so this tracks.

Moron

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

yeah that's Amber's affected folksiness where she tries to pretend that she's still from the holler and not 100% a New York cocaine person.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
TERFs don't know how to do subtle, if it was that she'd be on glinners podcast by now

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm sorry but if you dont find "guy who went so hard into black radicalism he became the champion of racist white evangelicals but also it's probably a troll but also he is the most powerful person in the entire US legal system" inherently funny then how have you ever enjoyed literally any episode of CTH

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Clarence Thomas has to be one of the top 10 or so most effective evil dooers of the last 100 years.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i thought Clarence Thomas was a Dem guy who was taking bribes from some arch conservative before listening to the last cth, but i dont give a gently caress about the SCOTUS so i never paid attention to whose who cause its dumb.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Clarence Thomas has to be one of the top 10 or so most effective evil dooers of the last 100 years.

post the list

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTitJhsYpnc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Popy posted:

i thought Clarence Thomas was a Dem guy who was taking bribes from some arch conservative before listening to the last cth, but i dont give a gently caress about the SCOTUS so i never paid attention to whose who cause its dumb.

If you’re American then this is about the biggest wtf possible

If not I don’t blame you for not following our archaic elder council of noble sages

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
My understanding was that Clarence Thomas is the David Spade to Antonin Scalia's Chris Farley

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think the funnier thing about the court is that everyone is doing it, and we've known about it for quite a while now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/27/us/politics/scalia-led-court-in-taking-trips-funded-by-private-sponsors.html

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

If you’re American then this is about the biggest wtf possible

If not I don’t blame you for not following our archaic elder council of noble sages

why spend time thinking about something when i have zero even negative power of it

if theres one thing i agree with Mr. Thomas its his pessimism

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sorry that ur friend taibbi sucks rear end

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Popy posted:

why spend time thinking about something when i have zero even negative power of it

why listen to a politics podcast then

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Popy posted:

if theres one thing i agree with Mr. Thomas its his pessimism

You're posting on a forum about podcasts, I can't think of anything less impactful to the world and yet here we all are, reading your post

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
poo poo, I wasted all my praxis spoons reading a worthless post. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to change the world.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Are they moving to a new platform or are they sticking to the same model that season 3 had?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Popy posted:

i agree and that's why i don't consume or discuss any films, music, television or videogames

podcasts of course are different, since i can send the hosts advice with confidence that theyll take it under advisement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I was going to bring about true communism but then I got high