Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Once this is out they can finally focus on Skyrim 2.

The_White_Crane posted:

The fundamental problem with the gunplay in FO4 is that your guns don't have enough effect on the enemies, both in that they don't react much to being shot in the face and they also don't take very much damage from being shot in the face.
And it's tricky, because if you up the amount of damage the player deals sufficiently to make the guns feel satisfyingly deadly, you run into real balance problems, which is why most of the ~*~REALISTIC DAMAGE~*~ mods for Fallout play like poo poo.

Still a huge improvement over FO3's. I hope we can dress up in goofy outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought the gunplay in FO4 was fine though I do hope for some space magic as an option too.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was thinking about all the issues Fallout 76 had with physical rewards, like switching out stuff for lovely version without telling anyone, dangerous levels of mold and various other health hazards. So now I'm wondering, how will Starfield top this in terms of physical rewards?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So now I'm wondering, how will Starfield top this in terms of physical rewards?

Has any publisher managed to kill anyone via physical rewards spreading tetanus. Although honestly that seems more an EA type thing.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I need some kind of wireless HDMI solution to get my PC with Steam on it running on my TV via Big Picture or something. I have no real way to run an HDMI cable between the two and I'm not buying an Xbox for this one game. And I want to play it on a sofa with a controller.

Any ideas?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

BitBasher posted:

I need some kind of wireless HDMI solution to get my PC with Steam on it running on my TV via Big Picture or something. I have no real way to run an HDMI cable between the two and I'm not buying an Xbox for this one game. And I want to play it on a sofa with a controller.

Any ideas?

There's realistically three ways you can handle this:

1. Buy some expensive hardware (I've never actually tried this so I dunno what you could get or how much it'd cost)

2. Get a cheap PC, Fire Stick, Android box, or something similar, hook it up to your TV, and install Moonlight on it, then install Sunshine on the PC that's running Steam. As long as they're on the same network, it should be pretty automatic and Sunshine/Moonlight will work with Steam Big Picture/Steam Link mode (this is my current setup), with the added bonus of it also being able to support non-Steam games via a little tweaking and setup (such as Ubisoft, EGS, and so on), and there's apps you can install that will import all the games from the various game store apps you have so you don't gave to fart around switching between game stores manually. If your controller is Bluetooth you can pair it up to use it wirelessly, otherwise you might have to get a USB hub to make sure you have enough ports (depending on what you go with)

3. If your TV is a Samsung TV, check and see if it supports installing the Steam Link app (and to see if your TV also supports adding Bluetooth or devices with wireless dongles, if applicable)

The latter two do almost require a wired network to get the best out of them, but it's not 100% absolutely necessary. I've played games on my phone wirelessly via Moonlight without too many issues.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Stream to a device with Steam Link attached to/running on your TV, or stream it via Sunshine/Moonlight?

E:f,b

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was thinking about all the issues Fallout 76 had with physical rewards, like switching out stuff for lovely version without telling anyone, dangerous levels of mold and various other health hazards. So now I'm wondering, how will Starfield top this in terms of physical rewards?

A space rock necklace that's somehow a slug of pure plutonium

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

we loving won starbros

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks great. I’m not sold on the combat/gunplay. Space fighting looks fun. The planet landing bit sounds a bit like No Man’s Sky.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HOTAS? HOSAS? *bangs table*

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Psychic power stuff teased.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feeling very positive about Starfield. I am really hyped for its release.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hard to describe how much of that game I'm going to play and probably never do like the fifth main story mission (unless I have to I guess).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anno posted:

Hard to describe how much of that game I'm going to play and probably never do like the fifth main story mission (unless I have to I guess).

The game will start with 333 planets to explore but you will have to play the story to unlock the last 667.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I said come in! posted:

Feeling very positive about Starfield. I am really hyped for its release.

Hell yeah! Starfield looks like a very promising game from where I’m standing. People will point to Bethesda Hank but eh.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Even the gunplay looks fun. Exceeded my expectations on every level.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

With Baldur's Gate 3 on Aug 31st, Starfield on Sept 6th, and the Cyberpunk 2077 DLC on Sept. 26th, it's going to be expensive on socks (to poop in).

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh my god he actually did "You see that moon? You can go there!" in the loving presentation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

STARFIELD HAS A FIVE DAY EARLY ACCESS FOR THE DELUXE EDITION

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh my god he actually did "You see that moon? You can go there!" in the loving presentation.

They literally ported the Adoring Fan over. Why would that even be a perk? Is there an arena fight tournament somewhere in the traits menu?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need the starfield controller to be up for pre-order already.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I said come in! posted:

I need the starfield controller to be up for pre-order already.

I need the game for preorder already. I might take half that week off when the game comes out, it really does look awesome.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

theres no way one of those big aliens doesnt catapult us into the stratosphere by accident

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fartknocker posted:

I need the game for preorder already. I might take half that week off when the game comes out, it really does look awesome.

pre-order is up on Steam, the deluxe edition gives 5 days early access.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I said come in! posted:

pre-order is up on Steam, the deluxe edition gives 5 days early access.

yeah as I posted that it went live lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I said come in! posted:

STARFIELD HAS A FIVE DAY EARLY ACCESS FOR THE DELUXE EDITION

This is how they get you before the reviews are out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fartknocker posted:

yeah as I posted that it went live lol

We are just really excited! This is a dream come true RPG for me, so I am going to be pretty unhinged in this thread for the next few months. Like seriously, if you asked me to do a dreams.txt document of an RPG, it would be this loving game lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ymgve posted:

This is how they get you before the reviews are out

You're drat loving right it is, I am well aware of how manipulative this tactic is and I am going to fall for it anyways. If Microsoft is confident though, reviews will be out before early access drops.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Game looks like it will get 100 hours from me, and another 900 hours once modding tools are out.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cardboard Fox posted:

Game looks like it will get 100 hours from me, and another 900 hours once modding tools are out.

See that alien? You can gently caress it with mods

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no sign of garfield anywhere, major disappointment

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I crave all the pointless poo poo like a place to display your weapons. I'm going to make a table just for sandwiches also.

There's a weird disconnect between the grandiose 2001/Star Trek: The Motion Picture highbrow spectacle and the punching Space Punk in the dick, but I think I'm here for it.

Habitat building and ship modding is so very much what I've always wanted.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Game looks amazing. I’m still skeptical that the planet exploration won’t get old pretty fast, but the base gameplay looks solid. I can’t wait.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly I’m most excited about the amazing bugs this game’s complexity will introduce.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say, having a large, customizable ship that you can walk around in and see the crew doing their thing in is very much my poo poo. Doubly so since boarding appears to be a thing.

I've only managed to catch part of the presentation on the side, have they said much yet when it comes to something like a central hook? Like Oblivion with its gates, Skyrim with the Dragons, some sort of core unifying story element and perhaps mechanic?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space Jam posted:

Game looks amazing. I’m still skeptical that the planet exploration won’t get old pretty fast, but the base gameplay looks solid. I can’t wait.

I would like to know if there is procedural generated missions. Was that covered and I missed it?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Perestroika posted:

I gotta say, having a large, customizable ship that you can walk around in and see the crew doing their thing in is very much my poo poo. Doubly so since boarding appears to be a thing.

I've only managed to catch part of the presentation on the side, have they said much yet when it comes to something like a central hook? Like Oblivion with its gates, Skyrim with the Dragons, some sort of core unifying story element and perhaps mechanic?

Not only boarding ships you disable but taking them to add to your "fleet". I'm taking over this backwater galaxy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Perestroika posted:

It felt like someone at Bethesda is aware of Star Citizen and had an axe to grind. I am here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Being able to beat the brakes off of people and steal their sandwiches might make this a GOTY contender alongside Tears of the Kingdom.