Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fungah! posted:

caught up on vinland saga anime btw, epic series. never read the manga but its super depressing in a cool way, slow burn wth lots of discussion of war and slavery and god and then all of a sudden like its back to some of the wildest kills ive seen in anime. theres been a couple parts that are gonna stick with me a while, main one bein the priest in s1 talking about love and how the only true love is death because its the only time you give unconditionally to everyone and th big turning point episode in s2. big norsehead too and they get a lot of th little details right, it feels like an actual saga instead of just n anime called vinland saga if that makes sense. kickass series, big recommend

glad to hear you really like it, it's one of my favorite series. slightly embarrassing to say but I think about some moments in it a lot, e.g. "in this world you have no enemies / I have no enemies"

you should read the manga at some point because yukimura sometimes goes into those little details in the afterwords, you'll probably like them a lot. I'm not the biggest norsehead myself but my limited knowledge of it + sagas made me enjoy them. though my biggest disappointment with the manga is that it glosses over one of my favorite pieces of history but I absolutely am not saying anything about it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Fungah! posted:

caught up on vinland saga anime btw, epic series. never read the manga but its super depressing in a cool way, slow burn wth lots of discussion of war and slavery and god and then all of a sudden like its back to some of the wildest kills ive seen in anime. theres been a couple parts that are gonna stick with me a while, main one bein the priest in s1 talking about love and how the only true love is death because its the only time you give unconditionally to everyone and th big turning point episode in s2. big norsehead too and they get a lot of th little details right, it feels like an actual saga instead of just n anime called vinland saga if that makes sense. kickass series, big recommend

It is without a doubt in my mind one of thr best mangas I have ever read. Please seek it out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

great one piece this week, and oda's taking a month off for eye surgery. good luck dude

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

great one piece this week, and oda's taking a month off for eye surgery. good luck dude

he ABSOLUTELY needs his eyes for work.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
incredible theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPlqxU1zmb4

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally finished Book of the New Sun after stalling out for a while, that owned. Definitely gonna keep going with Urth/Long Sun/Short Sun and maybe some of his short stories.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Martman posted:

Finally finished Book of the New Sun after stalling out for a while, that owned. Definitely gonna keep going with Urth/Long Sun/Short Sun and maybe some of his short stories.

currently torn between this and blood meridian for my next book. extremely difficuly choice and def needs multiple days of intense contemplation

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

vinland saga rules. binged the manga for weeks, its incredible work. drawing quality on par w the greatest

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I've been reading war and peace for about 6 weeks now. Insanely good.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

finished up Blackadder Goes Forth with the homies tonight and uhhhh wow that ending was unexpected. absolutely GOAT'd, can't wait to watch more of the series

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

finished up Blackadder Goes Forth with the homies tonight and uhhhh wow that ending was unexpected. absolutely GOAT'd, can't wait to watch more of the series

nice av

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just started reading Don Quixote for the first time. Has me lol'ing like every other paragraph

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ty, figured it was about time since PP stopped being me

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

I've been reading war and peace for about 6 weeks now. Insanely good.

Hard to believe Tolstoy originally wanted to call it War: What is it good for.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

workshopping this post but heres where its at so far
Just started watching Red Dwarf! Holy jooling quim (youll get the reference when you watch) what a chonking wheezer (gotta look up whatever tf they say for poo poo)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

Just started watching Red Dwarf! Holy jooling quim (youll get the reference when you watch) what a chonking wheezer (gotta look up whatever tf they say for poo poo)

/me raises my cuppa & nods

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

currently torn between this and blood meridian for my next book. extremely difficuly choice and def needs multiple days of intense contemplation

was debating the same with new sun book 3 and 4 or blood meridian since a movie is in the works now? decided to do summer of Kafka and get through all his major works before moving on tho, starting with the trial

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*closing my eyes and typing summer of zelda effortlessly* summer of kafka

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nutmeg posted:

was debating the same with new sun book 3 and 4 or blood meridian since a movie is in the works now? decided to do summer of Kafka and get through all his major works before moving on tho, starting with the trial

the trial is the only kafka ive read but its extremely amusing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Trial is really good. The Castle is, uh, promising, but literally stops halfway through and is clearly unpolished before that too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Watched Dark City last night. Extremely silly but fun film with loving incredible atmosphere and visuals. I feel so bad for them that The Matrix came out the following year lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kafka ftw

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

gently caress yeah, when you said you were starting trigun my first thought was legato bluesummer

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/xanalter/status/1668700279481532417?s=46

🫡

wowee thanks again Dendy

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

drat...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

loving hell RIP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RIP

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gently caress that sucks

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

fail...

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

gently caress. RIP

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

aw gently caress

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
corm

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

RIP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP to a real one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

up to Ford's administration in Invisible Bridge and the burgeoning Christian right wing anti-schooling campaigns. I cant tell if it's a matter of just style falling into a pattern after 2000 pages of this work but this book feels a little more like a breakneck montage of random events. Maybe it's covering a longer time period than nixonland or maybe there was just a lot more cultural and political splintering going on so more has to be covered. It's still awesome but harder than ever to keep track of all the little threads

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

spiderverse 2 was great. amazing a comic book movie can be really fun if you have stunning art and a good story, disney should give either of those a try

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009