Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

So what I'm seeing here is a real growth opportunity for cheap, effective anti-scrying methodologies and some way to deal with or make friends with Those Outside so that we can easily construct abundant cheap housing. Our real bottleneck is going to be wizards. Maybe it's time we start a system of schools...

There was that game about a fantasy world experiencing a magic crystal-internet information revolution, with the premise that the players would be fantasypunk hackers and I assume, Fight the Power. Didn't seem to be too well received though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

There was that game about a fantasy world experiencing a magic crystal-internet information revolution, with the premise that the players would be fantasypunk hackers and I assume, Fight the Power. Didn't seem to be too well received though?

Isn’t that another one by the SIGMATA guy?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kai Tave posted:

Most of my knowledge of Catalyst's dysfunction as a company centers around things like embezzlement, stiffing freelancers, and poor management, not so much bigotry, so this might be an instance where they are the reasonable ones for once.

They generally can only be convinced to give a poo poo about their work for about two weeks per year, one of which is GenCon.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Lumbermouth posted:

Isn’t that another one by the SIGMATA guy?

Yeah, if they're talking about Cryptomancer then it's Sigmata guy, so "fight the power" is actually "fight the power but not in any way that matters, or the authorities find you and wizard nuke your town" because Chad Walker loving sucks.

Lynx Winters fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 5, 2023

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cryptomancer is a game about slavishly observing best practices for encrypted email exchange and public key cryptography designed to teach the importance and means of cryptographic protocols to programmers. It doesn’t let you win against The Man, and if you screw up even once a wizard nukes your town, because those are the constraints cryptosystems operate under: the government will not go away, your cryptosystem will not bring down the government, and if you screw up even once it’s an unrecoverable disaster.

Interesting approach to didactic gaming, kinda boring fantasy TTRPG unless you’re really into managing your public and private keys when passing secret messages along between the player characters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

So it turns out the mods of the big Battletech subreddit were caught out deleting posts related to LGBT and Pride when Catalyst put out a Pride-related anthology, then people started digging up receipts that they've been doing this sort of thing for a while while letting things like Nazi paintjobs on minis slide. The whole subreddit got locked down because of "brigading," they started banning people, then Catalyst went and created a new Official Battletech subreddit in response.

There's a summary of events here. Some mod from the subreddit that kicked this off posted an "official statement" to try and clarify things but it's since been deleted.

somewhat tangential to the issue, but reddit, presumably in preparation for an IPO, has recently revamped its policies for API access. Specifically, the charges that they're going to be asking from people will be far in excess of what would be reasonable to shoulder

the most visible casualty of this is the Apollo app, used as a replacement for the default reddit app on mobile devices, whose operating costs would spike into the millions of dollars given the number of API calls that the app would need in order to work properly

the other large casualty of this app is pushshift, which is used as a tool for advanced searches (or even basic searches) of reddit's posts and comments

I bring this up because it's very difficult, if not impossible, to find deleted and hidden and removed posts without pushshift, and it's possible that uncovering what the battletech mods were doing would have been far more difficult if these tools weren't available (and mods acting in good faith will also have a harder time doing their jobs rooting out bad actors without it)

tying this back to TRPGs, but /r/rpg and /r/dndmemes (among many others) have announced that they're going to be joining in a form of online protest on June 12th against this new reddit policy

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Not just searching for deleted posts but nearly all mods of high-population subreddits use third-party tools for moderation because Reddit’s default tools are dogshit.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all! I launched my TTRPG last year after a long Kickstarter. I'm ready to try and actually push it a bit now. Does anyone have any recommendations for sites/folks I could send review copies to?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Someone on youtube uploaded this pretty recently, it's a news report about dnd from the very early 1980s and shows some people playing DnD (in formal wear, lol) but the game looks both very fun and it's also very nice to see that "uhh whatever minis works" was always a thing, having Not! Darth Vader show up was a nice touch. I liked that despite playing some weird-rear end version of DnD that looks more like a modular tiles dungeon crawler.

What edition of DnD is that, by the way? I have Moldvay Basic and the black "Easy to Master Dungeons and Dragons Game!" but that box is way too small for it.

Honestly. Gaming in formal wear, we should bring it back and uh, make it a thing since this was clearly a bunch of dorks who dressed up nice for their tv interview lol

I think probably that's just a dude with an office job in 1979 england playing at the local game store after work

I couldn't help but notice how the only woman in the video was filmed looking bored, not doing anything in the game, and wasn't interviewed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

I think probably that's just a dude with an office job in 1979 england playing at the local game store after work

I couldn't help but notice how the only woman in the video was filmed looking bored, not doing anything in the game, and wasn't interviewed.

:shrug: She probably was but this news thing is just filler crap in lieu of actual news

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh for sure. I don't know how old you might be, but I was just barely around at the end of that era of newscasting and people who are under like 40 might not realize just how much time was given to The News back then. A given story could stretch on for like five full minutes, and I'm not talking "election coverage" I'm talking "there was a house fire in a big city today". They were also doing a lot less editing, which I would guess was more labor intensive and expensive back then. There was far, far less competition for TV news, particularly I think in the UK which had like... four channels? BBC 1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 went on air in 1982 as Britain's fourth network in the same year it got its first satellite channel. So people would just watch whatever they put on the news, they didn't have much option to flip to something else.

So yeah absolutely just filler content, but also something probably a lot of people saw.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

Oh for sure. I don't know how old you might be, but I was just barely around at the end of that era of newscasting and people who are under like 40 might not realize just how much time was given to The News back then. A given story could stretch on for like five full minutes, and I'm not talking "election coverage" I'm talking "there was a house fire in a big city today". They were also doing a lot less editing, which I would guess was more labor intensive and expensive back then. There was far, far less competition for TV news, particularly I think in the UK which had like... four channels? BBC 1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 went on air in 1982 as Britain's fourth network in the same year it got its first satellite channel. So people would just watch whatever they put on the news, they didn't have much option to flip to something else.

So yeah absolutely just filler content, but also something probably a lot of people saw.

Yeah. Interesting they didnt talk to the lady. I wonder if she declined.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Glazius posted:

So now that this episode is publicly available, anybody want to talk about the system, at least as it was presented to us? I've got some opinions about :

• Rolling For Initiative - yeah, with a d20 and everything. Honestly? Fine for purpose, which is lining people up to take their turn in combat. Combat's the kind of situation where you want to make sure everybody gets a go, and having them take a number is a way to make sure that happens.
  • Noncombat Things - working on a Torchbearer style tempo where there's a minimal number of things you can do at camp and you have to budget between hunting/foraging/scavenging/cooking could be pretty nice, but I'm not 100% sure how locked down this actually was. I think it might overall be better if there was some more generic resource introduced to pad out cooking and crafting failures, like spend X many rations/supplies to make this intended product work.
  • The Stamina System - Stamina worked kind of like your action bar in combat, where you could spend single points to make a significant move or maneuver, or attack, or dodge. Enemies had an amount of Stamina, too. Attacks hit automatically without a dodge roll, and everybody got a chance to preload one dodge roll with bonuses to end out their own turn. This is the thing that sat the least well with me, because having variable per-character action budgets has never really gone well and is a bit of a nightmare to balance. But...
    • actually making good use of your stamina bar is an important strategic part of the game, and part of a lot of enemies' deals is that they're dodgy little guys you can't connect with easily.
    • maybe a little stamina is a good overall idea in terms of a resource you can spend to make contact with dodging enemies, or with a combat move that explicitly focuses on using your evasion or shield and paying stamina in order to get a counterattack?
    • having enemies take their own turns isn't something PbtA is really built for, but enemies could be set up as being nimble or powerful so that a 7-9 in a straight-up fight positions you to get dodged (stamina to connect) or counterattacked
    • similarly, rather than a bonus to the defense roll, Zelda already uses the harm - armor calculation for net harm.

I'm hoping we get to see the whole thing, it seemed like a pretty productive starting point.

A stamina system is an intriguing proposition, but I am a bit concerned that it wouldn't work well with a PbtA type game. There's definitely room to explore that as a resource in a combat-focused game where careful resource planning matters. Actually, the Japanese Dark Souls TRPG rules were recently translated in full and they have a stamina dice system for combat:

quote:

In battle, time progresses in units called “turns”. PCs have 5 dice called “Stamina Dice” which
they roll at the start of a turn and which they spend both to attack (action) and defend (reaction)
during that turn. Stamina dice represent the stamina gauge used in the original DARK SOULS
video games to control a character’s ability to fight & defend themselves.

Each character, whether friend or enemy, will have one action opportunity per turn. At the start
of a turn, characters make an “Initiative Check” roll to decide who acts first.

There’s no strict concept of distance or fine positional relationships in this game’s combat
system. The player whose turn it is can take aim at any opponent regardless of weapon, as long
as their would-be target exists within the “Melee Area” (explained later). Based on the attacker’s
method of attack, the defending character can choose how to react: “guard”, “avoid”, or simply
choosing to accept the attack.

If you spend too many of your stamina dice for the turn on attacks, you won’t have much left
over to react to enemy attacks… playing so dangerously will give you the real thrill of battle!

As far as the inferred rules for this Tears of the Kingdom game... I wonder if the PbtA type format was used primarily because it's fairly "hackable" without accidentally loving up the game math, or if the more permissive communal sharing attitude around the "rights" to the game was a less hairy aspect to engage with than D&D 5e's rules? If there's enough buzz around this, I could see them genericizing the setting and releasing it as some small "one shot" splat on their storefront.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Satire Without Purpose Will Wander In Dark Places is a very long deep dive into Warhammer 40K, it's history and how corporate blandness made it is what it is today.

Chapter (?) titles:

quote:

Incident at Outpost Talavera
The Dark Age of Neoliberalism
Grim darkness becomes Grimdark™
Wads out for the ladies
One man’s hero is another man’s fascist
No politics for me thanks, I’m playing wargames
The grim darkness of the 3rd Millennium
So much for the T’aulerant Left
We need diverse oppressors
Profitable is the mind too small for doubt

I guess ultimately they are going to be bought out by Disney or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comstar posted:

And that just makes me picture Disney looking at the smoking wreck they've made Star Wars into, and maybe selling it back to Lucas or something, and wondering what they're gonna do for sci-fi now, and then some coked up suit glances at his kid's collection and goes "Guys... I have an idea..."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Warhammer's always been a bad parody- if the objects being parodied are things people want to buy in droves, you're not really doing a very good job of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Comstar posted:

Satire Without Purpose Will Wander In Dark Places is a very long deep dive into Warhammer 40K, it's history and how corporate blandness made it is what it is today.

This is well-written and makes for a relatively concise summary of the issue with 40k's "satire." Thanks for posting it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I find it somewhat comforting that when I went to a local warhammer store opening that the people that showed up (aside from the majority of them being white men) were exactly the kind of people that wiki secondaries like Arch and worse seethe about daily. Nearly a third of them were women, a good chunk of them were PoCs, lots of my fellow rainbow mafiosos wearing pride pins and bracelets and everything else and GW's staff were extremely kind and good all day. I saw tons of people be like "oh I'm not sure it seems really daunting and intimidating" and being welcomed with open arms. Guys teaching people how to paint, free of charge, just for fun. Lots of teaching games being played. Even most of the people there were super welcoming, I met friends, exchanged numbers, and I've already played two games with the new people I met there a couple weeks ago.

These fashy losers don't fit in anywhere in the hobby except online, where they get an enormous reach with other losers. They'll do anything to convince you they're the majority but that isn't the case(this is partially the fault of clout-seeking twitter people who feel the need to help boost the reach of these people in the algorithm by reacting to every single braindead tweet these idiots make). Most of them are secondaries, who just play the video games and for a lot of them it's "played", as in, not since the second Dawn of War(2009). Maybe Space Marine (2011). Otherwise it's memes and lore videos to fap to endlessly, no model painting, no games being played, just an endless cottage industry of racists pretending Warhammer is something it's not. Some dude on /tg/ was saying they'd never put Bretonnian characters in WFRP due to the fact that its "no longer pc" to put social classes in games and Brets are all about social classes, at which point someone informed him that "social class" is literally an important mechanic in the game, that people will respond accordingly to you based on your class, that you can ape other classes usually by having nice clothes and expensive accessories etc etc etc and finished his post by asking the dude if he'd ever even read WFRP before and the guy just called his responder a pedophile in response.

They don't care. Being told to gently caress off didn't make them leave. Being told to gently caress off again didn't make them leave, they barely listen to a thing games workshop says or does because they don't engage with the hobby in any way that's real. They do watch a lot of fan lore videos however!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Warhammer--by way of Warcraft ripping them off, I think--is already the default aesthetic style of every lovely fantasy video game in existence, and I want it to go away forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

somewhat tangential to the issue, but reddit, presumably in preparation for an IPO, has recently revamped its policies for API access. Specifically, the charges that they're going to be asking from people will be far in excess of what would be reasonable to shoulder
Not only is their site unnavigable without third-party tools, they want to charge these third parties money for the privilege of making their site usable. Unreal.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They don't care. Being told to gently caress off didn't make them leave. Being told to gently caress off again didn't make them leave, they barely listen to a thing games workshop says or does because they don't engage with the hobby in any way that's real. They do watch a lot of fan lore videos however!

That sort of thing occurs in many hobby spaces. Let me tell you about historical reenacting, for example.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cessna posted:

That sort of thing occurs in many hobby spaces. Let me tell you about historical reenacting, for example.

I have a friend who is high up in the SCA in the UK who basically has a part time job of dealing with hateful regressive pricks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I talked to a German reenactor who said they had to make sure they weren't letting in people who were excited about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest for the wrong reasons.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nazi Punk gently caress Off hopefully leads to Always Punch Nazis eventually.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I talked to a German reenactor who said they had to make sure they weren't letting in people who were excited about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest for the wrong reasons.
Those Goths aren't on their way to WGT in Leipzig.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://toybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/UDCv.MillerComplaint.pdf

Upper Deck is suing Ravensberger and Ryan Miller, claiming Ryan Miller designed Lorcana for them (as "Rise of Ikorr"), then took the game to Ravensberger and made it Lorcana.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Seems bold to go up against Disney, but then maybe they're hoping Disney will just settle it by buying the IP for too much money.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

3 Action Economist posted:

Seems bold to go up against Disney, but then maybe they're hoping Disney will just settle it by buying the IP for too much money.

Not suing Disney.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CitizenKeen posted:

Not suing Disney.

Of course not, Disney wouldn't have any knowledge of the prior ownership of IP or anything. Ravensberger was contracted by them to make a gae, that's all they cared about.

But they're still an interested party.

I suppose they could just bury Ravensberger and tell Upper Deck to make the gaem instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

Chapter (?) titles:

This is well worth reading, thanks for the link.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Of course not, Disney wouldn't have any knowledge of the prior ownership of IP or anything. Ravensberger was contracted by them to make a gae, that's all they cared about.

I suppose they could just bury Ravensberger and tell Upper Deck to make the gaem instead.

It may be something that gets determined in discovery. But I would imagine you want to delay looking the Mouse

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Actually, the Japanese Dark Souls TRPG rules were recently translated in full and they have a stamina dice system for combat:

I've been reading this, and it looks pretty cool. I did made a semi-automated google sheet character sheet, but the one thing I don't understand is how enemy attackng works. It looks like they don't get the same sort of choices with reserving stamina dice. The book says PCs need 5 dice, but the GM only needs 1-2. So do they only attack with 2 dice and always have 2 to defend with? I can't find anything searching online.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I find it somewhat comforting that when I went to a local warhammer store opening that the people that showed up (aside from the majority of them being white men) were exactly the kind of people that wiki secondaries like Arch and worse seethe about daily. Nearly a third of them were women, a good chunk of them were PoCs, lots of my fellow rainbow mafiosos wearing pride pins and bracelets and everything else and GW's staff were extremely kind and good all day. I saw tons of people be like "oh I'm not sure it seems really daunting and intimidating" and being welcomed with open arms. Guys teaching people how to paint, free of charge, just for fun. Lots of teaching games being played. Even most of the people there were super welcoming, I met friends, exchanged numbers, and I've already played two games with the new people I met there a couple weeks ago.

These fashy losers don't fit in anywhere in the hobby except online, where they get an enormous reach with other losers. They'll do anything to convince you they're the majority but that isn't the case(this is partially the fault of clout-seeking twitter people who feel the need to help boost the reach of these people in the algorithm by reacting to every single braindead tweet these idiots make). Most of them are secondaries, who just play the video games and for a lot of them it's "played", as in, not since the second Dawn of War(2009). Maybe Space Marine (2011). Otherwise it's memes and lore videos to fap to endlessly, no model painting, no games being played, just an endless cottage industry of racists pretending Warhammer is something it's not. Some dude on /tg/ was saying they'd never put Bretonnian characters in WFRP due to the fact that its "no longer pc" to put social classes in games and Brets are all about social classes, at which point someone informed him that "social class" is literally an important mechanic in the game, that people will respond accordingly to you based on your class, that you can ape other classes usually by having nice clothes and expensive accessories etc etc etc and finished his post by asking the dude if he'd ever even read WFRP before and the guy just called his responder a pedophile in response.

1d4chan is the perfect crystallization of this, where they've essentially hallucinated their own idea of 40k and codified it.

Lamuella posted:

I have a friend who is high up in the SCA in the UK who basically has a part time job of dealing with hateful regressive pricks.

It's a whole thing. The SCA has a rampant missing stair problem concentrated in the combat reenactors, and an organizational setup that both only picks leaders through combat and gives them actual organizational power. Combine that with a board of directors in the greater org that both assigns its own successors and is in no way actually accountable to the membership, and the stickjock mafia is a real thing, and real problem.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 12, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

1d4chan is the perfect crystallization of this, where they've essentially hallucinated their own idea of 40k and codified it.

1d4chan users are super-bad at reading in general, and understanding the symbolism and subtext that is text specifically, but real good at coming up their with own symbolism and subtext that actually isn't in the text.

Also, randomly bigoted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

You'd think they'd be happy with how things shook out. I mean, GW has sandblasted away the satire and codified that the Imperium are the Good Guys Actually but I guess mentioning that they have minorities is a bridge too far.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dawgstar posted:

You'd think they'd be happy with how things shook out. I mean, GW has sandblasted away the satire and codified that the Imperium are the Good Guys Actually but I guess mentioning that they have minorities is a bridge too far.

I am pretty ignorant about this type of media literacy, so I am just spitballing and tell me if I'm full of poo poo here: I wonder if the issue* is satire in the age of fandoms. Sure, singular satires are misinterpreted or misunderstood even in their time, but maybe it's the continual decades-long expansion of works into elaborate universes that strains any allegory to the breaking point. Perhaps the laws of narrative start to take over and direct the trajectory, often away from the satirical nature. Perhaps success under capitalism means broadening your base out to people who don't get subtext. I have not read them, but by reputation it seems like some satire/parody series like Discword are targeting different things every time, which might mean the element remains unmuddled.

*: Obviously the issues are the Nazi fucks

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
No Child Left Behind did a lot of damage to the humanities in public education

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That seems like the most sensible outcome so of course it will not be that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Reddit ain't exactly a TG company - but it's central to a lot of the broader hobby community.

Most(?) subreddits including a lot in TG spaces (like r/Gloomhaven, which I help moderate) have gone dark in protest of the company's decisions to kill 3rd party apps.

https://lifehacker.com/why-your-favorite-subreddits-are-going-dark-on-june-12-1850521188

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dawgstar posted:

I just thought of something that blew my mind.

The Emperor's Greatest Success was not the Primarchs, or the Space Marines, or creating a 10000 year old Fascist Authoritarian Nightmare.

It was convincing the vast majority of people in our universe who know about 40K that he is right and his methods are the one and true way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Comstar posted:

I just thought of something that blew my mind.

The Emperor's Greatest Success was not the Primarchs, or the Space Marines, or creating a 10000 year old Fascist Authoritarian Nightmare.

It was convincing the vast majority of people in our universe who know about 40K that he is right and his methods are the one and true way.

You're in too deep!! You can't tell reality from fiction anymore gently caress!!! It's just like that tom hanks sewer movie