Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

The devs also forgot to disable the hotkey if you don't have the tech, so as long as you know that it's N, you can use it before you have the research :v:
That said, it's a really early research so it's not a big deal even if they fix that. Locking the advanced vehicle logistics behind Research Lab 2 hurts more :smithicide:

Bad news: They fixed the hotkey thing, so you can't use it before you have the tech for it now.
Good news: Advanced logistics was moved down into the Research Lab 1 era :dance:

e:

OwlFancier posted:

Do you want to use belts with farms? They and the markets are intrinsically sized so that you can pick up full truckloads which is what you use trucks for. Belts can be used for anything but they seem to be preferential for things which move tiny amounts of stuff short distances, i.e production lines.

I'm sure you could add some belts but it would be low on the list of priorities.

Just plug the potato farms straight into the food markets and ignore both belts and trucks until you feel like giving your people some better food.
This can last you quite some time if you have enough space for 3-4 farms right next you your city

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Do you want to use belts with farms? They and the markets are intrinsically sized so that you can pick up full truckloads which is what you use trucks for. Belts can be used for anything but they seem to be preferential for things which move tiny amounts of stuff short distances, i.e production lines.

I'm sure you could add some belts but it would be low on the list of priorities.

In my first game, the amount of trucks tasked to food moving jobs became untenable after a while, causing me to prefer it. Like any other transport task, belts simply free up your trucks to do other things on top of making flows more consistent. I belt everything to a storage area with a sorter, and stuff can be moved from there if it needs to be.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

1) You need to research Advanced Logistics. This will let you say “all trucks assigned to this mining tower, dump your stuff here, here, and here”. Edit: you do that by clicking on the mining tower and press the + in the export section, then clicking on the storage bin.

2) For the dirt and rock, you need *two* storage bins for each, usually I use the T2 bins and just connect them directly to each other. Have the mining tower trucks dump dirt in the first one. DO NOT set the slider to keep it full, just don’t touch the slider. Set the second one to keep empty and your generic trucks will empty it.

Point 2 is where I was messing up. God drat it, that seems so obvious now but at first glance, I kept hitting that invisible wall and couldn't figure out why all my stuff was grinding to a halt. Thank you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

There almost no reason to belt into a market. Most end game populations eat food at a rate very manageable by truck delivery using the market as storage (i.e. also little reason to build storage).

That's separate from a need to belt farms because eventually you get complex foods needing several steps that you'll belt up anyway. Even that's not really necessary, and the main reason to belt up farms is by the time you plumb them into chemical production chains.

Qubee posted:

Point 2 is where I was messing up. God drat it, that seems so obvious now but at first glance, I kept hitting that invisible wall and couldn't figure out why all my stuff was grinding to a halt. Thank you.
I'll defend a lot of stupid poo poo about this game but this is something that needs built into a single building.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 6, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If I have a group of farms I’ll belt the food into T2 storage containers at the edge of the group then have trucks empty them at their leisure. At least then I can pretend I’m being efficient.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

I've been getting really into Football Manager which is challenging as someone who has barely even followed the world cup, but it's a lot of fun for people with my variety of spreadsheet enthusiasm. I just wish I knew how financial stuff like transfer budgets, GAM, TAM and so on worked in full.

Oh well, in time I will.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
COI: My 3-stage Refinery with cracking is complete. Primary products are diesel and fuel gas. It is self-powered from burning fuel gas and heavy oil. Secondary products are rubber, sulfur and fertilizer II.

There is an additional cracking module at the top for diesel surplus. If the output tanks are full it will crack the entire output to naptha, then to fuel gas, which is enough to run a pair of boilers at roughly 80%. I route that steam down to the desalinators and turbines on the left side. (I initially built the first half of that module with a solid fuel boiler running on woodchips and coal, so the steam from the fuel gas boilers cut its uptime dramatically.)

So I also get a ton of water to run the refinery and export to my settlement and farms, + ~18mw of power. Before I built this monster I had completely drained the nearby aquifer and my coal power plant was putting a lot of strain on the mine. Now things are a lot more relaxed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've found piping steam overflow to turbines to be more trouble than it is worth. Since excess is by definition unpredictable, that means your power supply is unpredictable. And your power supply is the last thing you want to be unpredictable.

Meanwhile boilers that have saturated the pipes just won't run, saving fuel when it isn't needed. You can even take advantage of that to have backup boilers for critical infrastructure, having gas backed up with coal for example, by routing the coal boilers through a balancer and setting the gas boilers to prio.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OwlFancier posted:

That may actually be possible because pumps have a set (but quite high) power cost so if you put enough wheels behind it you could make perpetual motion (until the water evaporates)

Beaver science exceeds dwarf science in some ways.

Of course it does, Against The Storm taught us that beavers just dwarves except you do a find and replace on "metal" for "wood" and "ale" for "wine".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Warmachine posted:

I've found piping steam overflow to turbines to be more trouble than it is worth. Since excess is by definition unpredictable, that means your power supply is unpredictable. And your power supply is the last thing you want to be unpredictable.

Meanwhile boilers that have saturated the pipes just won't run, saving fuel when it isn't needed. You can even take advantage of that to have backup boilers for critical infrastructure, having gas backed up with coal for example, by routing the coal boilers through a balancer and setting the gas boilers to prio.
You can set up a pretty neat base load/peak load system with the priorities individually set on turbines and optionally flywheels and have unlinked gas take priority over coal.

But I tend to agree the solution you want if only for visual management (maybe before super pressure steam forces your hand to have delinked base load and peak load) is steam going into balancers going into turbines.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Believe me, its priority balanced. Might play around with the new thermal storage later as well.

Edit: Multi-tier mining operations. The excavators up top are clearing off a layer of mixed dirt and coal over the next tier of the mine to be worked. (So I can see where the seam is and place the retaining walls in the right spot the first time this time) By dropping their coal down to the lower lever using a stacker truck trips stay short and I don't have to re-set any of the machines working for the main mine. They automatically mine from the pile of pure coal since its higher than their mining designation.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 6, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

Believe me, its priority balanced. Might play around with the new thermal storage later as well.

Edit: Multi-tier mining operations. The excavators up top are clearing off a layer of mixed dirt and coal over the next tier of the mine to be worked. (So I can see where the seam is and place the retaining walls in the right spot the first time this time) By dropping their coal down to the lower lever using a stacker truck trips stay short and I don't have to re-set any of the machines working for the main mine. They automatically mine from the pile of pure coal since its higher than their mining designation.

Someone in discord last night was very convinced thermal storage was giving them more steam than they put in... which... it wasn't, but they were also doing some nonsense with 64 (!) desalinators of which probably 8 ever ran?

The point of this conversation ended up being that for loads at are either all or nothing, the thermal storages could make one boiler seem like eight, since the boiler charges the storage when the system is at rest, and suddenly when you need it you can get 600 steam/min into the system for as long as the thermal reserves of the storage last. It's a very niche, but interesting, case of the thermal storage legitimately acting as a steam capacitor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Warmachine posted:

It's more fun to Grapes of Wrath my farm products than try to figure out the production chains is what I'm saying.

Capitalism? In a logistics simulator? Why I

Polikarpov posted:

COI: My 3-stage Refinery with cracking is complete. Primary products are diesel and fuel gas. It is self-powered from burning fuel gas and heavy oil. Secondary products are rubber, sulfur and fertilizer II.

There is an additional cracking module at the top for diesel surplus. If the output tanks are full it will crack the entire output to naptha, then to fuel gas, which is enough to run a pair of boilers at roughly 80%. I route that steam down to the desalinators and turbines on the left side. (I initially built the first half of that module with a solid fuel boiler running on woodchips and coal, so the steam from the fuel gas boilers cut its uptime dramatically.)

So I also get a ton of water to run the refinery and export to my settlement and farms, + ~18mw of power. Before I built this monster I had completely drained the nearby aquifer and my coal power plant was putting a lot of strain on the mine. Now things are a lot more relaxed.

Always
Be
Constructing
Desalination
Extensions

In the prior version, I was hard at work at creating a large aqueduct that would provide convenient access to salt water in the center of Vanilla Island, and equally important, a giant dumping hole for waste products. I had conveniently created Very Large Holes that were formerly filled with valuable raw resources nearby to place the excess dirt into!. From experimentation, it seems that CoI let you dig below the water level (or at least sea level), but would flood fill (:dadjoke:) any areas that were at 0 Z level and adjacent to sea water. So, I was constructing a very long trench with retention walls built into it, with the plan of digging a little bit of overflow at the end. I originally was hoping for a way to dock ships closer to where they needed to go, but 1) obscene amount of space required for docks and 2) the inability to dredge meant that it was only going to be a vanity project.

Unfortunately, the bridges aren't meant for actually going over water, so it would have impacted truck travel. Fortunately, conveyor belts and pipes are able to do so, and CoI doesn't care about power lines!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The only real thing I have issue with in COI at this point is food production. Farming feels like the least fun system in the game for me to engage with, between the amount of space needed for farms, the vagaries of food output based on rotation and fertility, and the need to sort everything if you put it on belts--which you'll want to do at any sort of scale. It all just comes together in a way that feels janky and unknowable, and I'm honestly more inclined to overbuild and dispose of waste rather than try to balance everything and then have to rebalance things when my population grows.

It's more fun to Grapes of Wrath my farm products than try to figure out the production chains is what I'm saying.

I mean hey you can always compost it to make fertilizer to make more crops to compost to make fertilizer. Or convert it all to animal feed to burn for steam.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s been a while since I was playing late game CoI, but how much water do you guys need? Specifically, after adding large cooling towers (or whatever they’re called), I don’t remember struggling for lack of water.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s been a while since I was playing late game CoI, but how much water do you guys need?

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "always more." It is a production game, after all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but you get tools over time, seemingly more so with water than other materials, that lets you get more efficient.

Off the top of my head you get cooling towers to capture steam, desalination gets more efficient, you can partially turn wastewater into clean water, and you can eventually convert brine to water.

I don’t know, maybe I’m remembering it wrong. And I haven’t gotten to the new nuclear stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

I mean hey you can always compost it to make fertilizer to make more crops to compost to make fertilizer. Or convert it all to animal feed to burn for steam.

Yeah, this is what I mean. The game doesn't have a 'dump fruit into ditch and cover in lye' recipe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Water becomes your magic alchemy catalyst for things like bioplastic and biodiesel. You can start replacing peaking oil with renewable water. As mentioned you can also just feedback into the farms themself through organic or chemical fertilizer.

Alchemy draws also include the more efficient arc furnace recipes.

You can generally find somewhere to use all the water you can get to reduce or replace other things.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Time to * Satisfactory in the OP peeps?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

Time to * Satisfactory in the OP peeps?

While we're at it, I think replacing Railway Empire with 2 makes sense.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't know the criteria of notable but the top 3 games in the factory genre imo are Factorio, Satisfactory, and DSP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I don't know the criteria of notable but the top 3 games in the factory genre imo are Factorio, Satisfactory, and DSP.

The thing about DSP is that there's going to be combat added soon, so I think I'd rather wait on the * until after folks have had some experience with that.

OK Will update Railway Empires to 2.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dwarf fortress goes unstarred what beardless nonsense is this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Elf sympathizers in this thread, release the tamed giant cave spiders

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

I have no beard. However I added the * anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dwarf Fortress is video game salvia and should not be so simply recommended. Knowing it exists is enough. The people who appreciate it will find their way from the stories, a twisted curiosity, or a sense of boredom with the mainstream.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not about having a beard on your face, it's about having a beard in your soul.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had to shave my actual beard off for work so I am generally supportive of the concept of soul beards and fearful of the concept of ingrown soul beard hairs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

OwlFancier posted:

I had to shave my actual beard off for work so I am generally supportive of the concept of soul beards and fearful of the concept of ingrown soul beard hairs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Stayed up till 01:30 chipping away at my Timberborn save, I think I finally grok this game and I'm having a blast managing the hydrology projects.

Found this article with the dev about the water system

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/deep-dive-timberborn-s-water-mechanics

I really hope this game inspires someone to make a game about managing terraced farms for rice cultivation.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
waited for the Captain of Industry update before getting too far into a new game.

just got the first couple of advanced distillers up and running, not really noticing anything different, other than the brick chain.

making Bricks is way better than Cement blocks. i'm hard pressed to understand why I would want to switch to Cement Blocks from bricks

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Grevlek posted:

waited for the Captain of Industry update before getting too far into a new game.

just got the first couple of advanced distillers up and running, not really noticing anything different, other than the brick chain.

making Bricks is way better than Cement blocks. i'm hard pressed to understand why I would want to switch to Cement Blocks from bricks

Takes way more coal and actually a ton of dirt to make bricks, primarily. Concrete is pretty efficient and with pseudo-limited resources efficiency is the name of the game. You can also be making concrete as a form of waste disposal, getting rid of slag and/or rock.

In most games including my most recent one I don't even make a brickworks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I literally phased out my brickworks area due to the reasons mentioned above. It takes a metric truckload of dirt - which is a hassle more than anything, as well as coal, which is a useful and finite reasource.

Cement bricks on the other hand take a waste product from your bustling foundry sector, which keeps the foundries working constantly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Qubee posted:

I literally phased out my brickworks area due to the reasons mentioned above. It takes a metric truckload of dirt - which is a hassle more than anything, as well as coal, which is a useful and finite reasource.

Cement bricks on the other hand take a waste product from your bustling foundry sector, which keeps the foundries working constantly.

What's the waste product? Silica? Just curious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dived back into Timberborn again after the latest updates. It’s still frustratingly opaque in some ways. The tutorial tells you to build a water wheel but doesn’t tell you where. Mine kept stopping and killing my district’s power. I had to dig into reddit for some folk wisdom about how the wheel spins more in narrower waterways but not so much when it’s three pixels away from a bend in the waterway (???).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VelociBacon posted:

What's the waste product? Silica? Just curious.

Slag. Concrete takes:

Water + [gravel/crushed slag] + [sand/manufactured sand]

You CAN make concrete just by crushing rock into gravel/manufactured sand, but its generally considered better to use slag if possible. Especially if your concrete setup is near your smelting setup and you can just send a belt over.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'm still on my first playthrough, but I've found myself keeping both brick and block chains going just because having at least one of them churning is so foundational and I don't want to run into unfortunate surprises based on what cover my mines happen to have at the moment.

I should probably get into the habit of doing significantly more wood production and hammering the early wood-for-masonry trade on cooldown, since that's fully renewable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Slag. Concrete takes:

Water + [gravel/crushed slag] + [sand/manufactured sand]

You CAN make concrete just by crushing rock into gravel/manufactured sand, but its generally considered better to use slag if possible. Especially if your concrete setup is near your smelting setup and you can just send a belt over.

Oh my god sorry I thought I was in the real life construction thread. I was like drat this guy's got a foundry and belts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vegetable posted:

I dived back into Timberborn again after the latest updates. It’s still frustratingly opaque in some ways. The tutorial tells you to build a water wheel but doesn’t tell you where. Mine kept stopping and killing my district’s power. I had to dig into reddit for some folk wisdom about how the wheel spins more in narrower waterways but not so much when it’s three pixels away from a bend in the waterway (???).

Yeah I used wheels on the starting river but once it was dammed the flow wasn't as good, which is fine because I could at least supplement it with windmills. I'm probably going to make a channel just for the wheels and move all the industry to there.