Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i am skeptical of that news despite having no reason to be skeptical of it but one point in its favor was trump's apoplectic rage on social media after his lawyers met with doj staff earlier this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I hope that they have some evidence that he tried to actually do something with those documents, like transmit them to third parties. If they're indicting just because he had them... well we all know that its a serious crime but half the country will be insisting that its a technicality, and what about Biden/Hillary/Obama/etc. Harder to argue that if he was trying to sell docs to Saudi Arabia or blackmail people.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

ryde posted:

I hope that they have some evidence that he tried to actually do something with those documents, like transmit them to third parties. If they're indicting just because he had them... well we all know that its a serious crime but half the country will be insisting that its a technicality, and what about Biden/Hillary/Obama/etc. Harder to argue that if he was trying to sell docs to Saudi Arabia or blackmail people.

For the chud demographic he can do no wrong and evidence be damned. It's all fabricated by the deep state.

If it's true that Meadows flipped and got immunity and STILL is getting hit with some amount of charges then they have trump dead to rights.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i am skeptical of that news despite having no reason to be skeptical of it but one point in its favor was trump's apoplectic rage on social media after his lawyers met with doj staff earlier this week.

Reality has bullied us so badly that any good news feels like a trap.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
no it's just big news and I want to see it reported from at least one other source, preferably a domestic one

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cr0y posted:

For the chud demographic he can do no wrong and evidence be damned. It's all fabricated by the deep state.

True, but there are still independents, who are basically republicans with some amount of shame. And some portion of them can be shamed out of supporting Trump he committed *actual* espionage instead of technical espionage.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If it is true I doubt they'd bring espionage charges if they didn't have an extremely solid case

gregday
May 23, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no it's just big news and I want to see it reported from at least one other source, preferably a domestic one

edit: ^^^ I mean, the search warrant was executed based on suspicion of espionage act violations, so there you go.

Rest assured every major US news outlet is currently scrambling to confirm this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yes that's what i'm waiting for, others to confirm it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

gregday posted:

edit: ^^^ I mean, the search warrant was executed based on suspicion of espionage act violations, so there you go.

Rest assured every major US news outlet is currently scrambling to confirm this.

yeah just saying they're not going to bring charges against a former president and especially one as insane as Trump with weak evidence and rationale that comes down to "we needed to do something!" and trying to make it stick on technical points.

If they do it then they have solid evidence and aren't just throwing poo poo at the wall, at least IMO

How well it's prosecuted is maybe another issue though...

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Edit: Nevermind this is just Feinberg again, which was already posted.

ryde fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 7, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I hope he can still run for office and fracture the rightist vote!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ryde posted:

I hope that they have some evidence that he tried to actually do something with those documents, like transmit them to third parties.

To be iron clad I hope he actually transmitted something and was paid for it, that there is a recording of the transaction that includes Trump bragging about how “great this stuff is” and “no one else has stuff like this” and “it’s really valuable” and that the person who paid for it and is likely protected by something like diplomatic immunity is all, “yes I paid for it, it was really useful to the government of X” and there are records of the bank transactions.

Hearing that meadows is going to spend a non zero amount of time in custody is great too. Now I have hopes that there are a number of others caught in the net that also will plead out and admit guilt.

It’s going to be hard for Trump supporters to be all, “deep state” when the people they were just watching on Fox are all, “Yes I am pleading guilty because I did crimes, your honor.”

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

To be iron clad I hope he actually transmitted something and was paid for it, that there is a recording of the transaction that includes Trump bragging about how “great this stuff is” and “no one else has stuff like this” and “it’s really valuable” and that the person who paid for it and is likely protected by something like diplomatic immunity is all, “yes I paid for it, it was really useful to the government of X” and there are records of the bank transactions.

Hearing that meadows is going to spend a non zero amount of time in custody is great too. Now I have hopes that there are a number of others caught in the net that also will plead out and admit guilt.

It’s going to be hard for Trump supporters to be all, “deep state” when the people they were just watching on Fox are all, “Yes I am pleading guilty because I did crimes, your honor.”

Lol not it won't

"They threatened his family, he's only doing this otherwise the deep state would murder his kids"

Caros
May 14, 2008

cr0y posted:

Lol not it won't

"They threatened his family, he's only doing this otherwise the deep state would murder his kids"

Yeah, the path is either Michael Flynn or Michael Cohen.

If you leave prison a true believer then the deep state railroaded you into a guilty plea. If you still stand by your statement then you are a deep state plant.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:munch:

Wayback posted:

Could build walls around Mar a Lago and go all Escape from New York with it.
Finally someone that understands! My honest, highest hope is for some BS house arrest sentence, but I definitely want to see it coupled with a complete Faraday cage, nothing but printed communication materials in or out. I think we can just declare it the Donald Trump Memorial Prison.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure Donnie does print outs already and has for decades.

Also they should just truman show him, same he's supa prez and just having him play with a red button.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PhazonLink posted:

pretty sure Donnie does print outs already and has for decades.

Also they should just truman show him, same he's supa prez and just having him play with a red button.

Ah, pulling a Salazar.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For those seeking confirmation: "Trump says he has not been told he’s being indicted in federal investigation". And what more do you need except a denial.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-says-not-told-being-200601685.html

So either he's lying, in which case he has been told, or he's bending the truth because he's actually only been told that the grand jury is being presented evidence and asked to indict ("but I'm not in a state of being indicted until they decide!").

ps The Independent says there's a T response today. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ong/ar-AA1cfOhI

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

For those seeking confirmation: "Trump says he has not been told he’s being indicted in federal investigation". And what more do you need except a denial.

So either he's lying, in which case he has been told, or he's bending the truth because he's actually only been told that the grand jury is being presented evidence and asked to indict ("but I'm not in a state of being indicted until they decide!").

Could also be he got told in an indirect way by one of his toadies too afraid to just say it straight up, and ignored it/forgot about it because he holds them in contempt and only ever half-listens to what other people say.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ps The Independent says there's a T response today. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ong/ar-AA1cfOhI

Presumably they wouldn't tell him he is being indicted until they actually win the indictment from a grand jury, no?

Edit: Also, the https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/07/trump-mar-a-lago-classified-documents-investigation seems to disagree, and Donnie is a liar, so idk.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2023

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

On the other hand, there was that unhinged Truth Social rant about being treated "unfairly" after his lawyers met with the DoJ, so....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ryde posted:

On the other hand, there was that unhinged Truth Social rant about being treated "unfairly" after his lawyers met with the DoJ, so....

It's Trump though. Every mouth fart he barfs out on social media is unhinged angry ranting.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Nobody told me! It was a perfect presidency!" -- February 1, 2025, DJT, from Mar Al Catraz.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In other news,

Trump ally Bannon subpoenaed in special counsel Jack Smith's Jan. 6 grand jury probe

quote:

Former Trump White House official Steve Bannon has been subpoenaed by a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., in connection with special counsel Jack Smith's investigation into Jan. 6 and former President Donald Trump's efforts to stay in office, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The subpoena, for documents and testimony, was sent out in late May, the sources said. The grand jury investigating Trump's actions surrounding Jan. 6 and in connection with efforts to interfere with the peaceful transfer of power is separate from the grand jury in Miami that heard testimony on Wednesday about Trump's handling of classified documents.

A spokesman for the special counsel declined to comment. Bannon's attorney Harlan Protass declined to comment.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
“Harlan Protass” - truly we are blessed.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

En taro Assadar

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I"m not holding my breath for trump ever seeing consequences but Meadows flipping and Espionage Act charges are definitely loving with my general apathy.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/07/trump-notified-that-he-is-the-target-of-an-ongoing-criminal-investigation-00100920

"Federal prosecutors have notified former President Donald Trump in a letter that he is the target of a criminal investigation, according to a person familiar with the matter."

... You know in case there was any doubt.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
So the grand jury is voting on charges tomorrow. Say they vote to indict, how long until some sort of arrest/trump turns himself kind of thing happens? We talking days, weeks? Please God let it be Friday, be a hell of a way to end a week.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Meatball posted:

So the grand jury is voting on charges tomorrow. Say they vote to indict, how long until some sort of arrest/trump turns himself kind of thing happens? We talking days, weeks? Please God let it be Friday, be a hell of a way to end a week.
Arraignment first. I think that has to happen within days. Then the drudgery starts with pre-trial motions and that kinda stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Meatball posted:

Last time it was just under a week. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. Depends on the judge and scheduling.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Trump is just going to slip out of this the way he slips out of everything. It'll be huge news with damning evidence, then it will just be inexplicably forgotten, and never once brought up again.

The government is just not willing to hold him accountable for anything. This should be extremely obvious to everyone by now. None of this will result in any meaningful consequences for him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Consider the source, but still....

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1666588445114880002?t=QFpX3Yo92vvJUwle-sKBSQ&s=19

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Trump has a history of leaking rumors about very bad news, so that when just "somewhat" bad news comes out, the impact is deadened and the news cycle has moved on.

Any chance that is what is happening here?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The Bible posted:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Trump is just going to slip out of this the way he slips out of everything. It'll be huge news with damning evidence, then it will just be inexplicably forgotten, and never once brought up again.

The government is just not willing to hold him accountable for anything. This should be extremely obvious to everyone by now. None of this will result in any meaningful consequences for him.

I enjoy being a doomer as well as the next guy, but I like to wait a little bit before I jump in with both feet

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

:toxx:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sure, what the hell, :toxx:. If Trump sees a day behind prison walls, ban me.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Bible posted:

Sure, what the hell, :toxx:. If Trump sees a day behind prison walls, ban me.

weak toxx condition compared to your original claims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

susan b buffering posted:

weak toxx condition compared to your original claims

Alright, what would you consider appropriate?