Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chill Monster posted:

Access to this water is so important that I imagine Putin to be utterly furious over losing it, especially after briefly regaining it.

I think it is most likely that the dam failing/being destroyed was not planned by either side, and was actually an accident/result of earlier damage done to the dam.

It's also entirely plausible that the Russian army blew up the dam intentionally, but if so, it was likely some low ranking idiot acting quickly and not thinking about the consequences, and his head will be rolling soon

Puzzling a motive out is difficult since deliberately overfilling the reservoir in order to maximize the damage done by blowing the dam looks exactly like completely neglecting and mismanaging the dam to the point that it overfills and fails, although I have seen plausible analysis suggesting that the middle of the dam collapsing makes it more likely that it was deliberate demolition.

The timing does seem off, so it seems entirely possible that Russia wanted to have this as an option and then someone jumped the gun and/or hosed up. If the loss of the dam and/or canal was a foregone conclusion then going scorched earth would make a barbaric sort of sense but Ukraine's offensive has barely begun and even optimistic progress reports don't paint a picture of dire urgency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Not surprising at all. At no point in time was a cross river op an attractive option for the Ukrainians.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
I'm curious of whether Ukraine might consider a cross-river assault after the water recedes considering the water level is now controlled by nature (not the Russians anymore) and the river bank defenses are damaged.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RockWhisperer posted:

I'm curious of whether Ukraine might consider a cross-river assault after the water recedes considering the water level is now controlled by nature (not the Russians anymore) and the river bank defenses are damaged.

Yeah, this is why I wonder if the timing might have been an oops even if this was part of the plan. Surely the threat of being able to flood the river would have been a better defense than having already flooded the river?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

RockWhisperer posted:

Interesting idea though I think part of Russia's "strategy" in blowing the dam is that Ukraine will be so busy doing clean up that even with Russia's side basically undefended, a river crossing still won't be worth the cost at this time. Additionally, the resources needed for cleanup and rescue could have been why Russia blew the dam so early in Ukraine's offensive; give them a humanitarian disaster right when they need to pour the most resources into attacks elsewhere.

They've also turned the south bank into the most difficult terrain possible, it is now both a ruined urban environment AND flooded. I do not envy any large military equipment trying to make their way through that, potentially under artillery fire whenever Ukraine decides to retake the south bank.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, this is why I wonder if the timing might have been an oops even if this was part of the plan. Surely the threat of being able to flood the river would have been a better defense than having already flooded the river?

I looked briefly and notice Ukraine safely holds the next reservoir upstream if I'm reading this right. With several days of planning, they could raise the water level to help with big boat navigation or lower it if that might allow for easier traversal by small craft. There's no major tributary between the tailwaters and the Dnipro reservoir either.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1666505684026785792

Quite a few squads(?) still out on the spit. Maybe this will help alleviate artillery spotting in Kherson oblast.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1666529410709692418?s=20

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Has this been seen or discussed anywhere?
https://twitter.com/Ukrinform_News/status/1666510475226390531

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think that Russian volunteers news have largely been overshadowed by the tragedy in Kherson and the wait over the counteroffensive. The general consensus is that it's a distraction, since they are not holding terrain, at least officially.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Puzzling a motive out is difficult since deliberately overfilling the reservoir in order to maximize the damage done by blowing the dam looks exactly like completely neglecting and mismanaging the dam to the point that it overfills and fails.

To quote Michael Kofman, it's not yet clear whether this was a deliberate act of sabotage on the part of the Russians or gross negligence. Either way, it's utter stupidity.

Hopefully as more information comes out we'll be able to figure out what happened.

Another very concise analysis of recent events here:

https://warontherocks.com/episode/therussiacontingency/28898/ukraines-counter-offensive-begins/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I looked it up and going by google maps in the whole of Ukraine there were 14 road crossings of the dnieper pre-war which even for peacetime and just like having an economy seems like not enough

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Holy poo poo
https://goo.gl/maps/KG1LBUsQfGyWQrE77

Even the flood of 1993 wasn't this bad.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I looked it up and going by google maps in the whole of Ukraine there were 14 road crossings of the dnieper pre-war which even for peacetime and just like having an economy seems like not enough

What exactly do you mean by "road crossing"? What about railroads?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

jaete posted:

What exactly do you mean by "road crossing"? What about railroads?

Yellow lines that cross the dnipro on google maps

This is extremely unscientific

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
In NATO & Ukraine news: Nato members may send troops to Ukraine, warns former alliance chief

This idea of an extra speedy NATO membership for Ukraine seems like Clancychat... not sure how seriously to take this assessment

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jaete posted:

In NATO & Ukraine news: Nato members may send troops to Ukraine, warns former alliance chief

This idea of an extra speedy NATO membership for Ukraine seems like Clancychat... not sure how seriously to take this assessment

He's talking about after the war is over, as an alternative if NATO won't admit Ukraine directly.

Nobody's going to do anything while the war is still active.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

jaete posted:

Sending in what would essentially be peacekeepers would be a lesser alternative to NATO membership, not a shortcut to membership.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

RockWhisperer posted:

The odds of that are zero unless the Russians themselves evacuate the area and there is no resistance left. Crossing contested rivers is one of the hardest things you can do in war. You have to establish a foot hold on the far bank, and then proceed to be able to move men, vehicles, and supplies across the water obstacle in large quantities. The more units you put on the far side, the bigger the strain on whatever crossing equipment you got whether it be ferries or ad hoc bridging equipment. Existing crossings such as road and rail bridges are limited so the possibility of the foot hold, the bridges, and the area on your side of the bank which will be heavily congested, coming under punishing artillery fire is very high. If you remember the Kherson offensive that lasted 2 months, the Ukrainians tried to force themselves across a much smaller Inhulets river that was fordable in several places and was stone walled by the Russians who were stretched thin with a diminished supply capacity since their own logistics line across the Dnipro was getting hammered by ATACMS. The fighting near the area of Davydiv Brid on the Inuhlets held up the Ukrainians for almost 2 months and by all accounts was a blood bath with the Ukrainians suffering high casualties in men and vehicles.

I think you can understand why Kofman is skeptical that this changes anything. The Ukrainian army couldn't take advantage of a depleted Russian force, got held up for 2 months along a much smaller river that didn't even need crossing equipment in places and ultimately the Russians pulled out on their terms. Crossing the Dnipro would be a much bigger ask. Even if you say that the Ukrainians have newer toys and maybe better trained troops after a winter of consolidation, do you really think they would commit them to the most difficult of tasks when they could be unleashed further north where the Ukrainians can attack without having to cross a massive river?

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

MikeC posted:

The odds of that are zero unless the Russians themselves evacuate the area and there is no resistance left. Crossing contested rivers is one of the hardest things you can do in war. You have to establish a foot hold on the far bank, and then proceed to be able to move men, vehicles, and supplies across the water obstacle in large quantities. The more units you put on the far side, the bigger the strain on whatever crossing equipment you got whether it be ferries or ad hoc bridging equipment. Existing crossings such as road and rail bridges are limited so the possibility of the foot hold, the bridges, and the area on your side of the bank which will be heavily congested, coming under punishing artillery fire is very high. If you remember the Kherson offensive that lasted 2 months, the Ukrainians tried to force themselves across a much smaller Inhulets river that was fordable in several places and was stone walled by the Russians who were stretched thin with a diminished supply capacity since their own logistics line across the Dnipro was getting hammered by ATACMS. The fighting near the area of Davydiv Brid on the Inuhlets held up the Ukrainians for almost 2 months and by all accounts was a blood bath with the Ukrainians suffering high casualties in men and vehicles.

I think you can understand why Kofman is skeptical that this changes anything. The Ukrainian army couldn't take advantage of a depleted Russian force, got held up for 2 months along a much smaller river that didn't even need crossing equipment in places and ultimately the Russians pulled out on their terms. Crossing the Dnipro would be a much bigger ask. Even if you say that the Ukrainians have newer toys and maybe better trained troops after a winter of consolidation, do you really think they would commit them to the most difficult of tasks when they could be unleashed further north where the Ukrainians can attack without having to cross a massive river?

Seeing video of current flooding, I now put the chances of an attack at zero. It's way worse than I thought despite having seen the flooding projection maps before. It's not even worth entertaining at the moment.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Young Freud posted:

I think that Russian volunteers news have largely been overshadowed by the tragedy in Kherson and the wait over the counteroffensive. The general consensus is that it's a distraction, since they are not holding terrain, at least officially.

Isn't Crimea heavily protected anyways?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Willo567 posted:

That's not very relevant, since it's not adjacent to anything presently controlled by Ukraine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

https://deepstatemap.live/en#8/46.269/35.244

Just check out the map and see how much of territory is under Russia control before Crimea and think for yourself whether it would be easy for some dudes (who are not really delta force) to just waltz there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Twitter unresponsive. What was the content?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

Weird, it now says "This page doesn't exist".

It was an arial photo showing how bad and extensive the flooding is.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Text is still loading for me. Sounds like it was drone video of the flooding.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/live/qbSczd1_DgM

There's been a panel discussion a few hours earlier, with Michael Kofman, Anatol Lieven and Andrew Michta. Michta is on the hawkish side, Lieven is one of the few peace (ceasefire, more precisely) advocates who does actually have regional expertise.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
some guardian reporting on the dam destruction

quote:

As Ukrainians along the Dnipro struggled to survive after the dam collapse, Ukraine’s ministry of agrarian policy and food predicted an even greater disaster next year, with global implications, as a result of the loss of the Kakhovka reservoir, one of the largest in Europe, and its impact on some of Ukraine’s most fertile regions.

The ministry said the loss of water in the reservoir and the four major canals it feeds would mean an almost complete loss of irrigation systems in the Kherson region, three-quarters lost in Zaporizhzhia, and one-third lost in Dnipropetrovsk.

“The destruction of the Kakhovskaya [dam] will mean that the fields in the south of Ukraine may turn into deserts as early as next year,” the ministry said in a statement.

so tens of thousands displaced and added to the refugee count of the war, disrupted drinking water for hundreds of the thousands, and even more reduction of agricultural output for years to come. the war continues to find new lows of insanity and pointlessness

the worst immediate humanitarian impacts from the flooding seem to be on the left bank where the russian rescue effort seems to be almost non-existant. aerial footage out of oleshky shows many people trapped in their attics, locals in the area say that the russian army has set up checkpoints around the town which are hampering any sort of civilian rescue effort.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
an ammonia pipeline from russia to ukraine near kharkiv has been damaged

quote:

A pipeline used to transport ammonia fertilizer from Russia via Ukraine that may be central to the future of the Black Sea grain deal has been damaged, according to both Kyiv and Moscow, potentially complicating talks around the accord.

Russia's defence ministry said a "Ukrainian sabotage group" had blown up a section of the pipeline on Monday night near the village of Masyutivka in Kharkiv region. The village is on the frontline between Russian and Ukrainian troops.

"As a result of this terrorist act, there were civilian casualties. They have been provided with necessary medical assistance," the Russian ministry said in a statement.

"At present ammonia residues are being blown out of the damaged sections of the pipeline from Ukrainian territory. There are no casualties among Russian servicemen."

Oleh Sinehubov, the governor of Ukraine's Kharkiv region gave a different version of events. He said in a statement posted on Telegram that Russian troops had shelled the pipeline.

Six Russian shells had landed near a pumping station near Masyutivka at around 5:45 p.m. (1445 GMT) on Tuesday, nearly 24 hours after Moscow alleged Ukraine had blown up the same pipeline, he said.

Reuters could not independently verify the Russian and Ukrainian assertions.

as noted, russia has loudly been complaining that it has not been able to export as much ammonia fertilizer as the grain deal is supposed to guarantee. if either side felt like trying to scuttle the deal, continuing to keep this pipeline down would be a good start

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the worst immediate humanitarian impacts from the flooding seem to be on the left bank where the russian rescue effort seems to be almost non-existant. aerial footage out of oleshky shows many people trapped in their attics, locals in the area say that the russian army has set up checkpoints around the town which are hampering any sort of civilian rescue effort.

Whether or not they actively blew up the dam, it's starting to feel like Russia is deliberately exacerbating the humanitarian disaster to extort a halt to the Ukrainian offensive, with the threat of attacking any and all rescue efforts in range of Russian forces if they don't.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Today in Second Army in the World news: The lieutenant colonel that Wagners took hostage recently has recorded a video accusing Wagner of some horrid things

https://zona.media/article/2023/06/08/capture

quote:

- Fighters of the "Wagner PMC" constantly attacked his subordinates of the 72nd Motorized Rifle Brigade. In addition, the soldiers were kidnapped and threatened with death.

- The abducted soldiers were tortured, doused with gasoline, forced to perform physical labor for the PMCs (to carry the bodies and wounded).

- The howitzer battalion chief of staff was tied up, beaten and robbed of his car.

- Some of the abductees were attempted to be exchanged by the Wagner PMC for the ammunition.

- One of the kidnapped was beaten and "put down" (sexually assaulted), after which he committed suicide.

- In addition to soldiers, the Wagner PMC also stole some equipment: they hijacked a T-80, four guns, a Kamaz and a BMP. The mercenaries thought it was the trophies of war.

- After "detention" Venevitin was tortured "the way any embittered Russian soldier would not torture a captive soldier of the AFU. The Wagner PMC has video of these humiliations.

- Venevitin calls himself an "already former" commander of the 72nd Brigade. He does not specify what his resignation is connected with.

- Lieutenant Colonel Prigozhin accuses him of "discrediting" the army, "political PR" and "promotion of anarchism" at the front.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Today in Second Army in the World news: The lieutenant colonel that Wagners took hostage recently has recorded a video accusing Wagner of some horrid things

https://zona.media/article/2023/06/08/capture

and Prighozin wonders why the Russian army hates Wagner so much they secretly mined some of their retreat lines from Bakhmut

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The bigger part of that to me seems to be that Wagner and the Russian military are outright fighting in some sense, seemingly brought on by the Wagnerites having to do so to get supplies. Also that they are winning these clashes. What the hell is going on?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randarkman posted:

The bigger part of that to me seems to be that Wagner and the Russian military are outright fighting in some sense, seemingly brought on by the Wagnerites having to do so to get supplies. Also that they are winning these clashes. What the hell is going on?

When on one side you have volunteers and prisoners and on the other side ordinary mobiks, it's easy to see who know all the dirty tricks and who just want to survive intact.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Basically this. I think the twitter account reuploaded a higher quality version. iirc, the original post was a phone recording a screen, this is an actual video.
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1666754250347520003?s=20

It seems like the water is receding in the towns near the dam, but still rising downstream near Kherson. Lots of videos of Russians shelling near evacuation efforts which is just so on brand for them.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

ummel posted:

Basically this. I think the twitter account reuploaded a higher quality version. iirc, the original post was a phone recording a screen, this is an actual video.
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1666754250347520003?s=20

It seems like the water is receding in the towns near the dam, but still rising downstream near Kherson. Lots of videos of Russians shelling near evacuation efforts which is just so on brand for them.

The dipshit standard in russia apologetics this week is "oh so you're calling this a war crime? hmm? doesn't everyone do war crimes? what is a war crime anyway? and how is the solution to war crimes letting Ukraine do war, which is the real crime, which you can't have war crimes without??"

So pretty bad even by their usual standards

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

How can anyone even know what a war crime is?

How can anyone know what anything is?

Its a pretty common and long-running technique of theirs - muddy the waters and either actively deny or just create the impression that there is no such thing as truth and we can't know or trust anything.

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it

Tigey posted:

Its a pretty common and long-running technique of theirs - muddy the waters

I wonder if people subconciously choose apt metaphors sometimes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tigey posted:

How can anyone even know what a war crime is?

How can anyone know what anything is?

Its a pretty common and long-running technique of theirs - muddy the waters and either actively deny or just create the impression that there is no such thing as truth and we can't know or trust anything.

Honestly, the Russians might tend to use it often but it's pretty common everywhere these days when people find themselves standing on a weak position. "But how can we really KNOW that the world isn't run by reptilian skinshifters and that acupuncture isn't the key to removing them? Sure, you can cite your "facts" and "statistics," like you really think you know everything, but do you REALLY know where your information is coming from? There's a lot that goes on we don't know about, you know. The reptiles have a lot of incentive to cover it all up, right, follow the money dontcherknow. Anyways now that we've established that there's no such thing as objective truth I no longer feel the need to actually back up my position in any single way because in an informational vacuum one position is as good as another so why not believe in reptilian overlords?"

It's one of the most irritating trends of the 21st century, and actively corrosive to getting anything at all done when everyone starts going off pure tummy-feels and it's no longer possible to have an honest conversation about what's actually happening on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Tomn posted:

It's one of the most irritating trends of the 21st century, and actively corrosive to getting anything at all done when everyone starts going off pure tummy-feels and it's no longer possible to have an honest conversation about what's actually happening on the ground.

These ways of thinking have been created and/or massively stimulated by Russian social media manipulation together with rear end in a top hat billionaires (pleonasm) doing similar things for their own interests. Some proof of this has come out (British Analytica) but I strongly believe we have only seen a tiny tip of the iceberg on this.

I do wonder if Russia's economy collapsing and being redirected to the war will reduce this a bit but unfortunately the billionaires are still there and the techniques are now known and the easily influenced groups have been cultivated.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 8, 2023