Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the wheel encoder in my mouse stopped working properly (was occasionally scrolling up when i would roll it down) so i replaced it with a nice new quality ALPS encoder from japan. so crisp and clicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Fixing your peripherals feels great.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a Keychron K3 in UK-ISO layout which means it comes in nice keycap colours. I like it a lot, very sold on the ten keyless size and low-profile clackiness

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's a good layout, congrats on your proper opinions

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need to get a quieter keyboard for work so that it's not as obvious I'm taking notes on calls. Unless there's some plugin for teams to take out the clacky clacky

Does this mean I should get silent red or black and install rubber gaskets?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hed posted:

I need to get a quieter keyboard for work so that it's not as obvious I'm taking notes on calls. Unless there's some plugin for teams to take out the clacky clacky

Does this mean I should get silent red or black and install rubber gaskets?

get a better mic, a good directional pointed at your face will make you sound a lot better and make everything that isn't directly behind out completely inaudible.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cherry g84-4100
--> Perfect key feeling
--> High-quality keyboard for outstanding writing performance, fulfilling even the highest demands
--> Internal memory: no

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

get a better mic, a good directional pointed at your face will make you sound a lot better and make everything that isn't directly behind out completely inaudible.

Thanks, I got a baller Logitech one and my coworkers say they can't hear me clacking around now. Plus now I will be able to turn on Windows Hello for Faces or whatever

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Cherry g84-4100
--> no

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah there's too much going on there

the nuphy air75 has a perfect layout but alas, onboard storage. a tragedy for ages

had to go back to a 20ft long board and my wrist already hurts

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Cherry g84-4100
--> Perfect key feeling
--> High-quality keyboard for outstanding writing performance, fulfilling even the highest demands

this keyboard is triggering my claustrophobia

that poor ~ key seeking refuge down by the miniature spacebar is just not right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Cherry g84-4100
--> Perfect key feeling

this thing is cursed to hell twice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the perfect key feeling though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

aren't the keys on that smaller than on a standard keyboard?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Cherry g84-4100
--> Perfect key feeling

i'm f11

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think I want to buy one of these, mainly as a fidget toy but also to actually see what switches are good for me

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894129557.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think I want to buy one of these, mainly as a fidget toy but also to actually see what switches are good for me

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894129557.html

i bought a small one when picking my k3 switches and it's good for fidgeting. the little one i have doesn't hold the switches tightly, so it remains largely flat when fidgeting

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.ikbckeyboard.com/product-page/cd87-v-2

ikbc 'typeman' cd87

doubleshot pbt
no memory
wired
not the perfect layout but close

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
any recs on split keyboards that don't require layers? i got a mistel barocco and it was game changing, but i would be interested in something where i can swap switches and tenting is a little more customizable

i could probably deal with a layer/toggle for F keys but general nav buttons would be nice. unfortunately most split keyboards i see are closer to the moonlander which i don't feel like adjusting to and also i want to game without remapping every single thing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Its a Rolex posted:

any recs on split keyboards that don't require layers? i got a mistel barocco and it was game changing, but i would be interested in something where i can swap switches and tenting is a little more customizable

i could probably deal with a layer/toggle for F keys but general nav buttons would be nice. unfortunately most split keyboards i see are closer to the moonlander which i don't feel like adjusting to and also i want to game without remapping every single thing

kinesis freestyle pro

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Roosevelt posted:

kinesis freestyle pro

this is the way

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

switches are soldered in though

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

gently caress it why not

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just buy a kinesis advantage and move on with your life imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the 360 is so dreamy :allears:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

the 360 is so dreamy :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Its a Rolex posted:

how split? the q10 is a full split (Alice) TKL that does QMK/VIA, but both halves are fixed to the same base so you can’t vary the angle or separation distance

(per-key RGB, 5 extra/macro keys, hotswap switches, etc)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how long did it take you to re-learn how to type on one of those keebs. it seems like itd be basically impossible for me but my fingers dont usually stay on the home row.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

how long did it take you to re-learn how to type on one of those keebs. it seems like itd be basically impossible for me but my fingers dont usually stay on the home row.

the kinesis? about 1-2 weeks to get back up to normal typing speed. I wasn't a 'fingers on home row' guy either, just sorta typed how i typed.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

how split? the q10 is a full split (Alice) TKL that does QMK/VIA, but both halves are fixed to the same base so you can’t vary the angle or separation distance

Arisu (Alice with arrow keys) boards are always flat, AFAIK. I don't know of anybody who has yet to do an Arisu tented... maybe if all three of us go yell at Keychron they will? They seem to make every other crazy-rear end layout. The Q11 already exists as a split 75% board, just without any tenting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

post hole digger posted:

this was my first split keyboard and it took maybe a week for me to stop reaching for T and Y and H with the wrong hand. my 15-year-old picked it up quickly enough for her homework that she didn’t even bother complaining about it

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

post hole digger posted:

as others have said, about two weeks or so. it's been well worth it though - my hands stretch nowhere near as much and pain in my dud right hand from typing has reduced significantly.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its the fuckin backspace key. On regular keyboards its a stretch for the right pinky to get way up there. On the kinesis, bam, right under your thumb.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

post hole digger posted:

I had an absolute gently caress of a time [e- switching to split] because right after I got it, I got put on a project in a language I'm not used to and had to switch editors as well. Do not change 3 things at once.

Even so, after a week I rewired my brain to hit B/6 with my left hand most of the time. A couple weeks and it felt normal. A month and a half or so and it became my absolute preferred keyboard. My back pain has gotten much better because I can sit more naturally at my desk.

It's really about being able to just sit with your arms where it's most natural for you, which may not be the same as it is for me, but it's almost definitely not in the center of your body with your wrists in a weird angle

Its a Rolex fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 7, 2023

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Subjunctive posted:

i want two separate pieces. I really like my Mistel, I like the 75% layout, I'm just interested in exploring something a little fancier/possibly more customizable. I could compromise on the 75% but I would like a number row, delete key, and pgup/pgdn

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Kvantum posted:

Arisu (Alice with arrow keys) boards are always flat, AFAIK. I don't know of anybody who has yet to do an Arisu tented... maybe if all three of us go yell at Keychron they will? They seem to make every other crazy-rear end layout. The Q11 already exists as a split 75% board, just without any tenting.

Q11 is promising if the switches are hot swappable, I guess I could 3D print some stands to tent it or something

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Its a Rolex posted:

Q11 is promising if the switches are hot swappable, I guess I could 3D print some stands to tent it or something

It's just as programmable and remappable as any other Keychron hotswap board via, uh, VIA.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Its a Rolex posted:

i want two separate pieces. I really like my Mistel, I like the 75% layout, I'm just interested in exploring something a little fancier/possibly more customizable. I could compromise on the 75% but I would like a number row, delete key, and pgup/pgdn

|||KINESISSS Freestyle Pro

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

just buy a kinesis advantage and move on with your life imo

apparently this doesnt have a usb hub on it??? what a bunch of bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

its the fuckin backspace key. On regular keyboards its a stretch for the right pinky to get way up there. On the kinesis, bam, right under your thumb.

I make a gently caress load of typos so this makes sense