Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mediaphage posted:

yeah i know. i assume that aliens who can travel interstellar distances probably also understand their own visual system and perhaps make similar assumptions here and are able to conduct tests

I'm thinking more like they may not know or care what their visual system is.

no reason at all to assume they are aware of the concept of physical annihilation of the self, because the self is a human brain model.

they may be way more confused than us, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

mdemone posted:

my whole thing for a while has been, if they know enough about us to know that the visible light spectrum is our big limitation, it wouldn't be hard to solve that problem

BUT

how would they know that.

maybe those little orbs measure that sort of stuff?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I've always liked the idea most of what we've seen are Von Neumann probes and if life is common then the galaxy is crawling with them. Earth is just constantly getting buzzed by different species' Von Neumann proves and even multiples of the same species that are intersecting our solar system.

It would explain the great variety of shapes, abilities, and behaviors. There's some sick loving planet out their who just loves bovine anus and a different planet of hippie aitee who like making art in crops.

ftl is easy to do and everyone has it except idiots like us

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

probe the (eye)balls

in mute evidence by kagan and summers they interview a mutologist grifter who's claiming that mutilations are US BW testing because "cow eyeballs are closest to 'oriental' eyeballs" and the govt's trying to develop race specific bioweapons, there's a ufologist tagging along with the grifter who they later learn is cia ufologist karl pflock under a pseudonym, made me wonder about shitcoating bw revelations with obvious nonsense in light of jeffrey kaye's current research

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pie in the Sky posted:

The only way to properly probe the mysteries of the eyes is through the rear end.

The third eye, as they call it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everything being made to order sure would explain why there are like 50 different common shapes

Moose King posted:

The "they're made to order" guy also said he never saw anything about the black triangles, so maybe one species does the silver orb/tictac/cigars and a different one does the black triangles?

the made to order alien is telling the client "well I don't make black triangles but my brood mate, Jutlatrx 745, that is all he does"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
When life forms touch their third eyes together they are having spiritual intercourse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

in mute evidence by kagan and summers they interview a mutologist grifter who's claiming that mutilations are US BW testing because "cow eyeballs are closest to 'oriental' eyeballs" and the govt's trying to develop race specific bioweapons,

believing this now thanks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

When life forms touch their third eyes together they are having spiritual intercourse

there was an episode of aeon flux about this except it was swapping eyeballs

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

i refuse to believe that its a single origin phenomenon

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

if they wanna sit me down w/ some space pancakes or w/e thats fine but i still probably wont be convinced

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bedpan posted:

the made to order alien is telling the client "well I don't make black triangles but my brood mate, Jutlatrx 745, that is all he does"

Saucers? Christ no, we haven't made those since the 70s. Haven't you ever seen the crash ratings on those things? They're worse than those human ospreys

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WEH posted:

i refuse to believe that its a single origin phenomenon

what do you mean? the cow mutilations?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

you can't measure the brain response to retinas vibrating under visible light unless you can somehow decode the brain response itself

okay that's a bad sign. have to admit it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

bedpan posted:

believing this now thanks

iirc this is right before doty "gifted" linda howe the scoop on the greys needing cow parts for their dna sickness. throwing poo poo out and seeing what sticks, the post-watergate/anti-cia era was fading away so aliens became a useful tangent

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mdemone posted:

I'm thinking more like they may not know or care what their visual system is.

no reason at all to assume they are aware of the concept of physical annihilation of the self, because the self is a human brain model.

they may be way more confused than us, honestly.

i know this is the thread where people expound mostly about sci-fi stuff but i generally feel like they’re probably going to be more like us than not should they, as a biological race, exist and come to earth

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

bedpan posted:

there was an episode of aeon flux about this except it was swapping eyeballs

Yeah I mean I was talking about the nuts twitter dude who claims animals talk by mushing their pineal glands together

Dumb factoid: There is some paleo evidence that the original state of vertebrates was 4 eyes: the L, R, pineal, & parietal eyes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
& I maintain both species & race are not fundamentally useful concepts outside of their use in human society

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

& I maintain both species & race are not fundamentally useful concepts outside of their use in human society

humanity is the universe leader in race science

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mdemone posted:

you can't measure the brain response to retinas vibrating under visible light unless you can somehow decode the brain response itself

okay that's a bad sign. have to admit it.

they can also look at what we make and make some inferences

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gis ultraviolet photography & infrared photography, it looks crazy, you can look at a car and have no loving idea what the real color of it is

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aliens have come to learn our sciences of phrenology and capitalism

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

what do you mean? the cow mutilations?

whatever this whole current hubbub is about kinda feels like it might end up with them pulling back a curtain and going "it was these guys the whole time!"

i just think theres too much variance in behavior/appearance/etc for it to be just one thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bedpan posted:

Look buddy I'm telling you, saucers and triangles were superceded decades ago. Now, I could make you some, sure, but I'd have to get all the old tooling out and spooled up, rearrange the MCV to make space yadda yadda, this stuff ain't cheap. And all the while I could just be making orbs wholesale, I got other clients, I'd have to bring in a couple more greys probably, what I'm saying is do you really want this? Can't we just make a blob and paint it black for ya?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Gis ultraviolet photography & infrared photography, it looks crazy, you can look at a car and have no loving idea what the real color of it is

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

‘why would anyone even be interested in earth or humanity’ i ask, telling on myself being an incurious imbecile

meanwhile scientists all over earth spend their careers studying the behaviour of a specific subspecies of beetle or the properties of some dirt

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

mdemone posted:

it doesn't really, though. the atmosphere does most of that.

the sun peaks at 5300 angstroms which is green-cyan. there is a huge ultraviolet tail on that distribution.

also a big infrared component.

visible band very small.

giving visible light wavelengths in angstroms is pervert behavior

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

‘why would anyone even be interested in earth or humanity’ i ask, telling on myself being an incurious imbecile

meanwhile scientists all over earth spend their careers studying the behaviour of a specific subspecies of beetle or the properties of some dirt

Then they have to be like yeah this dirt can totally lead to advances in electric cars or medicine or climate change probably idk just don't pull my funding

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

WEH posted:

whatever this whole current hubbub is about kinda feels like it might end up with them pulling back a curtain and going "it was these guys the whole time!"

i just think theres too much variance in behavior/appearance/etc for it to be just one thing

Yeah I still think it's some mix of interdimensional/extraterrestrial/Lockheed Martin

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
climate change isn't "man-made" after all. The oceans are warming because of the ufo factory and all the custom built heavy metals.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

yeah i agree. if theres one theres many. and earth would be fascinating to anyone who knew about it. we spend billions going to dead worlds and some of us are utterly entranced by that.

if they are a coaliton or just different groups is the more important question

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
many humans have various kinds of striped & spotted patterning, we believe this originally served as a form of camouflage

In many cases this was taken over by "clothing"

Wait what they can't see what they look like? woah what the gently caress they think we're all the same color and are clones!?

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

It's getting to the point where I'm already getting really aggravated at brain-dead takes like this:

quote:

Grusch told The Debrief that the government is sure that the alleged recovered debris is not terrestrial because of “the vehicle morphologies and material science testing and the possession of unique atomic arrangements and radiological signatures.” But does he have any proof? So far, the best evidence he’s come up with, besides his own word, is the government’s denial. What Grusch is doing now, along with anyone who takes him at his word, is presenting an outstretched arm and saying, See?

Hey, stupid, the proof he has is classified. It cannot be shown to us at this time without him going straight to jail. It was shown to congress and the ICIG instead, because they can view classified materials. And at least the ICIG saw that proof and said "yeah, this guy has something here."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/06/alien-intact-vehicles-ufo-us-government/674323/

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

From that same author during the 2019 Ukraine thing (I bet):

quote:

Vindman said that the government is doing illegal things in Ukraine because of “a telephone conversation I overheard.” But does he have any proof? So far, the best evidence he’s come up with, besides his own word, is the government’s denial. What Vindman is doing now, along with anyone who takes him at his word, is presenting an outstretched arm and saying, See?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pie in the Sky posted:

It's getting to the point where I'm already getting really aggravated at brain-dead takes like this:

Hey, stupid, the proof he has is classified. It cannot be shown to us at this time without him going straight to jail. It was shown to congress and the ICIG instead, because they can view classified materials. And at least the ICIG saw that proof and said "yeah, this guy has something here."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/06/alien-intact-vehicles-ufo-us-government/674323/

quote:

Before joining in 2015, Marina was a politics and breaking-news reporter at National Journal. She has written for Smithsonian magazine, Psychology Today, Popular Mechanics, and other publications. At The Atlantic, Marina writes about science, with a focus on space exploration.

Her entire career has been writing brain dead takes and entirely deferring to authority and orthodoxy.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

And yes, I went from skeptic to full birdhead in the span of like 3 days here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pie in the Sky posted:

And yes, I went from skeptic to full birdhead in the span of like 3 days here.

Not being devastatingly Neil brained makes this possible yeah

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

The Atlantic are just the dumbest motherfuckers

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

papersack posted:

The Atlantic are just the dumbest motherfuckers

It's very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the slightest possibility of being alive during the reveal of non terrestrial intelligent life has my hair standing on end. feels good, man.

the Atlantic introduced me to Megan McArdle and for that they can never be forgiven.