Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I have another one as well.

Gordie Howe had five seasons in which he fired over 300 shots on goal with a shooting percentage under 10 percent. Had we started measuring shots in goal at the start of his career, he may have had plenty more.

In the modern era, this is more rare for forwards to do. In fact, only three forwards have done it in more than one season. Who are they?

Name the three forwards since the modern era to put up more than one season of 300+ shots on goal and a <10% shooting percentage.

Since this is very hard, I am happy to give a smaller era window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm going to say like... Sami salo

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I'm going to say like... Sami salo

Never had more than 143 shots and he's a defenseman, but close!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe Phil Kessel ? He seems like a guy who throws the puck on net a lot

Edit: Sami Salo was never going to get there, but i feel like it's gotta be someone who had lots of pp time and players were trying to feed, but never quite scored boatloads of goal

Oh just forwards, oops lol

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I know Ray Bourque took a lot of shots, and there's no way he hit 10%.

e: oh, forwards. Duh. I saw Sami Salo and thought we were saying dmen. I will think of this more.

edit 2: maybe Ovechkin did this one year? He had a few low-scoring years, and I am sure he had over 300 shots still.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 7, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe Sundin as well ? One of those years when the Leafs basically played without LW/RW so he had to do it all himself?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Maybe Phil Kessel ? He seems like a guy who throws the puck on net a lot

Edit: Sami Salo was never going to get there, but i feel like it's gotta be someone who had lots of pp time and players were trying to feed, but never quite scored boatloads of goal

Oh just forwards, oops lol

Excellent guess, but Kessel just missed. He did it once in 2010-11 (32g on 325 shots) and came close in 2013-14 (37g on 305 shots for 12.4%) and 2014-15 (25g on 280 shots for 8.9%).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

I know Ray Bourque took a lot of shots, and there's no way he hit 10%.

e: oh, forwards. Duh. I saw Sami Salo and thought we were saying dmen. I will think of this more.

edit 2: maybe Ovechkin did this one year? He had a few low-scoring years, and I am sure he had over 300 shots still.

Ovie did it once in 2010 (32g on 367 shots) and came VERY close multiple years, but did not do it twice.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Maybe Sundin as well ? One of those years when the Leafs basically played without LW/RW so he had to do it all himself?

He did it once in 2006-07 (27g on 321 shots) and came very close in 1995-96 (11% on 301 shots), but he didn't do it either.

Great guesses so far.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm gonna say Al McInnis did it. What about Esposito? Sheldon Souray?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Forwards only. A good amount of D have done it. Espo did it once in 1977 (34g on 344 shots) but that was all.

For amusement: Souray's career high in shots was 268. MacInnis did this five times.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
since you mentioned Gordie Howe and because he’s been on my mind since I watched the Conn Smythe Shift before this years Finals started: Zetterberg? launched a lot and never seemed to make a bunch

either him or some other annoying Red Wing like Brendan Shanahan in some down years

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Did Zetterberg do it? I know he used to shoot the puck a ton. Mikael Samuelsson as well. I know he liked nothing more than decorating the goalie's crest. Not sure he ever got enough ice time per year to hit 300+ shots though. I'll also guess Zach Parise who was a huge volume shooter when he was younger.

Or how about Patric Hornqvist?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok last guess and I'll stop spamming the thread: Rick Nash? I'm trying to think of guys who seem like volume shooters but don't actually make me think of goalscoring

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bard Maddox posted:

since you mentioned Gordie Howe and because he’s been on my mind since I watched the Conn Smythe Shift before this years Finals started: Zetterberg? launched a lot and never seemed to make a bunch

either him or some other annoying Red Wing like Brendan Shanahan in some down years

Zetterberg is correct! He did it in 09-10 (23g on 309 shots) and 10-11 (24g on 306 shots). He also just missed doing it 3 straight years: in 08-09, he had 31g on 309 shots, giving him exactly 10%.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

Did Zetterberg do it? I know he used to shoot the puck a ton. Mikael Samuelsson as well. I know he liked nothing more than decorating the goalie's crest. Not sure he ever got enough ice time per year to hit 300+ shots though. I'll also guess Zach Parise who was a huge volume shooter when he was younger.

Or how about Patric Hornqvist?

Yup, Zetterberg is one of the three.

Samuelsson's career high in shots was 257. Hornqvist's is 265. Parise had two consecutive seasons where he came close but was over the 10% threshold.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Ok last guess and I'll stop spamming the thread: Rick Nash? I'm trying to think of guys who seem like volume shooters but don't actually make me think of goalscoring

Nash came very close as well. He did it once in 11-12 (30g on 306) and was JUST over 10% the year before (32 on 305).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hints: The remaining two players both did it post-2005-06. One is pretty recent and the other is a guy who most people probably had no idea was a reliable 300 shot player in his prime. He just didn't score much. He is also the only player on the list to do it 3 times.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jeff Carter? Corey Perry?

Lecavalier?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pasta and McDavid?

e: Wasnt Hossa a puck firing machine in his prime? Im gonna say him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Jeff Carter? Corey Perry?

Lecavalier?

Carter came close two years but never did it. Vinny was a great guess, he basically came close in 5 or 6 different years but never did it. Perry never got to 300 shots.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Pasta and McDavid?

e: Wasnt Hossa a puck firing machine in his prime? Im gonna say him.

No to all three. Never even did it once between them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I seem to recall Evander Kane being on the league leaderboard for shots while usually scoring 20-something goals, so I'll guess him.

Some other trivia involved Brady Tkachuk taking a lot of shots but his goal totals haven't been huge, so he's my other guess for the current guy.

As for the earlier one, maybe someone from the Devils? Brian Gionta? Jamie Langenbrunner? Brian Rolston?

Oh wait, is it Olli Jokinen?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fawning deference posted:

No to all three. Never even did it once between them.

This one is way harder the more I think about it. I cant imagine many players hit 300 SOG to begin with but I honestly cant remember the last time I looked up SOG at the end of a season so its not like I have a pool of names to draw from. Worse yet, its only D that pop into my head (Karlsson, Buff and Burns :argh:).

One last guess: Jagr?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
probably some sort of Sabre. Jack Eichel or Jeff Skinner?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Zodijackylite posted:

I seem to recall Evander Kane being on the league leaderboard for shots while usually scoring 20-something goals, so I'll guess him.

Some other trivia involved Brady Tkachuk taking a lot of shots but his goal totals haven't been huge, so he's my other guess for the current guy.

As for the earlier one, maybe someone from the Devils? Brian Gionta? Jamie Langenbrunner? Brian Rolston?

Kane did it once in 2017-18 but that's it.

Brady just barely missed this year (35g on 347 shots puts him at 10.1%) and does not have any other 300 shot seasons.

Langenbrunner's career-high shot total was 243. Gionta never had 300 either, but he came really close in 2010-11 with 29 goals on 298 shots (9.7%).

Rolston is an awesome guess but he only did it once (but came really close to doing it several more times). He did it in 2001-02 (31 goals on 331 shots at 9.4%).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

This one is way harder the more I think about it. I cant imagine many players hit 300 SOG to begin with but I honestly cant remember the last time I looked up SOG at the end of a season so its not like I have a pool of names to draw from. Worse yet, its only D that pop into my head (Karlsson, Buff and Burns :argh:).

One last guess: Jagr?

Jagr did it once, in 2006-07 (30g on 324 shots for 9.3%).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bard Maddox posted:

probably some sort of Sabre. Jack Eichel or Jeff Skinner?

Eichel did it in 2018-19 but hasn't come too close since. Skinner's career high is 281 shots.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Loving these guesses!

Some more hints:

The guy who has done it three times put up 300+ shots four years in a row, yet only finished with 213 goals in 12 seasons.

The other guy has done it within the last 8 years and has spent most of his career in the Western Conference.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Zodijackylite posted:

Another great guess but no. He never did it, but came pretty close three straight seasons from 06-08.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Brent Burns?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

Brent Burns?

He's a defenseman. He did do it four times though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He played several seasons at RW.

to contribute: Kovalchuk? Heatley? Brad "Bad" Richards?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Whoops didn’t see you said forwards.

Brady Tkachuk?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Loving these guesses!

Some more hints:

The guy who has done it three times put up 300+ shots four years in a row, yet only finished with 213 goals in 12 seasons.

The other guy has done it within the last 8 years and has spent most of his career in the Western Conference.

second clue makes me want to say timo time

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tyler Seguin maybe? Trying to think of guys who used to compete with Ovechkin with SOG leads

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

He played several seasons at RW.

to contribute: Kovalchuk? Heatley? Brad "Bad" Richards?

Heatley and Kovy scored too much to get too close. Richards never had 300 shots.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

corn on the cop posted:

second clue makes me want to say timo time

Not Timo. He's been respectable close the past 2 years but was over 10 percent.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

Tyler Seguin maybe? Trying to think of guys who used to compete with Ovechkin with SOG leads

Tyler Seguin IS CORRECT. He did it in 2016-17 (26g on 301 shots) and 2018-19 (33g on 334 shots). He came close in 17-18.

That leaves the one player who did it three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Heatley and Kovy scored too much to get too close. Richards never had 300 shots.

Washed up by 29 Dany Heatley never did it? Did he just stop shooting entirely in his seasons where he sadly put up like 22 goals?