Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Skeezy posted:

How would I go about trying to do this lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/14307be/diablo_iv_on_m2_max_using_macos_sonoma_and_game/

Looks like there is step by step in here. Also looks like you don't need Sonoma to get it working.

I would just remind people that blizzard has banned people who used stuff like this to get their games running on linux. So use at your own risk.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's a bummer Blizzard stopped releasing ports on MacOS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I want to do this in Vision Pro but its Homeworl 3

Lol imagine a leisurely walk next to your fleet to keep up with its course.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2023

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

badjohny posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/14307be/diablo_iv_on_m2_max_using_macos_sonoma_and_game/

Looks like there is step by step in here. Also looks like you don't need Sonoma to get it working.

I would just remind people that blizzard has banned people who used stuff like this to get their games running on linux. So use at your own risk.

Wait, what? Why? You’re still paying for the game and playing it. I don’t get that.

This just solved a huge issue for me; which was I wanted to play D4 but not buy a windows gaming machine. But I’m due to upgrade to M1 macs, and this would solve it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Something about bypassing Antichest I’d imagine

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thinking about getting the new 15” air and getting hung up on 8GB vs.16GB options. I don’t video edit / photo edit or anything and mostly just browse safari, twitch, YouTube, work on documents, check emails etc ….

Is there a gooncensus on what’s best? I’m probably going to be using the 15” for 7+ years. Trusty late 2013 retina lasted me for ten years but it can barely load YouTube videos anymore so time to put it out to pasture.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Get as much RAM as you can afford imo

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Entropy238 posted:

getting hung up on 8GB vs.16GB options.

Entropy238 posted:

I’m probably going to be using the 15” for 7+ years.

16Gb, no question.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the 8gb is perfectly usable but i think you’re doing yourself a disservice if you can afford 16gb and don’t get it

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ok thanks guess I’ll go for the 16GB. Not happy about having to fork out an extra 200 to Tim Apple but if it keeps the thing running a bit better / makes it last for a few more years it’s probably worth it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I had the exact same thought when I got my m1 MacBook Pro, and I’ve not regretted going for more RAM in the least.

If $200 isn’t a make it or break it thing for you, absolutely go for it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thread, I could do with some thoughts - so I've got an 11' iPad pro w/magic keyboard, and a Win11 desktop currently. As the ecosystem poison has started to make its way through my bloodstream - iphone/watch/airpods etc, and as I find myself beginning to enjoy the look/feel of Apple's UI's and workflows more, I've decided that I'd quite like to use MacOS as my day to day desktop, and just use the Windows PC hooked up to the TV for video games.

So the crossroads I'm at is that I could either get a mac mini (probably 8gb/256 M2, - or even a refurb M1 - which I think will be fine for my day to day computer use), or I could sell the ipad + MK and use that extra cash to buy an M2 MacBook Air, which you can obviously still use docked as a desktop.

I've got a fairly nice 1440p 144hz screen, and my mechanical keyboard + mouse that I'm happy with. In terms of use case, I type for a living, essentially, and additionally I sometimes produce music for fun, and every now and again edit podcast interviews for work. I don't make visual art or use/own an apple pencil (I had initially been looking at the ipad air, and came upon a good deal on a 128gb pro for the same price, which is how I ended up with an ipad as my main portable computer).

When it comes to the iPad, I do really like the size, and portability, and being able to use it for ebooks, reading in bed as a tablet, but it working well as a note taking/web browsing/email machine on the go.
And the 120hz display, that I'd be losing with the macbook. But on the other side, I'm always aware of the limitations of iPadOS - even though I can do the bulk of my work within them - and I wonder whether that would get more annoying as I get more comfortable using macOS on a desktop alongside it. I don't know. Is MacBook Air-as-everything-device the way to go, or a mac mini as a complement to my iPad pro an elegant solution? Any thoughts appreciated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You're going to miss the utility of the iPad. It can do stuff a MBA simply can't, while it can simulate an MBA enough while you're out and about it sounds like. Keep it, get the Mac mini.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keep it, get the Mac Mini, and remote desktop into your Mac Mini from your iPad to get any "real" work done. I think you'd like the extra performance of the Mac Mini if you want to dabble in music production apps. I hear Logic Pro is great on the iPad, too.

$500 Refurbished M2 Mac Minis are awesome.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 7, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can anyone tell me if a Titan XP Pascal GPU will work in my MP 5,1? I know I can Google this but with how many variations of this card there are and how awful most of the forum discussions are on the topic, I can barely make heads or tails of all the conjecture. Anyway, my buddy is selling one for a nice price and I want to pick it up if it'll work.

Thanks for your time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Entropy238 posted:

Ok thanks guess I’ll go for the 16GB. Not happy about having to fork out an extra 200 to Tim Apple but if it keeps the thing running a bit better / makes it last for a few more years it’s probably worth it.

cop the edu store student discount. they can’t tell.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grumbles posted:

Thread, I could do with some thoughts - so I've got an 11' iPad pro w/magic keyboard, and a Win11 desktop currently. As the ecosystem poison has started to make its way through my bloodstream - iphone/watch/airpods etc, and as I find myself beginning to enjoy the look/feel of Apple's UI's and workflows more, I've decided that I'd quite like to use MacOS as my day to day desktop, and just use the Windows PC hooked up to the TV for video games.

So the crossroads I'm at is that I could either get a mac mini (probably 8gb/256 M2, - or even a refurb M1 - which I think will be fine for my day to day computer use), or I could sell the ipad + MK and use that extra cash to buy an M2 MacBook Air, which you can obviously still use docked as a desktop.

I've got a fairly nice 1440p 144hz screen, and my mechanical keyboard + mouse that I'm happy with. In terms of use case, I type for a living, essentially, and additionally I sometimes produce music for fun, and every now and again edit podcast interviews for work. I don't make visual art or use/own an apple pencil (I had initially been looking at the ipad air, and came upon a good deal on a 128gb pro for the same price, which is how I ended up with an ipad as my main portable computer).

When it comes to the iPad, I do really like the size, and portability, and being able to use it for ebooks, reading in bed as a tablet, but it working well as a note taking/web browsing/email machine on the go.
And the 120hz display, that I'd be losing with the macbook. But on the other side, I'm always aware of the limitations of iPadOS - even though I can do the bulk of my work within them - and I wonder whether that would get more annoying as I get more comfortable using macOS on a desktop alongside it. I don't know. Is MacBook Air-as-everything-device the way to go, or a mac mini as a complement to my iPad pro an elegant solution? Any thoughts appreciated.

If I’m forced to choose, I go with Mac Mini + iPad, but if you can swing an extra $300 then an M1 or even M2 Air will do everything a Mini will do when docked (except save you money lol) but will give you the added benefit of being usable as a laptop if/when the need arises.

My dad was going to buy a Mini and I pushed him toward an Air + display and now he uses his laptop out on the back deck or on the couch or in the kitchen every couple of days. Could he have gotten by with his iPad and a Mac Mini? Sure, but the added QoL has been worth the additional couple hundred bucks to him.

If you plan to do creative work then the portability helps a bit if you want to record/etc somewhere that isn’t your office.

Plus if it’s a work machine then no reason you can’t write it off.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the Mac mini advice!

I suppose my next question - apologiesvfollowing directly on from another RAM discussion - is assuming they are close in price, am I better off getting an M1 Mac mini with 16gb ram, or an M2 mini with 8? The M1/16 being around £50 more.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can you stack EDU discount with Apple Card financing?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ok Comboomer posted:

cop the edu store student discount. they can’t tell.

Or go with a refurb model if one is available with the specs you want. I buy refurbs for family members, they're rock solid. The only difference is a less fancy box. Oh, and whatever component was going to fail early, already did.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Plus if it’s a work machine then no reason you can’t write it off.

Sadly doesn’t work like that over here! (You can only do so if self employed, which I’m not)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 8, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I think so…

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks for the Mac mini advice!

I suppose my next question - apologiesvfollowing directly on from another RAM discussion - is assuming they are close in price, am I better off getting an M1 Mac mini with 16gb ram, or an M2 mini with 8? The M1/16 being around £50 more.
If you can I'd wait to see if any of the M2 Pro models pop up in the refurb store. They'll be a little more expensive but they're 16GB/512GB by default, the processor is quite a bit more powerful, they can push 3 external screens and the HDMI port is a proper 2.1 port.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Even as refurb, the pro model would be way too expensive for me.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Grumbles posted:

Even as refurb, the pro model would be way too expensive for me.
In that case I'd say get the M1 with the higher RAM. There's essentially no observable performance difference between the M1 and M2 CPUs of the same spec but doubling the RAM will mean the computer will last a lot longer going forwards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imma probably get a new Mac and VP when the VP comes out next year so yeah.....financing. Unless I can trick my work to pay for it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mister Speaker posted:

Can anyone tell me if a Titan XP Pascal GPU will work in my MP 5,1? I know I can Google this but with how many variations of this card there are and how awful most of the forum discussions are on the topic, I can barely make heads or tails of all the conjecture. Anyway, my buddy is selling one for a nice price and I want to pick it up if it'll work.

Thanks for your time.

Do a search for nVidia Mac web drivers, nVidia released drivers supporting that card back in 2017

The catch is they only work in macOS High Sierra 10.13, anything higher and they won't work

This also means every time you boot you won't see anything on your screen until the OS finishes loading

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Grumbles posted:

Geta Mini for misc bullshit at home, and keep the iPad for portability. Airdrop lets you quickly transfer files and such if you need to.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Binary Badger posted:

Do a search for nVidia Mac web drivers, nVidia released drivers supporting that card back in 2017

The catch is they only work in macOS High Sierra 10.13, anything higher and they won't work

This also means every time you boot you won't see anything on your screen until the OS finishes loading

Thanks for responding. So I might have to downgrade my OS for the Pascal to work? EDIT: According to this website it's a no-go, if the card is indeed a Pascal. I wonder if it's even worth trying, or if I should just try to find an inexpensive GTX Titan.

I'm fine with not seeing anything on my screen. When I had the RX580 in there, I didn't get the Mac boot chime either. :( And despite the fact that my boot drive is a NVMe SSD on the motherboard, some component or peripheral in the mix (maybe the RX580) makes my startup take something like three minutes.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 8, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Base Refurbished m1 14 pro for $1545 or something is the best overall deal on the website. Or a new one from Costco for I think $1599.

And you can get crazy deals on m1 and m2 mini, and a dock with front facing ports for under a $100

Yeah I was looking at those, but I must be misremembering, because I thought they were all 8GB, but seems 16GB is the minimum. Part of the reason I want to upgrade is I increasingly get this error messages on my mini, sometimes even having to reboot.

Another reason is I want to clean up my desk. Upgrading my monitor from 27" to 34" has left my desk feeling kind of cluttered, and I am still not sure how I want to rearrange it. :sweatdrop: I might just wait for the M3 computers to come out and go big.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Saslu doesn’t work like that over here! (You can only do so if self employed, which I’m not)

You can’t even do that over here much anymore - it’s difficult to get out of the standard deduction unless you itemize a boatload of things.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Shaocaholica posted:

Just did.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Robot Jones posted:

It was a mistake to not release the Mac Pro with PCIe Gen 5 and CXL support.

PCIe 3.0 spec had been released in 2010, yet the Mac Pro 2013 shipped with basically Apple's PCIe 2.1 implementation.

My opinion is that Apple waits until controllers for a certain spec are super rock solid before they'll adopt it, although I think they waited way too long to put even USB 3 in as a standard.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I was looking at those, but I must be misremembering, because I thought they were all 8GB, but seems 16GB is the minimum. Part of the reason I want to upgrade is I increasingly get this error messages on my mini, sometimes even having to reboot.

Another reason is I want to clean up my desk. Upgrading my monitor from 27" to 34" has left my desk feeling kind of cluttered, and I am still not sure how I want to rearrange it. :sweatdrop: I might just wait for the M3 computers to come out and go big.

Switch it up from native apps to web and pick a browser.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I ain’t no math guy but that’s only like 1.5 gigs of ram.

What’s taking up the rest?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

A singular 12GP pixel photo of goatse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I was thinking the same.... does his laptop only have 2 or 4GB of RAM or something?

I hate how much Apple upcharges on additional RAM/storage, and 8GB base on the 15" MBA definitely seems a little low, but I have to imagine it will be fine for the vast majority of users. I run a lot of graphics-heavy apps and run way too many menubar third party apps in the background and my 2018 MBP uses 12GB or so.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone know if they make Mac Mini docks that are just…normal USB non-C ones for the pre-M1 based models? Everything I find seems to specifically target the newer silicon ones or at best, the 2018 Intel ones, and absolutely nothing in the same form factor for anything older.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
Because a single USB3 doesn't really have the bandwidth to do what you're asking for. Single 1080 display output via USB3 is just about all it can do.

So...what exactly are you trying to do with this ancient machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Maybe dock was too vague of a word to use, but I'm looking for, essentially, a hub that is just styled to look like a slim Mac Mini. I don't necessarily need any of the display, charging, or ethernet capabilities of a standard dock, just want some ports in the front. The Mac Mini is just a device to use whenever I need Windows or Linux or an older version of macOS.