Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I like Mangold just fine as a director but even if we'd found out that Stanley Kubrick somehow had faked his death and was returning to direct an Indy movie, it'd still be a bummer because for me Indy is synonymous with Spielberg and finding out that he'd bowed out for this one pretty much killed my interest.

oh his indy movie is gonna be absolute dogshit no question lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh his indy movie is gonna be absolute dogshit no question lol

That trailer screencap of billionaire heiress Phoebe Waller-Bridge saying “I stole it from you, that’s capitalism!” is incredible stuff.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
https://youtu.be/8MuP8w-0O24

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bryan Singer is self financing a documentary about metoo

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That trailer screencap of billionaire heiress Phoebe Waller-Bridge saying “I stole it from you, that’s capitalism!” is incredible stuff.

I never had more of an urge to stick a revolver into my rectum and open fire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Bryan Singer is self financing a documentary about metoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkhT0pwyfM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Timby posted:

The hell? The only Mangold movie that I think is mediocre is Kate & Leopold, and again, even that's just mediocre and a perfectly passable romantic comedy.

Logan, Ford v. Ferrari and 3:10 to Yuma are fantastic.

Mangold directed Identity.

Also The Wolverine is garbage. Logan is overrated and really falls apart after Eriq La Salle leaves the movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think there's a single drop of blood in the Wolverine movie. Unforgivable! And the terrible train scene.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1666193012580311064?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

It’s Morbin Time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Recently been watching Altman's movies and what I considered being the American moviemaking style in the 70s prob was just all Altman's movies.

this Free Solo remake sucks

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

think that miiiight be my favorite of the '90s Gamera trilogy but as i was saying over in the kaiju thread recently, any one of the three can make an argument for being the best one. suit effects in that are unreal.

Pan’s Labyrinth is the last unreservedly good one, I will go to bat for Crimson Peak as Pretty Good but sadly pale before its inspirations. All the others since were pretty mid with a few interesting flourishes. I haven’t seen pinnochio.

Escobarbarian posted:

Logan is one of the most overrated movies of the last decade

Amongst a certain kind of person, absolutely. Entirely :geno:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Crimson Peak was weak, I might have liked it more but there were too many references to the devil's backbone. Like what are you doing GDT?? Don't remind me I could be watching your much better movie!

Nightmare Alley is his new one that I'd argue is ok. Def better than bloodmud house. Still gotta see shape of water, the awards make me leery . .

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 8, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Crimson Peak gets a lot of points from me for having some really cool sets but it's definitely 20-30 minutes too long and they don't show the cool ghosts enough.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
just got out of a screening of Shadow Of The Vampire. appropriate Nic Cage produced it because it feels like a spiritual sibling to Vampire's Kiss

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Del Toro’s Nightmare Alley was in some ways everything i want from a neo-noir and in other ways everything i don’t want from a neo-noir

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Blood Boils posted:

Still gotta see shape of water, the awards make me leery . .

Sally Hawkins alone makes it worth watching. She's a goddamn global treasure. I don't think I've ever regretted watching a movie that she was in.

*remembers Godzilla: King of Monsters*

Oh... drat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steen71 posted:

Sally Hawkins alone makes it worth watching. She's a goddamn global treasure. I don't think I've ever regretted watching a movie that she was in.

*remembers Godzilla: King of Monsters*

Oh... drat.

Every great actor has been in a bad movie, Michael Caine missed accepting an Oscar in person because he was filming Jaws 4.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yi Yi (2000) is incredible. I know it's not exactly an unheard of film among cinema circles, but it absolutely deserves to be canonised.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It made it to the top 100 of last year’s Sight & Sound list! As did the equally incredible A Brighter Summer Day. Masterpieces imo

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Air Skwirl posted:

Every great actor has been in a bad movie

Well, that - or they have to die tragically early. John Cazale, James Dean... I'm sure there are others.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steen71 posted:

Well, that - or they have to die tragically early. John Cazale, James Dean... I'm sure there are others.

We need more artists dying at just the right age. Like John Lennon, whose entire artistic output would have had a dark shadow cast over it by the rap album he would've released in 1992.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

We need more artists dying at just the right age. Like John Lennon, whose entire artistic output would have had a dark shadow cast over it by the rap album he would've released in 1992.

It's fine, we have AI to generate that lost album now

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My name's John Lennon and I'm here to say/imagine the world, in a different way

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

I dunno, people still think of the Beach Boys pretty fondly even with the stink of the current incarnation and Brian Wilson's delightful rap album.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yikes, imagine if tom waits had died young.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Yikes, imagine if tom waits had died young.

Tom Waits' rap album was great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rot eternal, you vile bigot

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1666778540308668422

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

Dee Dee Ramone released at least one pretty dire rap song, and people still love The Ramones (or at least the first few albums)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAl-xzN8e-M

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Funky Man is bad, but it is nowhere near the absolute shittiness of Smart Girls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah I don't think you guys are really considering how bad John Lennon's rap would have been. We're not talking Debbie Harry's Rapture here, we're talking Steven Seagal's Reggae album

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Tom Waits' rap album was great.

I think about it everytime I'm cookin' up a Filipino boxspring hog

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

John Lennon released a terrible retro-rock album with him dressed like a greaser on the cover like five years before he died. Nobody gave a poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Funky Man is bad, but it is nowhere near the absolute shittiness of Smart Girls.

I was not prepared :holymoley:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

John Lennon released a terrible retro-rock album with him dressed like a greaser on the cover like five years before he died. Nobody gave a poo poo.

To be fair that photo was taken when the Beatles were greasers living in Hamburg in 1960.

The album was still bad.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the new transformers plot is on the Wikipedia article and i'm sorry but that end credits stinger is some garbage lmao

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

man, I loved Pearl so much which was semi surprising because I thought X was not very good (although part of me wonders if i would feel differently if i watched them in the opposite order). would make a fun double feature with May.

X, like almost every slasher movie, is simply not very interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The interesting part is the gags

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Horizon Burning posted:

the new transformers plot is on the Wikipedia article and i'm sorry but that end credits stinger is some garbage lmao

It’s very funny that transformers fans are so convinced that transformers movies being bad is some fluke curse michael bay put on them that they’ll shake any day now, and not something inherent to transformers itself just being a bad series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Transformers comics specifically were huge in the UK, like Archie Sonic the Hedgehog levels of extended universe bullshit. So they have an inflated idea of the series' importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Baron von Eevl posted:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I was not prepared :holymoley:

This music video makes it a lot better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0SnpN_O00