Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My rear tire is wearing out and I'm looking for something new.

I have an enduro e-MTB, with an 29x2.5" Maxxis Assegai + 27x2.5" Maxxis Aggressor combination. Both are these MaxGrip DD variants. I'm now looking at an Dissector for the rear. But as MaxTerra version, i.e. less rolling resistance.

As far as I can tell, Maxxis advertises their DD carcass for e-bike use. Yet only the 2.4" WT Dissector is available as DD, and furthermore, only as MaxGrip variant. Which is what I don't want. The 2.6" I'm eyeing is "only" available as EXO+. Does that really matter vs. DD, when riding rough terrain, i.e. roots and rocks? I'm not really jumping this thing, I'm too old for this poo poo. And if I attempt it, it's child's play kickers and such.

That said, the 2023 version of my bike ships with EXO+ tires, so I guess that answers the question by itself?

The rolling resistance reduction is mostly for the days I ride to work (75% roads). And IMO, this thing rolls like poo poo when coasting, which is probably due to the soft tire compounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Looking at the Maxxis website, DH and DD casings are only available with MaxGrip, with Exo and Exo+ casings coming in MaxTerra.
Honestly, you should be fine with either one.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/dissector/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

My rear tire is wearing out and I'm looking for something new.

I have an enduro e-MTB, with an 29x2.5" Maxxis Assegai + 27x2.5" Maxxis Aggressor combination. Both are these MaxGrip DD variants. I'm now looking at an Dissector for the rear. But as MaxTerra version, i.e. less rolling resistance.

As far as I can tell, Maxxis advertises their DD carcass for e-bike use. Yet only the 2.4" WT Dissector is available as DD, and furthermore, only as MaxGrip variant. Which is what I don't want. The 2.6" I'm eyeing is "only" available as EXO+. Does that really matter vs. DD, when riding rough terrain, i.e. roots and rocks? I'm not really jumping this thing, I'm too old for this poo poo. And if I attempt it, it's child's play kickers and such.

That said, the 2023 version of my bike ships with EXO+ tires, so I guess that answers the question by itself?

The rolling resistance reduction is mostly for the days I ride to work (75% roads). And IMO, this thing rolls like poo poo when coasting, which is probably due to the soft tire compounds.

I wouldn't go for maxxgrip if you don't need it, the tire won't last nearly as long. If you're riding 75% roads I honestly think just get whatever lightweight casing you aren't going to be testing it's puncture resistance etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The route to work is 75% roads, however not the total. There’s plenty of forest to be ridden, outside of riding to work.

Also turns out the Aggressor is dual compound “only”, which is equivalent to MaxTerra?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My daughter has been picking up mountain biking starting to follow in my footsteps, about to turn 7 (but she's tiny, hence the 20" - I also have a 4yr old I'm hoping to pass it to).

We're scheduled for a kid's downhill clinic at the downhill park, so I picked her up a full sus in prep; delivery is scheduled for today and I'm stoked to get her out on it this wek

https://us.earlyrider.com/products/hellion-x20?variant=39606923657348

Mainly posting here because my wife couldnt care less about bikes and I'm fuckin pumped that she's so into (zero pressure comes from me)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Combat Pretzel posted:

The route to work is 75% roads, however not the total. There’s plenty of forest to be ridden, outside of riding to work.

Also turns out the Aggressor is dual compound “only”, which is equivalent to MaxTerra?

Dual compound is the hardest but least grippy compound. Then there's 3c maxx speed (for xc tires), 3c maxx terra, 3c maxx grip, and super tacky, in that order of hard to soft (well actually i'm not sure how DC and maxx speed compare- maybe similar). The "3c" are also 3 compound tires, which is a harder base under a softer outer layer with a 3rd, softer compound for the cornering knobs.

Generally going one step grippier up front works fine and improves rolling resistance and tire life. For example a 3c maxx terra minion dhf on the front wheel and an aggressor DC rear is a very common tire combination.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 6, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Too many compounds, maxxis. For a dummy like me I really like bontragers system of 1-5 in increasing grip by number.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Walked posted:

My daughter has been picking up mountain biking starting to follow in my footsteps, about to turn 7 (but she's tiny, hence the 20" - I also have a 4yr old I'm hoping to pass it to).

We're scheduled for a kid's downhill clinic at the downhill park, so I picked her up a full sus in prep; delivery is scheduled for today and I'm stoked to get her out on it this wek

Mainly posting here because my wife couldnt care less about bikes and I'm fuckin pumped that she's so into (zero pressure comes from me)

Thank you for making me feel better about the $700 I just spent on my kids 24” bike.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Suburban Dad posted:

Too many compounds, maxxis. For a dummy like me I really like bontragers system of 1-5 in increasing grip by number.

I think it took me longer to understand all the different brand's different tyre compounds than it did to understand all my different suspension settings.

Walked posted:

Oh this loving RULES. Your daughter is so lucky!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How hard is swapping pedals? Can I, a guy who's done zero bike maintenance, handle it without loving anything up?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You may need a thinner wrench but it's easy. Understand that the left pedal is reverse-threaded, so righty is loosey on that side. It can help to use a block on the other side to keep the crank from spinning while you apply torque.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

prom candy posted:

How hard is swapping pedals? Can I, a guy who's done zero bike maintenance, handle it without loving anything up?

It’s pretty easy, we believe in you. The trick is that the thread direction is different for each side. But if you just remember that turning towards the front of the bike will tighten them, and the reverse is true.

Use the cranks for leverage and just be careful about bashing your knuckles into the chanting. You can wear leather/work gloves for some protection.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also if you've got some, put a little bit of grease on the new pedal threads so they don't seize up and become a nightmare to try and get off again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aphex- posted:

Also if you've got some, put a little bit of grease on the new pedal threads so they don't seize up and become a nightmare to try and get off again.

Any old grease will do?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Definitely. I bought this e-MTB like a year ago. Before that, I was like 12 years out of it. Before that there wasn't this much choice in components.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

prom candy posted:

Any old grease will do?

yeah, standard automotive grease is fine, a tub will last you decades. I use waterproof marine grease

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just posting this because I didn't see anyone else mention it: pedals of a certain quality and up will have an allen key recess in the end of them (in the part that you see on the backside of the crank). It can be a lot easier to remove pedals if you can just smash an allen key in the back of them with no pedal wrench involved.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Walked posted:

THis is rad AF. Our oldest also rides an ER and likes it a bunch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

God I hope it pours rain at WC1 so I can see Finn Iles wearing this on his helmet:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I hope that snaps off really easily

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nocheez posted:

You may need a thinner wrench but it's easy. Understand that the left pedal is reverse-threaded, so righty is loosey on that side. It can help to use a block on the other side to keep the crank from spinning while you apply torque.

I believe the pro-tip I saw somewhere online was, both pedals loosen toward the rear of the bike, tighten toward the front. Something like that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Out of curiosity, anyone else had a kid take a really deep interest in mountain biking early? How did you support? My aim is never to be the parent to pushes my own interests / forces sports that arent jiving. But this kid basically asks to ride daily, spends off days self-working technique in our yard, and clearly _wants_ to be pushing herself.

So far I've set her up with the Little Bellas (national youth girls mtb club) for a 12 week, weekly girls mtb camp.
I've also set her up with a kids-oriented (age 6-9 only) downhill clinic at the nearby Downhill park in a few weeks.

Beyond that we've been riding a lot and progressing into some genuinely solid singletrack (mainly just whenever she asks which is like 2-4 times a week), working on body position and bike handling skills (which tbh while she doesn't have the power, her bike control is absurd for her age)

Anyone else gone down this road? What did you do to cultivate a good foundation and interest? Would it be worth getting a couple hours with a coach at her age? I know every hour I've spent with a coach as an adult has paid itself back in safety and confidence, but I'm not sure how young this scales.

But again to clarify, I'm letting her drive her engagement into the sport just about 100% (beyond me picking trails/progression and asking if she wants to do X, Y, Z things

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I don't have kids so I can't answer that, just wanted to say you are a rad dad and I wish I had that type of support from mine in my hobbies/interests as a kid.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My kid likes to ride but is a bit of a lazy rear end so I have to tow-whee him up all the climbs. Be careful about letting a kid focus on a single sport too young. Lots of stuff out there on how it’s a bad idea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walked posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone else had a kid take a really deep interest in mountain biking early? How did you support? My aim is never to be the parent to pushes my own interests / forces sports that arent jiving. But this kid basically asks to ride daily, spends off days self-working technique in our yard, and clearly _wants_ to be pushing herself.

So far I've set her up with the Little Bellas (national youth girls mtb club) for a 12 week, weekly girls mtb camp.
I've also set her up with a kids-oriented (age 6-9 only) downhill clinic at the nearby Downhill park in a few weeks.

Beyond that we've been riding a lot and progressing into some genuinely solid singletrack (mainly just whenever she asks which is like 2-4 times a week), working on body position and bike handling skills (which tbh while she doesn't have the power, her bike control is absurd for her age)

Anyone else gone down this road? What did you do to cultivate a good foundation and interest? Would it be worth getting a couple hours with a coach at her age? I know every hour I've spent with a coach as an adult has paid itself back in safety and confidence, but I'm not sure how young this scales.

But again to clarify, I'm letting her drive her engagement into the sport just about 100% (beyond me picking trails/progression and asking if she wants to do X, Y, Z things

I can actually speak to this as the kid I think. Growing up in Vancouver during the start of modern MTB really helped shape a lot of this so it's luck I would say as much as anything my parents did, but briefly:

I started riding bikes around whatever normal age, maybe 6-7, until around age 9-10 or so this was just going with my parents. I can't remember any time in my life where I did not have a bike! I was very lucky to have an extremely extensive local MTB skill park and system of trails that was actively developed my entire childhood (and still is to this day). My parents were extremely supportive in a general sense and always made sure I had a bike that was roughly the right size for me, but these were always used bikes and my dad would always help me work on it - I think this was super important. I ended up meeting friends at the local skills park and this really pushed my level, some of these people are still professional riders although I have completely lost touch with them. I started racing downhill and dual slalom around age 13 with a few of these friends, my parents made an active effort to reach out to the other parents and to coordinate in getting us to the races, at the start of every season we had each race planned out in terms of camping, who would drive us, etc. I continued to race DH in the BC Cup and Canada Cup races that were in BC for 4-6 years until I started working more in the summers and it became a bit too much.

When I was racing I had mechanical failures basically every single race because I was using whatever bike at the time, relying on money from birthdays and xmas basically. I'd have some XC bike that would snap, I'd get a crash replacement frame that would be about the same thing, it would also break, etc. My dad eventually got me a used but decent DH frame very late in my racing career, which was fantastic and honestly the only thing I would have changed is that I think that should have /could have come a lot sooner. We were upper middle class but my dad had a huge thing about not throwing money at us, which is respectable but ultimately harmful in this specific case. To put it in context he was already taking weeks of his own time every year getting myself and my friends to races, and probably paying for at least some of my race license fees and that kinda thing, and it almost always ended up being a waste in terms of results. After the frame, I still had constant DNF mechanical failures from my brakes or drivetrain failing during race runs. Bikes these days are a lot better than they were (and more reliable) but one of my biggest things to recommend as a parent is to have a minimum level of bike that you're comfortable with your child riding. I was constantly getting injured trying to race DH on an XC bike with 2" travel elastomer forks. No I'm not kidding, this is the end of a Whistler DH run and the two bikes in the shot almost look photoshopped together:

I think you're already doing all the right things and probably have a good internal barometer about what's appropriate. I think it's fantastic you're getting her into some camps - this is really huge for growth, I was in a couple camps but generally they weren't at the level that they are these days. I think making an effort to network with other parents to coordinate getting the kids out on bikes together is important at that age so she can keep in touch with the friends she'll make.

To n8r's point, I can't really speak to it as I was playing a lot of hockey and lacrosse at the same time as biking.

e: Oh yeah the other big thing I was going to suggest is that there are a LOT of fantastic role models in the DH world (and surely in other MTB disciplines) racing in both men and women's categories. I think she'd absolutely love it if you watched some of the racing with her, which actually starts like right now with the first one of the year. Coverage is on Discovery+ and I'm not sure how to watch it, probably on their website? One of the things I think she (and you) will like the most is the supportive nature of the sport even at that level, especially with the women riders you can tell they're all just wanting to see each other do well.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 9, 2023

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks to you both.

To the point of not over-focusing - totally agree; she's involved in at least one local recreational sport per season cycle and has a few other pursuits she picks up and down; we remain super flexible as parents with the main rule being if you commit to a season / team - you see that through even if youre not into it

Good call on the having her do some work on it; she's helping "build" her new bike later today already, so that's in the cards. She previously helped with swapping knobby tires onto her 16" REI bike :)

Really do appreciate the input - networking with other parents is high on my priority list too, and I'm hoping the upcoming camp is a big assist there

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walked posted:

Thanks to you both.

To the point of not over-focusing - totally agree; she's involved in at least one local recreational sport per season cycle and has a few other pursuits she picks up and down; we remain super flexible as parents with the main rule being if you commit to a season / team - you see that through even if youre not into it

Good call on the having her do some work on it; she's helping "build" her new bike later today already, so that's in the cards. She previously helped with swapping knobby tires onto her 16" REI bike :)

Really do appreciate the input - networking with other parents is high on my priority list too, and I'm hoping the upcoming camp is a big assist there

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

I found this pinkbike link which describes how to watch the world cup DH this year (and other riding)

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/how-to-watch-uci-downhill-enduro-xc-mountain-bike-world-cup-racing-2023.html

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Andrew Major has written a lot of kids bike content for NSMB and on his blog.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

My kid likes to ride but is a bit of a lazy rear end so I have to tow-whee him up all the climbs. Be careful about letting a kid focus on a single sport too young. Lots of stuff out there on how it’s a bad idea.
Time to ebike it up.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

pinarello dogman posted:

Andrew Major has written a lot of kids bike content for NSMB and on his blog.

Thank you; good stuff :)

Unrelated: today on the trail I had a pretty scary moment with a deer; a doe and fawn just kinda walked near me until the doe saw me, at which point it bolted (but the fawn didnt follow). The deer came back for the fawn, but instead of bolting a second time it started making some weird mouth noises I'd never heard and then legit charged at me; fortunately the charge was slow at first (while she was still in the brush) so it was easy enough to clear her; but I'd never heard of a doe being aggressive without provocation before (though admittedly in its mind it probably was provoked)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I took my daughters (3 and 5) to the pump track today. They both face planted almost immediately but got back up and had a great time. :3:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I took my daughters (3 and 5) to the pump track today. They both face planted almost immediately but got back up and had a great time. :3:

My 3 year old loves a pump track on his balance bike and his 19 month old sister is desperate to join him. She hasn't figured out sitting on the saddle properly yet but she walked down the first slope today straddling her wooden bike with a massive grin on her face. I was hoping we'd get the older one onto a pedal bike sooner so we could hand his Islabike Rothan down but it looks like I need to find something second hand or cheap as a stopgap for a couple of months.

As an aside, I've been really impressed with how considerate everyone is with young children at pump tracks, even teenagers who are clearly having to make way for them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'3" how realistic is it that we could buy one mountain bike that would more or less work for us both?

I've gone out to the local trails a few times now on my old 98 fully rigid trek 800 (drop bar converted) and I'd kind of like a real mountain bike, and my wife is also excited to give it a shot as a fearless downhill skier and exercise enthusiast. She's also 6mo pregnant, so she wouldn't be riding a lot until next summer, and our thought was that we get her a bike that I can also ride, and then next year either get another or I go back to the trek. I was hoping a size S with a dropper post would more or less let this work, and even if the bike is a touch small for me it's probably still more appropriate than a fully rigid drop bar bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Possible. Try a S frame to see how it goes to start, I guess. Easier for you to go smaller than her bigger most likely.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hei hei got some new things

seems neat

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

hei hei got some new things

seems neat

That bike just looks like a lot of fun. Some bikes, you look at them and you can almost feel them under you if that makes sense, that bike looks like it's super responsive and playful.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah it's been pretty good. handles everything I do from wed night xc to big rides in the mountains to 100mi mtb races. When I got this it just felt too heavy and sluggish coming from a light carbon hardtail, but dropping some weight and getting the suspension set up better has helped a lot. Now that I have a hardtail again I still race this depending on the course. And it goes over steeper and rougher stuff ok too.

That new oiz seems neat but in the end it's not actually all that different from what I'm riding. Could save like 2-3 lbs maybe though if i'd sold this and not built the new hardtail and probably wouldn't have even spent as much money in the end? But this is cool. The new trek is cool for smoother trails and lots of climbing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

lol I hope that snaps off really easily

TIlt your head up 2 degrees too many and instantly catch the airstream and snap your neck clean off.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Another stupid question: I got my bike fitted in the shop and the guy pulled out the protractor and said my leg angle looked good but I've consistently felt like it was just a bit too low. Today I raised it up about a half inch and it feels better. Should I stick with the professional opinion or does "feels better" trump that when we're talking about fairly small adjustments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

prom candy posted:

Another stupid question: I got my bike fitted in the shop and the guy pulled out the protractor and said my leg angle looked good but I've consistently felt like it was just a bit too low. Today I raised it up about a half inch and it feels better. Should I stick with the professional opinion or does "feels better" trump that when we're talking about fairly small adjustments?

Do what feels better so long as it doesn’t cause you injury or pain when riding IMO.