Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that the ball bot?

*looks it up*

its not?? drat execs are stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

it was awful hating 8 and finding the only people who agreed with me were effectively Nazis

Lol, I had the same problem with the Netflix Master's of the Universe series, Revelations. Like I hated the Teela redesign but that was mostly because it completely clashed with the characters who were still showing up in their classic outfits.

Phylodox posted:

Best thing about Rise of Skywalker was when I told my wife that there was no Baby Yoda merchandise because someone in Disney corporate thought the D-0 droid would be the big moneymaker and she replied “You thought the toy aisles would be full of Baby Yodas, but it was me, D-0.”

Their excuse for no Baby Yoda merch was that they wanted the character reveal to be a surprise but that doesn't explain why it took them so long to actually start putting it out.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I think it was because they were blindsided by Baby Yoda's popularity.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the best part of modern star wars is herzog calling them out

quote:

After a take using the puppet, the crew got ready for another take without the puppet “in case they decided during postproduction that the puppet wasn’t convincing enough and a digital version had to be substituted.”

quote:

Herzog had a reaction that is instantly iconic: “You are cowards,” the director said. “Leave it.”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lady Radia posted:

it was awful hating 8 and finding the only people who agreed with me were effectively Nazis

I felt the same way.
There I am, salty because it felt like Johnson took a huge steaming poo poo on Luke Skywalker and did everything he could to turn him into a sad, scared, shell of a man who got spooked so badly by a loving sock puppet account that he turned his nephew to the dark side and got all of his padawans murdered in the span of an evening, but then all I see are people raging and foaming at the mouth because Rey was allowed to be good at literally anything (which obviously made her a Mary Sue), or completely apoplectic that Kelly Marie Tran exists.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alaois posted:

i feel like people are forgetting that Palpatine coming back to life happened in Fortnite and the opening text crawl of episode 9 referenced this

Wait, what? Oh my God, that's even worse than the opening of uhhh The Revenge of the Sith requiring knowledge of that Cline Wars cartoon.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

muscles like this! posted:

Their excuse for no Baby Yoda merch was that they wanted the character reveal to be a surprise but that doesn't explain why it took them so long to actually start putting it out.

Wasn’t there also a concern that one of the manufacturers might accidentally leak Baby Yoda, so they didn’t even start production of merchandise until it’d been revealed on screen?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Accidentally.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arivia posted:

Don’t forget you can find out how Palpatine returned in a cross-media promotion with fuckin Fortnite.

e:f,b.

Alaois posted:

i feel like people are forgetting that Palpatine coming back to life happened in Fortnite and the opening text crawl of episode 9 referenced this

Mad Hamish posted:

Wait, what? Oh my God, that's even worse than the opening of uhhh The Revenge of the Sith requiring knowledge of that Cline Wars cartoon.

NO HE DIDN'T. THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED. That is literally not what happened.

We already knew Palpatine was coming back. He was at the convention that announced the movie and his laugh was at the end of the original trailer.

You want to know what happened in Fortnite? The Millenium Falcon came down, JJ Abrams came out, and showed a clip from the movie. Then he talked about great the movie was going to be, got back in the Falcon, and was chased off by Imperial ships. Then Palaptine's voice came up saying 'THE DAY OF THE SITH IS AT HAND LOL gently caress THE JEDI' and everyone got a lightsaber to fight with.

I get that hating on Fortnite is popular but there's a whole of actual things to complain about with Episode 9, we don't have to believe a lie about what happened in Fortnite if we want to complain about the movie. :argh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vandar posted:

We already knew Palpatine was coming back. He was at the convention that announced the movie and his laugh was at the end of the original trailer.

You want to know what happened in Fortnite? The Millenium Falcon came down, JJ Abrams came out, and showed a clip from the movie. Then he talked about great the movie was going to be, got back in the Falcon, and was chased off by Imperial ships. Then Palaptine's voice came up saying 'THE DAY OF THE SITH IS AT HAND LOL gently caress THE JEDI' and everyone got a lightsaber to fight with.

I get that hating on Fortnite is popular but there's a whole of actual things to complain about with Episode 9, we don't have to believe a lie about what happened in Fortnite if we want to complain about the movie. :argh:

lol what the gently caress is this post?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

sorry pal, it happened in Fortnite, i was there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vandar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0ejXC7kFs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The thing that happened in the title crawl happened in fortnite dude

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No no you see palpatine didn't come back in fortnite, something much more elaborate and cringey happened in fortnite, and then palpatine's voice was broadcast to all players. You see??? He didn't come back in fortnite, they just had him be there without him actually coming back ever!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

the Clone Wars mini series cartoon is good though? great Genndy Tartakovsky stuff.

Also probably the only time General Grievous is badass and threatening . (havent since much of the other cgi toons, maybe some Star Wars nerd can correct me)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You don’t need to know what happened in the cartoon. The crawl says it all. Palpatine got napped by a robot man and anakin and obi wan are saving him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PhazonLink posted:

Also probably the only time General Grievous is badass and threatening . (havent since much of the other cgi toons, maybe some Star Wars nerd can correct me)
A little but not as much as in the previous one.

They also realised that it was really awkward to have him not able to meet one of the main characters so he is in far less of the show than you might expect.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its very important we know that Windu

1) can take on a whole droid army without a saber because he's just that awesome. (also the force dis assemble is cool as eff and would be cool in "liveaction" cgi)
2) he force crushed GG's chest and thats why he jobs in episode 3.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Related, I rewatched the Nic Cage action move Con Air recently and it struck me how Steve Buscemi's insane serial killer character is coded as being super scary and dangerous throughout the first half of the film but in the second half he gets treated as if his character has been redeemed and is given a stereotypical 'happy' ending at a table at Vegas cheerfully gambling away someone else's money and sipping on a cocktail.

Wading through the starwar chat here to say I'm glad someone else notices this weird feature of Con Air (as well as the idea that a bunch of lifer criminals are going to all pull together as a team, and not instantly run away/stab each other in the back the second they get a chance). But Steve B, yeah. What are we meant to think when he's taking tea with the little girl? That he's being redeemed somehow? By the way, that is not a sweet little girl, she looks like a total demon urchin in a blasted-out hellscape, maybe Steve B was creeped out and scared straight by the whole thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zaroff posted:

Wasn’t there also a concern that one of the manufacturers might accidentally leak Baby Yoda, so they didn’t even start production of merchandise until it’d been revealed on screen?

Transformers toys have been showing that toy leaks are very real.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Phylodox posted:

Best thing about Rise of Skywalker was when I told my wife that there was no Baby Yoda merchandise because someone in Disney corporate thought the D-0 droid would be the big moneymaker and she replied “You thought the toy aisles would be full of Baby Yodas, but it was me, D-0.”

holy poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if Buscemi's role was added late and entirely because they got Buscemi and he has a serious "this guy is really loving weird and creepy but I also like him" vibe. Make him the weird creep you can't help but love!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PhazonLink posted:

the Clone Wars mini series cartoon is good though? great Genndy Tartakovsky stuff.

Yeah but if you live somewhere where there's no cable TV and you don't have satellite then it's pretty loving confusing when all of a sudden a four-armed lightsabre-wielding robot with a human heart shows up, beseiges Coruscant, and has taken Palps hostage for ???reasons???

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
That last Star Wars movie was terrible, but it did have a cavalry charge on the outside of a spaceship, which was the most balls-out action sequence concept in YEARS.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

I felt the same way.
There I am, salty because it felt like Johnson took a huge steaming poo poo on Luke Skywalker and did everything he could to turn him into a sad, scared, shell of a man who got spooked so badly by a loving sock puppet account that he turned his nephew to the dark side and got all of his padawans murdered in the span of an evening, but then all I see are people raging and foaming at the mouth because Rey was allowed to be good at literally anything (which obviously made her a Mary Sue), or completely apoplectic that Kelly Marie Tran exists.

Everyone wanted Luke to be some badass action hero but his idol is a rude weird hermit and his finishing move was putting his sword away and refusing to fight. This was the best possible direction to take Luke in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its good that luke wanted to murder a child. thats a normal path for his character to grow in

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cynic Mark Hamill and straight man Daisy Ridley are the highlight of that entire trilogy, while everything else about it is boring and loud. The Johnson one isn’t as stupid as the final one, but it’s just as loving aimless and boring. There’s not an actor in those movies whose talent isn’t completely wasted by poor writing, poor direction, poor editing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

is that the ball bot?

*looks it up*

its not?? drat execs are stupid as gently caress.

I love the droids in star wars

they did not need a 4th droid, especially since it didn't really do anything in the film

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder if Buscemi's role was added late and entirely because they got Buscemi and he has a serious "this guy is really loving weird and creepy but I also like him" vibe. Make him the weird creep you can't help but love!

I guess we just need to accept that Con Air is the high point of stupid movies, nothing makes sense, just go with it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They never did explain how John Malkovich could teleport from the Vegas strip to an industrial site mid-fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfG7mikHAc&t=120s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mad Hamish posted:

"Begun, the Cline Wars have." Yoda declared from the back of my Delorean as we flew through a Stargate and soared past the Iron Giant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nah, I can see an argument for it.

Insomuch that a normal person will watch and like a new Star Wars film or whatever. And pay the $10 for their ticket. So Disney gets $10 from them.

But if you make that new Star Was film canonically accurate, and throw in references to a side character in one of the other decades olf Star Wars films, then the Star Wars nerds will buy 17 tickets to that film each, just to re watch the reference, as well as buying the premium DVD with 2 extra hours discussing said side characters backstory and so on and so forth. Meaning Disney gets over $100 from them for making the same film.

So yeah, Disney gives no shits about the extended Star Wars universe, but they do like money, and there is an argument that giving Star Wars nerds extra obscure intricate bullshit to obsess over would make them more money.

It's easier to not put in the effort, because Disney knows that nerds will obsess over new movies regardless and they want to you to subscribe to their streaming service, not buy dvds.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mad Hamish posted:

Yeah but if you live somewhere where there's no cable TV and you don't have satellite then it's pretty loving confusing when all of a sudden a four-armed lightsabre-wielding robot with a human heart shows up, beseiges Coruscant, and has taken Palps hostage for ???reasons???

wait, are you being serious? Every Star Wars movie starts with big reveals like that, most especially the prequels (unless this is a "the prequels are garbage" bit, in which case, ok). I remember seeing Episode 3 in the theatre and I didn't watch any of the Clone Wars shorts either, it wasn't important for who GG was in the film, just like it wasn't important who Boba Fett was in Empire, even if you were one of the few who had seen the Holiday Special.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
FWIW I recall the fortnite crew saying that the Emperors message had already been cut from the movie before they were given their pick of assets and stuff to use for the event. I still think having that great line reading boom out after the Lucas film logo but before the credits would have been the best possible way to start episode 9 as is… or you know, come up with a trilogy plan and actually set stuff up and not sabotage each other but I’m not a big shot Hollywood guy so :eng99:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

well why not posted:

the best part of modern star wars is herzog calling them out

I think the same thing could be said about them putting R2D2 and C3PO into the prequels. They were too cowardly to let the movie have a completely new set of faces.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

the holy poopacy posted:

Everyone wanted Luke to be some badass action hero but his idol is a rude weird hermit and his finishing move was putting his sword away and refusing to fight. This was the best possible direction to take Luke in.

Exactly. The last thing we see Luke do with a lightsaber in Return of the Jedi is throw it away and refuse to fight. The first thing we see Luke do with a lightsaber in The Last Jedi is throw it away and try to educate Rey on the importance of not fighting. Plus we get to see him emulating Yoda as a weird hermit, and treating the old Jedi Order with the amount of respect it deserves (i.e. none, they were just an incompetent and bureaucratic nightmare that couldn't not bully a child and drive him into the hands of the sith lord that lives next door, which also they don't know about because they're too loving stupid). We see him embodying the many virtues Yoda spoke of in Empire, and trying to pass them on to Rey. Then at the end he saves the day by sacrificing himself, just like his other mentor did back in the first Star Wars. That stuff is all awesome, and a natural evolution of his role in the story and his character arc, imo.

Is it a bit weird that he would go so far as to, even momentarily, contemplate defending the galaxy from Kylo Ren of the future by killing the Ben Solo of the present? Yeah, it's a bit weird, but it's framed as a moment of weakness that he feels great shame for. It's not, like, the core of his new character.

So I don't understand why so many people (including Mark Hammill himself apparently) think that episode 8 did something bad to Luke's characterization.

It's episode 9 that actually eviscerated his character. Luke actually loves lightsabers now, he's a huge fan of violence actually. The jedi order? Luke actually loves them now; tradition is more important than all that stuff about "being a good person" and "not being a moron."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who among us hasn't thought very hard and very seriously about murdering a child in his sleep based entirely on vibes, he even felt bad about it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Lol, not bad at all

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Aces High posted:

wait, are you being serious? Every Star Wars movie starts with big reveals like that, most especially the prequels (unless this is a "the prequels are garbage" bit, in which case, ok). I remember seeing Episode 3 in the theatre and I didn't watch any of the Clone Wars shorts either, it wasn't important for who GG was in the film, just like it wasn't important who Boba Fett was in Empire, even if you were one of the few who had seen the Holiday Special.

Eh, I see their point. The previous movies usually didn't throw you straight into the action and just tell you new characters were a thing now. Boba Fett gets an actual introduction. Hell, the one other movie that does very much start in the thick of it is A New Hope and even then Darth Vader gets some degree of establishment. Like I guess you can argue that we don't see the Death Star plans being stolen and we don't actually see the initial confrontation between the Tantive IV and the Star Destroyer but there's still a bit more build-up than "oh poo poo they got Palpatine somehow off-camera and we're literally in our ships right now zipping off to save him in a big space battle!!". Empire sure as hell didn't start with the actual Battle of Hoth...

It also doesn't help that, while again the other films also aren't immediate sequels, Episode 2 is the beginning of the Clone Wars and then 3 starts with...basically the beginning of the end of the Clone Wars. There's a much more conspicuous time gap, sort of like the jump from 1->2 where we then get told after the fact that Anakin and Obi-wan went on all sorts of wacky adventures and are totally best friends now, but writ large. And back in '77 there wasn't a giant media machine conveniently ready to sell you books/comics/cartoons/whatever explaining what happened during all that missing time, including how they nabbed ole Sheev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Alaois posted:

who among us hasn't thought very hard and very seriously about murdering a child in his sleep based entirely on vibes, he even felt bad about it

My point is that he didn't think very hard and very seriously, and by "vibes" you mean "he saw the future (where Ben murders hojillions of people) with his magic powers". if you went back in time and met teenage hitler, you'd think about it for a lot longer than luke did