Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Joe Pickett is... pretty dumb? It has some rough tone shifts in the first few episodes. I'm going to keep watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

I’m getting really sick of Netflix promoting subtitled shows that ive never heard of when my son asks if he can watch something. Then I have to watch twice in a short period of time (once to see if it’s ok for him, and once with it)

Why do the subtitles make a difference?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

distortion park posted:

If I wanted to READ I’d go to SCHOOL!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sanctuary's not bad at all besides typical Japanese drama silliness and overreactions, but lots of subplots are left unresolved and there's no talk about a season 2. Would watch more, sumo is cool.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

This reminds me I was wondering if Spartacus would hold up to a rewatch

Did that a couple of years ago, and yeah I'd certainly say it does. Though you probably don't miss anything by skipping the first three episodes, they're rough as hell. It's still thoroughly dumb, but also just incredibly entertaining to watch. John Hanna has so much fun playing Batiatus :allears:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
FUBAR's kinda fun. It's True Lies as a sit-com, which must have been how it was pitched, Tom Arnold's even in it.

It's also intentionally silly with the rules of what the CIA does. The most egregious example is they catch a guy and the boss says "lucky for us he's an enemy combatant so the geneva convention doesn't apply to him"

That is literally the main thing the geneva convention applies to and he wasn't an enemy combatant he was an arms dealer

Arnold is godawful, and it takes you out of the drama of anything going on but in a vaguely charming way. Brando disinterestedly doing poo poo off cue cards vibes

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 7, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Thought this was a pretty popular show.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1666203499741208594

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I've never heard of the show. I know Perry Mason, there were like a hundred books about that character. But I guess it's an old people thing and old people are bad at streaming

Took me like an hour to set up a sports streaming service for my grandma to watch Netball on because she had to rifle through papers to find her passwords and stuff and most of them were wrong

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Wtf!!? Bushleague.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Peccadillo posted:

FUBAR's kinda fun. It's True Lies as a sit-com, which must have been how it was pitched, Tom Arnold's even in it.

It's also intentionally silly with the rules of what the CIA does. The most egregious example is they catch a guy and the boss says "lucky for us he's an enemy combatant so the geneva convention doesn't apply to him"

That is literally the main thing the geneva convention applies to and he wasn't an enemy combatant he was an arms dealer

Arnold is godawful, and it takes you out of the drama of anything going on but in a vaguely charming way. Brando disinterestedly doing poo poo off cue cards vibes

Sweeeeeeeeet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nooooo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

drat. Especially after the way season 2 ended.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Reality was very good, suffocating from beginning to end. great performance by Sydney Sweeney

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mistermojo posted:

Reality was very good, suffocating from beginning to end. great performance by Sydney Sweeney

I felt pretty bad for her.....

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I will honestly never get tired of watching One Cut of the Dead with a group that knows absolutely nothing about it. This was my 4th time around and it’s still just so much fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

GO IN BLIND. FORCE YOURSELF PAST THE FIRST 20 MINUTES NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK ITS SO-SO

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

Took me like an hour to set up a sports streaming service for my grandma to watch Netball on because she had to rifle through papers to find her passwords and stuff and most of them were wrong

That was me this week. I share my Netflix, Hulu with the folks and I'll pay the extra for account sharing. All I want from them is access to their hbo that's included with their billion-dollar cable sub. After the hbo->max app poo poo I needed their cable password. Took them a week to find it, and it was wrong anyway.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Peccadillo posted:

Does the quality of the humor significantly improve past the first episode?

I'd initially been excited about the show (though I had thought it would be a movie rather than a series), but ended up bailing halfway through the first episode because the acting was so bad and the humor just didn't land often enough to make it bearable.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

I will honestly never get tired of watching One Cut of the Dead with a group that knows absolutely nothing about it. This was my 4th time around and it’s still just so much fun.

Is this streaming somewhere? I keep getting recommended it but its never on any of the services I use.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Slashrat posted:

I'd initially been excited about the show (though I had thought it would be a movie rather than a series), but ended up bailing halfway through the first episode because the acting was so bad and the humor just didn't land often enough to make it bearable.

Nope, it's not very funny. I like it still

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Brocktoon posted:

Hell yes. And the sequel is hilarious too.

Just, as said, force yourself through the first 23 minutes. (I timed it)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

I've never heard of the show. I know Perry Mason, there were like a hundred books about that character. But I guess it's an old people thing and old people are bad at streaming

It was very much "This ain't your momma's Perry Mason". Surprisingly graphic in a lot of ways. It was really loving good. This sucks.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Is this streaming somewhere? I keep getting recommended it but its never on any of the services I use.

One Cut of the Dead is exclusive to Shudder.

Edit: also available to rent on Amazon/Vudu

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 7, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

Hell yes. And the sequel is hilarious too

Do you mean the French remake, that for some reason features a character who survived the original film? Or is there a straight up sequel I can't seem to find info on anywhere?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Slashrat posted:

I haven't seen it, but I was listening to Comedy Bang Bang yesterday, and Fortune Feimster (one of the stars of the show) was the guest, and said that the first episode they handled it very much like an action movie, and then after that they leaned into the humor. Apparently.

I don't hold many Netflix shows in high regard these days though since they've put so much emphasis into quantity over quality. There was a period of 2 or 3 years where it felt like everyone made a point of checking out whatever new show Netflix put out. Now there is so much poo poo, and it all feels so cheap that very little of it seems watchable.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just finished up The Shield.

Holy poo poo, what an ending. I think this show has moved up into my top 10 of all time. Can't believe I never watched it before now.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Holy poo poo, what an ending. I think this show has moved up into my top 10 of all time. Can't believe I never watched it before now.

Now you're like the rest of us - you can never see it again for the first time. :(

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do you mean the French remake, that for some reason features a character who survived the original film? Or is there a straight up sequel I can't seem to find info on anywhere?

Didn't know about the French one.

No, I meant "One Cut of the Dead: Mission Remote", which isn't a full length feature, but is by the original cast and is still really good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

It was very much "This ain't your momma's Perry Mason". Surprisingly graphic in a lot of ways. It was really loving good. This sucks.

yeah, more like James Ellroy's "Perry Mason" with a 45 y/o burned out WW1 veteran (not even a lawyer yet) drunken dirtbag

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Didn't know about the French one.

No, I meant "One Cut of the Dead: Mission Remote", which isn't a full length feature, but is by the original cast and is still really good.

The French remake is supposed to be bad.

Is Mission Remote streaming anywhere? I’ve been wanting to see it but can’t find it.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I hope The Great gets a season 4. It's been a fantastic show throughout.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I’m on the last season now. I wonder how many more times I’ll have to see Aceveda getting mouthfucked at gunpoint in the episode recaps.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FishBowlRobot posted:

I’m on the last season now. I wonder how many more times I’ll have to see Aceveda getting mouthfucked at gunpoint in the episode recaps.

Haha it's hilarious because someone mentioned the recaps on The Shield a while back and that scene is immediately what came to mind. Every goddam week that season

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Medullah posted:

Haha it's hilarious because someone mentioned the recaps on The Shield a while back and that scene is immediately what came to mind. Every goddam week that season

Even past that season it still happens. The show tries so hard to be dark and edgy.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

I didn't think they showed it much, if at all, in the last season. I think they did a bunch in Season 5. And yea it's loving silly.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Even past that season it still happens. The show tries so hard to be dark and edgy.

It's definitely got that early-mid 2000s edgelord vibe but it's still so good.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

distortion park posted:

He will think the show looks cool, I’ll watch it and decide if he can watch it - and then if he watches it he will complain about the subtitles being distracting.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

The French remake is supposed to be bad.

Is Mission Remote streaming anywhere? I’ve been wanting to see it but can’t find it.

YouTube, they released it for free:

https://youtu.be/5QGi6Y6NZLI

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cool max won't show me recently watched because I am watching such bangers as not reality tv

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This Idol show can't really decide on a tone. Its like a beige Refn movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

magiccarpet posted:

This Idol show can't really decide on a tone. Its like a beige Refn movie.

Probably in part because it changed showrunners midway through, the original one really wanted to shed a light on the oversexualization of pop stars, and then they brought in the guy who does Eurphoria and turned it into just oversexualization.