Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Nah, as many as you can fit in the hour. Can't reuse the same chest though.

Here's a map of the mystery chests (175, multiple legendaries generally, chance at mounts I believe)

mystery chests are in general the best way to spend cinders but I got a mount from one of the non-mystery ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
So I didn't think they did, but I guess some Sacred aspects actually do have better roll ranges? I have two pairs of pants, each with the "when you damage an elite create a barrier that can absorb X damage" and the range for X is much higher on the Sacred. Seems like maybe it's mostly tied to rolls that involve flat damage/life as opposed to one that involve a % chance to do something or whatever

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

queeb posted:

yeah im staring down the barrel of doing the 160 lilith statues and the renown grind and kinda not feeling it. Game was super fun through the campaign at least

You don't have to do that really, especially the renown grind. Obviously it adds power, but like..lots of things add power, like gear and levels from killing things.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Some events are impossible in wt4 nm dungeons even if you're well geared and clearing them easily. Notably frustrating ones:

Kill 5 bears for a druid. The bears spawn at the edges and do so slowly, after they die the druid siphons their soul for about 6 seconds, and then it's 3 seconds before the next spawns. Unless you're two shotting elites 3 levels above, it's not gonna happen.

Any survivor one, they just die instantly to any aoe mob.

Any wave of mobs that has a long death animation or spawns an add that almost must be killed. Just really dumb the flies don't even have a health bar and do so little damage you may not see them as you run around to kill the last mob for 5 seconds.

That being said, has anyone seen the grandfather drop or know what level requirements might be?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

goferchan posted:

So I didn't think they did, but I guess some Sacred aspects actually do have better roll ranges? I have two pairs of pants, each with the "when you damage an elite create a barrier that can absorb X damage" and the range for X is much higher on the Sacred. Seems like maybe it's mostly tied to rolls that involve flat damage/life as opposed to one that involve a % chance to do something or whatever

Do you have Advanced Tooltip Information in the Gameplay settings turned on? Its off by default, so the information you can get on that X isn't exactly the most accurate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

I one shot the last boss at level 43 with a CE necro. In fact I one shot every boss in the game (wt1 natch, but the stacking dots are sick, not going to be at all surprised when it gets nerfed)

You killed the last boss in a single attack at level 43?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this - the idea is to pay extra money to grind for cosmetics?

Correct.

Players get a "deal", game companies get a flat 10-20 bucks and keep you playing and paying longer.

Basically every live service game does it. It suuucks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

neurotech posted:

I am feeling some serious buyer's remorse. The fight-to-fight gameplay is not that enjoyable so far. I'm a 50 Sorcerer and every build I've tried feels similar: get a big spike of power/damage and then run around doing comparatively little damage while cooldowns count down and/or mana regenerates. Is this just how sorc is meant to feel? I really want to like this game (mainly because I forked out $140 AUD to buy it) and let it get it's hooks in me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I roll another class that is less "feast or famine" like sorc? I don't really know what to do.

I'm running sorc (using this build, not that it matters) though I started late and am only 28. Same feeling here, because I have no good stuff and won't until T4 when I'll get access to the build-defining gear that makes mana recharge and cooldowns better. If you watch Ice Shard sorcs in the 60-80 level range they ain't stopping.

I think all the classes except Rogue are varying degrees of boned right now, be it single-target (the waiting for mana issue is big) or leveling speed or endendendgame performance... but that's going to change every patch for a while. It also won't apply to me because I'll probably get bored way before 100. I'm sure next nerf Rogues will be angry and some other class will be happy, because Blizzard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

You killed the last boss in a single attack at level 43?

No, just killed it on the first attempt.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I made it to Elias in the tier 3 capstone dungeon as a level 60 rogue. My damage output isn't an issue at all, but I'm pretty much a glass cannon. They one shot me with everything, along with some elites special abilities.

I really don't know if getting 10 more levels is going to make much of a difference, I seem to be finding an upgrade like once every 10 hours at this point.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

faantastic posted:

Some events are impossible in wt4 nm dungeons even if you're well geared and clearing them easily. Notably frustrating ones:

Any survivor one, they just die instantly to any aoe mob.

I see that one in every other dungeon and just run by, even if it wasn't impossible it's too slow. Sorry lady you were dead anyway

faantastic posted:

That being said, has anyone seen the grandfather drop or know what level requirements might be?

There seems to be a bunch of chase unique items (Grandfather, Shako, some others) that afaik no one has seen yet

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I can say for some builds, at least, there are definitely gigantic power spikes as things come online through the campaign in spite of level scaling. I’m very early and have an extremely noobish rogue build that I’m sure ARPG veterans would laugh at, but where the game would sometimes put up a fight on T2, once I hit level 30, I just started exploding rooms instantly and evisceratjng bosses with ease. And I have a stupid build that I’m playing badly.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Well I made it to Elias in the tier 3 capstone dungeon as a level 60 rogue. My damage output isn't an issue at all, but I'm pretty much a glass cannon. They one shot me with everything, along with some elites special abilities.

I really don't know if getting 10 more levels is going to make much of a difference, I seem to be finding an upgrade like once every 10 hours at this point.

iirc the nightmare capstone dungeon is level 70, so leveling should make a big difference - you take a big penalty to the effectiveness of your armor and resists if enemies are higher level than you, even normal enemies are dangerous at +10 and that boss hits pretty hard

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

goferchan posted:

Anything with flat numbers gets boosted by item level so sacred/ancestral will be better, yeah. I haven't seen any difference in percentages.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

It makes a difference, I tried every couple levels until 65 and kept getting 1-shot until I killed him at 65, but it got easier and easier without huge upgrades. Your stats are less effective against higher leveled enemies.

ETA: Although if you don't have max life in the slots you can get max life, probably going to have to do that.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

goferchan posted:

the range on the normal affixes is higher yes

the range on the aspect is the same for all tiers.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

faantastic posted:

There's a bunch of cellars and world events like this even at low levels. The mobs you have to kill (or get influenced or w/e) spawn so slowly it's literally impossible to get the mastery objective even if you one-shot them all.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The renown grind isn’t too bad. You can get the 3 needed levels for each area just by doing the quests. They’re interesting! The longer quest lines add some nice flair to the world. For example in the swamps you follow the guy from the opening cinematic and learn his story some.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
As someone said earlier, renown is powerful, yeah but doing basically anything increases your power. I’m slowly getting my renown up by doing nightmare dungeons I haven’t done yet and doing quests when they’re in hell tide zones. If I focused on them solely it’d prob get boring.

And yeah I see events that are unwinnable too, gets worse as I level up. Theres plenty of cursed shrines that just don’t spawn the 5th wave??? So you autofail. If it was once or even twice I’d think I was missing a mob but no it keeps happening.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For the statues, grab a map and just enjoy the world. There are some amazing sights to see outside of the main story. They did such a good job creating what's essentially a post apocalyptic world. Malthael did some serious work unlike the rest of the council of dorks.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I'm not sure how you need to grind renown. Pretty much everything you do gives you renown.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I beat the campaign and the capstone for wt3 but I'm not feeling necro's endgame builds at all, decided to start over as a barbarian! And I'm echoing the need for yet another overflow clan, I need people to talk to while grinding

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I'm not sure how you need to grind renown. Pretty much everything you do gives you renown.

Getting 2000 in each region is a grind for sure.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Finally got my first unique... and it's for a different class! :suicide:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
question about act 5 story

can someone explain to me why in act 5 we had to go huff incense and all that
i followed as far as "reforge the soulstone to trap lilith in it, guy needs moral support" but got lost after that

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

i followed as far as "reforge the soulstone to trap lilith in it, guy needs moral support" but got lost after that

Donan needed hallucinogenic drug therapy to deal with his sons death.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lol I got spoiled on something that happens later in act 5 by an npc conversation. I knew about Neyrelle's hand being cut off before it happened. That's definitely a bug.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Heh, yeah Mephisto, we all do have our ups and down my dude

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah, I thought you could apply them and take them off like gems but once you use one it's on there forever. Just fair warning so you don't stick your really good aspect on a piece of leveling gear like I did

feelsbadman :negative:

gonna hold onto this 2h staff for as long as possible

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Interesting, the battle.net launcher runs on my Ubuntu laptop following steamdeck instructions. Is there any way to test the game before dropping $100 on it? I'm pretty :ohdear: about buying a steamdeck for $650 then $100 on a game for it to maybe stop working randomly on me due to proton+patches or whatever.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jinnigan posted:

Act3 Secret Agent Witch (who was getting tatto'ed by Elias, was going to host to Andariel) tell us to go into the magical swamp and find the Tree of Whispers (ToW)
Huff incense, find the ToW by following a big snake (related to Trag'Oul / Rathma)
ToW tells us that it told Elias how to summon Lilith - it expects payment for this knowledge by having Elias die + his head hung on it's branches
Turns out Elias isn't an idiot, and turned himself into a semi-immortal Lich-thing by storing his finger in Rathma's temple (underwater coffin zone) - a very good idea when dealing with ancient, pissy demons.
ToW is pissed at this, so we'll do it a favour - we'll kill Elias for it, and put his head on the ToW; and in turn, the ToW will get all of Elias' knowledge, including where Lilith is going to open the Hellgate
We finally kill Elias for real, and Lorath asks the ToW for the Hellgate location (Caldeum); even though it means his head will be on the tree when he dies (Donan was pretty pissed at Lorath being a hero)

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 8, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

neurotech posted:

Did you level as hota/deathblow?

This is what my current build is: https://d4builds.gg/builds/98adce91-8988-4949-99c1-937d1693f4ff/. I find myself nuking packs/rares when Frost Nova is up, and then I run around casting Ice Shards when I have the mana to do so, and fall back to Frost Bolt which does gently caress all damage. I prefer playstyles that have momentum and can maintain said momentum. If I to stop and micromanage things too much I get frustrated.

I might take a break. I'll see how I go. Still feels bad after dropping $140 on it so recently :nyoron:

I have been using charged lightning since I got the piercing staff and arc lash and its been pretty badass. Got some lucky hit increased when barriered, the homing charge, and the piercing staff and use fire bolt and arc lash as enchants. Have another legendary with 6 percent to clear a defensive on being hit, and the skill that gives 5 percent chance on a crit, and the fire spells that give you mana regen and healing while dudes are burning, as well as the barrier spells.

It means I'm regen mana quickly all the time using cd's, all my cd's stun, and poo poo is dying fast now.

One thing I've noticed is it's giving me "summon kills" for using it, either the explosion from bolt or something is being tagged as summon so I am interested to see if there are any unintended interactions there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Interesting, the battle.net launcher runs on my Ubuntu laptop following steamdeck instructions. Is there any way to test the game before dropping $100 on it? I'm pretty :ohdear: about buying a steamdeck for $650 then $100 on a game for it to maybe stop working randomly on me due to proton+patches or whatever.

I’d be surprised if it stopped working. D2 and OW2 have been fine.

D4 is legit great on the deck. Only issue I have is that you can’t suspend the game. Besides that it’s as smooth as you can get.

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.
I needed a clan to force my father into, so I made Losing and Making Excuse (LAME). Throw an invite if you want to join, and if any of you wanna maintain this clan let me know too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
2 more hours of grinding, still no poison trap aspect :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

the range on the normal affixes is higher yes

the range on the aspect is the same for all tiers.

Are you saying that if I applied a normal aspect to a sacred item the range for the legendary affix would be boosted? Because the range on the legendary affix is significantly higher on the sacred item, it's not the same for both

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else being violently rubberbanded around the screen when they try walking? And having my skeletons fall a screen behind? My other online games are running fine. Does this game not run in Lockstep like Path of Exile does?

Also, is there an in-game FPS counter or do I need to find some 3rd party app?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Zero VGS posted:

Also, is there an in-game FPS counter or do I need to find some 3rd party app?
Press CTRL + R; the counter will show up in the lower left corner. Press again to display latency instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MMAgCh posted:

Press CTRL + R; the counter will show up in the lower left corner. Press again to display latency instead.

Oh thanks, any other mystery features I should know about? The options feel a bit lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Helltides are a lot of fun