Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666497486964285448

loving hell. Just full on mask off fash. There was another country who talked like this 80 years ago...

And tankies simp for this lot lol

this guy hosts (hosted?) a horrible vatnik version of Daily Show that is downright hazardous to any sane mind, too embarassing even for putin superfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666497486964285448

loving hell. Just full on mask off fash. There was another country who talked like this 80 years ago...

And tankies simp for this lot lol

Well yeah elon simps are deluded into thinking he'll take us to space

Russia though if we stop making fun of them they'll give us fully automated luxury gay space communism

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Love the replies attacking them as a Kremlin stooge.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The bouncing bomb was a special designed bomb that required a very exact attack profile and also placement in the depths of the water storage to work - Too far away did nothing. Just throwing a missile or hurling a handful of artillery will not work. One of the bouncing bombs exploded at the base of a dam and didnt even scratch it

uhhh sure but i'm saying "Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions" based off wiki and i guess that ep of the simpsons with niles is dumb. they are now and have been ever since someone paying for one to last longer than a war thought "what if they drag a cannon over there?" it's vital infrastructure an enemy would definitely target, not a rinky dink money laundering operation lol

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

uhhh sure but i'm saying "Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions" based off wiki and i guess that ep of the simpsons with niles is dumb. they are now and have been ever since someone paying for one to last longer than a war thought "what if they drag a cannon over there?" it's vital infrastructure an enemy would definitely target, not a rinky dink money laundering operation lol

Aren't nuclear power plant containment vessels built to withstand direct attack for a reasonable amount of time too?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Aren't nuclear power plant containment vessels built to withstand direct attack for a reasonable amount of time too?

Yes, but they took that heavily resistant design and added graphite tips, because it was cheaper..

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I don't even know how to read this

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Looks like it's popping off in Zaporzhzhia

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1666578129341632514?t=FBWWeMEQjk1it64HrtdiNQ&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.politico.eu/article/vladimir-putin-dam-attack-barbaric-nova-kakhovka/

quote:

In his first comments since the destruction of a strategic Russian-controlled dam in southern Ukraine, Russia President Vladimir Putin blamed Ukraine for the extensive damage and called the actions of those responsible “barbaric.”

Putin told Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in a phone call on Wednesday the blast that destroyed the dam was a “barbaric action” that “led to a large-scale environmental and humanitarian catastrophe,” according to a Kremlin statement.

Just one problem: The West says Putin was the one responsible.

Both Russia and Ukraine have blamed one another for the alleged explosion that destroyed the dam and forced the evacuation of thousands of people, a rescue effort largely facilitated by Ukraine.

Damage to Ukraine’s Nova Kakhovka dam, which has unleashed massive flooding in the Kherson region, could be a potential war crime, EU and Ukrainian leaders said Tuesday.

Putin, according to the Kremlin’s readout, was undeterred in his call with the Turkish leader, saying that “the Kyiv authorities, at the suggestion of their Western curators, are still making a dangerous bet on the escalation of hostilities, commit war crimes, openly use terrorist methods, and organize sabotage on Russian territory.”
gently caress you rear end in a top hat. :decorum: makes it so this is all I can say concerning this baldfaced lie, so I'll leave it at that.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

zone posted:

Link

gently caress you rear end in a top hat. :decorum: makes it so this is all I can say concerning this baldfaced lie, so I'll leave it at that.

Die screaming you bastard.

Preferably on the shitter with polonium poisoning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If/when they can secure the NPP, I hope they plant a Patriot system there just to make a point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My guess, and this is purely just a guess based on what little we know, is that it could very well have been a structural failure rather than deliberate sabotage, but only because Russia was trying and failing to build up to a more catastrophic flood on a timetable that was more suitable for them. There is evidence they closed the dam to fill up the reservoir, presumably in preparation to flood the Dnipro, but there are also reports, however credible they may be, that this happened days before Russia actually planned to blow the dam, leaving their own forces with no time to evacuate or regroup.

Assuming those premises are correct, it's entirely possible they overfilled the reservoir in preparation for a planned sabotage a few days from now, but their neglect of the dam could have actually caused it to fail ahead of time.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Huh.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/07/nato-members-may-send-troops-to-ukraine-warns-former-alliance-chief

Guardian posted:

A group of Nato countries may be willing to put troops on the ground in Ukraine if member states including the US do not provide tangible security guarantees to Kyiv at the alliance’s summit in Vilnius, the former Nato secretary general Anders Rasmussen has said.

Rasmussen, who has been acting as official adviser to the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, on Ukraine’s place in a future European security architecture, has been touring Europe and Washington to gauge the shifting mood before the critical summit starts on 11 July.

He also warned that even if a group of states did provide Ukraine with security guarantees, others would not allow the issue of Ukraine’s future Nato membership to be kept off the agenda at Vilnius.

He made his remarks as the current Nato chief, Jens Stoltenberg, said the issue of security guarantees would be on the agenda at Vilnius, but added that Nato – under article 5 of the Washington treaty – only provided full-fledged security guarantees to full members.

The US ambassador to Nato, Julianne Smith, said: “We are looking at an array of options to signal that Ukraine is advancing in its relationship with Nato.”

Rasmussen said: “If Nato cannot agree on a clear path forward for Ukraine, there is a clear possibility that some countries individually might take action. We know that Poland is very engaged in providing concrete assistance to Ukraine. And I wouldn’t exclude the possibility that Poland would engage even stronger in this context on a national basis and be followed by the Baltic states, maybe including the possibility of troops on the ground.

“I think the Poles would seriously consider going in and assemble a coalition of the willing if Ukraine doesn’t get anything in Vilnius. We shouldn’t underestimate the Polish feelings, the Poles feel that for too long western Europe did not listen to their warnings against the true Russian mentality.”

He said it would be entirely legal for Ukraine to seek such military assistance.

His striking suggestion that some states may regard the stakes as momentous enough to use their own troops could be seen as a warning to countries that the risks, including the threat to Nato unity, do not only come if Ukraine is provided a quick path to Nato membership, or powerful security guarantees. Germany remains wary of going too far, fearing it would provoke Russia.

Rasmussen said it was imperative that Ukraine should receive written security guarantees, preferably before the summit, but outside the Nato framework. These need to cover intelligence sharing, joint Ukraine training, enhanced ammunition production, Nato interoperability and a supply of arms sufficient to deter Russia from a further attack.

He said that “after a slow start, momentum was now building behind these ideas”, including in France.

But he warned that security guarantees would not be enough.

He said that “some Nato allies might be in favour of the security guarantees to actually avoid a real discussion on Ukraine’s membership aspirations. They hope that by providing security guarantees, they can avoid this question. I don’t think that is possible. I think the Nato issue will be raised at the summit in Vilnius. I’ve spoken with several eastern European leaders, and there is a group of hardcore, eastern central European allies that want at least a clear path for Ukraine towards Nato membership.”

He said history showed it was dangerous to leave Ukraine in the Nato waiting room indefinitely. Even if an invitation to Ukraine to join Nato could not be provided at the Vilnius summit, the possibility of extending an invitation in Washington next year could be referenced. That path to membership, he said, should exclude setting preconditions such as a Nato membership action plan, something neither Sweden nor Finland have been required to adopt as part of their membership path.

“Anything less than that would be a disappointment to Ukraine,” he said.

He rejected the argument that Ukraine could not be offered a path to Nato membership until the war was over, saying this would provide Putin with a veto.

I'm not sure what to make of this tbh

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sending in a coalition of like minded Anti-Nazis squadrons from around the world and cutting off all Russian tourism globally are two long overdue steps to stop the massacres and force Russians at home to fix Russia at home

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not sure what to make of this tbh

I won't deny it, its a bit crazy.

But on the other hand, member states can act individually if they so wish.

Perhaps this could, in theory, make Russia finally back the gently caress off if actual polish fighters join in to help defend Ukraine.

Even the suggestion of it becoming a reality might do it.

But i am not a military expert, i do not know how a nation that has proven to be increasingly erratic, not to mention incompetent, like Russia might respond.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It reads to me like one person's speculation. Very well informed speculation, given the guy's history - but speculation all the same.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was in model United Nations in college as the head position paper writer for the NATO committee representing the proud landlocked country of the Czech Republic in its incessant crusade against Somali pirates attacking shipping.

One of the things I learned is that Article 5 has limitations upon its invocation and one of those is if the NATO member state initiates hostilities on its own, it cannot invoke Article 5 as if they were the ones attacked first. That would at least keep it from being a NATO vs Russia hot war (which always ends in a nuclear exchange, and nuclear warfare is my Actual Area Of Expertise) but Russia would probably force it into an Article 5 by attacking a non-belligerent NATO member under the logic of "well NATO is already attacking"

But anyway we're deep deep deep into Clancychat territory so I'll end it there

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

But anyway we're deep deep deep into Clancychat territory so I'll end it there

My friend this is GBS, not D&D, i say clancychat but with extra sprinkles such as "what if aliens" are fair game.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

No NATO countries are going to put troops in Ukraine while the war is still going on.

I think he is talking about post-war NATO status. If NATO won't admit Ukraine, then some countries may act.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Street Fighter movie lied to me

That was the ALLIED Nations, movie still perfect.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 8, 2023

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
If Putin dressed as M. Bison I'd take him far more seriously.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Gejnor posted:

My friend this is GBS, not D&D, i say clancychat but with extra sprinkles such as "what if aliens" are fair game.

if folks want to know more about the intricacies of nuke war i'm more than happy to oblige :v:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Horsebanger posted:

"For you, the day Putin nuked your balls was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Horsebanger posted:

There were notions that "We'll have to work with Moscow after this" and the infamously foolish Macron warning. But it does seem like those notions are drying up. Or I may just be mistaking a German sort of shift with a more universal one. But the irritation with Moscow seems to be hardening and I have no idea what it means beyond no one important, except for maybe China, will view Moscow as having anything left with which to negotiate. It's historically bad for a country that had imperial ambitions.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:laffo:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Looks like HIMARS hitting Tokmak. Looking at a map it’s got roads going everywhere and is a very obvious point of attack.

I’ve never heard of that town before today but I expect we’re going to hear about it a lot very shortly.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lmfao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Comstar posted:

Looks like HIMARS hitting Tokmak. Looking at a map it’s got roads going everywhere and is a very obvious point of attack.

I’ve never heard of that town before today but I expect we’re going to hear about it a lot very shortly.

Tokmak has been struck almost repeatedly for the last few months now, it's one of Russia's most important logistics hubs in the occupied regions.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Comstar posted:

You're right about Tokmak's importance as a logistics hub. Tokmak correspondingly has been hit hard quite a bit during the shaping operations over the last month, and sporadically before that because as zone said, it's a locally important staging hub for logistics in south-central Ukraine

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They are going for Tokmak and moving towards Mariupol. We are IN THIS!!!!

Discounter attack will attempt to cut the Russians into four sections. The crimean/kherson section, the melitpol section, Donetsk and Luhansk. Through taking tokmak and Alchevsk they will essentialy rip the rail head soon and stop the supply lines. This will allow decisive victory in the field if they pull it off.

If not we can look at a split between Crimea and donetsk via Mariupol.

I surmised that they would wish to block Crimea off from Putin's forces in Ukraine as those forces will be tantamount to the defense of the island. It looks like a drive to the Azov is their current maneuver but that could change.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2023

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

You're right about Tokmak's importance as a logistics hub. Tokmak correspondingly has been hit hard quite a bit during the shaping operations over the last month, and sporadically before that because as zone said, it's a locally important staging hub for logistics in south-central Ukraine

"zone's right about Tokmak's importance, because zone said..."

lol not trying to throw shade, it's just funny and you probs didn't mean it like that, but that was my read.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They are going for Tokmak and moving towards Mariupol. We are IN THIS!!!!

Discounter attack will attempt to cut the Russians into four sections. The crimean/kherson section, the melitpol section, Donetsk and Luhansk. Through taking tokmak and Alchevsk they will essentialy rip the rail head soon and stop the supply lines. This will allow decisive victory in the field if they pull it off.

If not we can look at a split between Crimea and donetsk via Mariupol.

I surmised that they would wish to block Crimea off from Putin's forces in Ukraine as those forces will be tantamount to the defense of the island. It looks like a drive to the Azov is their current maneuver but that could change.

Does Mariupol even exist as a functioning city/ port anymore? I remember the Russians pretty much obliterated it in their early war crimes.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SAY YOHO posted:

"zone's right about Tokmak's importance, because zone said..."

lol not trying to throw shade, it's just funny and you probs didn't mean it like that, but that was my read.

Hah! You're right, I didn't mean it that way. Tokmak is definitely a regional logistics hub due to the way highways intersect there in the local area, and zone rightfully called that out. There's been semi-regular reports from Tokmak getting HIMARS'd and having smoking accidents, and primarily its because Tokmak serves as a warehouse collection point for the Russian Zaporizhzhian frontlines.

TulliusCicero posted:

Does Mariupol even exist as a functioning city/ port anymore? I remember the Russians pretty much obliterated it in their early war crimes.

Russian occupation authorities have thrown up megacheap tenement style buildings to replace the better-built apartment blocks they destroyed, but news out of Mariupol in general is pretty hard to come by because of the occupation. The replacement buildings the Russians built are absolute garbage. There's lots of signal jamming going on there and the roadways out are blocked by checkpoints manned by Russians who won't let the residents leave.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 8, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TulliusCicero posted:

Nope. But it's a city and cities are highway heads. So they need to be taken and Mariupol is a good position to slice the front in half.

It's not gonna give +10 logistics anytime soon.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1666663027477733377
Sucks to suck, fellas. I hope you didn't need all those supplies, weapons, and ammo that got washed out into the Dnipro delta.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The dam was blown up at 6:00 AM, on the 6th day, of the , 6th month.

Holy poo poo. No I'm not making that up.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukrainian D-Day

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Thinking back to those Russian armoured vehicles with the naval guns welded on top

Clear proof the dam was planned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

clearly this is the work of satan helping the ukronazis!!!