Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Horus definitely comes off like he has hosed at least once

edit: what an awful snipe

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Fulgrim's entirely a bottom and no-one would recognize it, so his fall to Slannesh is entirely foreseeable.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sanguinis definitely has people throwing themselves at him - but the power imbalance means he can only ethically and consensually bang other primarchs. Which, yuk, they're all gross.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Alpharius and Omegon cum denial

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Russ' foreskin was eaten by wolves

But there are no wolves on Fenris...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

habeasdorkus posted:

Fulgrim's entirely a bottom and no-one would recognize it, so his fall to Slannesh is entirely foreseeable.

Tell that to Ferrus :roboluv:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Battle Brother, I am pinned inside this servowasher, I require aid!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, can you link it?

Ugh, I can find the news posts about it, but I think its gone with the 10th ed website updates. Now I'm disappointed: it was really cool!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
IIRC, Fulgrim was (symbolically) married at least a couple of times, to seal political alliances on his homeworld.

AnEdgelord posted:

Horus definitely comes off like he has hosed at least once

edit: what an awful snipe

There's that scene in Horus Rising where Loken sees Abaddon have a screaming row with daddy about the Interex and storm off, and then Loken discovers Sanguinius is just lounging in Horus' personal chambers in a toga, eating grapes and tossing them at Horus. You know, like brothers do.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 6, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Warden posted:

IIRC, Fulgrim was (symbolically) married at least a couple of times, to seal political alliances on his homeworld.

Funny enough i saw some fanart with the primarchs talking about all the issues they have because they're so big where that got brought up. :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

oh emperor oh gently caress has someone checked on Cadia recently

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Magnus did nothing wrong

e: drat, worth a shot

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

oh emperor oh gently caress has someone checked on Cadia recently

It's gone!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/07/ciaphas-cain-reluctantly-returns-in-a-new-novel-and-a-collection-of-classic-tales/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Today's Black Library announcement is a surprising one, as we're getting a new Ciaphas Cain novel.

Also announced was Ciaphas Cain: The Anthology which collects a bunch of older short stories, alongside the novella Old Soldiers Never Die.

Been wanting to read a bunch of those so finally seeing them collected is a pleasant surprise.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

New Cain? Hell yeah

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

FYI vol 2 of The End and the Death is up for preorder at B&N in the US.

Lists a Nov 7th release date.

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 7, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

New Cain? Hell yeah

Pyrolocutus posted:

Lists a Sept 7th release date.

:woop: :woop: :woop:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
New Cain and a pub date for TEATD2 are both welcome news.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Amazon.com says November 7th :(

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh god I have to confront the fact that I'm gonna have to charm and organize my friends into hitting F5 with me at whatever time it ends up being. For the benefit of me and me alone.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Edit: reply is not edit.

Goofed yeah, it's Nov 7th instead of Sept. Dunno how I hosed that up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

DaysBefore posted:

New Cain? Hell yeah

Hell yeah!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yay!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Lists a Nov 7th release date.

gently caress :commissar:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am reading The Lion: Son of the Forest, and I just want to say, while I feel extremely dumb for needing to get up to meeting characters named Launciel and Galad before I finally realized what was going on, I am at least glad I figured it out before a knight wearing green walked up to the main characters, demanded a blow-for-blow game, got his head cut off, caught said head, laughed about it, and left.

For fucksakes, how did I not figure it out immediately when there was a literal Fisher King, they were not being subtle.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Just finished Lion: Son of the Forest and it's...frustrating. There's the seed of some good stuff there, but it's like they just speed-run it as a way to get to "Hey guys we have another loyal primarch back and ready to rock and totally on board!" asap.

It's like they made the Lion into a reverse Angron: everything goes his way from the moment he returns.

- Just lands in the one planet with a very persuadable Fallen. "By the way, I actually trust -everyone- now. It's my new thing, and it never backfires!"

-Wow I'm so old and hampered, just never in a way that matters or has a cost/impact on the events!

- Oh hey, the local chaos marines have this amazing relic primarch-grade sword they are not using for some reason, it's just there in their mess drawer, yoink!

- Sure is easy to navigate and contact loyal worlds in Imperium Nihilus, also collecting Fallen like pokemon. Most even skip the usual "I don't like you or anything, b-baka." And in a galaxy where sorcery, daemons and such are a thing, wary Fallen sure get convinced easily by a simple hololith projection.

- Yay, space battle! As hilarious stereotypical heretics, let's be really dumb in every cliché way. I want the most dangerous guy alive, everyine come at him one at a time, hit your own allies a lot, you know the drill. Also, big friendly Fallen fleet outta nowhere!

- Wow, the imperium of 41k is really different, irrational and disturbing, I'll worry about it never.

- BBEG passes up -two- perfect chances to kill the Lion. Sure, it wasn't his 'real' goal, because his goal was even dumber.

- We're being ambushed! The kind of ambush in which we actually outnumber them and they don't even bring good weapons and just flatten bolts against our armor while we melt them with plasma, though.

-"I am the new, friendly Lion who no longer sacrifices his sons for the goal. I'll show it by running off ahead, leaving them in an ambush while I go get caught by the obvious trap!"

- Hello, I'm the BBEG and I'll be doing my obvious bungle of a plan in the single hardest way -imaginable-. It's like that Dark Souls 3 run in which the guy only uses poop as a weapon. Also when things turn bad I'll turn daemon prince because that's not been beaten into paste, right?

- Oh noes, I am undone! My Fallen second in command who had been harboring OBVIOUS loyalty issues all book stabbed me in the back! How could I have known? It's not like psykers can read minds!

- Hello again dad, I know I was a Fallen like the ones with you, wow, none of them even died for some pathos or something! Anyway, I want you to kill me but you're the best guy ever, totally not a jerk! Anyone who says that is bad and wrong forever. Lawful Good represent!

-Actual fun and interesting nightmare sequence of the Lion facing his doubts and the shade of his brothers....used as a quick way to just give him another gear upgrade?
Come the gently caress on!

I've liked other books by the author, so I guess this was either a rush job or some strict editorial mandate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, the characterisation of the Lion seemed wildly out of character to his depiction in the Horus Heresy.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

To be fair, his whole journey was aided and guided by xenos, so of course he isn't the same. The Lion Returned is basically a xenos puppet.

Less jokey: I felt the author did a good job selling him as being that special kind of primarch-arrogant still, but in a new way: "I can be as magnanimous as I want because none of these jerks can take me even if they backstab me" rather than "I am perfect and nobody can ever get one over on me" he was before his nap. Also being old and gimpy is just him leaning even harder into his specialty of "perilous victory".

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sextro posted:

To be fair, his whole journey was aided and guided by xenos, so of course he isn't the same. The Lion Returned is basically a xenos puppet.

Less jokey: I felt the author did a good job selling him as being that special kind of primarch-arrogant still, but in a new way: "I can be as magnanimous as I want because none of these jerks can take me even if they backstab me" rather than "I am perfect and nobody can ever get one over on me" he was before his nap. Also being old and gimpy is just him leaning even harder into his specialty of "perilous victory".

Emm. I can see some of that, but let's keep in mind that Dude took in a Fallen that just plain won't take off his helmet or show his face to -anyone-. For all he knows there may be a Chtulhu face under there, and the guy is just waiting for the opportune time to go into the ship's Enginarium and set the reactor to meltdown, or other such hijinks. There's other ways of screwing someone up other than trying to directly stab their back. And his rationale for that is explicitly "He hasn't done anything yet", which, you know, betrays a hilarious lack of awareness of what an infiltrator or a 'long con' is.

I'd have taken (hell, welcomed) a journey that resulted in a different person. But there's not even a process. He just wakes up another person.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sephyr posted:

Emm. I can see some of that, but let's keep in mind that Dude took in a Fallen that just plain won't take off his helmet or show his face to -anyone-. For all he knows there may be a Chtulhu face under there, and the guy is just waiting for the opportune time to go into the ship's Enginarium and set the reactor to meltdown, or other such hijinks. There's other ways of screwing someone up other than trying to directly stab their back. And his rationale for that is explicitly "He hasn't done anything yet", which, you know, betrays a hilarious lack of awareness of what an infiltrator or a 'long con' is.

I'd have taken (hell, welcomed) a journey that resulted in a different person. But there's not even a process. He just wakes up another person.

Look, it’s just not in his nature to criticize trusted masked friend Alberto Farias; he’s just shy. Ol’ Al will show his face as planned when he’s ready.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Edit: reply is not edit.

Goofed yeah, it's Nov 7th instead of Sept. Dunno how I hosed that up.

Until BL itself announces the release date I'll take any 3rd party reveals with a pinch of salt. Amazon has been known to randomly put release dates for BL novels in the past that are pulled out of their arses.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im too poor for physical books, when is the ebook up for sale :mad:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Biplane posted:

I stopped buying physical books after I accidentally got an oversized version of one of my HH books and it broke my OCD bookshelf :(

That said... is it finally happening? It'll have been 17 and a half years since I randomly walked into a GW store on holiday wondering what my old 90s painting hobby was doing and thought "oh hey, they're writing about the Horus Heresy? Cool". 17 years since Galaxy in Flames had Horus say "we're off to Terra to beat up my dad".

I don't know what the gently caress happened in between, but I'm somehow 80 books into the lore and I'm STILL waiting for Horus and Sanguinius to start throwing hands.

I have watched actual children grow up and literally go to war in the time it's taken to write about the HH.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 8, 2023

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dog_Meat posted:

I stopped buying physical books after I accidentally got an oversized version of one of my HH books and it broke my OCD bookshelf :(

That said... is it finally happening? It'll have been 17 and a half years since I randomly walked into a GW store on holiday wondering what my old 90s painting hobby was doing and thought "oh hey, they're writing about the Horus Heresy? Cool". 17 years since Galaxy in Flames had Horus say "we're off to Terra to beat up my dad".

I don't know what the gently caress happened in between, but I'm somehow 80 books into the lore and I'm STILL waiting for Horus and Sanguinius to start throwing hands.

I have watched actual children grow up and literally go to war in the time it's taken to write about the HH.

yeah its crazy to think about. i've been reading this series for close to half my life and it's hard to believe we're actually at the final step*.
*final step not guaranteed there may be more post or pre heresy horus heresy content coming.

Jokes aside I am curious whether we'll get a scouring miniseries to sort of tie up all these loose ends to the new shiny "hey these primarchs seem to be coming out of the woodwork (woodwarp? idk)" stuff going on in current era.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I hope not as we need them on the Dawn of Fire series.

The timeline is a loving mess right now:

Dawn of Fire - The present but also the past
Plague Wars - was the present but is now the past
Crossing the Great Rift - The present but also the future
The arks of omen - the old present
The 4ty teranic war - the new present

We have necron loose ends in there too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Did gw rewrite plague wars to change the timeline, or was that my fevered imagination

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No, they released a revised edition a year or two ago to correct it more into the 9th ed timeline.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

No, they released a revised edition a year or two ago to correct it more into the 9th ed timeline.

It wasn't even that big of a change tbh, just changing it from the end of the indomitus crusade to a few years info the crusade

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Biplane posted:

In the past the ebook has become available at the same time as the special editions and hardbacks.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

hopterque posted:

Jokes aside I am curious whether we'll get a scouring miniseries

It'll start off as a miniseries but if it sells well enough it'll bloat out to 50 or more books.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Lion book felt very "I have to hit these points". Have to show that he can transport himself around, have to show how he got his sword (which wasn't that he stumbled on it in the keep, rather he stepped into his green realm and found it), his shield, and his band of merry men. I freely admit the "I'm weak" stuff got kind of annoying when he's also shown beating up terminators with his fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Roller Coast Guard posted:

It'll start off as a miniseries but if it sells well enough it'll bloat out to 50 or more books.

*BL editor looks very confused*

'But 50 books is a miniseries?'