Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Helltides are a lot of fun

Yeah they are, I just wish they worked more often, they are pretty bugged currently. I'm like 50/50 for whether or not I enter a helltide zone and its actually triggering the event properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

My name is legion, for we are many (actually 1 less skelly than the max because my neck is taken up by an aspect that actually matters).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just did the WT4 unlock dungeon and I come bearing gifts of bugs you can exploit to get through it easier because boy is it a doozy... at least if you're level 64 like I am and plowing everything in open world and doing nightmare dungeons over tier 15 is making you feel too strong.

I guess spoilers if you want to go into the dungeon blind, I totally understand:

The dungeon splits into 2 paths that you can choose from. Either way you pick you'll do both of them but completing one of them will give you a specific debuff that builds over time and wanes as you kill enemies. So the idea is you pick the path with the debuff you can handle better so you can do the second path easier. When you complete either path, you'll be given an item to carry to a pedestal. When carrying items, you gain a 25% move speed buff. After doing both paths and putting their items on their respective pedestals, you'll have the debuff of each path and a third, final path will open to you. On this third path, you have to kill elites to pick up "animus" and place it into an urn which opens the final boss fight. With this knowledge, enjoy this great bugs you may be able to exploit!

First of all, I died in the first room of the left path and the game spawned me past the door for the third path. Unfortunately, I died rather quickly past this point and it respawned me back behind the wall. I couldn't reproduce this but I can't say I tried very hard to.

Next, at the end of the right path, it spawned the item I was supposed to take to the pedestal early. I picked it up but was still locked into the fight and I died. Upon respawning, two items were now able to be picked up in the room. After completing this path and unlocking the final path, I was able to go back and pick up that item and keep the movement speed buff. Any time I died after this, the item dropped where I died and I was able to pick it back up and use it again. I even had it on when I beat the final boss.

If you don't like those debuffs the paths give you, guess what? Teleport out of the dungeon then back in. Poof, the buffs go away.

Those animus you have to collect on the final path? For some reason they can sometimes drop from regular enemies if you die at the right time. Or something. I'm not sure how or why it happened but I got a giant pile of them after one of my many deaths down that path and just rushed to the boss from there.

Lastly... don't be a dork like me and do this at level 64 because everything in WT4 is level 73+ and melts my rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried playing with a controller tonight, and it is about 20x more enjoyable that way. Almost feels like it's the intended way to play the game. The only downside I encountered is that I didn't seem to have much control over Teleport on my Sorceror (it seemed to either teleport a specific distance in the direction you're facing, or behind an enemy you're aiming at - which is usually fine, but can be annoying when you're wanting to do use Teleport to reach terrain across a gap, or if you just want to make a lot of distance between you and a mob; it has a bad tendency to just send me behind elite mobs when I'm trying to teleport far past them). But it's a lot less awkward than trying to use the mouse to simultaneously attack and dodge. I also had an easier time noticing my skill procs (from the Frost passive that gives a chance at an enhanced mana-free attack) since I could look at my character, instead of needing to keep my focus on my mouse cursor. I imagine it's even better for a more melee-oriented class.

My friend and I encountered the Butcher, and it was a lot of fun, since I barely managed to avoid dying by the skin of my teeth and needed to frequently use my defensive abilities (Frost Armor, Deep Freeze, and Teleport in this case). We did a good job of trading aggro between my Frost Sorceror and his Druid (that seems to be some mix of Bear stuff and Earth stuff).

My one gripe about the story so far is that I've done a lot of stuff without any big cool set-piece fights. Been doing a lot of quests that just amount to chasing after Elias, culminating in finding out he wants to summon Andariel - which I totally called btw. I'm guessing the inevitable Andariel fight will be the equivalent of the Belial fight in D3. I'm sure those fights will happen later, but it feels like I should have encountered something other than "here's a big anonymous demon" by this point.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I tried playing with a controller tonight, and it is about 20x more enjoyable that way.

Me too. Not sure how I'm gonna fare using controller in PvP against M&K users though

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

FootballFreak2 posted:

The lag is incredibly bad

If you're on PC, try setting the exe's network settings to 'public' in firewall settings. Fixed it for me.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

why are there so many posts in this thread that are like "controller is excellent, i cant believe i played diablo without it before. by the way i cant aim any ranged skills properly and i may as well take teleport off my bars for how little control i have over it"

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hashy posted:

why are there so many posts in this thread that are like "controller is excellent, i cant believe i played diablo without it before. by the way i cant aim any ranged skills properly and i may as well take teleport off my bars for how little control i have over it"

People who say that did not play diablo 3. Diablo 3 sucks. I did play it to kill diablo on inferno and never touched it again.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 8, 2023

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Today I learned all vendors of a type share inventory.
Oh did a jeweler have a solid ring at your level in one town? Well every other jeweler in the game has the same stock - or lack thereof: If you buy from one, all of them will be down that item.

The sorc unique that makes teleport vacuum and stun enemies is insane. There's a paragon board with something like 75% bonus damage to stunned enemies across it, and a legendary node that makes you gain 10 mana for every enemy you stun.
Equipping teleport as an enchantment makes it replace your dash - and makes dashing count as using a cool down. Sorcs have a passive that gives them a barrier every time they spend a cool down- and a ton of "extra X while barriered" buffs.

Teleport into middle of group. Hold rclick to cast 3 static bolts. Everything explodes. Rinse and repeat.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Ive found 3 uniques so far and two of them are the same unique and the second copy was way lower ilvl and rolls than the first. all I want is the sorc teleport chest

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah for the effort they put into vendors, the pitiful inventory that's exactly the same everywhere sure sucks

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hashy posted:

Ive found 3 uniques so far and two of them are the same unique and the second copy was way lower ilvl and rolls than the first. all I want is the sorc teleport chest

I found one staff at 53 that rolled 707 ilevel. I'm now 63 and the average ilevel is barely 700 on most drops. I've since gotten a far shittier copy of it too.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a dual monitor setup and sometimes I want to "exit" the game to check something on my 2nd monitor but when I do that the game starts to lag and gets muted. Is there a way for it not to do that? I already have it set to windowed fullscreen but it's not working as intended.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I have a dual monitor setup and sometimes I want to "exit" the game to check something on my 2nd monitor but when I do that the game starts to lag and gets muted. Is there a way for it not to do that? I already have it set to windowed fullscreen but it's not working as intended.

You have background fps set to default which is like 8fps or something

There will be an audio in background setting somewhere too

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The default background FPS setting is ridiculous. Eight!

Also, Diablo 3 on switch (and thus on controller) loving ruled. Best port I've seen, unmatched. Too lazy to try controller on my PC, I'll take a gander later I guess.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I found a unique called Word of Hakan, think someone in here mentioned it before. Applies all imbues to rain of arrows... unfortunately doesn't seem like it's worth it. Maybe if the rain of arrows cooldown was 30 seconds or something. I've found 6 uniques so far and none of them have been worth using :smith:

Also I play with a controller as well and love it, except one huge problem as a rogue. I've got a skill that gives me 10% increased damage per second up to 30% if I stand still. If I attack with my rapid fire and move back to the standard attack my character moves forward a tiny bit resetting the counter. Doesn't seem like this should happen and doesn't do that using a mouse. Pretty huge sacrifice.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 8, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Should I extract aspects from legendaries while leveling?
Edit: Besides stuff I really want because it's cool I mean.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 8, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hashy posted:

I mean that's more than a bit hyperbolic, but also it's because teleport seems to randomly change distance. It'd kill me in D3 where teleporting across the map is a core component of several things but there's no Ingeom here so chilling with a controller wins.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I definitely prefer controller but that's because I'm old and want to just game on the couch rather than hunched over my computer giving myself RSI.

The autotargeting at range is definitely pretty handy with controller as it's often targeting Bad Guys you can't even see yet.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Black Griffon posted:

The aspect rolls are level independent, so you can absolutely get a good aspect early and save it for later.

E.g. there's a helm aspect that increases hp regen by between 2 (lowest) and 10 (highest) per nearby mob and I got a 10hp per mob roll on a level 20 hat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The game throwing the same 3 non-class-specific legendaries at me finally broke me, and I've given up playing this season.
I've gotten 18 of them in the past few days, and not a single other legendary.

Fix the loving loot tables, Blizzard.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The High textures are starting to look quite muddy after a while. Path of Exile doesn't have a similar texture problem. On Ultra the game stutters badly with 32GB of ram and 10GB of vram with 3080. How much VRAM the ultra textures require? Do I need to get a 2nd hand 3090 or something with 24GB of vram?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Ihmemies posted:

The High textures are starting to look quite muddy after a while. Path of Exile doesn't have a similar texture problem. On Ultra the game stutters badly with 32GB of ram and 10GB of vram with 3080. How much VRAM the ultra textures require? Do I need to get a 2nd hand 3090 or something with 24GB of vram?

sounds like a "you" issue

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I had to drop down from ultra at 4k w/ dlss balanced (which should be 1080p render res) with a 3080 because at ultra it was continually going over 10gb and may have contributed to frequent crashing.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Black Griffon posted:

I’d say definitely don’t save anything that isn’t a perfect roll or a copy of something you are already using. There are plenty of aspects that sound much better on paper than they play in practice.

Speaking of: I was really excited when I got the black river unique (corpse explosion consumes extra corpses for more damage + radius) I’ve been running CE as an essence generator. Unfortunately the radius doesn’t seem to go up for the blight version of CE.

Additionally I had saved a copy of the blood mist triggers corpse explosion, and reduces cooldown for each corpse exploded aspect thinking it would be a fun synergy. It does consume extra corpses, but theres no extra cool down reduction for the additional corpses eaten. Don’t think it’s worth the slot to equip it on any late game build. Rip to dreams of ~50% uptime blood mist 😞

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

There's no real harm in doing that.

Be aware; the aspect you extract will KEEP the current roll that you have. If you haven't already you can turn on advanced tooltips in settings. It will show full damage ranges.

ie - if the range is 20%-40% additional damage, and your roll is 25%, it will remain at 25%. I assumed it worked like D3 where it automatically gives you the highest roll but alas. So if you have a high or perfect roll, you may want to save it for endgame. Especially if you can instead imprint the same aspect from a dungeon while leveling.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

sounds like a "you" issue

I don't understand. The game looks mushy without ultra textures. I'm just asking how much VRAM they require so they run smoothly.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

putin is a oval office posted:

I already posted this but I feel like maybe I just don't get this game, unfortunately. I've loved D1, D2, D3 and loved D4 up until about levels ago. I'm just stuck. I think I just don't understand how to play it. I see other people in this thread saying how they're breezing through the game and they've got such great gear and I see the Barb vids on YouTube and Twitch etc and just... That's not my experience. It's really hard, I can only comfortably manage the lowest difficulty.

Is there some obvious dumb tip that I've missed for picking good gear or whatever that might help? I love the game, but my game is now totally stagnant really. I did my best to chip through the capstone dungeon for WT3 and I got right to the end boss who just destroyed me so hard I couldn't understand how other people are doing it. So now I'm just piece by piece doing dungeons and poo poo because there's nothing else to do if you can't reach WT3.

I know this is all probably 100% on me, but I've never felt so defeated by a game I was so enthusiastic for. I'd really love some tips. I'd hate to think my joy for this game is already over just a few days in.

Not sure if people remember my earlier rant, but multiple people left really helpful replies and I only just came back to check on the thread today. Just wanted to update and say that I made some tweaks to my build and focused my gear a bit better with some better aspects and was able to finally beat the capstone dungeon, comfortably in fact!

So thanks everyone for the encouragement and the helpful posts, I'm now tearing it up in T3 hell tides and my love of the game is back!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thanks for the aspect replies folks, I feel I've got a handle on it now!

Ihmemies posted:

I don't understand. The game looks mushy without ultra textures. I'm just asking how much VRAM they require so they run smoothly.

I think they're being an rear end in a top hat, but in a very confusing way, so it doesn't really work.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ihmemies posted:

I think Ultra requires over 12 GB RAM (i.e. RTX 4090) to run consistently well, but that may have changed since the Beta

I will say turning up Sharpness to ~50 significantly improved the visuals for me regardless of what I set Texture Quality to

putin is a oval office posted:

Not sure if people remember my earlier rant, but multiple people left really helpful replies and I only just came back to check on the thread today. Just wanted to update and say that I made some tweaks to my build and focused my gear a bit better with some better aspects and was able to finally beat the capstone dungeon, comfortably in fact!

So thanks everyone for the encouragement and the helpful posts, I'm now tearing it up in T3 hell tides and my love of the game is back!

:thatsrad:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Doing the WT4 capstone (70) at lvl 58 was the most fun I've had so far in this game. Every fight was a massive challenge and the boss was a real nailbiter dodging mechanics and dealing with adds.

Wish more fixed difficulty content was in the game already

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm doing nightmare dungeons with a controller as a sorc that always takes teleport. Works for me :shrug:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

DarkDobe posted:

Teleport into middle of group. Hold rclick to cast 3 static bolts. Everything explodes. Rinse and repeat.

i need that unique to drop cause what my build is really missing is a vacuum, everything else just dies and i keep everything perma stunned, but i hate having to chase down ranged stuff. also stoked to switch to charged bolts and dump cl for good, i have most of the pieces to switch already

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mikojan posted:

Doing the WT4 capstone (70) at lvl 58 was the most fun I've had so far in this game. Every fight was a massive challenge and the boss was a real nailbiter dodging mechanics and dealing with adds.

Wish more fixed difficulty content was in the game already

Pretty impressive feat, nice one! What's your class/build out of curiosity?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Stupid poo poo I wanna go home and play Diablo IV

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My Storm Druid having a real tough time on WT2 :( I accidentally got Stunned and died to a regular pack of mobs. Dungeon bosses, not a chance.

No idea what I should be focusing on in my build... Level 48, beat the campaign yesterday

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does the WT2 get harder or does it stay the same? I’m at 26 with my sorc and it has been doable, I only die to very stupid crap. The largest issue is damage, it takes so long to kill mobs. Maybe I got used to PoE’a kill speed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Question about crowd control. I read that the Aspect of the Umbral which restores mana when you cc an enemy only works the first time you cc them so useless for boss fights. Do stats like +damage to crowd controlled enemies also only work once? If not, this seems like it would be better than other +damage stats like close/distant/injured since you’re probably cc’ing enemies most of the time?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deki posted:

Correct.

Players get a "deal", game companies get a flat 10-20 bucks and keep you playing and paying longer.

Basically every live service game does it. It suuucks.

There is one big difference in that the season passes for the big two (Fortnite and Call of Duty) always provide you with enough currency (+ a little more) to buy the next season pass if you do the majority of it. So if you're not buying layered sets and only going for stuff the pass provides, in those games you only need to pay for it once (then actually play the game enough to complete it each season). Diablo unfortunately isn't doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

OctaMurk posted:

Helltides are a lot of fun

I wish they were 15-30 minutes longer, I play a lot but everytime I look it seems like there's less than 20 minutes left. Also I wish there was a tab or something that listed when events are starting.