Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

MECs were so good. They're the one big thing I wish oldcom and its mods could replicate as tanks just don't feel the same.

I loved when I first got enemy within, and nice guy “preserve our humanity” Shen just lopped off someone’s arms legs and body to make them into a sweet killing machine. Buddy I didn’t know you had it in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What spark mods do people use?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Been replaying XCOM2 and just had an interesting experience. Upon triggering the first pod, the Assassin teleported into a section of the map that was effectively disconnected from the rest of the area. She was stuck there, shuffling to and fro and occasionally vanishing but unable to do anything else, and forced to watch my squad take up position on the other side and take potshots at her until she got knocked out.

It's good to know that, sometimes, :xcom: can happen to the aliens too.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

That happens at least once a playthrough for me. Unfortunately never with the Assassin, just with the other other two who are actually threatening from a distance

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RVT posted:

What spark mods do people use?

Pretty sure the one I use is called Mechatronic Warfare.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Pierzak posted:

I can't find a stable download on the OpenXcom site, all I get is a video for nightlies, nightlies downloads and extras, what do I do if I just want a working version and don't care about having the super-newest one?

No witness, no problem. Is very discreet.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html might be your best bet. The repository has older versions if you are really worried about it. You may or may not use any of the extra bells and whistles, but it will work.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1663959313600086023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's sad that I saw that, braced myself and then when I saw it was "only" 30 people relaxed a bit. Not as many as the 100 Relic laid off a week or so back or the many 100s some others have let go but 30 is still a chunk of a company.

What a lovely industry.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i don't think firaxis is as large as relic, iirc that is still a huge chunk of the studio. i suspect a number of deals fell through in the wake of midnight suns not selling that great.

like don't get me wrong, firaxis did a fine job and the game isn't bad, but they kinda hit the perfect storm of marvel fatigue and it seemed very here one week and completely gone the next.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't enjoy Midnight Suns but I don't like the card game part of it. I could see how someone would like it though, it seemed pretty fun if your into the whole card game RPG thing. Well, I'll also say the story (or what I completed at least) was pretty dire.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didn't enjoy Midnight Suns but I don't like the card game part of it. I could see how someone would like it though, it seemed pretty fun if your into the whole card game RPG thing. Well, I'll also say the story (or what I completed at least) was pretty dire.
Even a lot of people who liked the strategy seemed down on the MCU friendship simulator aspects of it, yeah.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it was a marvel story, yeah, and those haven't just been wearing out their welcome the last 3-4 years, they've just flatly been getting dumber as writers continually reach for something that hasn't already been done almost beat for beat in the MCU. one of my regular movie group brought The Immortals a few weeks ago and that movie was just terrible, the story basically contradicted itself with its own nonsense and the characters were the least interesting people i've seen in a movie in years.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The target demographic for Midnight Suns enjoy all of:
1. Xcom
2. Deck builders
3. Marvel stories

Two of those circles overlap a lot more than the third on the Venn diagram.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Marvel stories are fine for video games, hell I'd say they are probably the perfect fit for video games. Midnight Suns is even worse then most Marvel stories somehow though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got Midnight Suns for free at some point and I still haven't even installed it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm enjoying Marvel Suns as an XCOM-lover. The only deck-builder I ever got into (in a huge way!) is Slay the Spire but I like that aspect of it. Luckily I just never gave a poo poo about Marvel and I can enjoy the game for the novelty of the comic stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yea midnight suns is fine as a marvel story, i want to be clear. but people have been kind of drifting from the marvel formula for a while from overexposure so i can totally get the fatigue with it too.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

pun pundit posted:

The target demographic for Midnight Suns enjoy all of:
1. Xcom
2. Deck builders
3. Marvel stories

Two of those circles overlap a lot more than the third on the Venn diagram.

It boggles the mind that this didn't get killed when it thrashed so hard, especially after how other games stank up the IP.

It was at the absolute sour spot of IP size to number and quality of games; Warhams gets away with it because folks know there's both a lot of chaff, but a lot of dross, any damage to the IP value is 'diluted'.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I think the writing is pretty dire in XCOM 2 as well, especially WotC. But the game overall doesn't suffer that much from this. It looks a lot harder to ignore in MS.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think xcom 2 base holds up pretty well, but the Chosen are loving obnoxious because they have exactly one setting and never shut up. the Hunter's setting is at least an okay setting but good god last time i played i beelined the warlock just so i wouldn't have to hear his loving voice anymore.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'd say the writing in Midnight Suns was generally okay for the subject matter, but for me at least, I found the sheer amount of it just exhausting. It feels like easily half my time with the game was spent just talking to the rest of the team - and the dialogue (including the Hunter's range of responses) just isn't compelling or funny enough to merit that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only Marvel stuff that's even remotely on my radar is the Spiderverse series and that's been true for half a decade now. It's also technically not MCU.

I do feel bad for Firaxis but Marvel fatigue is real.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It’s a real shame because the base combat mechanics in Midnight Suns were great as was the deck building component and the “push your luck for materials to upgrade your deck” portion. The abbey stuff and story was definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. I skipped almost every conversation with Agatha but most of the actual heroes were pretty well written and voiced.

But really the base combat and upgrade loop was great. Bring heroes who mesh well, each feels unique, get upgrades for those heroes that opens up new play styles, but then there’s always the luck of the draw forcing you to adapt your strategy to what you have, the core of any deck builder. That makes it a lot unlike XCOM where you always have all the shiny tools available at all times but it’s so satisfying when designed well, which this (mostly) was.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If it had been anything other marvel I most likely would have played it, but I've skipped the last dozen or two marvel movies because they just aren't interesting, so I had no desire to give them a ton of money for a game.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

My only problem with Midnight Suns is that you can't pause any of the many cutscenes and they're, y'know, really important and frequent.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Sombrerotron posted:

I'd say the writing in Midnight Suns was generally okay for the subject matter, but for me at least, I found the sheer amount of it just exhausting. It feels like easily half my time with the game was spent just talking to the rest of the team - and the dialogue (including the Hunter's range of responses) just isn't compelling or funny enough to merit that.

I can't remember whether Blade lamenting the representation of vampires in cinema, or the book club with Captain America bit that finally just had me start slamming the skip button whenever the game tried to shoehorn in more character building.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

book club with cap sounds awesome tbh

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Coolguye posted:

book club with cap sounds awesome tbh

It was pretty good. I think the problem is that midnight suns was sold as a card based tactical game when it’s really a marvel dating sim with some fight thrown in there. Also the final fight takes like loving 2 hours and nobody has time for that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

binge crotching posted:

If it had been anything other marvel I most likely would have played it, but I've skipped the last dozen or two marvel movies because they just aren't interesting, so I had no desire to give them a ton of money for a game.

This is the boat I’m in. I tend to love Firaxis games. But Marvel is so loving boring and played out to me I never touched it. Maybe one day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I want to say I would have played if they'd done some sort of original superhero IP, where you can build a team of supers from scratch, identifying talent and then fleshing them out. Now THAT sounds like it would have been fun.

Except the writing seems so dire I'm not sure even that would have ended up enjoyable if they went for the same story heavy approach.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I want to say I would have played if they'd done some sort of original superhero IP, where you can build a team of supers from scratch, identifying talent and then fleshing them out. Now THAT sounds like it would have been fun.

Except the writing seems so dire I'm not sure even that would have ended up enjoyable if they went for the same story heavy approach.

That’s basically freedom force. That game was kind of dire to for other reasons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I was tempted to get back into xcom 2 lately - haven't played in a LONG time though!

Is long war 2 the mod of choice still? Is it still painfully long and tedious or is there some way to make it a bit more tolerable despite this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think long war 2 was ever "the mod of choice". It changes the strategy layer so radically (and not necessarily in a way that's actually an improvement), the only reason to go for it is if you specifically want that strategy layer.

There are plenty of other mods to play around with the tactical combat if that's all you're after. Or just the unmodded game has a lot to offer.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

I don't think long war 2 was ever "the mod of choice". It changes the strategy layer so radically (and not necessarily in a way that's actually an improvement), the only reason to go for it is if you specifically want that strategy layer.

There are plenty of other mods to play around with the tactical combat if that's all you're after. Or just the unmodded game has a lot to offer.

I remember when it was about to come out and everyone was excited about it - some googling shows they really revamped the strategic layer and I guess not everyone likes it? That's a shame.

I'll try unmodded again then, maybe, unless there's any other small or overhaul mods that people really enjoy.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I would always start with base, Long War 2 is aptly named and makes the strategic layer both longer and harder; in an average campaign you'll probably be playing maybe 150-200 missions to finish. Tedious is subjective, but since the mod was built to make it take longer it probably isn't something you would enjoy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my personal take is that the base game is plenty long enough without extra extensions, especially if you're playing with war of the chosen installed. but that's far from a universal notion. lots of folks enjoy the much longer arrangement long war gives and they are also correct in their thinking.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Obviously there are wrong ways to enjoy the game. :v:

Some recommendations:
Evac all
Got you again (clearly indicates where you will trigger enemies that you've discovered)

The only way to know you have enough cosmetics mods, is when the main menu characters glitch into Lovecraftian horrors.

Also, get all of the thirst mods.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Splorange posted:

Obviously there are wrong ways to enjoy the game. :v:

Some recommendations:
Evac all
Got you again (clearly indicates where you will trigger enemies that you've discovered)

The only way to know you have enough cosmetics mods, is when the main menu characters glitch into Lovecraftian horrors.

Also, get all of the thirst mods.

Now this is proper advice :hmmyes:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There are several mods out there which overhaul or really add to the variety of enemies you fight.

"The Hive" is very high quality, but you'll want to grab a decent number of other enemy mods as well, or your game will be flooded with ENTIRELY too many Chryssalids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

JosefStalinator posted:

Is long war 2 the mod of choice still? Is it still painfully long and tedious or is there some way to make it a bit more tolerable despite this?
Did you only ever play the vanilla game or have you touched War of the Chosen yet? If not, I'd recommend that expansion as it adds a bunch more mechanism in the early-mid game which helps with the pacing (though I think the endgame still gets a bit rote, perhaps)