Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Info on the maintenence system: https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-72

Buildings maintained by COs, vehicles by repair depots or their workplaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeaaaah kind of what I expected, I’m just going to have to play with it. I do really enjoy having perpetual consumers - I think that’s a good economic addition, but it all depends on how it actually plays.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Eyebrow decidedly went up when I saw that you need to essentially start importing plastic etc. from day 1(ish) to maintain your fleet. Obviously it depends on how much they actually use to refurbish a vehicle. The automatic replacement screen looks like a dream and a nightmare. Being able to automatically upgrade older vehicles to newer models is a godsend but it seems like it is splitting up vehicles by age and type and in lategame republics that will be a lot of entries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it's going to be a pretty small amount, just have to build a repair depot and assign it to a DO. You need fractional amounts of those to even build new vehicles so repairs can't be more than that or there'd be no point.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

ArchangeI posted:

Eyebrow decidedly went up when I saw that you need to essentially start importing plastic etc. from day 1(ish) to maintain your fleet. Obviously it depends on how much they actually use to refurbish a vehicle. The automatic replacement screen looks like a dream and a nightmare. Being able to automatically upgrade older vehicles to newer models is a godsend but it seems like it is splitting up vehicles by age and type and in lategame republics that will be a lot of entries.
Presumably you can also just buy vehicles to start with and just run them into the ground. Might actually be more thematically appropriate.

I didn't see any mention of a free version of the repair depot, so in realistic mode, maintenance might be something that you end up ignoring so that you don't have to spend construction resources on it early on.

It might actually push me toward cheaper throwaway vehicles to start with, since currently I fall into using the best "bang for your buck" vehicles in the particular year where I'm playing.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
They could do some neat stuff like have Soviet vehicles requiring more maintenance but being cheap to fix vs western ones being more reliable but expensive to buy and maintain.

I just wish they'd address the current issues with maintaining workers before adding more required workplaces.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A thing that would really change stuff is needing to get your workers back home again after their shifts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Philippe posted:

A thing that would really change stuff is needing to get your workers back home again after their shifts.

if I report this post will you please probe yourself for this suggestion???

I think we collectively chatted about it in the thread earlier but I do wish there was some benefit to like, running inter-city trains. Technically it would kind of load balance random passengers being able to shop and stuff I guess? But it would be cool if somehow linking things like that gave you access to a labor pool in a different way... I dunno.

My point is that I want to run trains from city to city and barring one city lacking a service, there's not really much reason to other than roleplay.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 20, 2023

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, you COULD build your cities in such a way that there's lots of small outlying towns with very minimal services and the only way to get to the fancy stuff like a department store and a cinema is to take a train from the small town to the big city, but... this will just result in all your little guys defecting because they couldn't figure out how to take a train to see a movie and just sat in the Shitgrad train station being bored for a year.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
They could make "going to a different place" a need all of its own. The game has tourism, but not intra-republic tourism, just foreigners. I think it could be cool if people want to visit their families in different parts of the republic once a year or so. With a corresponding happiness boost. Doesn't have to actually track family relationships, just people wanting to enter a different city entity and completing a need there.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2967188065

Mother of God. My prayers are answered.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Careful if you rely on your own crops for food or clothing: this also makes time between harvests longer

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I figured that might be the case, I haven’t tried it out yet because I’ve been on other games. It would be nice if crops could somehow be separated. Give me a spring and summer planting cycle or something.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I just got this game and have already sunk an ungodly number of hours into it.

Playing with most things turned off because I have no idea what I'm building, but I'm slowly building up a small town close to a NATO border. It's incredibly inefficient, but no maintenance and no fuel turned on means I can just spam trucks to do everything.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-74

Hey cool, they're integrating a bunch of Robs074's stuff into the game (among a few others).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The little shunting engines are very cute.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I hope that GG1 goes into the game, I love those things. It's a little early for the game timeline (though some were still in service) so they might only be including the engine in the foreground of that image.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

quote:

Besides these, you can look forward to a small prison, a small Communist HQ, and a small secret police office.

Oh thank gently caress

Still needs the concept of a clinic though for smaller areas that don't need a whole hospital and which can afford to have an ambulance dispatched to

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-or-the-community-75

Extremely excited to run the republic on whatever I can get cheap from crazy vadim's used car, construction equipment, and rolling stock wholesaler.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I never realized I needed a medieval-esque waterfront complete with mazelike streetplan but here we are.

(the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2226799561&searchtext=waterfronte)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, it's time to ask:

I always build my towns to have all services within walking distance of apartments, and the central bus/train station that leads to the industry has to be accessible to the vast majority of residentials.
This leads to my towns being a footpath spiderweb (which is also slow to build) and kind of painful to design.

Is there a better way for bigger cities to transport both your labor and the 'free time' consumers around efficiently?

basically 'how do you do public transport within a city'

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It only works if your bus or tram or whatever stops at a station for every type of need. Citizens aren't smart enough to check the bus schedule to see if it actually goes somewhere that has what they want, so if it doesn't they'll just ride around on the vehicle until their recreation time is over.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arven posted:

It only works if your bus or tram or whatever stops at a station for every type of need. Citizens aren't smart enough to check the bus schedule to see if it actually goes somewhere that has what they want, so if it doesn't they'll just ride around on the vehicle until their recreation time is over.

Kind of, but with one important caveat I think. I believe the behavior is that they’ll queue at a stop, but won’t board a line that can’t satisfy their needs. This is why you’ll get full stops of people looking for prayer but no one gets on the bus when it shows up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arven posted:

if it doesn't they'll just ride around on the vehicle until their recreation time is over.

They're just like me fr

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so do they only scan for the buildings within range of the next stop or do they scan all buildings within range of all stops on the line before getting on?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Kind of, but with one important caveat I think. I believe the behavior is that they’ll queue at a stop, but won’t board a line that can’t satisfy their needs. This is why you’ll get full stops of people looking for prayer but no one gets on the bus when it shows up.

There's something else going on then too, because I have people who just never get off the bus

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arven posted:

There's something else going on then too, because I have people who just never get off the bus

workers or passengers? Could be students looking for a uni?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

double nine posted:

so do they only scan for the buildings within range of the next stop or do they scan all buildings within range of all stops on the line before getting on?
Think of it like scanning all buildings connected to stops on the route. Stops with transfer turned on counts as a building accepting that flavor of person.

Note this behavior is what can lead to infinite loops of cruising on the bus for no reason if you turn on transfer but don't manage what types of person are allowed at transfer stops. They aren't pathfinding to a destination in transfer scenarios, just checking if the buildings connected to a route can accept that sort of person and it's up to you to tune it to allow transfers of only workers, leisures, or students.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Arven posted:

Probably because their original destination was full when the bus arrived, in which case they won't disembark. People will only board a vehicle if there is a valid destination for them somewhere on the line.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Never get off the bus, unless you’re going all the way.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The public beta (grab it on steam betas, if you like) is out with Waste management, demolition, maintenance, fertilizing, etc. Seems really neat! I'll be trying it out later. Caution that everytime I've tried their betas they are truly betas and have had some nasty bugs until their main official update.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Also it incorporates a bunch of mod building so its a good opportunity to go through your mod list and trim it down a bit. I managed to get mine below 700!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Also it incorporates a bunch of mod building so its a good opportunity to go through your mod list and trim it down a bit. I managed to get mine below 700!

gently caress!

Fuuuuuuuck!

(I mean that’s good, but Jesus the effort I’ll have to take.)

E: The bar is no longer "Comrade Bar Drinks" and I'm upset :(

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 12, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FYI there is a mod that adds Moe's bar into the game and while it looks a bit out of place I still love it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2413515472&searchtext=Moe

a little easter egg for your cities

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 12, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

gently caress!

Fuuuuuuuck!

(I mean that’s good, but Jesus the effort I’ll have to take.)

E: The bar is no longer "Comrade Bar Drinks" and I'm upset :(

If you're not just renaming it Stall Inn, I just don't know what to say.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
So how long does it usually take them to go from beta to regular release (or at least some patches)?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

commando in tophat posted:

So how long does it usually take them to go from beta to regular release (or at least some patches)?

I might be badly misremembering but usually a few weeks? I don’t think the public beta period usually goes beyond a month.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was skeptical about trash, demo, maintenance and recycling, but its good. It's certainly getting into *some* annoyances but I think it integrates well with the other games systems better than say, water and sewer. (I am still playing with the slightly-buggy "Time goes 4x slower mod because god drat, yet *another* thing that takes extra time to accomplish stuff. An army of trucks shouldn't take a year and a half to destroy a small old-town 3k from the border.)

There's a ton of tiny QOL things I'm noticing that I missed. More numbers for angles and things when placing curved roads. You can delete ghost/blueprint buildings without unpausing (wooo.) I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

Research is alright. It's better than I thought certainly! The gating isn't *overly* annoying - though I still get mad about some - and a lot of the additions are good. I'm excited to try out the "Lumberjacks replant trees" among other new ones. I wonder if I can use the reduce birthrate one enough to actually balance a population and not have to wonder if my stats for escapes are just from overcrowding or not. There's also various ones for pollution and things that could be promising, though given my propensity for playing super-duper long saves (that I never finish) I suspect I'll finish the research all up front before I need it, really.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Destroying road now downgrades it to dirt road first. Hell yeah, this will allow to upgrade panel roads to asphalt :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

commando in tophat posted:

Destroying road now downgrades it to dirt road first. Hell yeah, this will allow to upgrade panel roads to asphalt :toot:

There’s a little bit of strange behavior with destroying stuff I can’t figure out exactly. It seems like if there is something attached to a road on more than one node (so, not a dead end road) it will revert to dirt. If instead you destroy a road that has *only* a single connection (a dead end, basically) I think it gets rid of it entirely.

I need to experiment with it and see if that’s how it works before I have to destroy a thousand tiny gravel paths of an old town with village houses.