Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Probably because of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

It isn’t as simple as we were told. Even while Chamberlain was signing the Munich Agreement, he was agreeing a huge increase in spending to increase Britain's armament in preparation for war. The agreement bought Britain time to prepare for a war they knew was coming, independent of Chamberlain’s hope that Hitler would honor the agreement.

It’s true we have the benefit of hindsight, but any strategy of playing for time also bought more time for Germany to continue arming.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Gutfeld did an opening monologue about the PGA/Saudi Arabia thing, and he capped it off with a crack about Ilhan Omar marrying her brother “…allegedly” with a smirk I could somehow hear from a different floor from the house and oh god I loving hate him so much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dr Christmas posted:

Gutfeld did an opening monologue about the PGA/Saudi Arabia thing, and he capped it off with a crack about Ilhan Omar marrying her brother “…allegedly” with a smirk I could somehow hear from a different floor from the house and oh god I loving hate him so much.

I've seen bits and pieces of his show a few times when visiting my grandparents, and jesus christ the dude is the smuggest, most insufferable piece of poo poo I've ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The quoted article itself states that "Experts say Africa is one of the regions worst affected by climate change, with devastating droughts and flooding, although its citizens have had barely any impact on global warming compared to Western nations".

African countries also rank relatively lower in terms of "per capita emission of greenhouse gases". For example:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita

That leaves only a limited selection of reasons why John Kerry would be particularly concerned about the birth rates of African countries.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

conservative "humor" is always a treat. for nobody.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fizzy posted:

The quoted article itself states that "Experts say Africa is one of the regions worst affected by climate change, with devastating droughts and flooding, although its citizens have had barely any impact on global warming compared to Western nations".

African countries also rank relatively lower in terms of "per capita emission of greenhouse gases". For example:

That leaves only a limited selection of reasons why John Kerry would be particularly concerned about the birth rates of African countries.

the article you linked seemed entirely clear about why it was being brought up? it was from a conversation primarily about overpopulation

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 8, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

fizzy posted:

That's also a fancy way of saying that African nations are impoverished and that getting a nation out of poverty traditionally involves a massive increase in their greenhouse gas emission per capita. Rapid population growth in an already crowded country doesn't make getting out of poverty easier, and it particularly complicates doing so with sustainable energies.

Now it's fair to say that's still questionable since historically industrialization and improved standards of living lead to a much lower birthrate, but it's hard to say if that's just a rule of how it is or just because it created the circumstances that made more controlled family planning societally acceptable in the industrialized world. And these days even the poor parts of the world experienced the population boom associated with modern farming and medicine even if they didn't get the full benefit rich countries did: it's just that many of them are where it's still happening.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Heckling of African countries about their birth rate by a representative of one of the countries that has despoiled the continent over the past several centuries does not come across as constructive criticism between peers. It's condescending white man's burden poo poo.

Poorer countries have higher birth rates. We in wealthy countries that got rich by making them poor can help by providing aid and/or reparations without strings attached so that they can get to a place where birth rates will fall.

But we won't do that, we'll tell them they can't have the kids they want because Americans have to be able to have cheap meat (and a variety of consumer goods that are cheap because they get the externalities that made them cheap).

[The myth of "consensual family planning"

An African couple in bed.
Man: I consent!
Woman: I consent!
Uncle Sam, hovering creepily: I don't!

Isn't there someone you forgot to ask?]

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 8, 2023

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
birth rates declining is honestly one of the most reliable outcomes of doing things like providing functioning social systems and education (both about sex, and in general) to your populace while also tearing down gender essentialist walls and patriarchal institution ... even if the latter condition usually lags far, far behind. This transformation is, in fact, so effective that you can usually end up with the inverse problem of unmanaged population decline, especially in the most rigorously "your life is now capitalism 24/7" countries like my own

so the problem is usually one of these countries having been exploited for our entire lifetime and only barely being able to float above neoliberally imposed conditions. But that's usually a conversation most of the Ehrlich types don't want to have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Malthusian poo poo has pretty much always been a screaming dogwhistle from the very moment Europeans had the slightest idea of the population of non-white countries. Even if you explain to them the material reasoning and conditions, and that birthrates drop dramatically with development, they won't care. The problem is that too many of the wrong kind of people are being born, and they just currently have acceptable language to say that liberalishly.

Orthanc6 posted:

This is the issue the left, hell even the center faces, we're rapidly running out of time to use ethical means to solve the political, economic and environmental issues facing us. If Trump regains office I'd honestly put it on 50/50 for removing him from power by any means being necessary because he's already empirically demonstrated he intends to become a dictator for life. That option is well outside what would be considered ethical under "normal" circumstances, but that's what happens when evil is allowed to push the necessary response into the unethical.

The US has 2 more chances for solving Trump ethically, 1 is to not vote him in again, the last is if he does get back in to make sure he leaves office again. If he tries to stay in power by force again force in kind will be the only viable response. Or avoid all that by jailing him for any of the thousands of jail-worthy crimes he's committed before the election.

And even that isn't getting how into Trump isn't the problem, he's a symptom. Do you really think anything about Trump is unique or exceptional?

Times like this you need to re-examine a lot of the terms of the paradigm you feel you're under- what those ethics are, what those means are, and what the left and the centre actually are.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

He doesn't heckle african countries, nor does he say that they should have less children, nor does he blame these African countries for the effects of climate change. Some of you are really grasping for something to be angry about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dubar posted:

He doesn't heckle african countries, nor does he say that they should have less children, nor does he blame these African countries for the effects of climate change. Some of you are really grasping for something to be angry about

Why did he bring it up at all?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why did he bring it up at all?

It's hard to know, given that the article does not provide the full transcript of the interview. We have four disconnected quotes from Kerry which are presumably responses to questions or part of some discussion, but we have nothing from the interviewer.

A pessimistic reading of this might imply that whoever wrote the article was mining for quotes to get people mad at John Kerry, especially with the "but refrained from asking Americans to give up steaks" in the subtitle. Good job, I guess?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 8, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Pat Robertson dead, post crabs

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can connect a lot of modern american insanity back to the once significant power of him and the moral majority types, and the cultural backlash to these people being progressively forced to dress up or awkwardly drop a lot of their unveiled bigotry

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Dubar posted:

""I've been to a number of African countries where they're very proud of their increased birth rate but the fact is, it's unsustainable for life today, let alone when you add the future numbers," Kerry said."

How do you read that as anything other than a criticism?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Africa's fertility is normal when you compare it to the factors that influence fertility and compare to more developed nations.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

One day, this hero will be remembered for helping destroy Christianity in America.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Africa's fertility is normal when you compare it to the factors that influence fertility and compare to more developed nations.

That graph really needs a clustering analysis done to be useful, but from eyeballing it it does appear that the center of mass for the sub-Saharan Africa data points is well into the "unusually high fertility" zone. Especially if the radius of those circles is being used to express population size of the data point as I suspect.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
John Kerry has a certain track record when it comes to his messages to African countries.

quote:

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/us-climate-envoy-kerry-calls-african-nations-help-curb-emissions-2022-09-15/

U.S. climate envoy Kerry calls on African nations to help curb emissions
September 17, 2022 6:05 AM

DAKAR, Sept 15 (Reuters) - African nations must help combat climate change and halt a rise in temperatures that is hitting crop yields and causing flooding and drought in the region, U.S. climate envoy John Kerry told a conference in Senegal's capital on Thursday.

At the African Ministerial Conference on Environment in Dakar, Kerry acknowledged that the 48 countries of sub-Saharan Africa emit only 0.55% of global harmful emissions, but said that every nation had to pull together in the face of crisis.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kavros posted:

birth rates declining is honestly one of the most reliable outcomes of doing things like providing functioning social systems and education (both about sex, and in general) to your populace while also tearing down gender essentialist walls and patriarchal institution ... even if the latter condition usually lags far, far behind. This transformation is, in fact, so effective that you can usually end up with the inverse problem of unmanaged population decline, especially in the most rigorously "your life is now capitalism 24/7" countries like my own

so the problem is usually one of these countries having been exploited for our entire lifetime and only barely being able to float above neoliberally imposed conditions. But that's usually a conversation most of the Ehrlich types don't want to have.

Lowering birthrates by dramatically increasing the resource consumption and greenhouse gas emissions per person isn't exactly great for sustainability or the climate either.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

""I've been to a number of African countries where they're very proud of their increased birth rate but the fact is, it's unsustainable for life today, let alone when you add the future numbers," Kerry said."

How do you read that as anything other than a criticism?

Dubar said heckling, you're saying criticism. Why change to a less loaded word?

It *is* a criticism, but it's a very mild one.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 8, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Dubar said heckling, you're saying criticism. Why change to a less loaded word?

It *is* a criticism, but it's a very mild one.

Yeah, I said heckling earlier. It's just hyperbole to indicate that I find his criticism both baseless and in poor taste.

Edit: you may find that a mild criticism, I don't at all. It's shifting blame from the people causing almost all of climate change to the people who will be most affected by it who have done the least to cause it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

Yeah, I said heckling earlier. It's just hyperbole to indicate that I find his criticism both baseless and in poor taste.

Edit: you may find that a mild criticism, I don't at all. It's shifting blame from the people causing almost all of climate change to the people who will be most affected by it who have done the least to cause it.

It's such a weird statement because like I said earlier it doesn't even play into what he then says are the things we can do about global warming. It's a non-sequitur about African birth rates being high and then explaining that actually they don't need to drop and the problem is how we produce food and that we need more efficient systems. But had to drop it in for some reason.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

How much evil did he perpetuate and encourage in life through his programs?

Also, crab tax:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Overpopulation is such a “babby’s first social awareness” thing and people think fretting about it makes them sound smart and serious. People on the left cite it in environmental conservations, people on the right cite it in economic/scarcity-related conversations. (And just to have some xenophobic jollies, as well.) It’s pretty far from being one of the biggest problems in the world. (Usually it’s aimed at the global south but it’s especially funny when they say that our giant empty-rear end country is overpopulated.)

Obviously population cannot grow forever, but there’s also no reason to think that it will. It’s difficult to perceive but the curve is already bending - the rate of growth is slowing - and it’s pretty clear that the “steady state” of a modern prosperous country is stagnation or decrease. So if/when we distribute our resources justly then the population will stabilize on its own.

So what Kerry said probably wasn’t necessary, but it wasn’t really a harmful message, and it’s the kind of thing that old men with prestigious but ultimately toothless jobs talk about. To say that the only possible interpretation of Kerry’s actions is racism, or a general desire for there to be less Africans or poor people in the world, ignores what makes population fall, and Kerry is probably smart enough to know it’s not former almost-Presidents scolding them. If you consider that the most proven strategy for reducing birth rates boils down to “improve quality of life” it’s hard for me to ascribe any kind of malice (or even apathy) to it.

Main Paineframe posted:

Lowering birthrates by dramatically increasing the resource consumption and greenhouse gas emissions per person isn't exactly great for sustainability or the climate either.
it’s not, but we don’t currently know any way of improving global-poverty-level living standards without increasing carbon emissions, and it would be wrong to deny them those living standards.

And that’s why Kerry says, “Africa has to help fight climate change”: not because they need to cut their 0.55% of emissions, but because they need to keep sustainability and carbon efficiency in mind when developing, instead of just building a crap ton of cheap coal plants as industrializing countries did in the past. And the US government is providing aid to subsidize those goals, although probably not nearly as much as they should.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Watching some Pence clips from last nights town hall and the dude was just completely unmoored, trying to thread the needle between his version of moral movement conservativism and the grifting idolatry of modern conservatism. They spent 40 years developing that wing of the Republican party and it is almost entirely erased. Those mid 90s motherfuckers are dying off and there aren't new god botherers coming up to replace them. As central as they were to the political debates of the Clinton and Bush eras, and how quickly all that false morality collapsed once evangelicals realized they could just be racists is really shocking (and frustrating) for someone who grew up in that era.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Randalor posted:

I don't think there was a single thing that sack of poo poo did his entire adult life which wasn't enthusiastically self-serving evil

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Randalor posted:

Also, crab tax:

Instead of a laundry list, how about just the simple fact he was friends and business partners with Charles Taylor and Mobuto Sese Seko and used his religious networks to fund and exploit (in every sense of the word) diamond mines for profit. That's who Pat Robertson was.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m annoyed that the full interview with Kerry doesn’t seem to be online anywhere, except maybe if you pay for AFP, and all we have is out-of-context quotations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Staluigi posted:

I don't think there was a single thing that sack of poo poo did his entire adult life which wasn't enthusiastically self-serving evil

A few years ago he called for marijuana to be legalized.

I think that may be the extent of his "good works."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Staluigi posted:

Much like how Tucker will occasionally say something pro-labor before veering right back into being Tucker, Pat Robertson had moments where he was both pro-Trans rights and pro-BLM, surrounding the other 99.9% of the time he was an abhorrent monster.

Mind you he went right on to demonizing BLM once he realized how the wind was blowing and the trans stuff was years back pre-culture war on them, he would've been Pat Robertsoning it up if he wasn't busy dying hopefully miserably.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Not really. Kerry isn't blaming Africa for climate change at all in those quotes, he's essentially saying a high birth rate isn't something to be proud of.

I'm not sure if it is or it isn't something to be proud of, to be honest, but treating the quote as if Kerry said "African counties and their high birth rates are to blame for climate change" seems like a serious mischaracterization to me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

fizzy posted:

John Kerry has a certain track record when it comes to his messages to African countries.

Again, cutting off half the article really paints a different picture.

quote:

Twenty countries, including the United States, are responsible for 80 percent of global emissions, Kerry said. Coal, oil and gas - drivers of the American economy - are the worst emitters, climate experts agree.

As the impacts of climate change come into focus, large economies have the difficult task of trying to persuade African nations to curb emissions or reduce investments in fossil fuels at a critical juncture in their own economic development.

Senegal will become a significant oil and gas producer when newly-tapped fields off its Atlantic coast begin producing in the next two years. President Macky Sall has said that ending financing for gas exploration would be a "fatal blow" to emerging economies.

Yet, Kerry's message comes at a telling moment: Floods killed hundreds this rainy season in Nigeria, Niger and Chad, and millions face severe hunger in the Horn of Africa from drought.

"We cannot afford to repeat the mistakes of the past," said Kerry. "How you decide to approach the future will have a profound impact, not just on Africa, but on our ability as a planet to solve this problem."

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I want you to imagine Robertson's final Earthly day. He muses on his career as an evangelist, and expects that, as a faithful servant of the Lord, he will ascend into the crystal-blue skies of Heaven via a beam of glorious celestial light on his passing.

And instead, all he can see on the news are images of the skies turning murky and dark and all he can smell are smoke and fire.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Again, cutting off half the article really paints a different picture.

Kerry didn't say that bolded part and it was added to provide context to what he said.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

delfin posted:

I want you to imagine Robertson's final Earthly day. He muses on his career as an evangelist, and expects that, as a faithful servant of the Lord, he will ascend into the crystal-blue skies of Heaven via a beam of glorious celestial light on his passing.

And instead, all he can see on the news are images of the skies turning murky and dark and all he can smell are smoke and fire.

Unless his passing was just him shedding his mortal shell now that he has paved the way for his dark lord's ascension and turning the Earth into a literal Hell on Earth. Was Pat Robertson the antichrist all along? Did anyone happen to notice if he had a peculiar 666 birthmark?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Who had Supreme Court forces Alabama to redraw maps to accommodate black voters on their card for today?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/politics/supreme-court-alabama-voting-rights-milligan/index.html

quote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered Alabama officials to redraw the state’s congressional map to allow an additional Black majority district to account for the fact that the state is 27% Black.

The decision – that affords additional opportunities for minority voters to elect the candidate of their choice – comes as a surprise given the conservative majority on the court.

Supporters of voting rights had feared that the court was going to make it harder for minorities to challenge maps under Section 2 of the historic Voting Rights Act.

Chief Justice John Roberts penned the opinion for a 5-4 majority, siding with the court’s three liberals. Justice Brett Kavanaugh agreed with the key parts of the holding, providing the fifth vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kalli posted:

Much like how Tucker will occasionally say something pro-labor before veering right back into being Tucker, Pat Robertson had moments where he was both pro-Trans rights and pro-BLM, surrounding the other 99.9% of the time he was an abhorrent monster.

Mind you he went right on to demonizing BLM once he realized how the wind was blowing and the trans stuff was years back pre-culture war on them, he would've been Pat Robertsoning it up if he wasn't busy dying hopefully miserably.

somewhate related, SCOTUS apparent did a good voter rights thing?

imo bad peeps like Pat, Tuck, or Court just do the occassional "good/correct" take just to throw a curve ball andor get good karma to spend/burn.

Also is there a reason for da Crabs?