Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Excuse me, the correct term is Veins Of Milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Here's the video with her being interviewed about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoFrVBXgIiE

Also here's a nice postrace interview with Newgarden & Marshall Pruett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xelrJ5IfZcw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

99 times out of 100, those tethers do the job.

Completely lucky that that 100th time that the flying wheel only hit a car. I'm sure they're gonna review the whole system, but the way Kirkwood hit the front wing of Rosenqvist's and the speed combined was probably the biggest factor. I mean, given how the tires would stay attached in a more traditional smack into the wall, I don't really anticipate much of a change if any to them.

It's a testament and a half to the safety improvements that Kyle walked away from that wreck, as well as Stefan being able to walk after as well.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

iospace posted:

Completely lucky that that 100th time that the flying wheel only hit a car. I'm sure they're gonna review the whole system, but the way Kirkwood hit the front wing of Rosenqvist's and the speed combined was probably the biggest factor. I mean, given how the tires would stay attached in a more traditional smack into the wall, I don't really anticipate much of a change if any to them.

It's a testament and a half to the safety improvements that Kyle walked away from that wreck, as well as Stefan being able to walk after as well.

Yeah, I think that hit was just an absolute worst case scenario where most of the impact force just happened to be applied directly to the tethers. Usually in a crash the wheels are being smashed into the body of the car, or at least other parts of the car are also involved in the collision and absorbing some of that energy, but in this case it was basically the rear wheel alone taking the brunt of a massive lateral impact. Can't be easy to engineer a tether system that could withstand the full force of a 1600lb car moving at close to 200mph; there's always going to be some point at which either the tethers or whatever they're attached to are going to fail.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

iospace posted:

Windshields and halos are good.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Too many loving commercial breaks, too much military dickriding, lots of cool TV pod footage tho

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

paul_soccer12 posted:

Too many loving commercial breaks, too much military Santino Ferrucci dickriding, lots of cool TV pod footage tho

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

dennyk posted:

Yeah, I think that hit was just an absolute worst case scenario where most of the impact force just happened to be applied directly to the tethers. Usually in a crash the wheels are being smashed into the body of the car, or at least other parts of the car are also involved in the collision and absorbing some of that energy, but in this case it was basically the rear wheel alone taking the brunt of a massive lateral impact. Can't be easy to engineer a tether system that could withstand the full force of a 1600lb car moving at close to 200mph; there's always going to be some point at which either the tethers or whatever they're attached to are going to fail.

They could maybe extend and/or reinforce the wheel well (idk if that’s what it’s called) to prevent wheel on wheel contact like that.

E: after another look Kirkwood’s tire caught on the front part the wheel well and that’s what knocked it off. I assume that hole needs to be there for tire cooling, but bet the shape can change to help prevent this from happening again.

E: after looking again, Kirkwood’s front tire knocked Felix’s front tire loose which knocked Kirkwood’s rear loose which ramped off of the sidepod/wheel well. Crazy.

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 30, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
With the track side fence from where the tire got launched did it actually have a good shot at going into the stands?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

Too many loving commercial breaks, too much military dickriding, lots of cool TV pod footage tho

I’m watching it back now and yeah, the military and Ferrucci fellatio is loving awful. Good race so far to the halfway point, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Of course they're military dickriding, it's the Indy 500 on Memorial Day Weekend. It's still vastly less than the NOT AS BRAVE AS ARE TROOOOOOOPS 600.

All they've said further on the tether is that the tether itself didn't fail, and Pruett pointed out that the wheel is still attached to the hub. Which tells me they are being very pedantic about the tether itself not failing, but one of the attachment points did.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Complaining about military fellating during a race that is always scheduled on a holiday memorializing KIA troops seems like a pointless endeavor

But seriously though, wtf is up with Townsend Bell putting Ferrucci’s dick in his mouth on live television

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As much as I hate Ferrucci (and it is a LOT), he isn't the slowest driver and had an incredible month of may. I wish him nothing but the worst moving forward.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

As much as I hate Ferrucci (and it is a LOT), he isn't the slowest driver and had an incredible month of may. I wish him nothing but the worst moving forward.

judging by his other finishes this season, he ain't very far off being the slowest driver when he isn't at indianapolis

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

judging by his other finishes this season, he ain't very far off being the slowest driver when he isn't at indianapolis

its foyt. nobody can save those sleds lately, and many have tried.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

santino is, tragically, pretty good at indy

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

santino is, tragically, pretty good at indy

The only positive I can think of about it is, you know, AJ himself has had a rough year and hopefully that outcome puts some cheer back in him. Wish it were literally anyone else in the 14 car though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

bennyfactor posted:

The only positive I can think of about it is, you know, AJ himself has had a rough year and hopefully that outcome puts some cheer back in him. Wish it were literally anyone else in the 14 car though.

Yeah I'd have been outright cheering for them to win otherwise.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

This is a bit of a chaotic track. Miss belle isle

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is a bit of a chaotic track. Miss belle isle

Even if it's a good track every track looks ugly with the jersey barrier walls

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wtf is this track

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The concrete barriers are a nice touch

And by nice I mean lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

this is great stuff

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
These boys are car racing!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oof, bigjohn is not happy with himself on that one

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Grossjean: p2 or dnf

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

4 DNFs on the year for him woof.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bindycar

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

The last 6 laps of this race were more entertaining than a single second of the F1 race this morning.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

The last 6 laps of this race were more entertaining than a single second of the F1 race this morning.

I mean, that’s what each is setup for from a rules perspective so :v:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Conor out at ECR. Kind of surprised they are still referring to the #20 as "Bitnile" since Daly brought that sponsorship and I'd figure that his removal would have to do with that money drying up more than anything.

https://twitter.com/ECRIndy/status/1666482868116246529

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Getting fired mid season is pretty rough. He says he’s not done but realistically I’m not sure where he goes from here.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And yet he has their best finish of the year and isn't exactly a million miles behind Veekay.

It kinda feels there's something else here, especially if they keep his personal sponsor...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Welp

https://twitter.com/ecrindy/status/1666792813411938304?s=46&t=nZVd7-ddwrPvDw33SRVqOQ

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

With pictures like this, I wonder if the logos on the suit are cgi or if they already have one made up in RHR's size and with his logo on it already for him to wear. Interesting regardless. Jake Query (one of the IMS radio network announcers) said on his local morning show this AM that Lundqvist is testing that car this weeking at Sebring and he isn't sure if this announcement means Hunter-Reay will be in the car for the rest of the season or if we will see Linus in it at all.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
going to have to set up a second monitor to watch indycar tomorrow during f1 to see if will power does an Actual Murder

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

going to have to set up a second monitor to watch indycar tomorrow during f1 to see if will power does an Actual Murder

"And Grosjean is a piece of crap [...] he needs a punch in the face" — Will "double bird" Power

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1670140551096844288

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 18, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
road america verdict halfway through: real good poo poo

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

And yet he has their best finish of the year and isn't exactly a million miles behind Veekay.

It kinda feels there's something else here, especially if they keep his personal sponsor...

There was, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sleeping with Ed's wife?