Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

LLSix posted:

I've been playing though System Shock 2023 (the remaster). They did a really good job of it. The controls work (gamepad is pretty floaty so I've been playing kb+m).

Graphics look good. The intro story is short, sweet, and wonderfully effective. Everything is terrible, it's the player's fault, and if they want to survive, they have to fix it. Mostly by shooting everyone they see. It works really well.

The main thing that struck me is that you can really see a straight through-line from System Shock to Prey. It was really surprising to me just how much was carried forward. Prey has often been called the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, but I never felt like that label quite fit. Prey is, however, a very clear iteration on the ideas in System Shock. Both games have spooky, survival-horror elements, but are primarily FPS's.

One thing that I have mixed feelings about is how few changes the System Shock remaster made. There's no quest tracking at all. You have to listen to/read and remember audio logs, often from an hour or more ago, to know what you're supposed to be doing. Important key codes are presented as just numbers on TV screens, not entirely dissimilar from purely cosmetic displays. There's a real sense of discovery and place, but it's also not a convenient game to pick up an put down.

The hacking elements are trippy. They basically put a flight simulator in their fps. Saving is disabled. You have to successfully fly around and shoot everything in one try or start over from the beginning of the "hack." It's the best implementation of a distinct hacking layer I've ever seen and peak 80s cyberpunk.

The ups significantly outweigh the downs. It's a good game.

It's a faithful remake of a game from 1994, you're expected to be taking notes. It is convenient to pick up then.

Would have appreciated some kind of objective/journal type thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
All these games, thanks as always The 7th Guest.

Announcements in general remind me that I'm really starting to wonder what's happening with Hades II. Supergiant generated all this fanfare at the end of last year, and now there's been nothing but radio silence for the last 6 months. At least tell us that early access is in Q4, or getting pushed back, or SOMETHING already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New page, continuing the event from today:

Publisher Spotlight: Freedom Games

One Lonely Outpost (June 26, Early Access) is a sci-fi life-sim where you terraform a distant planet while also doing all the usual things like farming, cooking, fishing, etc.

Echoes of the Plum Grove is another life sim with a more colonial vibe (not the greatest vibe IMO but, there we have it).

Sugar Shack (TBA) is a kind of garish looking 'maple syrup management sim' where you run a food shack in Quebec.

Everholm (2024) is an isometric story-focused life sim where you are spirited to a mysterious island and must learn its mysteries in the hopes of finding your sister.

Vengence of Mr Peppermint (Q3 2023) is a beat-em-up inspired by Korean action films like Oldboy. This one looked kinda interesting to me.

Good Heavens (2024) is an open-world co-op crafty RPG where you can be a farmer, hunter, trader or warrior. The screenshots make the world look kinda.. barren. The dev has an existing early access game that they are struggling to finish (Circadian City), so be wary of this one.

Vertical Kingdom (2024) is a city builder where you can only build upward. It's also got card mechanics and roguelite mechanics because I guess all games have to have them now.

Critter Crops (TBA) did not really look ready for primetime the last time I saw it, and based on this dev's description of their own game in the trailer, it still seems like it's a ways off.

March of Shrooms (Q3 2023) involves amassing a large group of cute mushrooms and acting and fighting as a group. Reminds me a little of Anarcute but from a side perspective.

Symphony of War "Legends" DLC announced, with 8 new chapters. (old screenshot shown)

Airship: Kingdoms Adrift (Q4 2023) has you running an airship crew, exploring and trading as you build up your industrial empire.

LunarLux (2023) is an indie sci-fi RPG that gives me vibes of Gameboy Advance RPGs. It was actually not shown in the showcase, but it was on the Guerilla landing page and I thought it looked neat, so I'm including it.

Publisher Spotlight: HypeTrain Digital

Akatori (TBA) is a Metroidvania (oddly small amount of these this week...) by a, at one point, one-man team (for some reason the Steam page doesn't credit him, boo on HypeTrain). Can't give an opinion until I've played a demo myself, which apparently will happen during the Next Fest.

Gatekeeper (2023) is a top-down co-op ARPG roguelite. Didn't get super interested from the trailer but I guess some people will dig it.

Quasimorph (TBA) is a turn-based extraction roguelite RPG set in space, where you run your own PMC and go on runs to salvage what you can and get out before you get got.

StormEdge (2023) is an action roguelite focused on high-risk/reward skill usage and activating traps.

Rune Coliseum (2024) is a deckbuilding roguelite set in ancient Rome, where you do your best to survive in the coliseum. Unlike others this one is far more real-time and actiony, and inspired by fighting games.

Outbreak Island (2023) is a sandbox survival-horror FPS where monsters roam at night, but the electricity also goes out at night, so you go into facilities with deactivated security/power to arm yourself and upgrade your equipment.

Publisher Spotlight: TinyBuild

The developer of Graveyard Keeper returns to their roots with Punch Club 2 (2023), a sequel to their fighter management sim which looks... honestly like more of the same. Demo available now.

I Am Future (August 8th, Early Access) is self-described as the "coziest post-apocalypse ever". You journey from rooftop to rooftop on a flooded Earth, scavenging, crafting, meeting others, and doing life-simmy things. The demo was, fine, I would say. And the demo is available again for you to try.

Slime3K (2023) is a spinoff of Despot's Game by the same developer. You're a big slow moving slime, and, honestly it looks a bit like a Vampire Survivors clone.

Black Skylands (currently in Early Access) is a top-down airship game where you build up your airship as well as dock on floating islands and fight on them to gain resources and solve puzzles. It's been in Early Access for a couple of years now, but it finally has a 1.0 date: August 3rd

Hello Engineer (2023) is yet another one of these loving games. How many more actual mysteries can surround this dipshit neighbor and his stupid mustache? This one's set in amusement park and is a co-op construction game where you can build vehicles. Hello Nuts and Bolts? Tears of the Neighbor? They also showed a VR Hello Neighbor game that I think is already out so I didn't bother listing it.

The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales (TBA) is a neat mix of first-person walking sim and third-person isometric adventure, where you travel in and out of book worlds, taking things between them to solve puzzles. The demo was pretty cool. Not having a date is... not great. I thought the game was vaporware.

---

So in total they showed 90-ish trailers today, which is obviously why I had to break the post up. There were around 25 games that they didn't show today that are still on their Steam landing page... as I understand it, those games are being made available at their in-person event in LA tomorrow night. There might also be a stream with The Completionist? But it doesn't sound like the kind of event we got today. Another like that will be coming on the 13th focused on two initiatives, Black Voices in Gaming and Dames For Games. But before the 13th comes, there's a heck of a lot of gaming events coming, starting with Geoff Keighley's official Summer Games Fest event tomorrow.

Jossar posted:

All these games, thanks as always The 7th Guest.

Announcements in general remind me that I'm really starting to wonder what's happening with Hades II. Supergiant generated all this fanfare at the end of last year, and now there's been nothing but radio silence for the last 6 months. At least tell us that early access is in Q4, or getting pushed back, or SOMETHING already.
if Hades II were to show up anywhere, it would be at a bigger event like the Future Gaming Show, Geoff's Summer Game Fest event, or Xbox's show. Hades is like Silksong, it's too big a game to be in a smaller event, no matter how long and trailer-jammed it was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mycot posted:

I can't look at AI chat the same way again after a goon (Rutibex) compared the AI to a human toddler, and then asked it to make Princess Peach softcore.

And then wanted a perma because they didn't want to post on a website where people don't think AI chat/art bots should have full AI rights

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
why does the shark have enormous hanging balls

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why wouldn’t it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

smoothest balls of the animal kingdom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

smoothest balls of the animal kingdom

shark skin is covered in dermal denticles, rearwards-pointing serrated scales which aid in swimming

therefore whenever you stroke a shark's balls, only stroke in the direction of its butt or you risk cuts and scrapes

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Hwurmp posted:

shark skin is covered in rearwards-pointing spines called dermal denticles, which aid in swimming

therefore whenever you stroke a shark's balls, only stroke in the direction of its butt or you risk cuts and scrapes

Yeah, and when you do it right, shark balls are smooth as hell.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hwurmp posted:

shark skin is covered in dermal denticles, rearwards-pointing serrated scales which aid in swimming

what kind of psycho strokes balls rear end-to-dick?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kazil posted:

Mr. Peppermint

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

if you're accustomed to shark tits it's an easy mistake to make

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone play Bramble: The Mountain King ? Looks kinda cool.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The 7th Guest posted:

Symphony of War "Legends" DLC announced, with 8 new chapters. (old screenshot shown)
Okay, it's this game.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

New page, continuing the event from today:

Outbreak Island (2023) is a sandbox survival-horror FPS where monsters roam at night, but the electricity also goes out at night, so you go into facilities with deactivated security/power to arm yourself and upgrade your equipment.
they appear to have a free version of this game releasing on Aug.22nd fwiw.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1804630/view/3350135361883499717

quote:

Single player campaign with a thriller story. Pay attention to clues and use your camera to collect evidence. The answer has never been so close.

A diverse open world that lives by its own laws. Whether the island becomes a trap or a comfortable habitat is up to you!

Night raids of the Transformed on your base. Protect your home and it will give you many cozy evenings by the fire, a warm bed and a lot of crafting opportunities.

Also games I have been playing. Mechabellum is an online auto-battler mech game that is really amazing, It has plenty of single player content, so don't be afraid of the multippayer focus, but it really is a multiplayer game, 1v1, 2v2 and tournaments.

I also just bought Vividlope and something I didn't realize from the demo is that this really is inspired by pacman. I'm 4 hours in and these is still a lot of content, and the levels vary a lot, so doesn't really get boring.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rebel Blob posted:

Okay, it's this game.

yep

FE fans don't have a lot of choices on PC

e: it's also weird because that dev made a bunch of decent and uh chaste RPGs up until this point. they made skyborn and echoes of aetheria before symphony of war

Rusty posted:

they appear to have a free version of this game releasing on Aug.22nd fwiw.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1804630/view/3350135361883499717

Also games I have been playing. Mechabellum is an online auto-battler mech game that is really amazing, It has plenty of single player content, so don't be afraid of the multippayer focus, but it really is a multiplayer game, 1v1, 2v2 and tournaments.

I also just bought Vividlope and something I didn't realize from the demo is that this really is inspired by pacman. I'm 4 hours in and these is still a lot of content, and the levels vary a lot, so doesn't really get boring.
vividlope rules! also yea outbreak island has a prologue they're putting out. a lot of games are doing prologues these days because they're literal vertical slices from the final build and they're not as concerned about feedback or bug fixing so they'll stay up forever (prologues are actually considered separate games in your steam library, unlike demos)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 8, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

“what if we made this more like bloodborne”

I don’t know, what if I gave you sixty american dollars

I mean, all the gameplay shown looks identical to remnant 1 but the visual theme of the bloodborne world is :discourse: and there will apparently be two different parts to it, one that resembles yharnam and one that's more healing church cathedral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuSSs32o8I

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I played the LunarLux demo back when it was up and it impressed me enough to back their Kickstarter campaign. Definitely worth keeping an eye on if you think you might be into it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

Okay, it's this game.

After Lady D from RE8 being introduced to the internet, they would be leaving money on table if they DIDN'T put in a giantess

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral
For the Emperor.

In regards to Boltgun, it's absolutely a solid game probably best enjoyed in small doses. I'm currently playing it as palette cleanser, if you will.

The odd chapter here and there between more substantial games, I feel, negates a lot of burnout that people have claimed. I would imagine playing it for several hours consistently over several days would have this effect. However, being an Ultramarine and destroying a few heretics while also serving as a bridge, albeit loosely, for Space Marine II is hell-a-fun.

Also Chaosgate is worth checking out if you like X-Com and 40K. It has steep difficulty curve but rewarding at the same time plus I get to post my favourite quote in regards to this game:

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy — the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial — carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won." ~Justicar Alaric

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 8, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

After Lady D from RE8 being introduced to the internet, they would be leaving money on table if they DIDN'T put in a giantess

The video games space is lousy with giant dudes and nobody bats an eye. But you put one giant woman in a game and suddenly it's for perverts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Manac0r posted:

In regards to Boltgun, it's absolutely a solid game probably best enjoyed in small doses. I'm currently playing it as palette cleanser, if you will.

The odd chapter here and there between more substantial games, I feel, negates a lot of burnout that people have claimed. I would imagine playing it for several hours consistently over several days would have this effect. However, being an Ultramarine and destroying a few heretics while also serving as a bridge, albeit loosely, for Space Marine II is hell-a-fun.

For sure it's a decent enough FPS, and weirdly, despite all of its flaws, it actually makes me really excited in the prospect of sequels that can learn from its mistakes and improve on the aspects that worked. You can really tell that this was the studio's first FPS game, but I can also tell that it was made with a lot of heart.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rebel Blob posted:

Okay, it's this game.

While it's got really good reviews the story of it feels like a 65 year old american white man wrote it
Full of poo poo like friend zone mentions and creepy creepy romances and everyone getting married and having kids as their end goal

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

So, Fire Emblem?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Taear posted:

While it's got really good reviews the story of it feels like a 65 year old american white man wrote it
Full of poo poo like friend zone mentions and creepy creepy romances and everyone getting married and having kids as their end goal

While I dunno anything about this particular game, I doubt any demographic enjoys and writes as much material about video game characters dating and getting married and having kids than the literal opposite of old white guys.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

So, Fire Emblem?

Yeah I was going to say that is literally the last few games at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

While I dunno anything about this particular game, I doubt any demographic enjoys and writes as much material about video game characters dating and getting married and having kids than the literal opposite of old white guys.

It's very small c conservative, you'd have to play it to see

It's not about people getting dating and married, it's just how their end works out. It's not at all like fire emblem. It's more like someone played fire emblem and went "Oh poo poo we probably need that" then did their weird conservative version of that same thing
There's no choices, no romance, just "These guys saw each other and are married now". It's gated by content rather than anything you actually do, it just HAPPENS, no matter how you play.

I did a review mentioning it but specifically:

quote:

However, there's basically "friend" or "romancing" and that's it. They're also all story locked, they just happen when you get to that point in the story. I feel like they exist entirely because Fire Emblem has them and for no other purpose and they're extremely arbitrary.
They also read like a really old person wrote them, utterly packed with elipsis. Yes we need to...get to the western part of the continent and...defeat the enemies there I...do believe. It makes the dialogue FEEL really slow and it's jarring.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 8, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

So many times I see a great-looking town building or chill life village/farming sim and then... it's got loving deck-building mechanics in it.

STOP IT.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Autisanal Cheese posted:

So many times I see a great-looking town building or chill life village/farming sim and then... it's got loving deck-building mechanics in it.

STOP IT.

Well ok but where do you sit and watch the sunset then?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Well ok but where do you sit and watch the sunset then?
Hopefully patio building mechanics are still okay

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

mystes posted:

Hopefully patio building mechanics are still okay

Throw A Bit of Concrete Down Simulator

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

It's not about people getting dating and married, it's just how their end works out. It's not at all like fire emblem. It's more like someone played fire emblem and went "Oh poo poo we probably need that" then did their weird conservative version of that same thing
There's no choices, no romance, just "These guys saw each other and are married now". It's gated by content rather than anything you actually do, it just HAPPENS, no matter how you play.

I did a review mentioning it but specifically:

it has gay options. there is def a bent to the writing that i don't enjoy, but you are making it sound like it's trad wife tactics, when it's just kinda generic dumb guy vibes.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 8, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Amateurish writing isn't really unique in the field of indie games inspired by classic jrpgs and I'm more ready to chalk up any weirdness to that more than politics if it's that subtle.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Taear posted:

So, a JRPG?

There is so much of that type of poo poo in JRPGs that for whatever reason, most gamers miss. For example, I just finished 13 Sentinels for example, and got some... disturbingly nationalistic aspects to it that I haven't heard any critics mention, even those of the 'I had a social awakening in 2020' type.

sad question
May 30, 2020

You gotta pay the honey toll, if you want to get into that Winnie's hole

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

So, a JRPG?

There is so much of that type of poo poo in JRPGs that for whatever reason, most gamers miss. For example, I just finished 13 Sentinels for example, and got some... disturbingly nationalistic aspects to it that I haven't heard any critics mention, even those of the 'I had a social awakening in 2020' type.

Nationalism is different from small c conservative.
I mean more 1950s trad values and typing from a person who isn't computer literate more than anything

Maybe that term is more of a british thing

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's half baked and all in all pretty light with a focus on the srpg aspect, but I think you might be reading into it a little

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's half baked and all in all pretty light with a focus on the srpg aspect, but I think you might be reading into it a little

It literally has the phrase "the friend zone"
A male character tells a female character "maybe you should smile more"

Definitely not reading into it, it's proper old fashioned.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Again, aside from the 'friend zone' references everything you've mentioned is also found in the kind of JRPGs and anime the devs were probably inspired by.

I will give you that they can seem more jarring when they're in Western media, because the connection to existing political and social movements is more obvious for many.

I am not calling you out specifically, but this kind of cognitive dissonance is really common amongst socially progressive/leftist weebs. Like people who have ACAB on their profile while having anime avatars from poo poo like Hetalia.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
there is a kind of unwritten rule amongst dota players that anime avatar players are the most toxic