Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Necro feels great with controller. Haven’t had issues with ranged aiming, but can’t speak to teleport shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Does the WT2 get harder or does it stay the same? I’m at 26 with my sorc and it has been doable, I only die to very stupid crap. The largest issue is damage, it takes so long to kill mobs. Maybe I got used to PoE’a kill speed.

If you're asking me, I don't know, I leveled on WT1 the whole way. IIRC I tried WT2 in the Beta thinking, "I've played a Diablo before I know what I'm doing" but the scaling just seemed too tough out of the gate for my underpowered Werewolf Druid so I quickly reverted :)

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Lv 18, just finished a1. Necro w/ minions, I had to switch to WT2 because 1 was too easy.

I miss level milestones, 18 meant I could put my first point into Chain Lightning and start clear screens.

Not feeling it much so far but we'll see.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Does the WT2 get harder or does it stay the same? I’m at 26 with my sorc and it has been doable, I only die to very stupid crap. The largest issue is damage, it takes so long to kill mobs. Maybe I got used to PoE’a kill speed.

WT2 requires you to at least pay some attention to your armor and weapons mods and you must stack something (some kind of % damage) or you will not succeed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
"Ranged" aiming is probably one of the lesser issues in Diablo 4, a game where you can barely see ten feet in front of you thanks to patented TurboZoom(tm). My biggest aiming issue is when an enemy is too close, so it decides ice shards need to fire exactly one pixel to the left and miss the entire volley.

DarkDobe posted:

Teleport into middle of group. Hold rclick to cast 3 static bolts. Everything explodes. Rinse and repeat.

This is why sorcs (and necros I hear but cannot confirm) are really in need of a rework. There's a whole lot of normally cool gameplay synergies, even if sorc is just barrier plus vulnerability, that make packs vanish in a red mist in a very satisfying way. At early (like pre-50) levels that sucks, because you don't have the CDR on gear and the aspects to really pull off your combo on every pack so you sit and spin while cooldowns/mana come back. Then everything comes online and it's great... and then you hit the high end where your single-target is total poo poo because all those combos rely on statuses that bosses are all immune to.

Ideally they'd eventually add in more legendaries to bridge the gap and maybe tweak some mechanics. I remember seeing a talent or aspect at some point that worked differently for bosses so it's a thing they already can do. Basically just bump everyone into Rogue territory and we're good until more content gets added that dorks it all up again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

The High textures are starting to look quite muddy after a while. Path of Exile doesn't have a similar texture problem. On Ultra the game stutters badly with 32GB of ram and 10GB of vram with 3080. How much VRAM the ultra textures require? Do I need to get a 2nd hand 3090 or something with 24GB of vram?

The game was stuttering for me on Ultra with a 4080 and 12 GB of VRAM. I suspect there's something a little busted with how Blizzard implemented the hi-res textures, or they really do require a 4090. I also saw a few cases of textures failing to load in properly on High, like it's some Unreal Engine game.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Ihmemies posted:

It kinda comes in highs and lows, unlocking key skills and getting a good legendary with build synergy can make it feel like a breeze, but going levels without significant gear upgrades or encountering a lot of an enemy type your build has trouble dealing with can slow you down a bunch. Figuring out what your build wants to do and focusing hard on that helps a lot.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

The High textures are starting to look quite muddy after a while. Path of Exile doesn't have a similar texture problem. On Ultra the game stutters badly with 32GB of ram and 10GB of vram with 3080. How much VRAM the ultra textures require? Do I need to get a 2nd hand 3090 or something with 24GB of vram?

Drop antialiasing to 4x should be fine. I play on Ultra with 8gb of Vram (AMD 530sapphire) and 32GB ram

Unless you play on a TV screen. Performance on TV sucks for me unless I drop the game settings to Low. Granted, I have not tried finetuning the settings. I switch back and forth a lot and CBA to swap 1000 settings each time. I go either Low for TV or Ultra + AntiAliasing x4 for PC monitor and its smooth

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I tried playing with a controller tonight, and it is about 20x more enjoyable that way. Almost feels like it's the intended way to play the game. The only downside I encountered is that I didn't seem to have much control over Teleport on my Sorceror (it seemed to either teleport a specific distance in the direction you're facing, or behind an enemy you're aiming at - which is usually fine, but can be annoying when you're wanting to do use Teleport to reach terrain across a gap, or if you just want to make a lot of distance between you and a mob; it has a bad tendency to just send me behind elite mobs when I'm trying to teleport far past them). But it's a lot less awkward than trying to use the mouse to simultaneously attack and dodge. I also had an easier time noticing my skill procs (from the Frost passive that gives a chance at an enhanced mana-free attack) since I could look at my character, instead of needing to keep my focus on my mouse cursor. I imagine it's even better for a more melee-oriented class.

I 100% agree on the controller and I'm just about exclusively a KB/M person. I also have an issue with precisely targeting with shadow step but it's a price I'm willing to pay for how fluid and natural playing with controller feels.

I probably wouldn't play twisting blades rogue without it.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 8, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I will never play on controller. My wrists are strong. I've been training to play D4 on KB/M my entire life.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kaddish posted:

I 100% agree on the controller and I'm just about exclusively a KB/M person. I also have an issue with precisely targeting with shadow step but it's a price I'm willing to pay for how fluid and natural playing with controller feels.

I ve been stubbornly playing penetrating shot + poison trap but Im thinking I'll just switch to twisting blades shadowstep like everybody else. Must be insanely fast and cool

Ehud posted:

I will never play on controller. My wrists are strong. I've been training to play D4 on KB/M my entire life.

The click to move though... Just suck.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ehud posted:

You should try it. I've never even played an arpg with a controller aside from maybe the Baldurs Gate one on the original Xbox. It's awesome.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I ve been stubbornly playing penetrating shot + poison trap but Im thinking I'll just switch to twisting blades shadowstep like everybody else. Must be insanely fast and cool

The click to move though... Just suck.

It's very fast and a lot of fun.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

putin is a oval office posted:

Pretty impressive feat, nice one! What's your class/build out of curiosity?

Rogue with puncture builder and barrage spender. Poison trap, death trap and caltrops as filler to CC and boost barrage damage.

Barrage is a real fun skill to use, but I don't see many people running it. It clears packs amazingly well and claps one single target when you just shotgun from point blank. Poison trap applies a lot of damage modifiers and knocks eveyrthing down for a sec. Together with the trap capstone talent poison trap and death trap get off cooldown really fast. I'm using caltrops to get out of sticky situations and I make it chill so I can use a legendary that makes grenades (drops from the captsone talent too) freeze chilled enemies.

If you get the flow right you can CC packs for a very long time. If you notice poo poo is going sideways you just dash / caltrops out and try get your sequence right for a second try.

Very fun playstyle tbh

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mikojan posted:

Rogue with puncture builder and barrage spender. Poison trap, death trap and caltrops as filler to CC and boost barrage damage.

Barrage is a real fun skill to use, but I don't see many people running it. It clears packs amazingly well and claps one single target when you just shotgun from point blank. Poison trap applies a lot of damage modifiers and knocks eveyrthing down for a sec. Together with the trap capstone talent poison trap and death trap get off cooldown really fast. I'm using caltrops to get out of sticky situations and I make it chill so I can use a legendary that makes grenades (drops from the captsone talent too) freeze chilled enemies.

If you get the flow right you can CC packs for a very long time. If you notice poo poo is going sideways you just dash / caltrops out and try get your sequence right for a second try.

Very fun playstyle tbh

Barrage in cramped spaces though. I did not like it at all but Penetrating shot has it all. Trap + Caltrops very satisfying to use too, but skipping Dash is never good and I feel like there is no room for Caltrops with how good the imbue skills are.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Barrage in cramped spaces though. I did not like it at all but Penetrating shot has it all. Trap + Caltrops very satisfying to use too, but skipping Dash is never good and I feel like there is no room for Caltrops with how good the imbue skills are.

Barrage is still very nice to proc lucky hits. Every arrow has a 16% chance while puncture is a single arrow with 50%.
So it pairs up really nicely with the trap capstone. I agree on the imbue tho. Ive seen boots with a chill trail on some streams. My goal is to get those and then ditch caltrops. I just need a source of chill for my grenades.

Then I'll probably fit in an imbue instead. Not sure which one theyre all p good for my build

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just switched from Momentum to Victimize because of a nice aspect that heals me off Victimize explosions, it's pretty nice and I don't miss the Momentum buff. At least not yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Finished the story last night, the ending was kind of weak, I felt like the entire last act was setting up an expansion hook. But the stuff leading up to it, including Lorath's emergency surgery and deal with the Tree, were pretty great. I'm happily surprised at the writing they put into the game as a whole. And now I am into adventure mode so I'm alting up a storm lol

I got a legendary for my necro at the last minute that hyped me up because it was basically +75% damage for shadow abilities if both area debuffs are applied to an enemy. Pretty good! Issue then became that A) you can't tell exactly who is debuffed or not outside the first few second when they icon is on the ground and B) shadow abilities largely rely on enemies standing still in puddles to get the largest affect and *slows/roots don't work on bosses*. I died 6 times on the last boss trying to make that build work before giving up and just switching back to summoner build and melting thr boss in one go.

I chewed through Barb some more and he is certainly growing on me fast. Survivability is still a bit of an issue but with some basic perks his ability to generate Fury shoots *way* up and you end up less starved during fights. I'll probably dive into the classic whirlwind build just because it opens up enemies like can openers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ihmemies posted:

Turn the difficulty down. It's okay to play through the story on WT1. You'll be able to kill mobs quicker so you'll level faster and find better gear faster. Once you get closer to the end of the game if it's too easy then bump it back up to WT2.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
WT2 shouldn’t exist except for alts. There’s no good reason to do it other than having a overgeared and stated alt. Even then it’s questionable because the benefit of doing it is so low versus the health increase on mobs.

If it was +50%, there might be an argument for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Saltpowered posted:

WT2 shouldn’t exist except for alts. There’s no good reason to do it other than having a overgeared and stated alt. Even then it’s questionable because the benefit of doing it is so low versus the health increase on mobs.

I thought that there was significant benefit to WT2 til I looked at the world tier menu again and saw it was what, 15% more xp and 20% more gold? Be still my beating heart.

I probably would have still run the campaign on WT2 just out of sheer "I'm not running no nonGAMER easy mode" spite as I repeatedly slam face first into walls but I would have at least given a second thought to dropping down a tier later on when it's all elites all the time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, should I be doing the Acts in order? I just realized I have 3 different main quests I can handle, and they all have the same level. I've just kinda been going to whatever's close, and I'm in the middle of all three right now.

e: oh, also, is there some passive healing mechanic that I don't know about? I'm always getting in fights with ranged goatmen or spirits that throw magic, but at the end of the fight I'm often still at full health despite having soaked up a bunch of spears.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 8, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My only issue with WT1 is that it's too drat easy. There's nothing resembling a challenge. With WT2 I have to keep on my toes during boss fights and certain events. But trash in WT2 is tedious to kill because it has so much health.

I wish there were a level in between, and that WT2 gave a bit more bonus XP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Hey, should I be doing the Acts in order? I just realized I have 3 different main quests I can handle, and they all have the same level. I've just kinda been going to whatever's close, and I'm in the middle of all three right now.

e: oh, also, is there some passive healing mechanic that I don't know about? I'm always getting in fights with ranged goatmen or spirits that throw magic, but at the end of the fight I'm often still at full health despite having soaked up a bunch of spears.

You can do them in any order but you have to finish 1-3 before you can go into 4.

There isn't a significant default healing system, are you sure none of your abilities give healing or fortify/barrier you so that you aren't eating into your base health?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Saltpowered posted:

I mean, I think the “argument” is for it to be a more challenging option for people who like the campaign and aren’t necessarily in a hurry to get to the endless endgame grind.

For me, personally, I’ve had a typical reverse difficulty curve so far on wt2 where it started out tough but now feels pretty easy. I’m only level 36 and just starting act 4, though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I started on WT2 and became fairly certain that it took more than 20% longer to clear stuff because of the big health increases on bosses and elites.

I ended up playing WT1 until like 48 then turning it to WT2 to run the capstone dungeon, then immediately turning it up to WT3 so I could get unique drops.

WT2 seems pointless and provides very little benefit unless you like it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yes, difficulty settings exist to provide options for gamers of different preferences and skill levels. I'm glad WT2 is in so I wasn't sleepwalking through the campaign.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I would. The story just kinda flows that way anyway

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
WT2 felt good for a full 4 player group campaign clear, probably wouldn't have used it for solo play.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Passive healing is a really common trait on rings. I keep one around most of the time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Yes, difficulty settings exist to provide options for gamers of different preferences and skill levels. I'm glad WT2 is in so I wasn't sleepwalking through the campaign.

It's probably snobby to say it but I did feel like playing WT2 helped smooth out some of the walls for me too. I did feel like I had to engage with my skill tree a lot more earlier on instead of just right clicking my way through every encounter, and as a result I put together builds that worked well on bosses that I hear a lot of people struggled with.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I kinda miss the many difficulty tiers of post-RoS D3. Partially because the base difficulty was really loving easy and partially because the top torment tiers had ridiculous enemy bonuses. 13888770% enemy health bonus at Torment XVI :eyepop:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

Drop antialiasing to 4x should be fine. I play on Ultra with 8gb of Vram (AMD 530sapphire) and 32GB ram

Unless you play on a TV screen. Performance on TV sucks for me unless I drop the game settings to Low. Granted, I have not tried finetuning the settings. I switch back and forth a lot and CBA to swap 1000 settings each time. I go either Low for TV or Ultra + AntiAliasing x4 for PC monitor and its smooth

I have to look at AA. I’m using DLSS with HDR on a 42” LG C2 tv. Maybe the hdr is causing it then!? It is a mystery :shrug:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Any idea yet how reliable getting specific unique items is over time? In D3, you grind and gamble and you’ll get them all - and since they are still account bound, I assume it’ll hold here.

But is that roughly guaranteed by… level 70? 100? I might lose steam on my sorc if I don’t get the hoover vacuum chest

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I wish they were 15-30 minutes longer, I play a lot but everytime I look it seems like there's less than 20 minutes left. Also I wish there was a tab or something that listed when events are starting.

https://d4events.live

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I kinda miss the many difficulty tiers of post-RoS D3. Partially because the base difficulty was really loving easy and partially because the top torment tiers had ridiculous enemy bonuses. 13888770% enemy health bonus at Torment XVI :eyepop:

I assume those will come in at some point, D3 only launched with Torment 1 as I recall. Not that we can map the post-development progression of D4 onto D3 exactly, that was a complete loving disaster. God I hated the auction house.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I started on WT2 and at about Act 4 I swapped down to WT1. I feel like all it really did was give things like bosses more health without a commensurate increase in rewards/exp/etc. WT1 still felt pretty good so I just kept it there.

I think the problem I ran into later was I had a mental block about increasing to WT3 later on because of how I was experiencing WT1. I was basically thinking well... I'm hardly speed clearing bosses right now why should I feel confident at a higher difficulty. But once I finally bit the bullet and did the capstone I realized the increase in difficulty in WT3 was well worth the rewards in a way WT2 wasn't.

Basically there's nothing wrong with WT1 and going right to WT3 and you should get to 3 as soon as possible.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Diablo IV is good and, like all sane men/women, I am a holy necromancer. Why shoot lightning when you can command an army of the dead?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WT2 is pretty much pointless unless you want the added challenge of bosses with forever HP. You can finish the campaign and instantly do the capstone for WT3, probably faster than if you had played the entire game on T2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Diablo IV is good and, like all sane men/women, I am a holy necromancer. Why shoot lightning when you can command an army of the dead?

And obscure the entire screen so none can see your evil deeds!

WT2 is pretty clearly for faster alt leveling, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Getting a little tired of blood necro, are there any fun alternatives for Nightmare and up?

I'm having a blast in WT3 with a hybrid poison/summon necro. Basically lean into the corruption stuff, stack pet and corruption passives, and corpse explode the world. It helps if you have some secondary poo poo that generates corpses (so use the reaper skellies etc).

I picked up the gloves that make my corpse explosions suicide bomber skellies that naruto run at the enemy before blowing up for 40% more damage and rofl it's just gross.

Use either bone spear or bone spirit as your resource spender, depending on how often you like spamming the button. Grab the passive that gives you spirit every time you consume a corpse.

The only thing I've had real trouble with in WT3 was the butcher, and that was because he just bee-lines you rather than engaging your minions.