Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah. Living in Ottawa the nation's capital. Smog is so bad from the wildfires we have the worst air quality index in the world

edit:
https://twitter.com/RoughChopOttawa/status/1665830424885559296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

How dare Prince Harry condemn the people who hacked his phone!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Islamic Shock posted:

Fixed ol' Wife McBeaty's.

I just looked it up. Joke's on us!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Out of curiosity, I went back and watched this scene in the original. He doesn't say "No" even once.

The worst type of hack: a misquoting hack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The_Other posted:

lmao, I just want to show my love for this comic. It's all the little details that make it: the US flag over the Taco Bell, the crying El Chapo, the stereotyped "Low-Class Mexican Food Peddlers (Probably Mexican)" speaking in quoted Spanish.

:discourse:

(All-American Mexican Food) has me dying

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also for that Ramirez "Planet of the Cities with Progressive Policies" is far more egregious imo.

Like straight up didn't even try with that one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

I don't think you can blame progressive politics for the fact that the entire San Francisco Peninsula has disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Leftist politicians are notoriously soft on mysterious fogs that consume entire cities.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Taco Blues-Day"

Some fun additional notes:
Taco John's was founded in Wyoming by a dude named John Turner, who was white and never pretended otherwise. The entire company structure has more crackers than a new year's party.
The trademark challenge in question literally just happened; Taco John's, already hold a taco tuesday trademark; they registered it in the 1980s, and it's held in every state but New Jersey, where the inventors of the term hold the trademark.
In NJ, Taco Tuesday is trademarked by its inventor, the extremely Mexican, very Hispanic Gregory's Restaurant and Bar. These humble immigrants invented Taco Tuesday in the 70s when "A friend from Texas" helped them prepare the very first of their highly authentic tacos:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also for that Ramirez "Planet of the Cities with Progressive Policies" is far more egregious imo.

Like straight up didn't even try with that one.

The more I think of it the more contrived it is. You could use this - horribly dated - reference for absolutely any cartoon that covers the concept of "thing with good intentions resulted in disaster"*

Planet of the Middle East Interventions (pictured: a burnt out humvee)

Planet of the Nuclear Power Plants (pictured: a meltdown)

Planet of the Ice Creams (pictured, a dropped ice cream, upside down on the floor, melting)

*and it doesn't even fit the reference anyway :pwn:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I disagree with this.

Hey.

You can stop this lovely gimmick already.
You won.

The Nib is over. They are no longer going to be able to make comics soon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Philip Lowe, Reserve Bank of Australia governor, who keeps raising interest rates.

Rowe:

Spooner:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Biden Throws Student Loan Borrowers under the Bus

"Ted Rall posted:

Young voters were key to electing Joe Biden in 2020. Student loan forgiveness was the biggest issue for them, and now he has traded it away to the Republicans in debt ceiling negotiations. This is a decision he may live to regret.

I just want to point out that this is exactly the opposite of true.

What was in the bill was a guarantee that student loan payments would resume no later than 60 days after June 30, 2023. Canceling the student loan forgiveness plan was explicitly not in the bill, and that undermines the SCOTUS cases against forgiveness - both sides have agreed that Congress has the ability to regulate student loans, and they chose not to block student loan forgiveness.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

Using the old political cartoon trick of disingenuously rephrasing an existing thing to make it sound way worse than it is, except even just outright lying about it wasn't enough so it still isn't human trafficking even by his fictionalized definition.

It's worse than that! It's a direct attempt to discredit and diminsh the attempts of other states to investigate whether Governors Abbot and DeSantis could be charged with human trafficking for sending the migrants to them in their awful loving publicity stunts. It's a literally "I'm rubber you're glue whatever you call my heros sticks back on you" from Mike Lester in trying to claim that moving migrants into temporary housing is just as bad even worse a crime because it uses taxpayer money as if the original Texas and Florida stunts didn't.

I hope Lester dies painfully when he goes.

Or, y'know:

Murdstone posted:

I’d like to offer a hearty gently caress you to Mike Lester.

gently caress you, Mike Lester.

Thank you for your patience as I said gently caress you to Mike Lester.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 8, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

David Horsey

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

I admit to not paying as much attention to this thread as I used to, so maybe I missed something, but this is the first cartoon I recall portraying DeSantis as having any chance in the nomination.

And, like, it doesn't even even portray the man himself or make any strong statements of confidence. It just portrays him running. It's just the first one I've seen without a heavy backdrop of "lmao gently caress off", from either the Democrat or Republican viewpoint.

Completely unrealistic, you know she'd misgender her deliberately.

Crunch Buttsteak fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 8, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Can we have a Kellies Kategory for Worst New Artist? Ed Gamble and David M Hitch are painful to look at in different ways, but there isn't one cartoon in particular that stands out from either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Haitian posted:

Can we have a Kellies Kategory for Worst New Artist? Ed Gamble and David M Hitch are painful to look at in different ways, but there isn't one cartoon in particular that stands out from either.

Sure, you can make the nominating posts- I'm not going to try to parse or evaluate "new artist", so it'll be on the honor system.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Kellies nominations: Worst New Artist

Any cartoon by either artist could stand in for their entire body of work and they're terrible in different ways.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Gamble's been around forever, though, you can look at the OP for the Politoon thread a decade ago - he's in the cartoonist index and noted for having the worst color palette in the thread (at the time).

Or we can still call him new, whatever. At least he's not using neon green as much any more.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Gamble's art looks like he used to be competent and now doesn't care or has had age related issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Gamble's art looks like he used to be competent and now doesn't care

The Payne Transition

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

It's only 2023! Nonsense! This (isn't) an election year!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Republicans are willing to die to (in their mind) own the libs. A Good Cartoon.

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Republicans are willing to die to (in their mind) own the libs. A Good Cartoon.

Lol I dunno what to make of this one.

I doubt branco's message is "right wingers are snubbing entire brands to their own detriment just because they did something slightly woke one day"

but it's either that or "good thinking right wingers are rightly accepting death over interacting with a brand that has gone woke"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Lol I dunno what to make of this one.

I doubt branco's message is "right wingers are snubbing entire brands to their own detriment just because they did something slightly woke one day"

but it's either that or "good thinking right wingers are rightly accepting death over interacting with a brand that has gone woke"

Both outcomes are positive.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Beer does not hydrate you. A public service announcement cartoon.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

arguably it provides some hydration, but I can't imagine being out in the sun, desperately needing hydration, and chugging a couple of beers to solve it and the next day thinking "wow! that was a great idea that didn't turn against me in the slightest"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
One might argue that bud light is the most hydrating substance of all: water

*audience laughs politely, scattered claps*

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Wine on the Desert Cartoon

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I need one cartoonist to please have the courage to depict Pat Robertson in Hell.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

As someone living where the smoke is impacting: gently caress you, Skelley.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Putin and the collapse of the Nova Kakhovka dam – Ukraine has blamed Russian occupying forces for destroying the critical dam, which has unleashed an ecological disaster, flooding a swathe of the war’s frontline"

Telegraph:

Britain will take world lead on AI threat, Sunak to tell Joe Biden

Matt:

PGA Tour and DP World Tour to merge with LIV Golf as bitter rivals call truce

Independent:

Plan for GPs to offer controversial celebrity weight loss jab

Times:

Evening Standard:

https://twitter.com/Adamstoon1/status/1666749620410621952

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Still waiting on the first cartoonist to label the smoke "wokeness" or "progressive policies". Bonus points if it has a Black person saying "I can't breathe".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Haitian posted:

Still waiting on the first cartoonist to label the smoke "wokeness" or "progressive policies". Bonus points if it has a Black person saying "I can't breathe".

drat I can see the Ramirez now. A lovingly detailed forest, each tree labelled something democraty, all ablaze. Confusingly, a caption says "can't see the forest for the trees"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's still better than nothing if you're dying of thirst in the desert.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's so wonderful to see that used as a metaphor by someone who openly supports sending real people to die horribly in the real loving desert (and still calls it an "open border" as long as it's a Democrat doing it).

Ain't no :fuckoff: big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah didn't people in old timey times drink mostly beer or wine mixed with water because everyone pooped in the river so you wanted some alcohol in it to sterilize it.

Fake edit

Could you drink beer instead of water and still survive?

quote:

According to the researchers, these results indicate that beverages with low alcohol concentrations have "a negligible diuretic effect" when consumed in a state of exercise-induced dehydration. The researchers conclude that recovering from a state of dehydration is effectively the same whether you're rehydrating with water, or a beverage containing up to 2% alcohol — though drinks containing 4% alcohol, they write, "tend to delay the recovery process."

Of course, "delay" ≠ "prevent entirely," so what the researchers are actually saying is: yes, you can rehydrate with a beverage containing roughly 4% alcohol; you'll just recover more slowly than you would with a 2% brew in your hand. This is good news, as beers that are 2% ABV can be somewhat hard to come by. In the U.S., most reduced alcohol beers (aka "Light" beers, like Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Lite) come in at around 4.2% ABV, though there are some exceptions. Miller 64, for example, weighs in at 2.8% ABV, and Beck's Premier Light at just 2.30% ABV.

So yeah while drinking the Bud Lite would keep you from dying of dehydration (and you could do better with unlimited free Bud Lite since you could open it and let the alcohol evaporate faster than the water), it is not worth it because the beer is woke.