Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cyrano4747 posted:

nah she sucked. So did Inarius. D4 leaned heavy into the WH40k style "there is seriously no good guy here, folks" stuff.

It's not really clear to me, are the High Heavens just as interested in burning down Sanctuary as the Evils? That was my impression but what I've read online is kind of contradictory.

The story definitely had a bit of grey going through the plot because, idk, I get it? Yeah Lilith is evil but man look at the alternatives. I can understand why someone would think that fighting hellfire with hellfire would be a good idea since as was established before soulstones aren't poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I've been trying out an all blood skill (+ decrepify), no corpse use necro (at level 48, post story). It feels like it could work with a few upgrades, but I'm really missing the resource gen/damage from corpse explosion. I'm working on equipping the aspect that lets me generate essence when I collect blood orbs, but I think even that isn't going to be enough with how few blood orbs generate compared to corpses. Maybe if I get lucky with a high roll version at some point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure he straight up did a D3-style muwahahahah villain laugh heel turn when we greased him.

Yeah, lol. SOmething something tried to use the black soulstone for himself, turns to camera to offer the heros the chance to abandon their quest and rule all of eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWOOodThDoU

God man watching this after the D4 story really made me remember why the D3 story was mediocre.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's not really clear to me, are the High Heavens just as interested in burning down Sanctuary as the Evils? That was my impression but what I've read online is kind of contradictory.

The story definitely had a bit of grey going through the plot because, idk, I get it? Yeah Lilith is evil but man look at the alternatives. I can understand why someone would think that fighting hellfire with hellfire would be a good idea since as was established before soulstones aren't poo poo

They were until Tyrael said "na let 'em live." But since then it seems more dismissive of humanity even though we saved their rear end in D3. Thanks assholes

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I think there's a tentative peace after we help save them in d3 and we clear out the insane angels in RoS.

There being no angels at all in d4 besides inarius is kinda weird though. I get why they're not helping him, but tyriel at least should be present or at least mentioned.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Tyreal's a mortal now though, so presumably he's just dead. He did get the days eating out of the way all at once.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tyrael is mentioned, if only briefly.

Donan will mention him in act 3 stating that something spooked him and he left somewhere, and him leaving is the reason the new Horadrim started to fall apart.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Not that the game is totally "solved" but I looked at maxroll for Druid builds and not a one is using any of the skills I like. Coincidence that I also feel weak as poo poo? :v:

Everything on maxroll is definitely going to work as well as they say it is, but they aren't the only viable builds or anything. The guide writing community for ARPGs is still kind of small, so they still have ethics about "stealing" builds from each other, icy veins builds are also pretty good and mostly different from maxroll. Not sure what build you're using though, I did tornado for the campaign and pulverize/trampleslide afterwards and they've all felt powerful, though I hated the playstyle of trampleslide.

Most builds aren't going to feel good unless you get the aspect that enables it, and if there isn't an aspect that looks like it would enable your build it's uh..probably gonna suck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on who in the high heavens you're talking about. That was more or less the plot to D3, at least on the angel side of things: On the one hand you've got a bunch of angels who think humanity needs to be genocided as we're half demon, and on the other hand you have some people led by Tyriel who think that's lovely.

Blowing up the black soulstone at the end of D3 released all the prime evils so everyone's on a bit of a time out charging their batteries (hence why mephisto is running around in dog form getting you to do poo poo for him but the basic implication is that we're kind of back to a place where they're going ot try and take over sanctuary eventually. Part of Lilith's plan is to help humanity defend themselves from that but it's also pretty apparent that she's also really wanting to eat Mephisto as a path to taking over the Hells entirely with all the Primes still recharging following D3.

Meanwhile Inarius is just a selfish dick who's concerns begin and end with getting the gently caress out of Sanctuary and back into the high heavens.

The main thing to remember is that the Heavens and Hells are really only concerned with their Eternal Conflict with each other, and Sanctuary and Humanity only matter in so far as it's another battlefield. Humanity are bit players as far as they're concerned, and the only reason these games are happening at all is because 1) it was a convenient second front so they could try and side-step the grinding attritional warfare in Pandemonium and 2) there was an attempted coup in Hell that banished the Primes to Sanctuary for a while.

All the poo poo happening to humans is just collateral damage as far as the demons and angles are concerned, most of them truly don't give a gently caress beyond however they can leverage humanity to kill the other guys faster.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Deki posted:

I hope that it turns out Rathma isn't actually dead dead.

I dont know much about him, but being willing to tell inarius to gently caress off and necros in Diablo being surprisingly chill makes me want to see what his deal is

I kind of wish there was more unique dialogue between classes, because coming across Rathma's body as a Necromancer should probably warrant bit more of a response then a "...oh no he's dead"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

periodic check-in to see if there's a new overflow clan

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

Everything on maxroll is definitely going to work as well as they say it is, but they aren't the only viable builds or anything. The guide writing community for ARPGs is still kind of small, so they still have ethics about "stealing" builds from each other, icy veins builds are also pretty good and mostly different from maxroll. Not sure what build you're using though, I did tornado for the campaign and pulverize/trampleslide afterwards and they've all felt powerful, though I hated the playstyle of trampleslide.

Most builds aren't going to feel good unless you get the aspect that enables it, and if there isn't an aspect that looks like it would enable your build it's uh..probably gonna suck.

The maxroll build guides are also in a weird place where they haven't figured out formatting yet. I can glance at a D2 or D3 build guide (or GD, etc) for about 60 seconds and have the broad strokes down of ok here's what I need to focus on while leveling, here's the basic skills and gear to look for putting the real build together, I"ll come back and get into the weeds about what kind of rolls I need when I get there.

Meanwhile the current build presentation for D4 is just nuts and impossible to parse. You can sit down and do it, but for the most part I found it easier to just play the game, look at some tooltips, and lean in a particular direction to maximize whatever damage gimmick I'm trying to depend on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

periodic check-in to see if there's a new overflow clan

is lljk not an "official" goon clan? It's not in the OP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the guys behind maxroll are absolute envelope pushers, Raxx is the guy who put out a "how to beat this season's challenge dungeon" throughout D3s release and he usually had the top finish time. So he's making builds that prioritize clear speed and powerlevelling, which is something you may never care about. I think for most casual players, like outside the top 1%, can do fine with pretty much any properly constructed build.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

is lljk not an "official" goon clan? It's not in the OP.

Anyways I just cleared a bunch of requests in [LLJK] SA GOON SQUAD. We're at 79/150 (I think people have been leaving for the other apparently very official super serious SA clans) so should be able to take on more.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Is it possible on PS5 to do couch co-op with a spouse, and online co-op at same time with another couple in another house?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Is it possible on PS5 to do couch co-op with a spouse, and online co-op at same time with another couple in another house?

I don't see why not? You're still playing with a copy on each device. Try it and let us know how it went :)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Welp, this game falls off hard around level 70. Hopefully that improves with the various seasons. I think i've played about as much as I can play.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Somebody posted a picture showing all of some sort of special chest locations on the map. What are they? I went to one spot in an area I hadn't been too and I could not find anything? Are they only available after the campaign or something?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Could someone who mainly plays solo, but would like to team up with other players, from time to time, benefit from joining a clan? I’d instantly send a request but I don’t want to take up space from people who are purely dedicated to killing hordes of demons with other goons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on who in the high heavens you're talking about. That was more or less the plot to D3, at least on the angel side of things: On the one hand you've got a bunch of angels who think humanity needs to be genocided as we're half demon, and on the other hand you have some people led by Tyriel who think that's lovely.

Blowing up the black soulstone at the end of D3 released all the prime evils so everyone's on a bit of a time out charging their batteries (hence why mephisto is running around in dog form getting you to do poo poo for him but the basic implication is that we're kind of back to a place where they're going ot try and take over sanctuary eventually. Part of Lilith's plan is to help humanity defend themselves from that but it's also pretty apparent that she's also really wanting to eat Mephisto as a path to taking over the Hells entirely with all the Primes still recharging following D3.

Meanwhile Inarius is just a selfish dick who's concerns begin and end with getting the gently caress out of Sanctuary and back into the high heavens.

The main thing to remember is that the Heavens and Hells are really only concerned with their Eternal Conflict with each other, and Sanctuary and Humanity only matter in so far as it's another battlefield. Humanity are bit players as far as they're concerned, and the only reason these games are happening at all is because 1) it was a convenient second front so they could try and side-step the grinding attritional warfare in Pandemonium and 2) there was an attempted coup in Hell that banished the Primes to Sanctuary for a while.

All the poo poo happening to humans is just collateral damage as far as the demons and angles are concerned, most of them truly don't give a gently caress beyond however they can leverage humanity to kill the other guys faster.

Ah, this makes more sense. So the Angels are more hands off while the Demons are more trying to actively invade all the time for that sweet sweet essence.

I think part of my confusion stems from, as was said above, the total absence of angels other than Inarus during the plot, and that guy has some "mixed feelings" about Sanctuary. It made it feel like the attitude of Sanctuary was "if we are very quiet and don't make a lot of noise then maybe Heaven won't exterminatus us" which did not imply good feelings from on high. But if the angels as a whole aren't really keen to actively commit resources towards purging humanity then they technically come ahead as the good guys here.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Could someone who mainly plays solo, but would like to team up with other players, from time to time, benefit from joining a clan? I’d instantly send a request but I don’t want to take up space from people who are purely dedicated to killing hordes of demons with other goons.

95% of the time it's just a chat room with people sometimes bragging about drops, with some periods of rounding people up to do nightmare dungeons. You should just join and try it out.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah, this makes more sense. So the Angels are more hands off while the Demons are more trying to actively invade all the time for that sweet sweet essence.

I think part of my confusion stems from, as was said above, the total absence of angels other than Inarus during the plot, and that guy has some "mixed feelings" about Sanctuary. It made it feel like the attitude of Sanctuary was "if we are very quiet and don't make a lot of noise then maybe Heaven won't exterminatus us" which did not imply good feelings from on high. But if the angels as a whole aren't really keen to actively commit resources towards purging humanity then they technically come ahead as the good guys here.

I feel like it is less that angels are good guys and more that they already have their forever war. It’s like how the Americans treated really hosed up dictatorships during the Cold War. “poo poo, we don’t really gently caress with you but as long as you’re not loving with the Soviets you get a pass.” As soon as the Cold War was over , America was like “Well, actually, gently caress you too.”

CuddleCryptid posted:

95% of the time it's just a chat room with people sometimes bragging about drops, with some periods of rounding people up to do nightmare dungeons. You should just join and try it out.

Say less!

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 8, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

D4 is trying really hard to retain the vibe of D1 and D2, both of which were very angel light, human centric (in D4 I don't think a single person thus far has mentioned the nephalim to me) and also pretty grimdark.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CuddleCryptid posted:

The Angels are mostly indifferent to hostile about the existence of humans. It was only Tyrael who was really sympathetic to Sanctuary and his was the deciding vote on whether the Angiris Council would or wouldn't obliterate Sanctuary altogether. The Prime Evils however saw Sanctuary as a valuable asset in the war against Heaven and have long conspired to corrupt the souls of mankind.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

D-Pad posted:

Somebody posted a picture showing all of some sort of special chest locations on the map. What are they? I went to one spot in an area I hadn't been too and I could not find anything? Are they only available after the campaign or something?

If it's the image I'm thinking of, it's chests that only spawn in Helltides, colloquially Mystery Chests.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Just remember, "All Angels except for Tyreal and probably Auriel are kind of dicks" has been a running theme since Diablo 2. Although still better then the demons lol.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Angels voted on whether or not to glass humanity when they became aware of it. They're honoring their decision and maybe one day D3 will be mentioned but letting that and the Nephelem fade into obscurity was a good call for the story.

Angels can be good but we can't assume they have humanity's interests at heart.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
what are everyone's opinions on rogue's key passives?

i'm playing melee rogue and momentum and close quarters combat both look like good all round buffs

or i could take death trap and poison trap and grab exposure but idk if that will be any good for bosses

is victimize any good? i'm constantly proccing vulnerable with puncture/flurry already

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can you freely trade amongst guildmembers, and if so how do I join a goon guild :v:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

The maxroll build guides are also in a weird place where they haven't figured out formatting yet. I can glance at a D2 or D3 build guide (or GD, etc) for about 60 seconds and have the broad strokes down of ok here's what I need to focus on while leveling, here's the basic skills and gear to look for putting the real build together, I"ll come back and get into the weeds about what kind of rolls I need when I get there.

Meanwhile the current build presentation for D4 is just nuts and impossible to parse. You can sit down and do it, but for the most part I found it easier to just play the game, look at some tooltips, and lean in a particular direction to maximize whatever damage gimmick I'm trying to depend on.

The maxroll guides are formated extremely similarly to the Last Epoch guides, which I was following before D4. So I'm already used to their format.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

what are everyone's opinions on rogue's key passives?

i'm playing melee rogue and momentum and close quarters combat both look like good all round buffs

or i could take death trap and poison trap and grab exposure but idk if that will be any good for bosses

is victimize any good? i'm constantly proccing vulnerable with puncture/flurry already

I say you pick whatever your build/items are pointing you towards. I was using Momementum until I found something that synergizes with Victimize. If you're doing traps you'll want the trap one. Etc.

Victimize is certainly nice with the aspect that also heals when it procs the explosions. Momentum can be a little finicky to trigger.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Exposure is great on any boss where you can stab or shoot them while they stand in poison or caltrops. Even one proc is delicious free death trap availability.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

the main benefit is getting spammed by the achievement notifications from 149 other people

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dollas posted:

the main benefit is getting spammed by the achievement notifications from 149 other people

Ha, it's not as bad as release, it was NONSTOP.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Super minor story/lore question for Act III -- when you talk to Meshif, you can ask him about Deckard Cain. Does anyone remember what he says? I did the story option first and the Deckard option never came up again lol

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The environments in this game are amazing, anybody know what is up with the giant corpses in Rathma's temple?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Post campaign in World Tier 3+ only, very big red obvious events called "helltides" occur sometimes. When they do occur, those maps show you were better chests might spawn - but they won't be on your minimap until you're on top of them.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Stolen from reddit, very good info for when blacksmith upgrades are a good idea (or get real weird):

TL;DR look out for 700 (especially 706+) items in WT3, upgrade at blacksmith for re-rolls with possibly VERY large stat upgrades.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Someone isn't happy

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CtMXUyyI0RD/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just buy a Playstation, Whoopi.