Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lego Spider-man being a thing and being proportionately sized is just loving gold and I hope he shows up at the eleventh hour.

He'd better, he's their best agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

Also Rio's eyes are green in Earth-42 and brown in Earth-1610

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s he going to do? Get in the way so the bad guy step on him?

That or Empire Strikes Back a buncha fuckers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm honestly curious if in the next film (speculation but spoilered for anybody who hasn't watched) if it is proven that preventing canon events is NOT the cause of universes unraveling how many Spider-people who fell for Miguel's story are going to be absolutely pissed that he convinced them to do nothing while someone important to them died and now want his loving head.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The other greatest gag in the movie is the one that’s immediately revealed as not a gag

Rio not knowing who Spider-Man is. If it had actually turned out she just didn’t keep up with that kinda thing it would have been hilarious

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Miguel calling Lego Spider-Man “One of our best” is so funny

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

The other greatest gag in the movie is the one that’s immediately revealed as not a gag

Rio not knowing who Spider-Man is. If it had actually turned out she just didn’t keep up with that kinda thing it would have been hilarious

Earlier in the movie there were conversations about his ethnicity. It wouldn't work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im not saying thats the direction the movie should have gone in since it undercuts where theyre clearly going with the plot, it just makes me lol to picture it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

Earlier in the movie there were conversations about his ethnicity. It wouldn't work.

That happened during Miles' fantasy about how coming out to his parents would go.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's an amusing concept/gag but yeah there's zero chance she isn't aware of Spider-Man as a concept. It's not even like not knowing who the current US president is, it's like not even knowing that the US has a president. Spider-Man seems to be the sole masked super hero on the planet in this series, that's not something you just aren't aware of because you don't watch the news or whatever

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That happened during Miles' fantasy about how coming out to his parents would go.

Pretty sure that was an actual conversation and the scene pivots into fantasy..

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

My favorite short gag was Ben Reily and him dramatically narrating his inner thoughts.
reminds me a lot of the 90s comics where it would just be pages of narration describing the wet rain and dark nights

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Pretty sure that was an actual conversation and the scene pivots into fantasy..

This is correct. Deflects from him being Puerto Rican.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just got out of this. Was pretty good, although I prefer the first one overall. The Citadel of Ricks Spideys stuff just isn't as interesting as the more down to the earth character stuff around Miles or Gwen's respective families, and while I liked Hubie and Indian Spider-Man, overall the spider variations weren't as memorable to me as the first films side characters. It's probably intentional they held back bringing them back besides Gwen, but I was feeling their absence and I'm hoping we get a lot more Peter in the third film.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

GateOfD posted:

My favorite short gag was Ben Reily and him dramatically narrating his inner thoughts.
reminds me a lot of the 90s comics where it would just be pages of narration describing the wet rain and dark nights

I read Kraven's Last Hunt for the first time a few weeks back, and while it was very good, that endless poetic narration definitely came to mind

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Peter was definitely the most glaring omission this movie, yeah, but he still had a lot of really solid scenes. I think the other three major Spiders in this movie were more interesting than Noir, Peni, and Ham.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The Bee posted:

the other three major Spiders in this movie were more interesting than Noir, Peni, and Ham.
i'm feeling major Mulaney saturation and personally not excited for more spider-ham in the next movie 🤫

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could've cut all three from the first movie and have been fine with just Gwen and Peter.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I was with you until you suggested cutting Nic Cage Spider-Man Noir

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mutantIke posted:

I read Kraven's Last Hunt for the first time a few weeks back, and while it was very good, that endless poetic narration definitely came to mind

It's one of those things that (usually) works for Batman and of course they gotta try to turn everyone into Batman. ...actually just realised that's what Deadpool is taking the piss out of.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Miguel calling Lego Spider-Man “One of our best” is so funny

He's just solid, he's their foundational brick.

I hope he's the one to give Miguel a speech that snaps him out of it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One detail I like is Mayday's insta feed having pictures that look like she's aping (or posed by) MJ, who is a model in most canons. Also I thought Peter B was going to leave her at home at the end of the movie. I guess the indestructiblity of children is probably greatly enhanced by having spider-people fast healing.

The line about Lego Peter being "the best" is definitely a shout-out to the greatest thing Lord & Miller did pre-Spider-verse.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
some nice mirroring between the two movies

when Miles brings back Peter B in Into, he bungie cords him to a punching bag to interrogate him

which i apparently completely forgot about

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just realized something when Miles is sucker punched by Prowler and knocked out, his Spider Sense doesn't go off at all. It's clear he still has his powers if he's able to generate his bio-electricity...so why didn't his Spider Sense go off? Usually it goes off if he's in danger and I'm pretty sure a sucker punch is danger.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just realized something when Miles is sucker punched by Prowler and knocked out, his Spider Sense doesn't go off at all. It's clear he still has his powers if he's able to generate his bio-electricity...so why didn't his Spider Sense go off? Usually it goes off if he's in danger and I'm pretty sure a sucker punch is danger.

I'd have to assume it's similar to the reason Venom doesn't set of Peter's Spider-Sense. It doesn't trigger for "yourself"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fosborb posted:

some nice mirroring between the two movies

when Miles brings back Peter B in Into, he bungie cords him to a punching bag to interrogate him

which i apparently completely forgot about

Me too! But it makes sense, both versions of Miles have the same idea. Given the cliffhanger, imagine it'll end the same way that scene did too.

DanielCross posted:

I'd have to assume it's similar to the reason Venom doesn't set of Peter's Spider-Sense. It doesn't trigger for "yourself"

This is actually a consistent thing, even in No Way Home; spider-people generally don't trigger each others' spider-sense, outside initial recognition, though I might be wrong given the whole chase scene. Probably depends on how similar they are. The three Peters keep bouncing off each other if you look closely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Something I did notice is that Aaron has put rubber gloves on Miles while he was unconscious. How did he know?? Miles doesn’t use his powers at any point.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

While there are lots of clues of this bit near the end, one of the easiest that I can't believe I overlooked until I saw it again was it's raining where Gwen is snooping up on Miles' room, and it's definitely not in Earth 42.

But even the aesthetic of the universe in Earth 42 is different. As in, the drawing/shading style. It's what tipped me off originally on my first watch.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Something I did notice is that Aaron has put rubber gloves on Miles while he was unconscious. How did he know?? Miles doesn’t use his powers at any point.

I must be misremembering because I thought the scene ended with miles smirking and winding up to do his electro blast.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I doubt the release date will hold given the strike in play.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

massive spider posted:

I must be misremembering because I thought the scene ended with miles smirking and winding up to do his electro blast.

He manages to snap the rubber on the fingertip in the second shot of his hands

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

He manages to snap the rubber on the fingertip in the second shot of his hands

"Don't watch the mouth, watch the hands."

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I doubt the release date will hold given the strike in play.

From what I understand a lot of the animators only wrapped production on Across a few weeks before release, and they're just taking a break now too.

I'd love to see it in spring but considering how often scenes shift that require both rewrites and rerecording I also don't think they'll hit the announced date.

Scool. Power to the unions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gaius Marius posted:

You could've cut all three from the first movie and have been fine with just Gwen and Peter.

Don't get me wrong. They served valuable functions in the movie! But it was A) communicating the "anyone can be Spidey" theme, B) selling the varied art styles of the Spider-Verse, and C) comedic potential. I wouldn't just toss them away. Its just that as characters, they're a bit more one note than India, Byte, and Punk are shaping up to be, even with their much lesser screen time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
gwenderqueer

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

whatever sound issues people have reported seems to have been fixed.

i guess its an excuse to rewatch it in theatres

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm honestly curious if in the next film (speculation but spoilered for anybody who hasn't watched) if it is proven that preventing canon events is NOT the cause of universes unraveling how many Spider-people who fell for Miguel's story are going to be absolutely pissed that he convinced them to do nothing while someone important to them died and now want his loving head.

I don't think there's been another spiderperson aware of their own canon tragic events before they've happened. Miles only found out because he snuck into the citadel and dragged an explanation out of Miguel.

E: Wait, that also goes for Gwen, nevermind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually on that note it feels like another thing in No Way Home made interesting in that context; Peter 3 specifically saves MJ from a fatal fall in what's clearly not only a reference to his Gwen Stacy but all but spelled out he actually learned from that and made an effort to use different methods to save her life, and ended up getting a lot of emotional catharsis and closure over a spiritual do-over. Like Batman saving Superman's mom in BvS being his do-over of Crime Alley. Which is interesting because it's another example of a 'canon event' disrupted by an extradimensional Spider-man doing what Spider-people do. And another thing Miguel maybe coulda learned from if he was actually willing to talk to those spider-people about how things went.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I noticed Miles had a campaign bumper sticker in his room that said "MICHELLE OBAMA 20-" with the last two digits obscured so you can't tell if it's from a past or upcoming election.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Could be in that world she ran instead of her husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I don't get Miguel's point that Miles is a mistake and not meant to be Spiderman. If that's the case, then why will he have a canon event, and why is Miguel worried?