Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What a beautiful smile.

That's Gabriel, he's a cool little guy but he's been in a shelter/foster situation for over a year so he's not as cheerful as he is in that picture. We're getting there though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

scruffy dogs are the best

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lifetime fan of them yeah

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

my scruffy dog that passed in March

We have a 9 month old floof now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hell yeah :thumbsup:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My 9 month old golden retriever suddenly is weird about eating his breakfast. It’s like he just wants to play instead of eating. I did change our morning routine a little bit lately and I suspect that’s what caused it, but this morning he didn’t eat it at all, although we did leave home for daycare earlier than usual. He also doesn’t finish his dinner right away either anymore either, but will go back to it.

Is any of this normal or is my dog broken?!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s fine.

If he doesn’t eat he will learn eventually that he really should eat in the morning. If not it’s kinda whatever our Dane is the same way.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Flesh Forge posted:

I got out of the habit of pet posting and recently that incredible little dog passed away so, y'know. Coping mechanisms, grief and stuff.
e: on a more positive note

You can just see the happiness pour out of the sweet little fella.

Condolences.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My 9 month old golden retriever suddenly is weird about eating his breakfast. It’s like he just wants to play instead of eating. I did change our morning routine a little bit lately and I suspect that’s what caused it, but this morning he didn’t eat it at all, although we did leave home for daycare earlier than usual. He also doesn’t finish his dinner right away either anymore either, but will go back to it.

Is any of this normal or is my dog broken?!

Your golden is broken: In that I've never seen a golden with any form of restraint.

Normal for other dogs tho.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

You can just see the happiness pour out of the sweet little fella.

Condolences.

Oh no, I've made it confusing, sorry!

This dog, Darla, is the one who passed away (and yes, she was an amazingly joyful friend):

This is Gabriel, who I am in the process of adopting and is very much alive:

e: heck while I'm here: Gabriel is very introverted, he was in a shelter/rescue situation for about a year. He has a cosmetic birth defect called "cow hocks" where his rear legs are splayed out and I guess people are very picky about that poo poo :shrug:
This is his fourth day with me now and he's just getting willing to come out of his crate and approach me if I do this kind of looney toons poo poo:

He seems pretty well house trained and he figured out the dog door almost immediately. He's still pretty locked up emotionally but I've been just stuffing his face with delicious yummies and I can see steady progress, I think he'll be fine. It bums me out that he was in the rescue for so long when he's such a gorgeous and sweet natured dog :confused:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flesh Forge posted:

I got out of the habit of pet posting and recently that incredible little dog passed away so, y'know. Coping mechanisms, grief and stuff.
e: on a more positive note

i'm so sorry :( i caught a glimpse of her little self back when she was your avatar (i'm an insane rereg) and she looked like a cool scruffy gremlin. i always secretly hoped you'd post about her, but the redtext lied. gabriel looks like a sweetheart, i hope you have a long and happy life together :h:

alg posted:

also an excellent scruff. scruffs are great

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

alg posted:

Dude, they're both so handsome. You have good taste in dogs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Dude, they're both so handsome. You have good taste in dogs.

Thanks. Mitka (scruffy) lived to 15, my wife got her from what we think was a hoarding or backyard breeder situation. She was extremely reactive, to the point we couldn't take her on walks around people or dogs. People couldn't visit us except family. It was tough but she was worth it - she was extremely sweet to us and super devoted. Working from home the last 3 years she was honestly the best thing.

Pochi (the fluff) came to us from a family member who breeds Eskimo dogs. She got her from someone who passed away suddenly. She is a puppy still and learning every day, but super super sweet and taking to training well. She is skittish but not reactive. We socialize her and she is in training classes with us. She arrived the same day as Mitka's ashes so it kinda felt right.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gabriel had a stellar couple of days and is now pretty cool about following me around the house and walking outside, I'm so happy for him. I wasn't expecting him to get this comfortable for weeks.

that pic shows what I mean about his legs being cow-hocked. he's not great at running and he can't really jump at all but that's fine, I'm not any better

e: his tail is majestic

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Bless, glad he's coming out of his shell. Do the legs give him any discomfort?..

Mine has her 2nd and last vaccination yesterday and the vet says she can go out on a week so looking forward to enjoying the sun with her on short walks for now and spending the next week getting her comfortable with walking on a lead in some capacity at least. Should help with the toilet training too thank god.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He seems to move around just fine, he even stood up on his hind legs a bit earlier to nuzzle my hand :3

From what I have read cow hock is an issue in bigger dogs (German Shepherds are prone to this due to breeding for a specific gait for show dogs) because it can lead to hip dysplasia but for small dogs it seems to be mostly cosmetic. The rescue's vet said it shouldn't be a big deal.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Funny enough, we have a high probability of ours having the same hip issues. We opted for an Old English Bulldog over a traditional bulldog, which was our first choice, because of all those health issues that have been intentionally added to the dog over the years for show reasons... Show dogs are such a stupid concept, especially when they seem to cause far more health issues long term.

Speaking of which, our girls mum is also Merle, which the last time I was looking at dogs was never a thing and holy poo poo does that cause crazy health issues when 2 dogs breed with that gene. I've not gone down that particular rabbit hole too far because I imagine it's just going to make me rage if I find out where it originated from.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shows themselves aren't creating the issues, it's the breed clubs of breeds that specifically call for exaggerated and dangerous features like bulldogs, pugs, frenchies, neapolitan mastiffs, etc. They tell the judges what the dogs should look like and then the judges at the shows reward the dogs with those features. If the breed clubs instead decided to put health first and changed their standards to reflect that and then educated judges about those changes then those moderate, healthy dogs would start winning. In theory a dog show is just there to have an unbiased 3rd party evaluate your breeding stock which is a perfectly fine thing to do. Being a show dog doesn't give them hip dysplasia, being from parents who didn't have their hips evaluated and some environmental issues like being raised on slippery flooring can increase the likelihood of getting hip dysplasia. If I could magically change one thing about dog shows I'd make it a requirement to have full health testing done before a dog could finish its championship. No champion puppies that magically disappear into pet homes because they fall apart at 18 months despite being grand champions already.

(Full disclosure, I have a champion show dog. She also is fully health tested and clear of all testable genetic issues as are her parents. She is also a working herding dog and an accomplished sport dog.)

Merle is an interesting gene that people are still trying to figure out fully. To breed merles safely you really need to test for the sine insertion length because with some lengths you can safely breed merle to merle and some you really, really can't. It's probably better for the folks in the fad breeds that shouldn't have merle at all (poodles!) to just not muck around with it and only breed merle to confirmed non-merle but there are situations where merle/merle breedings are safe.

https://www.doggenetics.co.uk/merleadvanced.htm

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flesh Forge posted:

Gabriel had a stellar couple of days and is now pretty cool about following me around the house and walking outside, I'm so happy for him. I wasn't expecting him to get this comfortable for weeks.

this is wonderful :unsmith: he looks so chill and curious about his surroundings for someone who's just been through the trauma of adoption. you're doing such a good thing, gabriel is a very lucky scruffling and i think he knows.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Mine has her 2nd and last vaccination yesterday and the vet says she can go out on a week so looking forward to enjoying the sun with her on short walks for now and spending the next week getting her comfortable with walking on a lead in some capacity at least. Should help with the toilet training too thank god.
it's great that she's doing better. it would be horrendous to have a new pup get so sick.

i read recently that something like 1/3 of new puppies in the united kingdom get sick enough to require emergency care and 1/5 end up dying within their first year :stare: even accounting for the increase in puppy farms and irresponsible breeders, that seems incredibly high. your baby got sick enough to have been one of those 1/5 if someone less diligent had been looking after her. it makes me wonder what is going on, especially in a case like yours where you obviously know how to take care of a puppy and gave her the best of care, and it sounds like the breeder was also fairly competent. there has to be some sort of environmental factor at play that seems to be affecting the whole uk. sewage in the rivers??

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

this is wonderful :unsmith: he looks so chill and curious about his surroundings for someone who's just been through the trauma of adoption. you're doing such a good thing, gabriel is a very lucky scruffling and i think he knows.

He was in the rescue for something like 9 months (probably in a kennel alone most of the time) and then in a foster home for about 3 months, which is just so crazy to me because he's such a great looking and good natured dog :confused: He's actually getting playful and a bit bouncy, which I didn't expect so quickly - the foster home he was in had two other dogs, one of them a lot bigger (Standard Schnauzer) and one of them A LOT BIGGER (golden doodle) and both of them very energetic playful types so I think he's probably glad to not be the runt any more :)

He's barely trained at all, no basic obedience stuff or anything beyond very basic house training, but he has super good manners and takes food very politely and I can tell he's pretty smart, he caught on to the dog door almost immediately, so I am pretty sure I can fix everything else.

e: my elderly miniature schnauzer Eric (he's around 14) has a very similar disposition, very laid back, non competitive, very sweet, so they get along well

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 9, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Shows themselves aren't creating the issues, it's the breed clubs of breeds that specifically call for exaggerated and dangerous features like bulldogs, pugs, frenchies, neapolitan mastiffs, etc. They tell the judges what the dogs should look like and then the judges at the shows reward the dogs with those features. If the breed clubs instead decided to put health first and changed their standards to reflect that and then educated judges about those changes then those moderate, healthy dogs would start winning. In theory a dog show is just there to have an unbiased 3rd party evaluate your breeding stock which is a perfectly fine thing to do. Being a show dog doesn't give them hip dysplasia, being from parents who didn't have their hips evaluated and some environmental issues like being raised on slippery flooring can increase the likelihood of getting hip dysplasia. If I could magically change one thing about dog shows I'd make it a requirement to have full health testing done before a dog could finish its championship. No champion puppies that magically disappear into pet homes because they fall apart at 18 months despite being grand champions already.

(Full disclosure, I have a champion show dog. She also is fully health tested and clear of all testable genetic issues as are her parents. She is also a working herding dog and an accomplished sport dog.)

Merle is an interesting gene that people are still trying to figure out fully. To breed merles safely you really need to test for the sine insertion length because with some lengths you can safely breed merle to merle and some you really, really can't. It's probably better for the folks in the fad breeds that shouldn't have merle at all (poodles!) to just not muck around with it and only breed merle to confirmed non-merle but there are situations where merle/merle breedings are safe.

https://www.doggenetics.co.uk/merleadvanced.htm

This is a very interesting and Informative post, thank you! After explaining your experiences with that kind of thing I can certainly agree with what you're saying, I'm just a little ignorant and I have never experienced any dog shows etc!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

a strange fowl posted:

it's great that she's doing better. it would be horrendous to have a new pup get so sick.

i read recently that something like 1/3 of new puppies in the united kingdom get sick enough to require emergency care and 1/5 end up dying within their first year :stare: even accounting for the increase in puppy farms and irresponsible breeders, that seems incredibly high. your baby got sick enough to have been one of those 1/5 if someone less diligent had been looking after her. it makes me wonder what is going on, especially in a case like yours where you obviously know how to take care of a puppy and gave her the best of care, and it sounds like the breeder was also fairly competent. there has to be some sort of environmental factor at play that seems to be affecting the whole uk. sewage in the rivers??

Apologise for double posting but I'm phone posting, that's a really worrying statistic. Where did you find that from?..

Don't get me wrong, I didn't exactly know how to deal with Freja being sick but I had the common sense to take her to the vets, keep pushing them and also do our own research. Luckily my partner's an ICU nurse so we have loads of stuff here that was helpful, like the oral syringes etc and she was very quick to identify we needed to keep her hydrated and we searched for a dog appropriate formula we could make at home to replace her electrolytes, turns out some water, table salt and honey was all she needed to keep her going while we got her sorted. The vet gave her a glowing review yesterday though, perfect heart, lungs, weight etc so we were over the moon to hear that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah those statistics sound wildly improbable

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i think i actually read it on this site, so yes, please take it as fiction. i'm happier to do that too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
OTOH breeders and show dogs gave us this and I think maybe we need to eject dog shows and whatever breed standards that led to this into the sun.

(It's a skull comparison)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Big milestones for Gabriel:
- he barked (he's been utterly silent for an entire week)
- he's trotting and running with his tail up and is even a little playful at times
- he let me trim his face

Very rapidly becoming a totally normal little dude!

both of them walked in the same yard at the same time, how is Eric such a magnet for filth :negative:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Griff turned two today, he's very scruffy

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dacap posted:

Adopting this boy and he's coming home later next week. Still stuck on names.

We think he's some kind of Chiweenie mix

We ended up going with Benny for the name!

Another question. When looking at crates, the rescue recommended a 42" size. This dog is a 17lb Chiweenie, and this size seems way too large.

Most things online suggest a 30" at his size, which seems more consistent with my understanding that it should be a cozy space, but with enough room for him to stand up and move a bit.

I'm ok with getting a 36" as a compromise, but curious what people's thoughts are.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The crate should be just big enough for the dog to turn around in it. For a 17-pound dog, that means pretty dang small.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

our dog Pochi is a 14 pound Japanese Spitz and hers is 24x17 x 19high. She fits in it great and loves it. A 36" crate would probably be too big for your dog. 42" would be ridiculous. Our 23 pound terrier had the same crate as Pochi and loved it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

alg posted:

our dog Pochi is a 14 pound Japanese Spitz and hers is 24x17 x 19high. She fits in it great and loves it. A 36" crate would probably be too big for your dog. 42" would be ridiculous. Our 23 pound terrier had the same crate as Pochi and loved it.

Ok, this seems reasonable. I thought 30" seemed right if not generous for size on a dog this small. The picture on Amazon for the 42" had a fully grown Husky comfortably inside of it lol.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 12, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dacap posted:

the rescue recommended

rescues are run by random people who sometimes have odd ideas about stuff. the rescue I just dealt with "doesn't like harnesses" :confused:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

for the past few weeks iris has been springing awake at about 4am every morning and spending the next ~3 hours repeatedly nudging me awake while i yell at her in despair. every morning. she doesn't need to wee, if i get up and put her outside she just looks at me and acts like the day has begun. if i don't get up, she just keeps trying and trying. somebody please tell me this is just a phase, i already have enough trouble sleeping and this is driving me insane

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 12, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Flesh Forge posted:

rescues are run by random people who sometimes have odd ideas about stuff. the rescue I just dealt with "doesn't like harnesses" :confused:

a rescue volunteer once got a bee up her butt after I said I had done clicker training with my dogs and was suddenly all "I don't think you'd be suitable to adopt if that's what you intend to do"

instantly went from friendly to hostile :iiam:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Enfys posted:

a rescue volunteer once got a bee up her butt after I said I had done clicker training with my dogs and was suddenly all "I don't think you'd be suitable to adopt if that's what you intend to do"

instantly went from friendly to hostile :iiam:

WTF could she be thinking you meant. Clicker training is the most dog friendly thing in the world

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I came to regret it when i got something that made the same sort of click sound and had to deal with a very confused dog for a while, does that count

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

for the past few weeks iris has been springing awake at about 4am every morning and spending the next ~3 hours repeatedly nudging me awake while i yell at her in despair. every morning. she doesn't need to wee, if i get up and put her outside she just looks at me and acts like the day has begun. if i don't get up, she just keeps trying and trying. somebody please tell me this is just a phase, i already have enough trouble sleeping and this is driving me insane

I don't want to bum you out too much but some day she's going to grow out of this and you will miss it terribly.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't want to bum you out too much but some day she's going to grow out of this and you will miss it terribly.
...actually, i'd totally forgotten my last little dude used to do this too. he even grew back into it - in the last years of his life he was mostly mentally intact, except once or twice a week he'd wake me up in the early morning dancing around like a goblin and insist on me escorting him through the house in the dark so he could sniff every individual item of furniture like he'd never seen it before in his life. all the while wagging his tail madly and acting delighted by this voyage of discovery.

thanks for reminding me :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Teaching Gabriel the basic stuff like Touch, Sit, and Down - I just got him to lay down by gesture only, the first several times I led him into it with a treat. Happy my little dude is turning out to be a smart guy after all. He has decided that sleeping on the bed with me is Very Cool, which is something I like, and last night he got really playful and was jumping up and down on the bed just like a child, it was adorable :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I just noticed my dog seems to be growing another claw out of her paw pad?

She has fluffy feet, so I don't normally see them, but I just noticed this today.

It doesn't seem to bother her, but it can't be comfortable.

Anyone seen anything like this before?