Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Kerry didn't say that bolded part and it was added to provide context to what he said.

That first part of the sentence literally says, Kerry said the United States and 19 other countries account for 80% of the global greenhouse emissions. The second part adds the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BDawg posted:

Who had Supreme Court forces Alabama to redraw maps to accommodate black voters on their card for today?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/politics/supreme-court-alabama-voting-rights-milligan/index.html

If Wasserman is right, good bye Speaker McCarthy hello Speaker Jeffries (I have no idea what the time line is for new maps, new elections, etc.)

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1666819545150144519

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BDawg posted:

Who had Supreme Court forces Alabama to redraw maps to accommodate black voters on their card for today?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/politics/supreme-court-alabama-voting-rights-milligan/index.html

Ohio has been required to do this for years. They just keep providing bad maps and electing worse and worse R's under the illegal maps in the meanwhile

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Brett kavanaugh joined the liberals on this ?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah it's a shocking result, especially with Roberts writing the majority opinion, given his historical, ah, antipathy for the VRA. It's like Nader writing an anti-seatbelt book lol

Harold Fjord posted:

Ohio has been required to do this for years. They just keep providing bad maps and electing worse and worse R's under the illegal maps in the meanwhile

I must regretfully inform you that this is an unequivocally good thing that has happened.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

I'm guessing he had either been drinking shortly before this came before them, or one of the 3 dem appointed judges figured out he could be bribed with beer. Either way I'm sure beer factored into this.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
He's so pro segregation it transcends his desire to make democrats lose seats.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah it's a shocking result, especially with Roberts writing the majority opinion, given his historical, ah, antipathy for the VRA. It's like Nader writing an anti-seatbelt book lol

I must regretfully inform you that this is an unequivocally good thing that has happened.

Yes but it also hasn't actually changed anything yet and depending on bullshit procedure plays, might be delayed for some time before it can.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

depending on bullshit procedure plays, might be delayed for some time before it can.

The Ohio gerrymanders aren't actually being challenged in federal courts for violating Article II of the VRA but under anti-gerrymandering provisions of the Ohio state constitution. I'm sorry this single ruling didn't fix every electoral problem in America with one fell swoop but upholding rather than gutting the racial dilution provisions of the VRA is a huge, huge victory for everyone who isn't a conservative.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Randalor posted:

I'm guessing he had either been drinking shortly before this came before them, or one of the 3 dem appointed judges figured out he could be bribed with beer. Either way I'm sure beer factored into this.

If Thomas gets $500,000 vacations for free, you’ve got to figure Kavanaugh gets a case of Heineken or something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

The Ohio gerrymanders aren't actually being challenged in federal courts for violating Article II of the VRA but under anti-gerrymandering provisions of the Ohio state constitution. I'm sorry this single ruling didn't fix every electoral problem in America with one fell swoop but upholding rather than gutting the racial dilution provisions of the VRA is a huge, huge victory for everyone who isn't a conservative.

Ok. I don't know that it means the ordered result will happen any time soon, which is all I said.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 8, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very well.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Don't fall for this, people. There is surely an even more horrible, evil, and indefensible ruling coming soon and they're using this ruling as a buffer.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not really. Kerry isn't blaming Africa for climate change at all in those quotes, he's essentially saying a high birth rate isn't something to be proud of.

Can we not infer a reason why he would say that? Do we really have to pretend not to know the context of patronizing advice like this?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OctaMurk posted:

It’s amazing, but even with the whole federalist society pipeline, it seems like Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are pretty bad picks from a Republican POV - not as “bad” as Souter or Kennedy but certainly not loyal soldiers like Thomas and Alito. (To be clear, they’re still bastards.)

I’m not even sure we won’t see a repeat of Obergefell when trans rights cases start getting to them - Gorsuch seems to lean in the individual rights direction on the issue and Kavanaugh seems persuadable.

Not in any sense saying that the composition of the court isn’t a huge problem, but Trump did accidentally pick two guys who actually think about their decisions, even if they usually come to the bad answer.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Can we not infer a reason why he would say that? Do we really have to pretend not to know the context of patronizing advice like this?
No, we can’t really infer that from what he said at all. In fact, pointing out that 19 relatively wealthy nations produce 80% of the carbon seems like he’s doing the exact opposite.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Mellow Seas posted:

No, we can’t really infer that from what he said at all. In fact, pointing out that 19 relatively wealthy nations produce 80% of the carbon seems like he’s doing the exact opposite.

Why is he talking about overpopulation? What purpose does it serve? He just thinks it's not good to have more kids, no reason he just doesn't like it? Come on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

Why is he talking about overpopulation? What purpose does it serve? He just thinks it's not good to have more kids, no reason he just doesn't like it? Come on.

He's talking about overpopulation because the interviewer asked him about overpopulation.

Even if there's no interview transcript, the article has not only been linked here but also had its full content copy-pasted here, and it's clear from the article that the interviewer brought up overpopulation first and asked Kerry to respond to it.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Crows Turn Off posted:

Don't fall for this, people. There is surely an even more horrible, evil, and indefensible ruling coming soon and they're using this ruling as a buffer.

Agreed. I get the feeling they're doing this because they're about to rule on the ISL thing that "the legislature can overrule the voters", so having a extra minoirty district won't matter, when the state can do whatever they want.

And/or they're about to destroy affirmative action

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adenoid Dan posted:

When Kerry was asked about overpopulation as a specific issue, it’s not surprising he talked about the place where there is the most population growth. Africa is home to the countries where birth rates are highest in the absolute sense, where they are higher than would be expected based on child mortality (as the scatter plot showed), and where birth rates are not falling like they are in most other countries (including many poor ones).

My “guess” is that his nefarious intention is that he doesn’t want the population of Africa to increase from 1.5 billion to 3 billion at the same time its per capita emissions are virtually guaranteed to rise quickly with further economic development.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meatball posted:

Agreed. I get the feeling they're doing this because they're about to rule on the ISL thing that "the legislature can overrule the voters", so having a extra minoirty district won't matter, when the state can do whatever they want.

And/or they're about to destroy affirmative action

Well the SCONC is going to rehear Moore v Harper so the ISL thing is probably mooted as SCOTUS waits to see what the state court does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regardless of Kerry's true intentions in making that statement, concerns about overpopulation are frequently used as a dogwhistle to justify further exploitation of underdeveloped nations. I see no reason why he shouldn't be criticized for such a careless assertion.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

When Kerry was asked about overpopulation as a specific issue, it’s not surprising he talked about the place where there is the most population growth. Africa is home to the countries where birth rates are highest in the absolute sense, where they are higher than would be expected based on child mortality (as the scatter plot showed), and where birth rates are not falling like they are in most other countries (including many poor ones).

My “guess” is that his nefarious intention is that he doesn’t want the population of Africa to increase from 1.5 billion to 3 billion at the same time its per capita emissions are virtually guaranteed to rise quickly with further economic development.

Agreed, John Kerry doesn't think that there should be more Africans (or more than enough? How much is too much, who is to say) or that they should be able to choose their own national or continental destiny.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Perhaps when asked about overpopulation, Kerry doesn’t have to answer the question directly and instead shift the focus to emissions and waste and whatnot instead of cutting with Malthusian concepts in regards to a continent that has been exploited by western nations for centuries

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the question at heart of this discussion is "Does John Kerry believe in the forced and unwilling sterilization of Africans or the inducement of a genocidal famine or other disaster towards the goals of depopulation on that continent" and the answer to that is "No, he does not."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

theCalamity posted:

Perhaps when asked about overpopulation, Kerry doesn’t have to answer the question directly and instead shift the focus to emissions and waste and whatnot instead of cutting with Malthusian concepts in regards to a continent that has been exploited by western nations for centuries

One reasonably common complaint in this thread is about politicians dodging questions as asked and giving an answer that's only partially related, or not at all. It's kind of hard to fault Kerry for answering a question as asked.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

Regardless of Kerry's true intentions in making that statement, concerns about overpopulation are frequently used as a dogwhistle to justify further exploitation of underdeveloped nations.
I agree, and said above, that remarks about “overpopulation” often motivated by xenophobia or collective OECD selfishness, but I don’t see how it’s about exploitation.

Cui bono on lowering the rate of population growth? Wouldn’t “capital” want more impoverished, desperate people to exploit, rather than a stabilizing and increasingly educated population? The benefit goes to the Africans who will live in more prosperous societies because of lower birth rates.

Economic exploitation of the continent is a HUGE concern in general, just like it has been for the last 500 years, but I’m just not seeing it here.

quote:

I see no reason why he shouldn't be criticized for such a careless assertion.
What was “careless” about it, exactly? What do you think the consequences will be?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 8, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Listen, there's no possible way an 80yo wealthy boomer could be out of touch or racist.

Even if we have to make up context that wasn't included in articles, we will.

We don't know the reason he said that poo poo about African countries, but we know for sure what the reason wasn't and cannot ever be, and that's racism.

Racism exists, but not in any way that can ever be inferred unless it's said explicitly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lmao blaming sustainability issues on African birth rates jesus christ this guy literally doesn’t know a loving thing does he? Dyed in the wool old school malthusianism despite being discredited for ages.

One USA Citizen = 12 Indians in terms of climate impact and I'm betting more than 12 Africans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1666839607911100416

Fellas is "My client has the impulse control of a 3 year old" an affirmative defense to prosecution?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A historic milestone, our first magpie president

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ooooohhhh, silly me, thinking that just... taking things that I liked might be a crime or something. Well, as long as it's just taking things because I LIKE them...

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Listen, there's no possible way an 80yo wealthy boomer could be out of touch or racist.
What a weird argument, considering it’s perfectly possible for an 80 year old wealthy person to not be racist as well. (However I must say pedantically that it’s not possible for an 80 year old to be a boomer for two more years :v:)

John Kerry has been a national figure since he was elected to the Senate in 1985. He’s been a person whose words are recorded for 38 years. He was for a brief period the second most famous person in the US. I don’t think we need to fall back on his demographic to make inferences about his views on race. I can’t find any controversies in the past about Kerry espousing racist views. That doesn’t mean he’s definitely not racist but it’s a notable absence of evidence.

I guess he could’ve just flawlessly hidden his racism for 38 years until a crafty French reporter figured out he would DROP THE MASK if he heard the trigger word “overpopulation.”

You guys know he started his career as an anti-war activist, right? I don’t understand where this conception of him as some kind of closet conservative is coming from.

VideoGameVet posted:

One USA Citizen = 12 Indians in terms of climate impact and I'm betting more than 12 Africans.
Those figures are a little out of date and the figures have moved closer in both directions, although it’s still probably 8-1 or so.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lmao blaming sustainability issues on African birth rates jesus christ this guy literally doesn’t know a loving thing does he? Dyed in the wool old school malthusianism despite being discredited for ages.
Hmm, yeah, I’m going to guess that even if he’s not as smart as some Guys On a Forum, he’s the climate czar and probably knows these statistics. And he wasn’t “blaming” Africa for anything - there is no plausible justification for reading his remarks that way. Again, he pointed out who has caused the crisis, and that it’s not Africa. That doesn’t mean Africa can or should just ignore future emissions, or that birth rates over 5 per women won’t eventually lead to a lot of emissions.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

No, you can't infer it as blaming African countries,, *especially* when there is this as context where he explicitly places blame elsewhere.

quote:

Twenty countries, including the United States, are responsible for 80 percent of global emissions, Kerry said.

Jaxyon posted:

Even if we have to make up context that wasn't included in articles, we will.

While I admire the honesty, I don't think we need to make things up in order to get mad at out of touch boomers and it hurts the arguments when we do.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 8, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

You guys know he started his career as an anti-war activist, right? I don’t understand where this conception of him as some kind of closet conservative is coming from.

Not just a anti-war activist, Kerry testified about Mai Lai regarding the policy of free fire zones leading to events like Mai Lai.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

“How can you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mellow Seas posted:

What a weird argument, considering it’s perfectly possible for an 80 year old wealthy person to not be racist as well. (However I must say pedantically that it’s not possible for an 80 year old to be a boomer for two more years :v:)

The point is people are very quick to explain why something absolutely can't be that because someone is "on their side". But it's usually that.

quote:

John Kerry has been a national figure since he was elected to the Senate in 1985. He’s been a person whose words are recorded for 38 years. He was for a brief period the second most famous person in the US. I don’t think we need to fall back on his demographic to make inferences about his views on race. I can’t find any controversies in the past about Kerry espousing racist views. That doesn’t mean he’s definitely not racist but it’s a notable absence of evidence.

I guess he could’ve just flawlessly hidden his racism for 38 years until a crafty French reporter figured out he would DROP THE MASK if he heard the trigger word “overpopulation.”

This is a childlike understanding of racism. You can have some mildy racist misconceptions and beliefs without being an out-and-out Klan member. Lots of people have biases set in racism. Especially old white people.

quote:

What does that have to do with anything?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three huge stories today:

The former president is facing indictment for violations of the espionage act and his former CoS has taken a prosecutorial deal to turn state's evidence in return for pleading to lesser charges
One of the most significant figures in American evangelical politics has died
The Supreme Court has made a shocking ruling that preserves racial protections under Article II of the Voting Rights Act.

Squinting at John Kerry's off hand comments at a conference in order to determine whether or not he is secretly Sir Charles Trevelyan should not be the primary topic of discussion in the US CURRENT EVENTS thread, it might be useful to consider a division between US foreign policy current events and US domestic policy current events.

There are important issues to discuss!
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1666822951218597891

quote:

“He’s also short but … yes of course it’s about his penis, that’s why we’re doing it,” says a source involved in the effort to get the former president to use the line of attack against DeSantis.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 8, 2023

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Love those big hands floating around Trump. Gotta remind everyone that he definitely does not have small hands.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

The point is people are very quick to explain why something absolutely can't be that because someone is "on their side".
Imagine that, thinking Democrats are less likely to be racist because they’re not in the party that embraces racism. Just silly team sports stuff!

Jaxyon posted:

This is a childlike understanding of racism. You can have some mildy racist misconceptions and beliefs without being an out-and-out Klan member. Lots of people have biases set in racism. Especially old white people.
Ok? Thanks for the unnecessary condescension. I don’t doubt John Kerry has racial biases as it’s well documented that coming from a white supremacist society almost always creates such biases (even among blacks.) But that’s very different from being “a racist,” and the opinions being ascribed to Kerry in this conversation aren’t unconscious biases, they pretty much are Klan hood racism.

The idea that I’m the one basing my interpretation of the comments on my opinion of the person saying them is absolutely hilarious, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

A historic milestone, our first magpie president

Come on, at least corvidae are smart :banjo: