Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like with Cammy she excels at closing the gap, controlling space, keeping pressure on, and anti airs.

This is great until I’m fighting someone where I don’t want to get command grabbed. Sometimes I can bait them into jumping and swat them away, but it always turns into a really intense game of keep away that I usually lose whenever I eventually go in for an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Everyone seems excited about the new characters, which is cool, but yeah I'm scouring the desert for droplets of ryu combos, content, and strategy discussion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Manoueverable posted:

Everyone seems excited about the new characters, which is cool, but yeah I'm scouring the desert for droplets of ryu combos, content, and strategy discussion.

You Hadoken until they jump and then you hit them with a Shoryuken.

Thanks I'm here all day.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Manoueverable posted:

Since Ryu was in the demo, you can look for content created before the game officially released. Like here's a Daigo vs GO1 video from the beginning of May:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBnPM3z1kY

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AndrewP posted:

I’ve definitely noticed the music thing of struggling through practice trying to work on something, then coming back later and ‘hey I can do it easily now’

My execution would be so much better if there was a variable speed option in the training mode. I think UNIEL had this and it was good. 50% and 100% isn't enough, I need like 75%, 90%, 100%.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Natural 20 posted:

You Hadoken until they jump and then you hit them with a Shoryuken.

Thanks I'm here all day.

:hmmyes:

jab jab LK tatsu, neutral drive rush 2LP tick throw or 2LP 5MP into whatever. 5HK (whiffs on crouching) and 6HP are +1 but both are bad against DI trigger happy opponents. 6HK can be delay canceled into EX tatsu to beat DI.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

iPodschun posted:

Since Ryu was in the demo, you can look for content created before the game officially released. Like here's a Daigo vs GO1 video from the beginning of May:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBnPM3z1kY
FG Translated Alpha is a great channel for Ryu content because he shared a ton of sets from "Daigo's Arcade" where a bunch of Japanese pros talked about the character for like a month straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlSXKDwA6i0

He also has probably the most well-defined Supercombo wiki page of all the SF6 characters:
https://wiki.supercombo.gg/w/Street_Fighter_6/Ryu

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is online working yet? It wasn't maybe an hour ago. I'm playing Strive, a game I have mostly forgotten how to play, but I wanna play the shiny new thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think gief is very good and i think luke is pretty busted

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is it wrong, when someone is playing better than you, to start bullying them with drive impacts and win the match by just slaming them with a di at every opportunity

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Al! posted:

is it wrong, when someone is playing better than you, to start bullying them with drive impacts and win the match by just slaming them with a di at every opportunity

no thats the true spirit of a warrior

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Al! posted:

if they were truly playing better than you they wouldn't lose to drive impacts

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What is the storyline order for SF games?

1->2->4->?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Al! posted:

Listen to Juri:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spacebump posted:

1->2->4->?

- 3S - 5, I think

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spacebump posted:

1->2->4->?

1 alpha 2 4 5 3 6

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Listen to Juri:

:hmmyes: goblin juri with the true answer to winning in fighting games

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Al! posted:

is it wrong, when someone is playing better than you, to start playing better than them

anime was right posted:

i dont think gief is very good and i think luke is pretty busted
I wanna hear more about why Luke is busted

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

is it wrong, when someone is playing better than you, to start playing better than them

That's against the gamer bushido.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

95% of my matches are against classic controls, except when I play against a Luke, which is modern 100% of the time.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean he's the main character of street fighter. Obviously if you're new to the franchise you want to play the main character of that franchise first, before moving on to more esoteric things like classic controls or Ryu.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Luke has everything and no real weaknesses.

Extremely balanced character with good tools for every situation that uses the system mechanics well. Uses drive very well between a fast and far traveling drive rush, huge damage increases in DR cancels, and very rewarding OD moves.

His corner pressure and mixup game is really good, 6HP is +2 on block and moves you forward, and is easily hit confirmable into the target combo, which is insane in a game where most characters struggle to get plus frames reasonably without spending drive.

Whiff punishes are extremely easy because so many of his normals move him forward, and his punishes off of jabs are better than average.

His level 1 super is also extremely good for the cost.

His only real downside is that if you can't time the flash knuckle charge in his combos then his damage is poopoo, but that can be solved with practice.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

Is online working yet? It wasn't maybe an hour ago. I'm playing Strive, a game I have mostly forgotten how to play, but I wanna play the shiny new thing.

The answer to this is yes, for those wondering, although I have now forgotten how to play both games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TGLT posted:

I mean he's the main character of street fighter. Obviously if you're new to the franchise you want to play the main character of that franchise first, before moving on to more esoteric things like classic controls or Ryu.

He’s the main character like Alex was for 3. It’ll be Ryu again soon enough.

The bug stopping some from getting Super Turbo for the run back challenge was fixed yesterday. (at least for me). I always forget how much better ST is compared to 2.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Brand new fighting game player going through World Tour, if any other rookies are having trouble with the bullshit sword guy side quest: Manon’s command grab interrupts it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing Luke Classic and I think the biggest advantage I personally get from Modern controls is a 100% reliable and fast anti-air (special that is)

back+special is so much easier than 623P which is slower and I will occasionally miss in the heat of battle

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

disgusting frame traps, strong damage, decent mix, tools for every matchup. i dont think he has any critical weaknesses, but a lot of characters ideal ranges sit outside where he wants to be in mid-range and his mix is mostly frame-trap based and not like a pure 50/50

it might be just the nature of the game currently favors characters that can blow you up off a single + button since everyones still kind of figuring out when they can escape pressure. meta could change, but hes insanely reliable.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Spacebump posted:

He’s the main character like Alex was for 3. It’ll be Ryu again soon enough.

Honestly I hope not. I feel like he wouldn't be getting new complexities like Denjin if he was still the box art character, although I haven't been really invested in Street Fighter before now so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Brand new fighting game player going through World Tour, if any other rookies are having trouble with the bullshit sword guy side quest: Manon’s command grab interrupts it

if you die once during it, luke also gives some sound advice: you can keep him around the middle of the stage, wait out the 5 slashes, and then punish him immediately after the last one finishes, which is what i ended up doing. this works good for the andore family too, where you can just kinda hover around waiting for their command grab, jump over them, and then either throw or combo them yourself

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Luke got a decent chance. There are probably more Luke players today than all of the Alex players combined since SF3.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
SF6 doesn't have any cross progression, right? I have it for PS5, but if I buy it for PC I'd end up having to start over again right?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what's my main job in a match if i want to play blanka

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I keep giving classic controls a try and then realising it's going to take hours to memorise these combos let alone get them off consistently. I played Laura in SFV because she was had the easiest combos and was fast, got to ultra silver I think there.

I think I'll just keep playing modern kimberly for a while and slowly work on Dhalsim classic when that starts to feel monotonous. Maybe take a look at Lily, too. I like either fast characters or ones I don't see often.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al! posted:

what's my main job in a match if i want to play blanka

Drive your opponent completely insane with mixups

But really I think the big thing is getting a good knockdown to setup mini blanka, and playing neutral around getting that knockdown

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Landing Cammy's Hooligan leg lock throw, especially the charged/EX version, feels like getting a brain massage from God.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I feel kind of paralysed by ken as deejay. All his buttons are beating mine im like ahhh

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Medullah posted:

SF6 doesn't have any cross progression, right? I have it for PS5, but if I buy it for PC I'd end up having to start over again right?

Yeah, you’ll be starting over. Capcom advertised cross progression but I think they sneakily just meant ps4 to ps5

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

god just put “Accidentally Jumped” on my tombstone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aegof posted:

god just put “Accidentally Jumped” on my tombstone

same, except "input cannon spike instead of spiral arrow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

net cafe scandal posted:

Landing Cammy's Hooligan leg lock throw, especially the charged/EX version, feels like getting a brain massage from God.

I didn't play 5 at all, did her slide always go toward the enemy even if you jumped over them? I vaguely remember 4 where she'd just keep sliding the direction she jumped, and I'm 99% sure ST is the same.

I'm having so much fun in 6 but trying to recapture my "Medullah spends 3 hours a day in the arcade playing ST" has been challenging because I'm old as gently caress