Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

I don’t agree with this, because I think lots of people are flippant, jaded assholes in the GB universe.

That's just people being normal. :shrug:

Xealot posted:

I view the original as an irreverent piss-take of HP Lovecraft. There are inscrutable elder gods, a cold and indifferent universe full of forces that can end civilization, but instead of collapsing into despair, the people of New York are too busy and cynical to give a gently caress.

It’s not just the Ghostbusters themselves, it’s everyone. The Mayor cares way more about the next election than the rising tide of the undead.

I loaded up all the mayor's scenes and rewatched them right now and I don't agree with that interpretation. Peter's line about "saving the lives of millions of registered voters" is what finally sways his opinion in GB1 but he was already desperate for a solution before that. He refuses to listen to them in GB2 but that's because they're just causing a nuisance and there's no recognisable threat occurring yet, and the hook in that movie is that everyone retroactively decided that they were fakers and conmen and no longer believe their poo poo

Xealot posted:

Businessmen need to get to Lincoln Center, the ConEd dude doesn’t want to get sued, the cops resent this Fed telling them what to do. The literal apocalypse doesn’t change the fact Winston’s gotta get paid.

Everyone’s kind of in on the joke, in that sense. “I’ll take the next one.” “I gotta get my own lawyer…”

The "I'll take the next one" guys and the snooty diners in Central Park ignoring Louis getting mauled by a Terror Dog are funny because the audience is in on the joke, those people are just jaded New Yorkers doing their best to avid weirdoes. The Terror Dog scene is a lot less funny if you look at it from the other angle where a bunch of rich people think they saw a homeless guy getting mauled by a stray dog and just ignored it

ETA: note that I'm also not 100% sold on this idea of "The jokes in Ghostbusters only work because the comedic characters are juxtaposed against a world where everyone else is not living in a comedy", it's just an idea that occurred to me the other day and it's not fully fleshed out. But it does work as a handy explanation for why the sequels always seem to need to start with a reset where the rest of the world has forgotten or dismissed the events of the previous films, and also explains why the whole mood in GB2016 felt 'off' because they crammed in a whole lot of other wacky characters like the tour guide in the intro scene

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
GB2, 2016 and Afterlife all try to add something that wasn't very present in the original film, in different ways.

Emotion. Or sentiment, if you're feeling snarky.

GB1 is basically a film on Venkman's wavelength. It doesn't get wrapped up in character development or their inner lives. It goes from one scene to the next with swagger in its step. Only at the very end, when we think Dana might be dead, does the film get a really serious/sad moment that isn't played for laughs or for scares, and it doesn't last long. It doesn't *undercut* its movie moments of emotionality so much as it never brings them up to begin with. The movie is the guys on their big adventure with a few side scenes of Venkman and Dana's romance before even that gets wrapped up in the big adventure.

GB2 changes the game. Even Egon's gotten more emotional over five years. There's a baby, and cute shots thereof. There's regrets. There's morals and discussions about the importance of being good people. There's Randy Edelman's score with its tinkling piano. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of this very successful.

GB2016 tells a story of friendship. It is meant to touch your heart when Erin leaps into the pit to save Patty, reaches out to her, etc. I actually do think this element of the movie works, and helps it stand apart from the original. They do a better job of that than they do with the humor.

Afterlife has a whole emotional plot for Phoebe. She is a more conventional movie protagonist with dramatic speeches and stuff. It's not nearly as much of a comedy as the first flick, it's really all about family. It's been said eight million times but Afterlife feels like someone aping 1980s Spielberg than it does the original. Again, I find Afterlife successful in what it does—there's probably too much hugging at the end, but its attempts at feeling still, well, *feel* better for me than GB2's awkwardnesses.

I think it's very hard to replicate the unique vibe of the original. And so if the new film continues on its own path I'm okay with it, as long as it does it well.

I've enjoyed seeing spy videos and photos over the past couple of days; that's enough to get ME emotional… :3:

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 7, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just want to point out something...

quote:

Walter Peck:
Hold it! I want this man arrested! Captain, these men are in criminal violation of the Environmental Protection Act! And this explosion is a direct result of it!
Dr. Egon Spengler:
YOUR MOTHER!

The only time Egon really shows emotion is when someone insults his ability as a scientist.

He does give a slight smile when he describes Ivo Shandor when they are in jail.

Edit:He's also scared when going down the pole. now that I think about it.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 8, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

The only time Egon really shows emotion is when someone insults his ability as a scientist.

He does give a slight smile when he describes Ivo Shandor when they are in jail.

Edit:He's also scared when going down the pole. now that I think about it.

He has a genuinely worried look when he enters the ballroom.

Edit: totally separate topic, but I absolutely love how Bobby Brown's "On Our Own" is played on the Non-Stop Pop FM station in GTA Online.

Words are not good enough to describe how totally thrilled I was to hear it come on as I fly over Los Santos at night.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 8, 2023

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Moranis and MacNicol are the MVPs. They should have made a movie just about the two of them being weird. Not even as Louis and Janosz, just the two of them playing off each other with whatever weirdo character ideas they have.

My Dinner With Louis, in which Janosz sits down with Dana Barrett’s former neighbor to try to get hints on how to score a date and ends up being enraptured by Louis talking about that time he was stuck in an elevator and had to make the whole time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Egon's whole thing is being understated. Not emotionless.

Until you insult his skills as a scientist.

It's genius.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's a great experience to watch Ghostbusters and only pay attention to Egon. He's hilarious and wonderful and Harold Ramis is truly missed

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It's a great experience to watch Ghostbusters and only pay attention to Egon. He's hilarious and wonderful and Harold Ramis is truly missed

Having only seen the 4:3 pan-and-scan TV/VHS version of the movie for years, finding out Egon was indicating to Venkman how much to charge at the Sedgewick was a revelation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Having only seen the 4:3 pan-and-scan TV/VHS version of the movie for years, finding out Egon was indicating to Venkman how much to charge at the Sedgewick was a revelation.

Yeah, it wasn't until the DVD came out that I realized how many visual gags there were.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Alan_Shore posted:

What do you mean missed? I swear I just saw him in a new movie like a year ago.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That moment could've landed a hell of a lot better if they'd have kept it short and sweet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So growing up the copy of Ghostbusters I had was something my dad recorded off of pirated HBO, but he didn't get the recording started at the beginning of the movie. No, the copy my family had started basically in media res as they're walking through the stacks of the library looking for the ghost. I had no idea there was an entirely different opening sequence until I was in high school and got to see the movie at a theatrical re-release.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

8one6 posted:

So growing up the copy of Ghostbusters I had was something my dad recorded off of pirated HBO, but he didn't get the recording started at the beginning of the movie. No, the copy my family had started basically in media res as they're walking through the stacks of the library looking for the ghost. I had no idea there was an entirely different opening sequence until I was in high school and got to see the movie at a theatrical re-release.

I had a similar experience with Blue Brothers growing up, my dad loved that film and watched it a whole lot but he'd taped it off the TV and missed the first few minutes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

8one6 posted:

Yeah, my copy (recorded late one night on MITV! :canada:) started with the Ray busting in on Peter when he's flirting with the student. But the thing is, before that, I used to ask my parents to rent the movie so much that I had already seen the entire thing many times. So, from about 1988 all the way until I bought the DVD for myself in like 1999, I had known there was more, but hadn't seen it in a long time.

Plus, all of the weird edits. No swearing, no Fort Detmerring, alternate takes, plus it was of course 4:3 with some very weird pan and scan moves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny that letterboxed pan and scan is so bad it was something I noticed as like a four year old watching GB2 on VHS. I knew something was hosed up but of course didn't know what exactly. Probably more obvious since I'd watch the two flicks back to back all the time.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
A little something I typed up for my Facebook friends today, thought this thread might enjoy it…

————

For the anniversary of my favorite movie, I wanna share something I only noticed this year. Well, maybe not ‘noticed’, but never really put the pieces together on till now.

Okay. Just in case it’s been a while since you’ve seen it, the end of “Ghostbusters” / beginning of the credits is a crowd of New Yorkers cheering for the gang upon their triumphant return from the rooftop, having blown up the giant marshmallow man and saved the day. All good.

… From their perspective.

You see, I never really considered this question—what does the crowd know?

I’ve long assumed that their function was like an audience surrogate, giving us permission to whoop and cheer for the good guys as if it’s a curtain call at a play. (And to be sure, that’s part of the fun.)

But there’s a difference between us and them. The crowd on the screen doesn’t know what we know.

(The movie even sets us up for this chasm between their knowledge and ours, by cutting from the oh-so-heroic, music-fueled moment of the guys entering the building for battle to the unglamorous plod up the stairs.)

The crowd didn’t hear anything the Ghostbusters said in the building or on the rooftop. They heard whatever Gozer bellowed, but it’s not the most straightforward material to make meaning of. (We, the audience, have the benefit of Venkman explaining it to us with the J. Edgar Hoover line. The crowd onscreen received no such explanation.)

The crowd doesn’t know that Stantz is responsible, however unfairly, for summoning Mr. Stay-Puft.

The crowd definitely doesn’t know that the heroes they're cheering for pulled a solution out of their rear end with a “very slim chance” of an incredibly dangerous gambit which fortunately happened to work.

The crowd just knows that the guys went in, then after a while some scary stuff happened, then a giant monster appeared, then the guys shot him, and then he started burning and going after them directly, and then when he got real close he blew up and the natural balance of things was restored.

In short, the crowd is applauding a conventional group of world-saving heroes, and thus giving us, the audience, the gift of enjoying it with them.

But that’s not what actually happened.

It’s the movie’s last trick, and we’re in on it—and yet, the end result is that we forget we’re in on it. The movie told us the guys were conning us, but we applaud not the con, like it's "The Sting", but the triumph of good over evil, like it's a superhero movie. We merrily agree with the theme song that promises results we know drat well were not quite so straightforwardly delivered.

I think "The Prestige" has the answer: we want to be fooled.

Like any great magic trick, you can know everything there is to know about how it’s done, and yet, somehow, it's more fun if you choose to let the guy put one over on ya…

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Icon-Cat posted:

A little something I typed up for my Facebook friends today, thought this thread might enjoy it…

————

For the anniversary of my favorite movie, I wanna share something I only noticed this year. Well, maybe not ‘noticed’, but never really put the pieces together on till now.

Okay. Just in case it’s been a while since you’ve seen it, the end of “Ghostbusters” / beginning of the credits is a crowd of New Yorkers cheering for the gang upon their triumphant return from the rooftop, having blown up the giant marshmallow man and saved the day. All good.

… From their perspective.

You see, I never really considered this question—what does the crowd know?

I’ve long assumed that their function was like an audience surrogate, giving us permission to whoop and cheer for the good guys as if it’s a curtain call at a play. (And to be sure, that’s part of the fun.)

But there’s a difference between us and them. The crowd on the screen doesn’t know what we know.

(The movie even sets us up for this chasm between their knowledge and ours, by cutting from the oh-so-heroic, music-fueled moment of the guys entering the building for battle to the unglamorous plod up the stairs.)

The crowd didn’t hear anything the Ghostbusters said in the building or on the rooftop. They heard whatever Gozer bellowed, but it’s not the most straightforward material to make meaning of. (We, the audience, have the benefit of Venkman explaining it to us with the J. Edgar Hoover line. The crowd onscreen received no such explanation.)

The crowd doesn’t know that Stantz is responsible, however unfairly, for summoning Mr. Stay-Puft.

The crowd definitely doesn’t know that the heroes they're cheering for pulled a solution out of their rear end with a “very slim chance” of an incredibly dangerous gambit which fortunately happened to work.

The crowd just knows that the guys went in, then after a while some scary stuff happened, then a giant monster appeared, then the guys shot him, and then he started burning and going after them directly, and then when he got real close he blew up and the natural balance of things was restored.

In short, the crowd is applauding a conventional group of world-saving heroes, and thus giving us, the audience, the gift of enjoying it with them.

But that’s not what actually happened.

It’s the movie’s last trick, and we’re in on it—and yet, the end result is that we forget we’re in on it. The movie told us the guys were conning us, but we applaud not the con, like it's "The Sting", but the triumph of good over evil, like it's a superhero movie. We merrily agree with the theme song that promises results we know drat well were not quite so straightforwardly delivered.

I think "The Prestige" has the answer: we want to be fooled.

Like any great magic trick, you can know everything there is to know about how it’s done, and yet, somehow, it's more fun if you choose to let the guy put one over on ya…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb8Yoqzpxy4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well that looks all perfect

https://twitter.com/gb3blog/status/1666919856392794116

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McKenna Grace is the best part of afterlife.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New (apparently official?) teaser poster released.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
ICE to see you!

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

The_Doctor posted:

Well that looks all perfect

I dunno. How's the wiring? :colbert:

For the longest time when I was a kid I wondered how they did the earthquake scenes in the original, since I knew that was a real place in New York. It was only when I was in high school and getting into making movies myself that I learned that only parts of those scenes were shot at the real building, and shots that required actually breaking things / making holes were shot on a set that so closely mimicked the original that I never spotted the change.

It was at once so simple and so flabbergasting to my young mind, and helped me think all the more, gee, movie magic is neat.

I got a little bit of that feeling back just now. :glomp:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

I dunno. How's the wiring? :colbert:

Substandard!

Yeah, the earthquake bit was a replica of outside 55 Central Park West, built in LA.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Gonna miss Ramis some more when this one comes out.

"So, Egon, how does the old place look?"

"The wiring can best be described as a melted mess, the entire north wall is suffering from dry rot, and there's a family of feral cats living in the basement, Venkman."

"Hey, guys, the pole still works!"

"I think we're going to need more than a pole this time, Ray."

"I dunno, my extensive investigation of a variety of clubs and venues over the years suggests that a pole can make or break the experience."

"Who owns this place now, anyway?"

"Hi, fellas."

"Winston!"

"I understand you're interested in renting this old place back from me?"

"My inspection found significant, possibly catastrophic, structural damage that hasn't been adequately addressed."

"Pole still works."

"That's what I said!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deoju posted:

Also Peter is aware of this and subtly digs at Egon occasionally throughout the film. When the guy at the NY Public Library asks if they're the men from the university Peter introduces them as "Dr Venkman, Dr Stanz .... Egon"

Splint Chesthair posted:

When they're inspecting the firehouse, in the few seconds between when Ray says "We should stay here tonight - sleep here -- you know, to try it out!" and when Peter turns to the realtor and says "I think we'll take it" there's an entirely silent conversation that takes part between Egon and Peter which is basically "Well it looks like it's settled :haw:" "Absolutely not, no :colbert: ..... oh goddamit :doh:"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- Dana cleans Peter's apt (he tells her that they're going out tonight. Is this the first and only time Janine's last name is used in either movie?

I just noticed she had a nameplate on her desk all through GB1

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 9, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

One of the things that bugs me about GB2 is how most of it inexplicably takes place on the same day (New Year's Eve).
[snip]
That is one tight schedule.

GB1 also has an incredibly tight schedule. Immediately after their very first gig at the Sedgewick Hotel there's a 2 minute montage of them running all over NY busting ghosts intercut with media reports from Casey Kasem and Larry King etc and that immediately cuts to Winston getting hired ("If there's a steady paycheck in it I'll believe anything you say") and during that same day Peter meets with Dana after her rehearsal and tells her about Gozer and makes a date for Thursday, Walter Peck meets with Peter and threatens to get a court order, and the whole "Tell him about the Twinkie" scene. Then there's a hidden timeskip to Thursday night where the rest of the movie unfolds in rapid succession: the Terror Dogs wake up and grab Louis and Dana, Peter turns up for his date with Dana and sedates her, the cops bring Louis to Egon, skip to next morning and Peck closes down the containment grid and Louis runs off and Dana reawakens, the Ghostbusters get thrown in prison, NYC gets overrun with ghosts, the Ghostbusters meet with the mayor, and finally the showdown with Gozer and Stay Puft.

The part where the Terror Dogs start breaking out of their statues happens just before the halfway point so the entire second half of the film happens within 24 hours. It also means that Winston got thrown in jail and then had to face down Stay Puft and Gozer only a couple of days after he got hired. :v:

E: I just realised that way back at the start of the movie just before Dana had the Zuul encounter in her kitchen she met with Louis in the hallway and he invited her to the party, so the entire film must have happened within a very short time frame

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The part where the Terror Dogs start breaking out of their statues happens just before the halfway point so the entire second half of the film happens within 24 hours. It also means that Winston got thrown in jail and then had to face down Stay Puft and Gozer only a couple of days after he got hired. :v:

"My name's Winston Zeddemore, your Honor. Now, I've only been with the company for a few weeks, but I gotta tell ya; these. things. are real. Since I joined these men, I have seen poo poo they'll turn you white."

:thunk:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but more pointing out a plot error.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm not saying you're wrong, but more pointing out a plot error.

Yeah the editors mixed everything up at some point, it's pretty obvious that the scene where Peter meets with Walter Peck happened immediately after the scene where Peter and Ray met Winston for the first time (it starts with Peter standing in the same spot wearing the same uniform with the same slime all over it and even smoking the same cigarette) but the scene where he meets with Dana outside the concert hall got slotted in between them

Caros
May 14, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

That moment could've landed a hell of a lot better if they'd have kept it short and sweet.

Literally just have a ghostly hand and upper arm in Ghostbusters coveralls come into frame. To help her hold steady.

All the emotional catharsis without the ghoulish digital revenant.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Caros posted:

Literally just have a ghostly hand and upper arm in Ghostbusters coveralls come into frame. To help her hold steady.

That really is all it needed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah that would have been significantly better, but you know because we CAN create horrible ghoulish abominations so we can continue to exploit actors even past their death means we SHOULD do it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should've made his ghost look like slimer.

(I have not seen the new movie and do not know what his ghost looks like, but I feel confident nobody refers to him as an ugly little spud)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Even if they wanted to show Egon it would've been so much better to just have the guys look over at him and we see the emotions in their faces without them having to say a word. They didn't need to tack on the extra bit with the "I miss you my friend" and all that crap, it turned what could've been a nice moment into an eyerolling moment.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ruddiger posted:

They should've made his ghost look like slimer.

Yeah, what are those rules? You get to be a translucent Star Wars ghost or a hosed up claymation puppet monster.

I guess the librarian was both. Maybe it’s your choice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s what was in your soul.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So someone working on the movie uploaded a bunch of very spoilery concept art to their artstation before taking it all back down again.

And some more are here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hope Egon is in there. You can’t be too careful with ghosts

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Annnnnnnnnd.... I'm out of this thread.

With big spoilers now in the mix I'm out. No disrespect to anybody who sticks around though. Have fun without me. See y'all opening night.

:wave:

Edit: in case you are wondering why I just don't click on the spoiler text I don't have the will power.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo.

You know what? This is starting to feel like a long episode of The Real Ghostbusters, and I am here for that.

More containment unit logic and lore, please. I loving love that thing and how pretty mysterious it is.

That never-filmed scene of Peter looking inside it gives me chills.