Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

wash bucket posted:

That's still automated police surveillance so therefore I hate it.

Well good news, license plate cameras are already wide spread in the US, and they don't automatically ticket speeders or cars running red lights. Instead they are used by police to surveil drivers.

I can't recall exactly where, but I remember arguing with an idiot that was ticketed for speeding by a tollway. The toll authority divided the distance between tolls by his time at each toll booth and ticketed him for speeding, and the guy refused to believe they could figure out he was speeding through math.

But yeah, more speed cameras. Also have the cameras not administered by the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

FREEDOM TRUK AMERICA TRUK BIG FREEDOM marketing has just been insanely effective, right up there with anti-nuclear campaigns. The idea of shelling out 1k+ a month for a loving car is insane to me but it's like, the norm now as there aren't even used vehicles in the 10-15k range anymore. Auto loans inflating to where they are and people casually dropping 100k+ on crypto and similar scams is just an amazing case for an income cap.

your post reminded me of this utterly insane ad from a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpJvey-7-s

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Where does this expectation of privacy come from when operating a motor vehicle on public roads lol. "Of course phones are 10,000x worse, but you can just not take your phone" okay how about just don't drive then. It's a shared space and there should be consequences to acting in an antisocial manner in it, doubly so when we're rapidly approaching the average car being able to hit 60 from a stop in 2 seconds while weighing 4+ tons and the driver not being able to actually see anything going on around them.

Police in the US are famous for their use of tools and authority to inflict consequences on people who haven't earned them.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Well good news, license plate cameras are already wide spread in the US, and they don't automatically ticket speeders or cars running red lights. Instead they are used by police to surveil drivers.

That's not good news at all and in fact is the very thing I'm concerned about.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But yeah, more speed cameras. Also have the cameras not administered by the police.

You found a genie in a magic lamp or something?

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jun 8, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

people driving cars should be made to feel as oppressed as possible at every turn

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

FREEDOM TRUK AMERICA TRUK BIG FREEDOM marketing has just been insanely effective, right up there with anti-nuclear campaigns. The idea of shelling out 1k+ a month for a loving car is insane to me but it's like, the norm now as there aren't even used vehicles in the 10-15k range anymore. Auto loans inflating to where they are and people casually dropping 100k+ on crypto and similar scams is just an amazing case for an income cap.

i heard a guy say "it's more respectable to drive a go-kart than a smart car" the other day and it's like, I wonder if this guy realizes he just has this really loving dumb unexamined belief that's been put into his head by car commercials lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no pun intended

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he drives the jeep which is also a truck btw

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

Where does this expectation of privacy come from when operating a motor vehicle on public roads lol. "Of course phones are 10,000x worse, but you can just not take your phone" okay how about just don't drive then. It's a shared space and there should be consequences to acting in an antisocial manner in it, doubly so when we're rapidly approaching the average car being able to hit 60 from a stop in 2 seconds while weighing 4+ tons and the driver not being able to actually see anything going on around them.

It comes from a little something called the Fourth Amendment, pal.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wash bucket posted:

Police in the US are famous for their use of tools and authority to inflict consequences on people who haven't earned them.

is fire code inspection and pipeline safety dept also police

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Anyways speed cameras own, I drive 0-4 mph over posted limit everywhere and I have no issues

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

wash bucket posted:

That's not good news at all and in fact is the very thing I'm concerned about.

You're really dumb and that's coming from someone with actual brain damage hth

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

500excf type r posted:

You're really dumb and that's coming from someone with actual brain damage hth

Which part am I wrong about?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

wash bucket posted:

you are wishcasting, unlike me, a person with actual influence over the process

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"you said something should be done one way. but it's not being done that way, so aren't you an idiotic dreamer, moron?"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

wash bucket posted:

Which part am I wrong about?

It's not right or wrong it is apples and oranges except you're like a papaya or some poo poo

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"you said something should be done one way. but it's not being done that way, so aren't you an idiotic dreamer, moron?"

If there's some way to have the police use traffic cameras to issue speeding tickets without also feeding that info into the location tracking systems they already have that would solve my concerns here. Sounds like a stretch though.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Ministry of Transportation, DOT or the municipal roads office mails you a fine for speeding, somehow cops start blasting??? Feels like some logical steps were skipped here.

E: oh I forgot the only government anywhere is the cops

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

wash bucket posted:

If there's some way to have the police use traffic cameras to issue speeding tickets without also feeding that info into the location tracking systems they already have that would solve my concerns here. Sounds like a stretch though.

under the current system the cops have your location immediately because they are the ones pulling you over

Apr 7, 2003

if the police actually pulled anyone over around here I'd hug and kiss them. they do not because traffic enforcement is below a Hero Warrior's station and also back around 2005 or so a cop here got blasted during a routine traffic stop. So now you can do 100mph out to the airport if you want. They'll be there to scrape your hamburgered body off the road if you crash but they won't do a goddamn thing until then.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

wash bucket posted:

Camera enforcement is almost always completely removed from law enforcement officers and does not use the already existing infrastructure police use to collect and store data

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

500excf type r posted:

Camera enforcement is almost always completely removed from law enforcement officers and does not use the already existing infrastructure police use to collect and store data

yeah, it's run by a Saudi shell corporation that the city government sold the system to for a lump sum of like 1% of the lifetime proceeds

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

500excf type r posted:

In the US that isn't the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TMyBSqyqo

If other countries have done a better job with this sort of thing that's great. The US has not.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah, it's run by a Saudi shell corporation that the city government sold the system to for a lump sum of like 1% of the lifetime proceeds

imo they should not do that but apparently unless i have the magic ability to change it it's wrong to have that opinion

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i think we should use speeding tickets to fund more public transportation, because i'm a sicko

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

House of Saud ftw

Apr 7, 2003

Heh, more like the House of Sawed

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
House of Sod, your #1 stop for seed, sod and lawn fertilizer

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

wash bucket posted:

If other countries have done a better job with this sort of thing that's great. The US has not.

your concerns are reasonable and valid but also so completely devoid of context that they are stupid. yes, it is true that anywhere in the US that gets speed cameras will do it the dumbest way possible. it is also true that the dumbest way possible is still better than no speed cameras, because they are they only way we're getting any sort of traffic enforcement that isn't just random summary executions for driving while black and if we do not start getting traffic enforcement people are just going to keep running over more and more small children/pedestrians/cyclists/pets/storefronts/living rooms/other cars/loving anything they can fit under their new truck.

put in the speed cameras now, we can take them away from the police when you push your police reform plan through.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i do agree that ideally we wouldn't need speed enforcement because vehicles would not be privately owned

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
i hope they make cars illegal so i can lose my job and home then die

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gunshow Poophole posted:

A percentage is not a lump sum unless you're implying it was estimated and paid in advance

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

if causal evidence exists between speed cameras and police brutality I'm all ears

Apr 7, 2003

Dixon Chisholm posted:

i hope they make cars illegal so i can lose my job and home then die

same but unironically

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I support any and every solution to speeding no matter how inane or violent, by any means necessary. There, made it real simple for you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

your post reminded me of this utterly insane ad from a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpJvey-7-s

Why have I been seeing references to this everywhere lately

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
but i also hate cars. it is a real conundrum.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

your concerns are reasonable and valid but also so completely devoid of context that they are stupid. yes, it is true that anywhere in the US that gets speed cameras will do it the dumbest way possible. it is also true that the dumbest way possible is still better than no speed cameras, because they are they only way we're getting any sort of traffic enforcement that isn't just random summary executions for driving while black and if we do not start getting traffic enforcement people are just going to keep running over more and more small children/pedestrians/cyclists/pets/storefronts/living rooms/other cars/loving anything they can fit under their new truck.

put in the speed cameras now, we can take them away from the police when you push your police reform plan through.

Accelerationist take: if we get enough cars at a high enough speed through all the schools (I would have said school zones, but let's not limit ourselves), we can run over literally every child, which means that in a couple generations, there will be no one to drive cars on account of everyone being dead.

For the record, I also believe that automated fines from cameras are good. A highschool classmate's mom had a framed picture of his big brother from one of them in the living room. It was presumably a good lesson. Also anything that does not have a racist rear end in a top hat making decisions on the fly is probably better than cops.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

in Seattle there was an equity issue raised about speed cameras being placed disproportionately in poc neighborhoods and therefore being an undue burden. on the other hand, pedestrians most at risk of dying from car are also poc. the only answer is to raise awareness and educate drivers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

in Seattle there was an equity issue raised about speed cameras being placed disproportionately in poc neighborhoods and therefore being an undue burden. on the other hand, pedestrians most at risk of dying from car are also poc. the only answer is to raise awareness and educate drivers.
is this sarcasm?

if not the answer is to put the cameras everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i think I'm somewhat sympathetic to arguments that things like speed cameras have issues in the US due to, you know, how monstrously hosed up the country is from top to bottom, but also the people making the arguments seem to think that literally nothing can ever be accomplished short of a revolution which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen any time soon. this same sort of thing seems to happen with gun control