Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The DeSantis campaign has already launched a counterattack: Trump is totally gay for Fauci

quote:

"It was sneaky to intermix what appears to be authentic photos with fake photos, but these three images are almost certainly AI generated," said Hany Farid, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley and expert in digital forensics, misinformation and image analysis.

Farid and two other media forensics experts polled by AFP agreed the images have irregular characteristics typical of those produced by AI.

"These images contain many signs indicating that they were AI-generated," said Matthew Stamm, an associate professor of electrical and computer engineering at Drexel University, who specializes in detecting falsified images and videos. "For example, if you look closely at Donald Trump's hair in the top-left, bottom-middle, and bottom-right images, you can see that it contains inconsistent textures and is significantly blurrier than other nearby content such as his ears or other regions of his face."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1666839607911100416

Fellas is "My client has the impulse control of a 3 year old" an affirmative defense to prosecution?

I mean I have made that argument many times . . . As mitigation in guilty pleas. "Your honor, my client is a giant moron" . . Hell I made that argument two separate times *today*. I just followed it with "and he has learned his lesson, is sorry, and won't do it again" afterwards.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Shooting Blanks posted:

One reasonably common complaint in this thread is about politicians dodging questions as asked and giving an answer that's only partially related, or not at all. It's kind of hard to fault Kerry for answering a question as asked.

He could’ve challenged the notion and premise of the question, no? And again, present it as a learning moment. He could have. But he didn’t.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean I have made that argument many times . . . As mitigation in guilty pleas. "Your honor, my client is a giant moron" . . Hell I made that argument two separate times *today*. I just followed it with "and he has learned his lesson, is sorry, and won't do it again" afterwards.

And were any of these clients former presidents of the United States of America

https://twitter.com/CookPolitical/status/1666870977672642580

lol that's uh, quite a swing

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 8, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tiny Ron is not in fact tiny

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theCalamity posted:

He could’ve challenged the notion and premise of the question, no? And again, present it as a learning moment. He could have. But he didn’t.

We don’t even know what the actual wording of the question he answered “it’s not sustainable” to was.

This whole conversation is as absurd as it is inconsequential. DEMS BAD!

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
Yeah this conversation is absurd. DEMS GOOD!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jen heir rick posted:

Yeah this conversation is absurd. DEMS GOOD!

It’s not about “Dems good” vs. “Dems bad,” it’s about “reading words in context and understanding their meaning” vs. “Dems bad.” It’s about confirmation bias. Thinking “Dems good” is not a prerequisite for noticing that things that aren’t racist aren’t racist. But reflexively thinking “Dems bad” is pretty much necessary to ascribe racial malice to someone via bad-faith readings of interview answers.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ the acrobatics here are incredible.

It doesn't even matter if there's an explanation for those comments, only that someone could have asked him a leading question.

(His answer would still suck, because there is a context to the question and answer and that is several centuries of colonialism. I give him enough credit to assume he knows that)

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 8, 2023

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

zoux posted:

Geez, I'm from bama and I never paid attention to the congressional districts. I don't know if the districts look like they did when I lived there, but I can clearly identify a district that cuts out the nearly all-black area in one of the major metro areas, and lumps it in with the vast countryside to the north of it that is also heavily black. Just from my surface level knowledge of the area it's pretty egregious.

edit: lol, holy crap it's even worse than I thought.

District 7 dips its toes into 3 loving metro areas: Mobile, Montgomery, and Birmingham, and these are concentrated black areas. Holy christ, it takes black folks from 3 cities and the countryside and puts it into one district.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 8, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

The DeSantis campaign has already launched a counterattack: Trump is totally gay for Fauci

I like to think about who the target of these kinds of ads is. Maybe somewhere there's an incredibly off his rocker right wing loon who saw this and went "I knew it! I knew he was gay for Fauci this whole time!"

Adenoid Dan posted:

Because I disagreed with your inference?

zoux posted:

Do you (or anyone) have the full article by any chance? I'm curious what the effects of this could be, but I'm not signing up and giving them money to find out.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adenoid Dan posted:

I agree that there are some amazing death-defying feats of aerial rhetorical gymnastics going on right now, although we seem to disagree on where they’re taking place. Anyway, we seem to be going in circles, and your last post very much misstates my position, and I’m not much of a fan of my last couple of posts on the subject so, I guess we’ll just have to mark it down as “disagree” and move on with our lives somehow.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Geez, I'm from bama and I never paid attention to the congressional districts. I don't know if the districts look like they did when I lived there, but I can clearly identify a district that cuts out the nearly all-black city in one of the major metro areas, and lumps it in with the vast countryside to the north of it that is also heavily black. Just from my surface level knowledge of the area it's pretty egregious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like to think about who the target of these kinds of ads is. Maybe somewhere there's an incredibly off his rocker right wing loon who saw this and went "I knew it! I knew he was gay for Fauci this whole time!"

Because I disagreed with your inference?

Do you (or anyone) have the full article by any chance? I'm curious what the effects of this could be, but I'm not signing up and giving them money to find out.

I think 2-5 seats is the consensus, at least from the people I read/follow. And it's the same five seats mentioned in that cook report tweet, though some think there might be another one in SC.

e: more from Dave
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1666891516676063233

I take that to imply that they are being very conservative in their initial estimations.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 8, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I would vote for all of them over Trump I'll say that much.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Since you can't give this up

Mellow Seas posted:

Imagine that, thinking Democrats are less likely to be racist because they’re not in the party that embraces racism. Just silly team sports stuff!

Less doesn't mean zero.

quote:

Ok? Thanks for the unnecessary condescension. I don’t doubt John Kerry has racial biases as it’s well documented that coming from a white supremacist society almost always creates such biases (even among blacks.) But that’s very different from being “a racist,” and the opinions being ascribed to Kerry in this conversation aren’t unconscious biases, they pretty much are Klan hood racism.

No, that's not different from being "a racist".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USCE Spring - some amazing death-defying feats of aerial rhetorical gymnastics

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's only racism if it comes from the racíst region in France. Otherwise it's just sparkling white supremacy.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah dammit, that’s why you never say “I’m done,” somebody always gets ya.

Jaxyon posted:

Less doesn't mean zero.
Never claimed that it did! In fact I even explicitly said it’s possible Kerry is racist! I don’t know him!

quote:

No offense, but this response suggests that you don’t know what unconscious racial bias is. It’s a systemic effect arising from exposure to racialized societies. If you think your perception of race hasn’t been effected by living the US then I’m not the one with the childlike understanding of racism.

E: sorry - meant to post a link to an informative article. https://www.science.org/content/article/meet-psychologist-exploring-unconscious-bias-and-its-tragic-consequences-society

Professor Beetus posted:

It's only racism if it comes from the racíst region in France. Otherwise it's just sparkling white supremacy.
:rolleyes: If Kerry is a racist because of unconscious bias then almost everybody in this thread is “a racist,” at which point, you know, what word do you have left for the people actively working towards a white ethnostate?

Stop collapsing all bad things into being equal to each other.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 8, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

:rolleyes: If Kerry is a racist because of unconscious bias then almost everybody in this thread is “a racist,”

Yeah p much which is why it's important for folks to embrace anti-racism and work on understanding and confronting their unconscious biases. Based on Kerry's reference to African birth rates, I'm going to take a wild guess that he's not doing a lot of reflection on that.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Since you can't give this up

Less doesn't mean zero.

You are arguing against an argument that nobody is making. It might be better to quote what you are responding to more clearly.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah p much which is why it's important for folks to embrace anti-racism and work on understanding and confronting their unconscious biases. Based on Kerry's reference to African birth rates, I'm going to take a wild guess that he's not doing a lot of reflection on that.
That’s not where the goalposts started at all but whatever. I guess I’ll just agree that the only possible reason in the entire world somebody would talk about the region with the highest birth rates when asked a question about overpopulation is because of racism. Yet another brilliant deduction by D&D’s greatest minds.

vvv No, I agree with you! You did it! You won me over! Great job!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 8, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Posters slowly comprehending the pervasive nature of white supremacy ITT

Mellow Seas posted:

If Kerry is a racist because of unconscious bias then almost everybody in this thread is “a racist,”

Yes, you're getting it!

quote:

at which point, you know, what word do you have left for the people actively working towards a white ethnostate?

White nationalists, Klan, Neo-Nazis. Do you need more?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1666822494635036675?s=20

From what I understanding this decision more or less upholds the lower court's ruling, but since they had issued a stay on that ruling, they used these maps in the 2022 election and it could've easily given the house to Democrats

So the effect of this has already been that the Supreme Court gave the house to Republicans in the last election

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Analysis from SCOTUS Blog

https://www.scotusblog.com/2023/06/supreme-court-upholds-section-2-of-voting-rights-act/

quote:

By a vote of 5-4 on Thursday, the justices issued a major voting rights decision, ruling that Alabama’s new congressional map likely violates the Voting Rights Act. But even more significantly, the court declined an invitation to adopt an interpretation of the act that would have made it much more difficult to challenge redistricting plans on the ground that they weaken the collective voting power of Black people.

The law at the center of the court’s decision in Allen v. Milligan is Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, which bars election practices that result in a denial or abridgement of the right to vote based on race. Voters and other groups went to court in 2021 to challenge Alabama’s redistricting map for its seven seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. They argued that the map violated Section 2 by diluting the votes of the state’s Black residents, who make up 27% of the state’s population. Specifically, they said, the state’s new plan packed many Black voters into a single district in a part of central Alabama known as the “Black Belt,” while at the same time dispersing Black voters in the rest of the Black Belt into several other districts.

A three-judge court that included two judges appointed by President Donald Trump agreed with the challengers and ruled that the map likely violated Section 2. But last year the Supreme Court put that ruling on hold, clearing the way for Alabama to use the map in the 2022 elections. Republicans went on to win six of the state’s seven House seats in November.

The court’s stay of the lower court’s ruling prompted three justices to write separate opinions at the time. Justice Elena Kagan dissented from the decision to block the lower court’s decision, in a 12-page opinion joined by Justices Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor. In her view, the lower court’s ruling was clearly correct under the Supreme Court’s voting-rights case law, and the majority was wrong to put that ruling on hold.

Roberts wrote his own dissent in which he suggested that there was uncertainty about what litigants must show to prevail on a vote-dilution claim like the challengers’. But he would not put the lower court’s decision on hold, he explained, because he believed it was consistent with current voting-rights law.

And Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote a concurring opinion, joined by Justice Samuel Alito, in which he emphasized that the court’s order simply put the lower court’s ruling on hold until the Supreme Court could review it. He also argued that freezing the ruling was consistent with the election-law doctrine known as the Purcell principle – the idea that federal courts should not change state election rules shortly before an election.

After nearly two hours of oral argument in October, a majority of the court appeared ready to side with the state and permanently set aside the lower court’s ruling. But with Kavanaugh joining forces with Chief Justice John Roberts and the court’s three liberal justices, the court on Thursday instead upheld the lower court’s ruling. In a 34-page opinion by Roberts, the majority agreed with the challengers that the lower court had correctly applied the Supreme Court’s 1986 decision in Thornburg v. Gingles, which outlines a three-part test to evaluate claims brought under Section 2, to reach its conclusion that the new map violated the VRA.

Roberts considered, but rejected, two of the state’s arguments regarding the Gingles framework. First, he gave little weight to the state’s contention that the maps that the challengers offered fell short because they failed to keep the Gulf Coast region, in the southwest part of the state, in the same district. “Only two witnesses testified that the Gulf Coast was” the kind of “community of interest” that should be preserved in the same district, Roberts observed. And in any event, he continued, the challengers’ maps “joined together a different community of interest called the Black Belt,” an area with a large number of rural Black voters, many of whom are the descendants of former enslaved persons.

Roberts next dismissed the state’s argument that the challengers’ maps, unlike the state’s maps, fail to retain the “core” of the previous maps. The Supreme Court, he stressed, “has never held that a State’s adherence to a previously used districting plan can defeat a” Section 2 claim. Otherwise, he said, states could “immunize from challenge a new racially discriminatory redistricting plan simply by claiming that it resembled an old racially discriminatory plan.”

The real issue before the court, Roberts explained, was not whether the lower court had applied existing law – Gingles – but instead “Alabama’s attempt to remake our §2 jurisprudence anew” by focusing on computer-generated maps that are created without considering race at all. But that single-minded focus on the computer-generated maps – the so-called “race-neutral benchmark” – is inconsistent with the VRA’s requirement that courts look at the entirety of the circumstances, Roberts observed. Moreover, he emphasized, such an interpretation would require a change to the Ginglesframework “that has been the baseline of our §2 jurisprudence for nearly forty years.”

Roberts also pushed back against the state’s suggestion that a race-neutral benchmark should be used because the Supreme Court’s current Section 2 case law “inevitably” requires states to ensure that the number of majority-minority districts is representative of the state’s demographics. Section 2 creates no such obligation, Roberts retorted, and the limitations imposed under the Gingles framework have in fact meant that, in recent years, Section 2 lawsuits have rarely been successful. The “exacting requirements” of Section 2, Roberts said, “limit judicial intervention to ‘those instances of intensive racial politics’ where the ‘excessive role [of race] in the electoral process … den[ies] minority voters equal opportunity to participate.”

Finally, Roberts rejected the state’s contention that the challengers should be required to show that any differences between the state’s plan and any race-neutral benchmarks can only be explained by racial discrimination. Both the court’s own cases and Congress “clearly” declined to require an intent to discriminate as a condition for liability under Section 2, he explained.

Kavanaugh authored a brief concurring opinion of his own in which he addressed several points at the center of Alabama’s argument but made clear that he agreed with Roberts that “Alabama’s redistricting plan violates §2 of the Voting Rights Act as interpreted in” Gingles. He also addressed a point made by Justice Clarence Thomas, who in his dissent argued that even if Congress once had the power to authorize race-based redistricting, “the authority to conduct race-based redistricting cannot extend indefinitely into the future.” The state, Kavanaugh stressed, had not raised that argument in the Supreme Court, and so he would “not consider it at this time.”

Thomas penned a 48-page dissent that was joined by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined in part by Justices Samuel Alito and Amy Coney Barrett. He described the case as “yet another installment in the disastrous misadventure of this Court’s voting rights jurisprudence.”

Thomas characterized the question before the justices as whether Section 2 “requires the State of Alabama to intentionally redraw its longstanding congressional districts so that black voters can control a number of seats roughly proportional to the black share of the State’s population.” But Section 2 “demands no such thing,” Thomas insisted. To the contrary, Thomas argued, Section 2 does not apply to redistricting at all, but instead only to laws or policies that regulate access to the ballot or the counting of the ballot.

But if Section 2 does apply to redistricting, Thomas continued, the lower court’s interpretation of it violates the Constitution because under that reading the law “does not remedy or deter unconstitutional discrimination in redistricting” but instead “requires it, hijacking the districting process” to allocate political power based on race.

Alito wrote a separate dissent, joined by Gorsuch, in which he criticized the majority’s decision as inconsistent with the text of Section 2, its own cases, “and the fundamental principle that States are almost always prohibited from basing decisions on race.” Thursday’s ruling, he warned, “unnecessarily sets the VRA on a perilous and unfortunate path.”

Thursday’s ruling is the third in a series of decisions involving the Voting Rights Act in the past decade. Two recent decisions had narrowed the act’s reach. In Shelby County v. Holder in 2013, a divided court struck down Section 5 of the VRA, which contained the formula used to determine which state and local governments must obtain approval from the federal government before making any changes to their voting laws and procedures (including maps). This approval requirement, known as “preclearance,” was intended to prevent voting-related discrimination by governments with a history of such discrimination – which, until 2013, included Alabama – before the laws or policies could go into effect.

Writing for the majority in Shelby County, Roberts emphasized that “things have changed dramatically” since the Supreme Court first upheld the VRA in 1966 – but the coverage formula had not, which is not fair. Therefore, although the preclearance requirement remains in place, no government has had to comply with it since 2013, because Congress has not enacted a new formula.

And in 2021, in Brnovich v. Democratic National Committee, the court – by a vote of 6-3 – upheld two Arizona voting provisions that Democrats and civil rights groups had challenged as disproportionate burdens on minority voters. Alito’s opinion for the majority outlined a series of “guideposts” for future challenges to voting laws that, taken together, make it more difficult to contest election regulations under Section 2. The Brnovichdecision did not address, however, Section 2 vote-dilution claims like the ones before the court in the Alabama case.

The decision came as somewhat of a surprise after the oral argument in October, at which the court’s conservative justices seemed likely to set aside the lower court’s ruling. But it was a welcome surprise for the challengers and their supporters. In a press release, Abha Khanna – who argued on behalf of one set of challengers – called Thursday’s ruling “the right decision” that affirmed “the district court’s ruling in accordance with decades of established precedent.”

Bolded highlights mine

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lemming posted:

From what I understanding this decision more or less upholds the lower court's ruling, but since they had issued a stay on that ruling, they used these maps in the 2022 election and it could've easily given the house to Democrats

So the effect of this has already been that the Supreme Court gave the house to Republicans in the last election
That makes it TWO supreme courts that gave the Republicans the House because the Supreme Court of New York blew up a Democratic gerrymander there that cost them 3-5 seats.

Jaxyon posted:

Posters slowly comprehending the pervasive nature of white supremacy ITT
This is so loving stupid, I demonstrated an existing clear understanding of every concept you Leftsplained to me in the thread today, consider that somebody might disagree with you without being ignorant. I was the one who brought up unconscious bias in the first place, ffs.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
This will open the gates to eliminating gerrymanders in other states too right? That would all but guarantee the house flips blue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

That’s not where the goalposts started at all but whatever. I guess I’ll just agree that the only possible reason in the entire world somebody would talk about the region with the highest birth rates when asked a question about overpopulation is because of racism. Yet another brilliant deduction by D&D’s greatest minds.

vvv No, I agree with you! You did it! You won me over! Great job!

My dude the appropriate answer to that sort of question would be to point out how malthusianism has been discredited for years and has nothing to do with the choices we make as societies that result in inequities in how resources are distributed. Not to repeat old busted and racist talking points.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Beetus posted:

My dude the appropriate answer to that sort of question would be to point out how malthusianism has been discredited for years and has nothing to do with the choices we make as societies that result in inequities in how resources are distributed. Not to repeat old busted and racist talking points.
That’s probably the best answer but it’s absolutely positively not the only one that can come from a place other than racism.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mellow Seas posted:

This is so loving stupid, I demonstrated an existing clear understanding of every concept you Leftsplained to me in the thread today, consider that somebody might disagree with you without being ignorant. I was the one who brought up unconscious bias in the first place, ffs.

No, i was the one who brought it up, you were making a semantic distinction, and have been for several posts.

Stating you understand something isn't the same as showing you actually do.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, well, explaining something to somebody who already understands it doesn’t mean you taught it to them, no matter how smug you are

I’m not even going to try to unpack your reasoning of how the disagreement being semantic means I don’t understand things, and not that we were just having a stupid loving goon conversation neither of us was willing to drop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

That’s probably the best answer but it’s absolutely positively not the only one that can come from a place other than racism.

I mean sure, but in that case he should have thought of one of them. I mean, he is the climate czar right? He should be well aware of this information?

v lmao v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 8, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Why isn't USPol in comic sans anymore? And with way more posts and in D&D now?

Oh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

snorch posted:

This will open the gates to eliminating gerrymanders in other states too right? That would all but guarantee the house flips blue.

Cook moved AL-1 & 2 from "Solid R" to "Toss Up." as well as LA-5 & 6 to "Solid R" to "Toss Up." ,and NC-1 switched from “Toss Up” to “Lean D.”

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The supreme court case is just about racial gerrymandering, which is the same as partisan gerrymandering in the south but not in general. I think it's two extra seats plus outside chances at a few others.

Wisconsin might also fix its congressional map by 2024, but that's unrelated.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Why isn't USPol in comic sans anymore? And with way more posts and in D&D now?

Oh

Because you missed me :kiss:

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Cook moved AL-1 & 2 from "Solid R" to "Toss Up." as well as LA-5 & 6 to "Solid R" to "Toss Up." ,and NC-1 switched from “Toss Up” to “Lean D.”

Are these the only ones? That's why I was looking for the Cook article. There are plenty of gerrymandered states elsewhere that I'd hope this would affect. Maybe Ohio could be revisited?

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1666822494635036675?s=20

Frustrating to see the court clutch their pearls about separation of powers when questioned about Thomas's corruption, and then do this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So, what pending cases this session have the potential to do something a million times worse than what this case has fixed?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1666839607911100416

Fellas is "My client has the impulse control of a 3 year old" an affirmative defense to prosecution?

But isn't the primary accusation not that Trump simply took the documents without understanding what he was doing, but covering it up and not giving them back when the FBI asked him politely to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

small butter posted:

But isn't the primary accusation not that Trump simply took the documents without understanding what he was doing, but covering it up and not giving them back when the FBI asked him politely to do so?

Listen, Trump is just like a toddler who took something and doesn't want to give it back despite being asked to. Would you arrest a toddler for not giving back something?