Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1666878146422136832

quote:

Wiklöf, who owns Wiklöf Holding estimated to be worth $10 million, may regret speeding this time, but this isn’t his first infraction by a long shot. In the last decade Wiklöf has racked up over $300,000 in speeding tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"The Speeding Fines just got 10% higher!"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

leftist heap posted:

i think I'm somewhat sympathetic to arguments that things like speed cameras have issues in the US due to, you know, how monstrously hosed up the country is from top to bottom, but also the people making the arguments seem to think that literally nothing can ever be accomplished short of a revolution which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen any time soon. this same sort of thing seems to happen with gun control

It could happen. I know I was rude earlier to this post:

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But yeah, more speed cameras. Also have the cameras not administered by the police.

... but in the US that would mean wrestling the cameras and tracking systems away from the cops on a city-by-city and county-by-county basis. Not impossible, but it would be an incredibly huge undertaking and very uncharacteristic of the US. So from where I'm sitting "speed cameras now, police reform later" might as well be wishing on a star.

Irony.or.Death posted:

your concerns are reasonable and valid but also so completely devoid of context that they are stupid. yes, it is true that anywhere in the US that gets speed cameras will do it the dumbest way possible. it is also true that the dumbest way possible is still better than no speed cameras, because they are they only way we're getting any sort of traffic enforcement that isn't just random summary executions for driving while black and if we do not start getting traffic enforcement people are just going to keep running over more and more small children/pedestrians/cyclists/pets/storefronts/living rooms/other cars/loving anything they can fit under their new truck.

put in the speed cameras now, we can take them away from the police when you push your police reform plan through.

Yeah, someone who got shot in the arm by a jumpy cop during a traffic stop would have been better off getting a ticket in the mail. No argument there. I'm just not convinced we're coming out ahead by giving those same cops more tools to track us.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Jun 8, 2023

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

wash bucket posted:

... but in the US that would mean wrestling the cameras and tracking systems away from the cops on a city-by-city and county-by-county basis. Not impossible, but it would be an incredibly huge undertaking and very uncharacteristic of the US.

Yeah, someone who got shot in the arm by a jumpy cop during a traffic stop would have been better off getting a ticket in the mail. No argument there. I'm just not convinced we're coming out ahead by giving those same cops more tools to track us.

They're already tracking you with an entirely separate and vastly more complex and effective system, right now. Automatic speed cameras and red light cameras are not part of that system.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Look I'll drop the speed camera thing. It doesn't matter what I think because we're already miles down this road and we're going to see where it ends up like it or not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wash bucket posted:

... but in the US that would mean wrestling the cameras and tracking systems away from the cops on a city-by-city and county-by-county basis. Not impossible, but it would be an incredibly huge undertaking and very uncharacteristic of the US.

you've turned me around. we should get rid of licensing requirements (tracks you and your car) and fascist road signage (which is all of them), brought to you by the same folks in charge of speed cameras in MN. the construction workers can go gently caress themselves.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

you've turned me around. we should get rid of licensing requirements (tracks you and your car) and fascist road signage (which is all of them), brought to you by the same folks in charge of speed cameras in MN. the construction workers can go gently caress themselves.

the construction workers most at risk from unsafe drivers are road crews. are you sure you want to support the monsters building and maintaining the asphalt rivers of death?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1 night in jail for every time your phone moves at a sustained rate of 31 mph or more

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, of course it's a Swede.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

put the cameras everywhere

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MikeLindblom/status/1666797399220846595?s=20

$200,000 per parking space. There will be no charge for using those spaces.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

lmao graft has completely crippled this country

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

bUt iT's pUbLiC tRaNsIt iNfRaStRuCtUrE

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this thread contained a cool finding Re: WFH and public transit

https://twitter.com/icgee/status/1665739397008879616
https://twitter.com/icgee/status/1664401233791074313
https://twitter.com/icgee/status/1664401244155150337
https://twitter.com/icgee/status/1664401252644446211

Apr 7, 2003

noted weed dad and travel guy Rick Steves did a series of episodes about Switzerland and was big on pointing out that you don't need a car to tour there, you can just get around via trains. seems awesome.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

noted weed dad and travel guy Rick Steves did a series of episodes about Switzerland and was big on pointing out that you don't need a car to tour there, you can just get around via trains. seems awesome.

can confirm. I recently visited this small island in the middle of lago maggiore for a day trip entirely via public transit

e: not just trains though, we have very important ferries, faniculars, gondolas, and busses run by the post office to get to remote trail heads

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jun 8, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

rick steves ftw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lmao graft has completely crippled this country

What do you have against the profit motive and also jesus

webcams for christ posted:

can confirm. I recently visited this small island in the middle of lago maggiore for a day trip entirely via public transit

the better gardens are at the other end of the lake!

jk, theyre all great.

Mr. Sharps posted:

rick steves ftw

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The MTA complains about lower ridership all the time. and blames it on remote work

but then refuses to run more trains on nights and weekends. headways on some lines are regularly 20 minutes on the weekend. not to mention the number of lines that get rerouted with explanations that may as well be hieroglyphics

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

last weekend i waited 23 goddamn minutes for a D train at 103rd street (that's upper west side, on central park) because there were no C trains and because... no one wants to go to/from central park on a saturday at noon i guess

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the nyc speed cameras are administered by the department of transportation not the police. so even in the usa it is possible.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

the nyc speed cameras are administered by the department of transportation not the police. so even in the usa it is possible.

in a police state, all departments are the police department.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Aight well I'm glad to have an example in the US where the police aren't directly administering and monitoring them. Everything I've ever found were local journalists trying to blow the whistle on the police running them with the same system they use in their cars to track and log license plates. Presumably because some vendors are out there selling all-in-one systems to city governments.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
a friend and I were complaining together recently about how poo poo transit is in the SF Bay Area, and how baffling it is that despite its unambiguous shittiness on a world scale, the SFBA is still easily in the top 10 metros in the US for transit. Maybe top 5. My friend pointed out that if you think about the characteristics of a city and the services and amenities it should offer to its residents, it's possible that New York is the USA's only actual city. everywhere else is just a big town, or a bunch of sprawl scattered in between freeways.

I'm aware that NYC has its own problems, like for instance the subway there is falling apart because there's not enough money going into it, but at least it's got something to criticize. something you can roughly stack up against the metros in Paris or Moscow, or against the U and S bahns all over Germany. You can't even do an apples-to-apples comparison of transit in the Bay Area against someplace like Tokyo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Then they've already got all your info already. I just want it to be less likely I get pulped walking my dog in the evening and nobody else has put forward any proposal more serious to stop that from happening. Why wait around doing nothing for no reason other than vague government bad libertarian ones? Every day action is delayed is another dozen dead kids, and every day that number ticks up a bit more too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's not gonna work. Maybe a threat of violence like some road rager brandishing a gun

oh we've got that too.

this morning I saw a lady blow a red light so she could sit a half block away at the next light where we all ended up seconds later. she also had a tiny dog in her lap with its head out the window and I think there's a correlation here.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

people driving cars should be made to feel as oppressed as possible at every turn

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

zero knowledge posted:

a friend and I were complaining together recently about how poo poo transit is in the SF Bay Area, and how baffling it is that despite its unambiguous shittiness on a world scale, the SFBA is still easily in the top 10 metros in the US for transit. Maybe top 5. My friend pointed out that if you think about the characteristics of a city and the services and amenities it should offer to its residents, it's possible that New York is the USA's only actual city. everywhere else is just a big town, or a bunch of sprawl scattered in between freeways.

I'm aware that NYC has its own problems, like for instance the subway there is falling apart because there's not enough money going into it, but at least it's got something to criticize. something you can roughly stack up against the metros in Paris or Moscow, or against the U and S bahns all over Germany. You can't even do an apples-to-apples comparison of transit in the Bay Area against someplace like Tokyo.

A lot of it is also just uneven across the Bay Area, the city has decent coverage and a good mix of lines, but otherwise BART is ridiculous (very low frequency, high fares, safety is an issue), and Caltrain is getting better, but it is even more expensive. In the end, it is still California, and about 90-80% of the Bay Area you still need a car.

A lot of it is 1. none of the major systems are really integrated with each other well outside of Market Street, 2. there are very clear capital projects that need to happen, such as a second trans-bay tunnel that are still decades away (if ever happen), and 3. outside of Muni, transit is priced with the expectation you have money to throw at it, and 4. San Jose's LRT is completely useless. Also, I don't know why BART is being expanded to Santa Clara when there is going to be an electrified Caltrain line right next to it. Basically, the Bay Area systems just seem more chaotically run and funded compared to almost any metro area in not just the US, but probably the world at this point.

I think SF actually made some decent improvements in recent years with its new BRT/bus lanes, which obviously are fine for the areas they are serving, and expanding MUNI to Chinatown was probably justifiable, but that is really just investment in north or northeast SF which is just a really small part of the Bay Area. Basically, it isn't that there isn't infrastructure or no improvements being made, but there is no coherent vision or affordable structure, so it is a complete mess.

--------

NYC for the most part, at least has a unified system under the MTA (New Jersey is its own issue), but as long as it remains under the state it isn't going anywhere, and it has such high costs/decades of lack of maintenance that the Federal government also just has to step in at some point. I know some (former) New Yorkers like Rossman want to just blame corruption/incompetence/unions etc, but at the end of the day you can't just run a system built (and still largely unchanged) from the early 20th century without having to pour tens of billions in it to modernize it. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

-----

It is better than LA where it is just the idea of the system and neither Metro or the city really care because it is "just for poor people." Yeah, occasionally some stations are built every few years, but there is little to no desire to make it an efficient and comfortable system that is a real alternative to cars. That goes for most of the car culture cities in the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Jun 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the oldest part of the nyc subway anyway, I'm seeing '85 on wikipedia but I don't know what it is, says a structure

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the oldest part of the nyc subway anyway, I'm seeing '85 on wikipedia but I don't know what it is, says a structure

you're asking 1885, right?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

The earliest tunnels were built at the turn of the century, but eventually they were connected to pre-existing elevated lines in the boroughs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

in a police state, all departments are the police department.

Abolish all government, that sure sounds like a good idea that no crackpots are in favour of.

I mean, maybe you kinda need a hard reset in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that less government because government bad is a dumbass libertarian take

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I think SF actually made some decent improvements in recent years with its new BRT/bus lanes, which obviously are fine for the areas they are serving, and expanding MUNI to Chinatown was probably justifiable, but that is really just investment in north or northeast SF which is just a really small part of the Bay Area. Basically, it isn't that there isn't infrastructure or no improvements being made, but there is no coherent vision or affordable structure, so it is a complete mess.

I don't want to be a one sided doomer so it's worth noting that Van Ness BRT is a big success and I am hopeful it'll lead to more such projects (the 38 Geary is begging for it). But it's so hard to be optimistic about the future of transit in the SFBA when BART is on the verge of catastrophic collapse, Muni service keeps getting cut back, and the only things that governments seem to want to spend money on is widening freeways and deploying sheriff's deputies to "compassionately" lock up drug users.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
New chapo premium ep just opens with bashing cycling for like 5 min ugggh just gently caress off

Apr 7, 2003

lol chapo has been/is 100% an op to redirect youth interest in leftist politics into reactionary outlets

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

really happy I gave up on chapo in 2020

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BonHair posted:

Abolish all government, that sure sounds like a good idea that no crackpots are in favour of.

I mean, maybe you kinda need a hard reset in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that less government because government bad is a dumbass libertarian take

no government 🔜 no road. end of story! :coolzone:

I'm being sarcastic in response to someone else's ideas itt

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Jun 9, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i was wondering when someone was gonna complain about that this morning lol

Apr 7, 2003

more like Crapo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ham Equity posted:

Goddamnit Sound Transit is just so aggressively stupid. Why are they like this?